• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft against curvy women

kubricks

Well only if they also urge developers not to create male characters with "exaggerated body proportions", like those muscular white male with "unobtainable" physique of an althele. I need more 40-60 years old out of shape eye sore couch potato with a dad bod.... that way I felt more represented.

American culture is fucking funny and I am in no part of it.

rubenburgt

This is such a weird timeline.

It used to be that Microsoft and Sony had no problem showing sexy curvy women and muscular bear chested men, and that Nintendo was the one who kept censoring their games.

Nowadays is it Microsoft and Sony trying to be as inclusive and PC as possible and is Nintendo allowing all kind of stuff in their game store.

Drew1440

It's just occurred to me Nicki Minaj might be the last curvy woman in a Microsoft/Activision game

084Es9Z.jpg

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
lol wtf, how is looking sexy a negative gender stereotype?
Have you seen the staff that push social norms, or the staff of DEI pushers?

Not to worry though. It's these folks that seem to have some of the most deplorable history going. You wouldn't want them looking after your dog, let alone have them push any kind of norm

It's how they got into these positions that should cause concern.

MS openly admitting they are hand in hand with SBI n that video about representation in gaming. I’m going to throw up now but honestly I shouldn’t be surprised. They are listed as one of the main studios SBI works with and with Phil and Co. proudly showing their pronouns on the company bios it shows they are made for eachother. MS coming out and basically saying to uglify pretty women in games. Fuck off MS.

Lumyst

From the reading I’ve done lately it seems that what happens is freedom of speech gets obfuscated by the “DEI beaurocracy.” To be seen as doing its job, I imagine that any company with DEI departments in creative industries or visual focused industries like advertising and entertainment starts coming up with guidelines like this. I’ve seen statements from some radical feminists that condemn “Men’s comical depictions of women” so this sort of guideline would come from that sort of spirit. It essentially censors the fun and amusement away from aesthetics that comes naturally from the mind I feel. In the past I hoped that diversity would be expansive and thought the DEI people were going to do it in that spirit, but it does appear to be used as a tool of beaurocratic power and censorship of all products instead.

Of course, it’s just guidelines, but I imagine that as a risk management sort of thing, to avoid let’s say “contributing to an environment of sexual harassment” due to the risk of a #metoo situation, many creators are feeling they can’t make a female character design that they want to.

Last edited:
"no exaggerated body proportions" ?
So no Minecraft, no Gears, no Sea of Thieves, no Psychonauts, no State of Decay, no Conker, no Banjo, no Doom, no Fable, no Dishonored, no Killer Instinct, no Diablo, no Starcraft, no Elder Scrolls, no Wolfenstein (at least TNO) anymore? Perfect Dark, CoD, Tony Hawk are safe though?
Bold move to extend support to Sony platforms and also eliminate most of their line up that has some levels of fantasy, sci fi and horror in another step.
This vague "exaggerated" guideline pretty much excludes anyone that is not average, ie skinnyfat to outright fat. Basically excluding a whole bunch of real people and all sorts of possible past and future artistic representations of humans (animals and aliens).

I just found out my PC gamepass expires today. Needless to say I removed any payment option and uninstalled the app.
This is my definitive goodbye to Microsoft.

Will I miss certain games? HELL YES!
But giving my money to a company division I don't support just to play a handful of games would be hypocrite.

Peace out MS, ya jell-o spined rat bastards.

Astral Dog

This is dumb as hell. Imagine living in a world as sexualized as the one we live in, where women sexualize themselves in media constantly, but we cannot have a decent looking female character.
That last bullet point is stupid as well. We all know men have a full range of emotions, but what they are saying here in so many words is do not make them manly with typical male characteristics. That combined with:

Is just a continued attempt to blur genders.

I hope so much that Stellar Blade sells millions.......

It used to be that Microsoft and Sony had no problem showing sexy curvy women and muscular bear chested men, and that Nintendo was the one who kept censoring their games.

Nowadays is it Microsoft and Sony trying to be as inclusive and PC as possible and is Nintendo allowing all kind of stuff in their game store.
Its a religious cult/ideology that has taken over the west

basically they want people to mutilate children to make boys into 'girls' and girls into 'boys(offering them to the healthcare system) ,they help this by trying to blur the distinctions between genders in all media, as much as possible

they also set to change(lower) the traditional standards of beauty eventually i think they will crumble though, as most people naturally don't find it appealing

Last edited:

chlorate

So, if you’re a MSFT shareholder, how do you justify this design document amidst the empirical popularity of women entertainers like Zendaya and Taylor Swift? It feels like the institution has been captured by activists who are pushing an image that runs in opposition to pop culture: how does this make money?

It’s not like Microsoft has been a gaming powerhouse as of late.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Stellar Blade is coming out and you're lumping Microsoft and Sony in the same category?

I've been an Xbox fan since first playing Halo a week after Halo CE released. But I'm over Microsoft at this point. They release very few games and now we know they're attempting to make them worse.

I'll still play a few exclusives here and there on PC, I'm excited for Hellblade 2 and Stalker, but I'm trading in my XSX and saving the credit for a PS5 pro where at least they have Japanese games.

I’m with you.

Similarly, I have been an owner of Xbox consoles from the beginning and it has been difficult to witness the obvious decline. Even with a few games on the horizon that interest me, there just isn’t a good enough reason to hang around. As a result of the recent flops I’ve simply lost confidence in the ability of Xbox to produce a compelling product. Combine that with this strong DEI shift, it is perhaps time to part ways. With Xbox now bringing first party titles to PlayStation, what reason is there in owning an Xbox console any longer?

Now, PlayStation isn’t any better. The heavy DEI focus in almost all their first party games has been incredibly disappointing to me. With that being said, at least there is still the odd exclusive title that I find appealing. Hopefully, the success of games such as Stellar Blade will be a wake up call the industry needs.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yes, very good. We should also do rounds in the offices to look for women with “exaggerated body proportions” so that we can fix them and also make sure they are dressed with clothes that fit their tasks.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Seems hella clickbaity. Not gonna lie. But with people blowing a gasket over that Sweet Baby thing, it's easy to see why people would glom on to something like this though.

"Do they have exaggerated body proportions?"
'Microsoft against curvy women'

Is funny, since I've noticed that a lot of dude's idea of 'curvy' is just a chick with huge tits, and not actual curvaceous women. Hell, you very rarely see curvaceous women in videogames in general.

You either have small pixie/Asian chicks, chicks with huge breasts, fat/chubby chicks, long thin model types, chicks that desperately need a burger, chicks whose intestines have been removed to be better bottle shaped, chicks who hit the gym hard.

The last couple thick women I saw was that Great Fairy from the recent Zelda games, that cyborg/android chick in that puzzle indie game, Gwyneyvere from DS looked like she was packing heat, that Amazon from Dragon's Crown, Raijin from Muramasa is probably in the 'hits gym hard' category, but yeah, I think it's mostly just the Japanese delivering thick/curvy women. Western devs usually stick to what I wrote before, even before all the Sweet Baby stuff.

These days I guess we just aren't gonna get stuff like Elexis Sinclaire and Red Lotus, or the like the older designs of the female MK characters. I was never the biggest fan of those designs, but the fully clothed women with seemingly the same personality types seem to be a worse tradeoff.

sony is woke just like MS actually. the last of us 2, god of war, horizon, spiderman 2, etc. They arent innocent at all.
No.

Sony's US studios are woke, just like the rest of the western gaming industry.

Sony as a publisher is not. Hence, Stellar Blade, Death Stranding, Nier Automata and other such games celebrating the sexy female form.

Sony isn't making any blanket rule that games published by them shouldn't include sexy female characters. That's the difference here.

Seems hella clickbaity. Not gonna lie. But with people blowing a gasket over that Sweet Baby thing, it's easy to see why people would glom on to something like this though.

"Do they have exaggerated body proportions?"
'Microsoft against curvy women'

Exaggerated body proportions = sexy, in whatever form, skinny or curvy.

Western female characters are asexual freaks. Very little is said about their personalities, though. The "strong female character" is a pathetic parody of the macho-type characters from the 80s (most were parodies but these morons didn't get the memo).

So, their idea of a woman is a physically trans person with extreme macho traits. Disgusting.

SaintALia

Exaggerated body proportions = sexy, in whatever form, skinny or curvy.

Western female characters are asexual freaks. Very little is said about their personalities, though. The "strong female character" is a pathetic parody of the macho-type characters from the 80s (most were parodies but these morons didn't get the memo).

So, their idea of a woman is a physically trans person with extreme macho traits. Disgusting.
Heavy disagreement in the bold. I've seen some ridiculous plastic surgery in real life that just look gross and exaggerating body proportions don't always pay off in art imo.

Can't agree to the second part about asexuality. They are sexual, but in a nun-ish sort of way, the overcorrection is almost at the point of wearing hijabs and burqas I feel, well, maybe that's an exaggeration tbf..

I remember the 80's, grew up in them...most weren't parodies. The women aren't parodies of them either, except they just come off as ridiculous, because those 80's action heroes were super ripped and game devs want their cake and eat it too, so they have these skinny sexy waifs, but don't want to bulk them up to the point where them being kickasss becomes believable(a bigger problem for movies, tho it is funny seeing someone like Zoe Saldana taking down multiple men that triple her weight). Although a few of them are nowadays I guess.

I don't mind 'extreme macho traits' as personality types, or women being physically fit or muscalar, people come in all flavours after all, the problem I have is that one personality type seems to be copy pasted to a bunch of these women that they all start to blend into each other to seem the same-'strong willed female, that can do the same as men, confident in her abilities and looks' and game devs just seem to be running with that boilerplate template that the female character just kinda comes off stiff and uninteresting to me.

Top Bottom