• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Phelps breaks 2168-year-old Olympic record with 13th individual gold medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I did sound for some Olympic commercials for the London games. It was pretty interesting. Phelps was, by and large, a joke to the other athletes who seemingly unanimously cracked jokes about how humorless and rude he was. My minor interaction with him was pretty negative.

I'm thinking the guy just has a single-minded determination that drives him to be the best, and that rad, but I wonder if he's happy? I'd love to spend a day in his head. What a weird figure. Like, how does your brain have to work to care about swimming that much?

Fucking amazing he broke that record regardless. Literally legendary.

sangreal

I did sound for some Olympic commercials for the London games. It was pretty interesting. Phelps was, by and large, a joke to the other athletes who seemingly unanimously cracked jokes about how humorless and rude he was. My minor interaction with him was pretty negative.

I'm thinking the guy just has a single-minded determination that drives him to be the best, and that rad, but I wonder if he's happy? I'd love to spend a day in his head. What a weird figure. Like, how does your brain have to work to care about swimming that much?

Fucking amazing he broke that record regardless. Literally legendary.

I mean the guy has 2 DUIs, not the sign of someone living a stable happy life outside of swimming. I'm glad he is able to find an outlet he both enjoys and excels at though

leonidas-18.jpg

LOL, the conditions of 2168 years ago were way more brutal without the tech, science, medicine, footwear etc

Totally missing the point? The conditions were different, sure, but they were the same for everyone competing at that time. Relatively, everyone was on equal ground then, just as they are now (theoretically).

Hell yeah he'll go, why would you pass up going to Tokyo for free and maybe win more medals?

It gets significantly harder to keep one's body at olympic level with each passing year, especially swimming which is one of the hardest sports to keep a competitive level, sure maybe he can win one or two medals if he tries, but the physical toll is going to be significantly bigger at 35

Besides, he has a baby girl now, he's probably going to focus on her for the next few years, meaning his training is going to be significantly affected by this, assuming he can even train

These are definitely indications these are his last Olympics and there's no better way to end them than breaking a 2168 year old record

dabig2

Amazing run by Phelps. Hell, wasn't he supposed to retire before these Olympics? It wasn't until opening day that I even knew he was competing.

TDLink

I feel like Leonidas doesn't really have to hold any sort of L...he held that record for over two millenniums. No shame in someone finally surpassing that. Michael Phelps is incredible.

Of course he is, dude is basically a mutant coincidentally designed to be the world's greatest swimmer with his weirdly long arms longer than his height, larger feet, thin body and super lungs. He is the poster boy for finding what he was put on this earth for.

Seriously though, great job.

mollipen

Uh, what?

Watching events he's in is dull. Oh hey, he's going to win again. That isn't exciting to me. It's exciting when things are close, or when people don't win and then they do and it means something.

Plus, I don't really like him on a personal level, so that helps. Not dogging on his fans, and I'm certainly not saying that he isn't crazy impressive, because he is, nor taking away from his accomplishments. I just don't find people/teams who destroy the competition so often to be at all fun to watch.

Joni

LOL, the conditions of 2168 years ago were way more brutal without the tech, science, medicine, footwear etc

Also the clothes. Leonidas won the nude running competitions. Well, except the Hoplitodromos, that he won carrying a shield and helmet. I don't see Phelps doing either of those.

He's calling it quits after this right? No way he goes to Tokyo.

The guy can't live without the sport. The fact he is competing here, already shows it.

Bitanator

Watching events he's in is dull. Oh hey, he's going to win again. That isn't exciting to me. It's exciting when things are close, or when people don't win and then they do and it means something.

Plus, I don't really like him on a personal level, so that helps. Not dogging on his fans, and I'm certainly not saying that he isn't crazy impressive, because he is, nor taking away from his accomplishments. I just don't find people/teams who destroy the competition so often to be at all fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KLy-NnTD2o that race was not boring, he has been in close ones, they are anything but boring

I know he is adamant saying he won't come back for the next Games, but really if the man is still performing like this he should. That's 4 years away, and maybe he won't be the same then as he is now, but if he is even near this level he should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom