• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft against curvy women

King Dazzar

So we wont see Phil applauding Stella Blade's inevitable success then. Best they forgo GTA VI too, as that's got to be the most outrageous game to have on their system...

The management is soo in touch with their audience.... nobody likes tits and ass, especially gamers. Yet another head scratcher...

Last edited:
This is what they said:

Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes?

• Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design?
  • Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
  • When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability?

I dont think curvy women=exaggerated body proportions like the website editorializes.

This is dumb as hell. Imagine living in a world as sexualized as the one we live in, where women sexualize themselves in media constantly, but we cannot have a decent looking female character.
That last bullet point is stupid as well. We all know men have a full range of emotions, but what they are saying here in so many words is do not make them manly with typical male characteristics. That combined with:

• Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers.

Is just a continued attempt to blur genders.

I hope so much that Stellar Blade sells millions.......

Kumomeme

as long nobody try to force japan and the rest of asia to follow the value, then it is up to them. they gonna reap what they sow sooner or later and by that time, im gonna eat my popcorn

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

They probably won't have any problems with this.
S8bfjzE.jpg

5gNy0wL.jpg

Yep and that's my issue. Double standards.

Straight women and gay men can have their eye candy, but straight men and lesbians can't?

These folks also don't understand that a character being sexy doesn't mean they're being sexualized. Devs aren't telling players how to view the character, nor can they.

Also, thinking a character is sexy doesn't mean that's the only thing you appreciate about them. Chun-Li is very sexy IMO but I also like her character because of morals & values, intellect, personality, and strength. Plus their cool moves. You can respect more than one part of a character and that doesn't mean you have to ignore the fact they're hot, or that them being sexy in design is inherently a problem.

But these puritans only impose their hateful shaming on female characters. Rather sexist discrimination on their part.

violence

Yep and that's my issue. Double standards.

Straight women and gay men can have their eye candy, but straight men and lesbians can't?

These folks also don't understand that a character being sexy doesn't mean they're being sexualized. Devs aren't telling players how to view the character, nor can they.

Also, thinking a character is sexy doesn't mean that's the only thing you appreciate about them. Chun-Li is very sexy IMO but I also like her character because of morals & values, intellect, personality, and strength. Plus their cool moves. You can respect more than one part of a character and that doesn't mean you have to ignore the fact they're hot, or that them being sexy in design is inherently a problem.

But these puritans only impose their hateful shaming on female characters. Rather sexist discrimination on their part.
You could say the dudes in Gears of War have exaggerated body proportions with their tree trunk limbs. Even the most infertile of weeaboo don’t feel threatened like these cat ladies do by sexy ladies.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
lol wtf, how is looking sexy a negative gender stereotype? Women are naturally curvy and are typically the ones objectifying themselves,
so not only is this denying their anatomy, but it's rather patronizing and arguably more sexist toward women than what they claim is sexist.

How is this inclusive if they're actively encouraging devs to exclude certain depictions? None of this makes any sense.
I notice there's a lack of so-called unrealistic standards for men being addressed. No that's not hypocritical at all...

I am so fucking tired of this culture war bullshit and this false dichotomy in particular being pushed.
I like variety. I want to see more cool and sexy characters, strange and funny characters, or even unattractive characters if the premise/setting calls for it.
The amount of bullshit "rules" being imposed by people on video games is insufferable.
It's no wonder video game narratives continue to play catch with the sophistication of other mediums like film and books.

I can understand welcome other body types (refusing to use the word diverse), but excluding curvy isn't very inclusive(hate that word too) in itself. I honestly think this mind set is so dudes that think they are women don't feel inadequate. If they'll go as far as to put tampons in men's restrooms, they'll get rid of hips and boobs for them too.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

I work in the games industry and most of the women I’ve worked with are hugely supportive of attractive female characters. Most of the other women I know in real life have no issue with it either. Mandates like this aren’t actually “for” women. They’re for a very small subset of Bay Area progressives — both men and women — with a very niche political lens who think they speak for all women.

This is what they said:

Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes?

• Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design?
  • Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
  • When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability?

I dont think curvy women=exaggerated body proportions like the website editorializes.
What is exaggerated then in the context of women? The oblivion character creator abominations? Nobody makes MCs looking like that. We can read between the lines and know they mean characters that go against their feminist agendaz and by they I mean the same types who lobbied to ban booth babes because feminism. MS would never make a character like 2B and we all know it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Who gives a shit about being unrealistic? People don’t go to like, Marvel movies so they can see average looking women and vulnerable, emotional guys. They go to see sexy super heroes kicking the shit out of villains.

That goes triple for video games, which are basically power fantasies where you’re some one-man (err… one-person) army taking down countless enemies by yourself.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I never cared one bit about characters being attractive in games, but then devs, publishers, diabetus fetus and the purple-hair nursery started throwing a fit over it; and now I want to buy Stellar Blade just on principal.

My main gripe now is not whether they're attractive in and of itself; but a trend of establishing characters in a conventionally attractive form, proceeding to drastically alter them and then all the usual cretins complaining when people notice/point it out. Using strawmans to deflect criticisms or gaslighting fans regarding reasons for the changes. MJ in spidey is a prime example.

wipeout364

Good looking women sell games. Microsoft wants to leave sales on the table that’s their decision. I am often swayed to buy a product by “curvy women”. A great game is only made better by their presence.

That Fable character is awful looking and I will be avoiding the game if that is the main character. Hopefully she is just a stand in for a full featured character creator.

Top Bottom