• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In swimming, countries use B teams in relay qualifying, A teams in finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuckthew

When we're talking about 'preliminaries', I assume it's qualifications rather than heats? Because I'm sure I've seen Phelps et al do swims before finals...unless I've been deceived by their genius...

Futureman

Most of the swimmers don't even look tired right after they finish a race. Do you really think if Phelps had to swim a prelim race the day before, he would be so tired he'd lose the next day?

giphy.gif

Lkr

The point is that this is an interesting little known fact.

Most people just see Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Nathan Adrian on the podium all the time without realizing that 4 other people they've never heard of also got the same medal for the same event.

I'm American, btw.
That makes sense. I'm a super sports nerd so I watch all of the heats and semi finals like the nerd I am. I'm assuming 98% of Americans watching the swimming finals don't watch any of the prelims unless they are in prime time between a medal race

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
horrible clickt bait title, can't wait for some mod to make a clever backfire on the OP.

In my opinion this is cheating. Do other countries do this as well? The rules should be changed. You shouldnt be allowed to rest and save your strenght for the final. Also ridiculous to give somone who didnt swim the final a medal. Did you pass the finish line? No. Olympics are a joke.

yes they do, its not as if only the USA is allowed to this. Its not cheating in the slightest.

If it's a team event, and you helped the team by performing at your best during the non prestigious moments (keeping the top guys fresh), don't you deserve to be rewarded too?

No one complains that the guys playing 10 minutes a night also get rings in the NBA, they still have to go out there and help the team not lose while the stars catch a breather. Or it would be much harder on the superstars.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
When we're talking about 'preliminaries', I assume it's qualifications rather than heats? Because I'm sure I've seen Phelps et al do swims before finals...unless I've been deceived by their genius...

OP is trying to confuse. He's only speaking about team relays. Where it's a *gasp* team event. You can't change out people in solo events which is what you've seen Phelps racing in before the finals.

p2535748

You should really remove "USA" from the title. Other countries do this as well. Not to the extent of the US, because the US has the deepest team, but they definitely do it. Look at the list of swimmers in the 4x100 from 2012 here

Here's the French Prelims:

Amaury Leveaux (48.61)
Alain Bernard (48.31)
Clément Lefert (48.14)
Jeremy Stravius (48.32)

Here's the finals:

Amaury Leveaux (48.13)
Fabien Gilot (47.67)
Clément Lefert (47.39)
Yannick Agnel (46.74)

It's pretty standard in swimming to do it, since relays have the prelims and finals on the same day, unlike other events.

As long as it all counts as one gold per event, they could give Phelp's mom, wife and baby a gold medal every time he wins, for all I care.

if other countries were better at swimming the US wouldnt be able to do this. and since it does not have any effect on the medal count the main impact seems to be more americans getting laid in the olympic village, which i have no problem with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's fine because you have to actually be good enough to get your B team to win the prelims.

Aren't there like a billion gold medals for swimming in the first place? At this rate, anyone who has ever been submerged in a body of water are underachieving if they don't have an Olympic gold medal.

LiK

Very good strategy. All the athletes need to be good enough to get through all of the prelims and finals anyway so this is not an issue.

Lkr

You should really remove "USA" from the title. Other countries do this as well. Not to the extent of the US, because the US has the deepest team, but they definitely do it. Look at the list of swimmers in the 4x100 from 2012 here

Here's the French Prelims:

Amaury Leveaux (48.61)
Alain Bernard (48.31)
Clément Lefert (48.14)
Jeremy Stravius (48.32)

Here's the finals:

Amaury Leveaux (48.13)
Fabien Gilot (47.67)
Clément Lefert (47.39)
Yannick Agnel (46.74)

It's pretty standard in swimming to do it, since relays have the prelims and finals on the same day, unlike other events.

france and usa are cheating bros in the olympics

Lothar

Banned
I didn't know about this before. But that's very cool. I thought it was bullshit yesterday when I heard that Phelps was replacing someone thinking the person he replaced wouldn't get a medal. This is good.

Phased

It's a swimming team, the team qualifies as a whole not the swimmer. I don't see a problem here.

If the US has such a strong roster that they can easily qualify with just their B team I think that's the bigger story here.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Guys did you know that basketball is a five vs five game, but all 12 players on the team get medals?

Wolfe

"Reads title"

Ah, cause this is something only the USA knows about and utilizes correct?

Right??

If it only counts as one medal on the tally, I don't see a problem.

Well it's not a problem for Phelps since he actually swims in the finals, but if he's feeling tired he could swim the heats for some of the relays and then when the team gets the gold his tally of gold medals would just keep increasing.

He could conceivably do that in Tokyo 2020 and keep increasing his legend even if he wasn't in top form to compete. He has too much self respect to do that, but the fact it could be done is a little shitty.

mclem

The interesting thing in my eyes is that this means that they can't quite be sure how many medals they need to manufacture. Have they ever run out? "Here's your medal... here's your IOU"

I mean, if you have people who are good enough to get you into the finals and can rest your main swimmers I don't have a problem with this. Gives teams with more depth the advantage

It's a swimming team, the team qualifies as a whole not the swimmer. I don't see a problem here.

If the US has such a strong roster that they can easily qualify with just their B team I think that's the bigger story here.

Yeah this.

Spinoff90

Assumed this was common knowledge? You will have a hard time finding any relay team in the finals that don't do this. Swimming events happen in such rapid succession that it is pretty much a necessity to do this to avoid swimmers having an individual event too close to a relay.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Other countries can only do the same if they have an equally deep pool of relay swimmers, which is a pretty big ask. I must admit, it does seem unfair on reflection that the best possible hypothetical 4-person relay team could still not get Gold because they had to do two events. I feel like it would be pretty fair to restrict the relay team in the finals to the same time that swim in the preliminaries.

I sort of agree with this. A team is a team and like gymnastics they should have them all compete to see who makes it into the 4 (max 5 to allow for injury like soccer/basketball...) person team, then that team should actually compete in prelims and finals. No swapping the whole team at will.

mm04

You must be new to team sports. It's no different than football clubs resting some of their stars in early rounds of qualifying. Bench players get rewarded too. Shocking.

Ruruja

Isn't just the USA that do this.

This also happens in 4x100 and 4x400 races in Athletics.

You wouldn't see Usain Bolt in the 4x100 heats.

This isn't an issue.

Korey

Assumed this was common knowledge? You will have a hard time finding any relay team in the finals that don't do this. Swimming events happen in such rapid succession that it is pretty much a necessity to do this to avoid swimmers having an individual event too close to a relay.
Japan, who won the bronze in the 4x200(?) free relay, swam all 4 same people in the prelims/finals.

Other competitive countries typically field 5 total swimmers or at most 6. USA always does 7-8.

Fury451

Banned
As has been pointed out, this doesn't boost the overall tally, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Also, every other country that competes in the events is essentially doubling their medal count anyways if you use the logic that the OP does, so doesn't it even out regardless?

PSqueak

Banned
Well, that makes sense, who would want to be the B-team guy who does half of Phelp's work and not get a medal?

If it was a team effort, it makes sense they all get medals.

4Tran

It's not too different from other sports where backup players are part of the team, but they still can get a medal even if they don't play. At least the swimmers contributed to the medal. The only unfair part of this is that it confers an advantage to stronger countries by allowing their best swimmer to rest before the final.

Do people know why ping pong double have three names on the team now. Is it following the same rule?
Table tennis doesn't have doubles as an event any more. It's been replaced with the team event, and there are three players on a team. These teams play (up to) 5 matches:

1. Player A plays a singles match.
2. Player B plays a singles match.
3. Players A and C play a doubles match.
4. Player B plays a singles match.
5. Player C plays a singles match.

Korey

Updated the OP with the results from the 4x100 medley relays (men and women). We won both, which means USA won gold in 5/6 relay events.

In both, we again used 4 B-team swimmers in the prelims, and 4 completely different people in the finals, which means that 16 Americans received gold medals instead of 8.

4×100 medley relay (men)
MjMj2i1.png
Prelims:
aZZ0Sw3.png
David Plummer,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Kevin Cordes,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Tom Shields,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Caeleb Dressel; Finals:
aZZ0Sw3.png
Ryan Murphy,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Cody Miller,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Michael Phelps,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Nathan Adrian

4×100 medley relay (women)
MjMj2i1.png
Prelims:
aZZ0Sw3.png
Olivia Smoliga,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Katie Meili,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Kelsi Worrell,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Abbey Weitzeil; Finals:
aZZ0Sw3.png
Kathleen Baker,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Lilly King,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Dana Vollmer,
aZZ0Sw3.png
Simone Manuel

If I were going to argue any of this was unfair (which I wouldn't), I'd make an argument about the A Team racers getting to focus on their individual events while the B team races for them in the relays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom