• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft against curvy women

So an artist could create a character that looks exactly like Christina Hendricks but Microsoft wouldn't allow it?

61OFFmyj67L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Flirty Reaction GIF

Fredrik

Make people feel seen and included.
Unless you’re hot and curvy, then you need to be excluded.

This makes me want to boycott them.

This is the bullshit MS is focusing on instead of worrying about releasing awesome games.

They need to leave devs alone to make whatever they want. Xbox needs all the help it can get right now when it comes to sales.

Look at what Eve in Stellar Blade and Tifa in FF7 are doing for Sony. Sure, both games aren't Sony games but they are funded and promoted by Sony and Sony isn't trying to censor them.

Sex sells and stupid woke modern thinking isn't going to deprogram hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution and instincts.

Stellar Blade is getting a shit ton of attention because it has a sexy female protagonist. Guys like Eve, and even girls like Eve too or want to dress up as her. My entire Twitter timeline is full of both guys and girls thirsting over Stellar Blade. If the game ends up being good like I think it will, Eve's sweet booty cheeks will propel the game huge heights and Eve might even end up becoming a Playstation mascot. All thanks to the sexy power of melons and peaches :messenger_sunglasses:🍑🍈🍈

Last edited:

Belthazar

Yep and that's my issue. Double standards.

Straight women and gay men can have their eye candy, but straight men and lesbians can't?

These folks also don't understand that a character being sexy doesn't mean they're being sexualized. Devs aren't telling players how to view the character, nor can they.

Also, thinking a character is sexy doesn't mean that's the only thing you appreciate about them. Chun-Li is very sexy IMO but I also like her character because of morals & values, intellect, personality, and strength. Plus their cool moves. You can respect more than one part of a character and that doesn't mean you have to ignore the fact they're hot, or that them being sexy in design is inherently a problem.

But these puritans only impose their hateful shaming on female characters. Rather sexist discrimination on their part.

Another example of that is Lara Croft. She was much more of a character in her earlier portrayal, despite being also built to be sexy (as sexy as a model could be using 3 polygons and half a texture anyway). She had a very clear personality, qualities and flaws, it was all very well realized and recognizable. Not to mention an iconic visual design.

Now cut to reboot Lara: a very sanitized character, with absolutely no recognizable traits to her personality or even visual design. Even her model could be replaced with a "Generic White Female #3" asset from the Unreal Store and not much would be lost in the process.

Man... Most developers need to start going back to the drawing board and learn how to do memorable character design again.

Last edited:

Megatron

If the reeeeee people had their way we'd be playing as unattractive 300+lb non gender specific characters who randomly ridicule Men every 5 minutes in the game. "Yikes, this is so problematic buddo."
Wish woah woah! I think you mean they randomly ridicule straight, white men there buddy!

IAmRei

i was planning on buying xbox later to complete my game platform in my studio. (already have PS, Switch, and old PC, will upgrade as needed) But, seeing "this", makes me wont EVER buy xbox ... fuck mic$

IAmRei

This stuff is so doomed. Asian devs don't give a fuck about this and will just enjoy the benefits of being handed an open goal to exploit.

At some point the penny's going to drop that losing ESG money isn't the worst-case scenario, its losing their entire market,
and how they could return their ESG money, if the game is not sold well too. awful decision makes awful situation.
it seems like, Asian Dev have another source, for asian like me, asian is better alternative rather than awful western games lately.

peish

Stop with your cheap virtue signaling and perhaps pay your employees more? MS has shit dog eat dog work culture

All these come across as hypocrisy and cheap (literally) talks

midnightAI

Recently, western game developers have been making a point to rally against “objectification” in games and are citing unrealistic beauty standards set by fictional characters.

This right here is the issue, can't separate fiction from reality.

Define exaggerated. Is Sofia Vergara exaggerated? Is Sydney Sweeney exaggerated? Angeline Jolie? Nikki Minaj, the diversity and inclusion champion? Kim Kardashian? Skinny queens Rooney and others like her; the read head from stranger things?
Fat chicks like Queen latifah and Megan Mccarthy?
What the FUCK does exaggerated mean?
Gorlock the Destroyer and/ or Lizzo........

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
and how they could return their ESG money, if the game is not sold well too. awful decision makes awful situation.
it seems like, Asian Dev have another source, for asian like me, asian is better alternative rather than awful western games lately.

My understanding is that if they keep their corporate social credit high, they get access to funding that they wouldn't otherwise get. Obviously with the cost of development ballooning like it has, big publishers are basically obligated to take this route as a risk mitigation practice.

Its a bad situation, and there's really nothing anyone can do about this when the people driving this "forced behaviour" are so rich and powerful they are effectively above the law.

Boss Mog

Microsoft cautions developers to avoid curvy female characters? Ok then, Boss Mog cautions gamers to avoid Microsoft consoles and software.

Top Bottom