• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft against curvy women

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love how there's a vocal mob of idiots who act like females in games are dressed in a sexualized manner or exaggerated.

In what world does that make any sense, considering that it's common practice for females walk around in skin tight leggings and crop tops. Botox injections, etc. Western culture embraces the F out of it but a make believe videogame is somehow a bridge too far. Mind you, these game characters are based on scans of real people, lol.

It's all propaganda driven by DEI-centric lunatics (woke people). Stop supporting developers that push this crap. There's more games that you could ever hope to play, stop falling into the AAA trap.

PSFan

How ironic is it that in the Neptunia games, Vert is the character representing XBox.
1458141.png

Reaseru

The western video game industry doesn't like very much the concept of curvy women because they doesn't represent women in general, but yet who did they invite to host the GDC?

This girl:

Alanah%20Pearce%2001.jpg

By the way MS...the next gears or halo will you introduce some fat dudes as protagonists, or will insist on bulk ass dudes?

Last edited:

PnCIa

The western video game industry doesn't like very much the concept of curvy women because they doesn't represent women in general, but yet who did they invite to host the GDC?

This girl:

Alanah%20Pearce%2001.jpg

By the way MS...the next gears or halo will you introduce some fat dudes as protagonists, or will insist on bulk ass dudes?
Modern "leftists" are actually highly conservative in a classical sense and therefore have to continuously reject what they actually desire to have (or to be) while simultaneously trying to invite it into their lives in an underhand way. They are unable to bridge the gap between their actual desires and the cultural norms they have build, which are largely a result of their aforementioned rejection of their desire in the first place. One hell of a vicious circle.

You sir, are very blessed.
They also published TLOU2 and Horizon so its really not a fail.
And?

Every western dev has been infiltrated by the purple-haired loon activist mob.

That doesn't mean Sony as a publisher is prohibiting the appearance of sexualized female characters. If they were, Stellar Blade wouldn't be published by them and neither would any Kojima game.

I mean based on some threads we've seen, GAF doesn't like curvy women either.... if they work for video game companies, rather than be in the video games themselves.

Shubh_C63

I had no problems with Aloy, TloU-Abby, CONTROL protagonist or many others people feel are ugly.
but daaamn the Fable one takes the cake.

I mean based on some threads we've seen, GAF doesn't like curvy women either.... if they work for video game companies, rather than be in the video games themselves.
No idea why people dislike her. She seems genuine. and she looks good. edit-Allanah pearce

Last edited:
I can understand welcome other body types (refusing to use the word diverse), but excluding curvy isn't very inclusive(hate that word too) in itself. I honestly think this mind set is so dudes that think they are women don't feel inadequate. If they'll go as far as to put tampons in men's restrooms, they'll get rid of hips and boobs for them too.

Just say "variety". In these days of modern extreme politics taking over hobbies, "diverse" has become such a negatively loaded term (unfortunately) that I try avoid using it in places that have nothing to do with this culture war stuff but still wanting to describe a good mix of offering.

So "variety" it is.

Another example of that is Lara Croft. She was much more of a character in her earlier portrayal, despite being also built to be sexy (as sexy as a model could be using 3 polygons and half a texture anyway). She had a very clear personality, qualities and flaws, it was all very well realized and recognizable. Not to mention an iconic visual design.

Now cut to reboot Lara: a very sanitized character, with absolutely no recognizable traits to her personality or even visual design. Even her model could be replaced with a "Generic White Female #3" asset from the Unreal Store and not much would be lost in the process.

Man... Most developers need to start going back to the drawing board and learn how to do memorable character design again.

Classic Laura actually gave me slight Italian, Spanish or Greek vibes to me due to her tan, and it wasn't until a bit later I found out her original name was Laura Cruz. I think that's all rather interesting because it gave her classic design some exotic flair fitting her adventurous nature travelling around the world to find lost treasures and whatnot.

Also a bit interesting to me because in this modern age where radical far-left idpol ideas basically want to generalize white character designs to be the same one thing, Laura's design was unique and also showed that yes, you can have shades and tans among white people, too (this of course makes the whole "POC" stuff funny because IMO unless you're an Albino, everyone's a person of color technically speaking).

Anyway, 100% right about how diluted they made Laura's personality in the new ones. She was strong and fearless in the Core games, actually independent, smart & cunny, witty sense of humor and sexy on top of that. In the reboot and sequels to that she's like a meek little girl almost scared of her own shadow, has daddy issues, and was basically a victim the whole time. If you think about it the new games were completely regressive to her as a woman and character rather than empowering like they thought they were being.

The new games played more into negative stereotypes about woman than the old games ever did, and the old games also did a great job in making her badass without belittling men just to do so, or excusing any faults of female characters down to the "male gaze" and patriarchy nonsense. They also understood that you can have a sexy female who's still appreciated for things aside from just being sexy. The modern TR games didn't really nail that.

Thankfully it seems like they're going back to the classic design for the new one and hopefully her characterization matches the Core games as well.

Last edited:

Hestar69

This shit needs to stop where we have to cater to trans ppl with mental illness and make every female character look like they have a dick with huge chins.

A.Romero

So an artist could create a character that looks exactly like Christina Hendricks but Microsoft wouldn't allow it?

61OFFmyj67L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
I don't think they said they are not allowed, I guess just not recommended.

WTF with those guidelines, though... Hopefully Stellar Blade breaks records and makes publishers more open to fanservice.

LordCBH

Yeah, it seems people forgot the last Senran Kagura game was cancelled due to Sony's censorship policies. Also, the PS4 version of Burst Re:Newal had some content removed (you can play the uncensored version on Steam).

I’m still fucking salty. If the game gets an ESRB rating that Sony allows on the platform, then they really shouldn’t get to tell third parties what content they can and can’t make.

This girl:

Alanah%20Pearce%2001.jpg

That’s because MS are bloody hypocrites. They want to appease the loonies who screech at attractive women in games while they have her hosting the GDC. Just look at the manly female character in Fable. That’s who they want to have seen in their games because it’s more appropriate to them. Sad times at Xbox because of the weirdos running it.

Humdinger

I was looking forward to the next Fable game, until I realized this was the main character. It's not just that she is unattractive, it's what she "represents," to use their word. She should have a t-shirt that reads, "Brought to you by identity politics and insecure women."

And it's not just the main character herself, but what she signifies, what she tells you about what the rest of game will be like -- the other characters, the dialog, the story.

Too bad. I would've happily bought the game, but now I've lost interest.

Last edited:

laynelane

Yep and that's my issue. Double standards.

Straight women and gay men can have their eye candy, but straight men and lesbians can't?

These folks also don't understand that a character being sexy doesn't mean they're being sexualized. Devs aren't telling players how to view the character, nor can they.

Also, thinking a character is sexy doesn't mean that's the only thing you appreciate about them. Chun-Li is very sexy IMO but I also like her character because of morals & values, intellect, personality, and strength. Plus their cool moves. You can respect more than one part of a character and that doesn't mean you have to ignore the fact they're hot, or that them being sexy in design is inherently a problem.

But these puritans only impose their hateful shaming on female characters. Rather sexist discrimination on their part.

The fact that we can now easily recognize a character that has gone through the DEI ringer is what gets me. And even more so, that this seems to primarily apply to female characters. There's a generic sameness that has nothing to do with authentic representation of women in games. At this point, though, I've given up on any realistic portrayals of women from most western developers. As well, stripping women of feminine characteristics in many cases (not just physical ones either) is not good writing or inclusive whatsoever.

laynelane

I work in the games industry and most of the women I’ve worked with are hugely supportive of attractive female characters. Most of the other women I know in real life have no issue with it either. Mandates like this aren’t actually “for” women. They’re for a very small subset of Bay Area progressives — both men and women — with a very niche political lens who think they speak for all women.

Thank you for stating this. I've seen a lot of blaming of the wrong people for this particular issue. In particular, the misunderstanding that women in general support this demeaning bs.

Microsoft wake up! There are ton of sexy curvy ladies outside and sex sells, regardless of what some people make you want to think.

Look at just the music industry, how many of the huge stars doesn’t look very good and the few who don’t have the looks make up for it to be exceptional singers.
For me even a Taylor Swift is good, but nothing really special. I am sure if she would look average she would be not very successful…

Not sure, but dead or alive is his favourite game

dc54eccdf1c904f370e3e3801be7581466e39dd1.jpeg
I bet he isn’t proud of this picture anymore since he now has his pronouns in his company bio. Being PC and falling in line with certain groups who would call him out for this old pic of him holding that game and smiling. The Phil of today would never do that same pic i’m pretty sure. How times have changed indeed.

Fredrik

Microsoft just can’t stop losing, if they ever start doing good they just find new ways to lose, they don’t know their audience or the gaming community at large, I don’t understand their decisions lately, they must have so much data on us all but they still have no clue who buys their games and products, it’s fascinating tbh.

Majormaxxx

This is a bad headline.

Curve in woke language refers to fat.

This is not about fat, but about sexy.

The article actually urges idiot devs not to make overly female body proportions - example c/d cup breasts or wide hips/tiny waists.

This is so trans feel included. At the expense of everyone else.

Yuck

So if a model was based on Sydney Sweeney, they would nerf her breasts,

Or if it were based on JLo, they would shrink her butt.

It's vile..

Top Bottom