• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announcement?

soul

h3ro said:

success.jpg

stotch

Banned
RBH said:
Interesting.

He probably just misspoke and meant only the DLC is exclusive, but having the multiplayer be 360-exclusive as well would be huge and give more justification to that $50 million figure.

Take Two was having financial problems. Sony got a yet-to-be announced exclusive game out of Rockstar, and Microsoft gave them a 50 mil loan for the dlc. Loan as in Rockstar keeps any revenue over 50mil, but has to make up the difference if the dlc revenue doesn't reach 50 million. Unless the dlc is horse armor, Take Two probably got the worst of the dlc deal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lightning said:
360 fan desperation. :lol

One could be forgiven that MGS4 was the greatest game of all time the way 360 fans refuse to let it go despite Konami being firm on the matter.

.. He was joking. You're dumb.

(And companies being "firm" on the matter is a non-factor. Are you new to the industry? Obviously this announcement isn't MGS4, but you're not very smart if you :lol :lol :lol at the idea of MGS4 coming to 360 in some form -- most likely a rerelease like Substance -- someday. MGS2 was on Xbox, remember?)

Wollan

If that's how the true deal is, it means that if the DLC costs $10 per episode (and there are two), they would have to sell 5 million downloads of both combined to be able to come even.
(Actually more to also pay for the development of the episodes)

Quazar

Wollan said:
If that's how the true deal is, it means that if the DLC costs $10 per episode (and there are two), they would have to sell 5 million downloads of both combined to be able to come even.
(Actually more to pay for the development of the episodes)

I thought the 50M was just a front and in return they get exclusive DLC+ % of sales?

omg rite said:

(And companies being "firm" on the matter is a non-factor. Are you new to the industry? Obviously this announcement isn't MGS4, but you're not very smart if you :lol :lol :lol at the idea of MGS4 coming to 360 in some form -- most likely a rerelease like Substance -- someday. MGS2 was on Xbox, remember?)
Well when asked if MGS4 would ever come to 360 by Gameinformer, Phil Harrison made it pretty clear that the title was permanently locked down.

Wollan

Quazar said:
I thought the 50M was just a front and in return they get exclusive DLC+ % of sales?
Like he described it, it sounded like the only win for TakeTwo in this was to loan those $50m back when they were in worse shape (+ the potential to earn more when they cross the the 50m barrier which will start to earn them money again).

GhaleonEB

Wollan said:
(Actually more to also pay for the development of the episodes)
I don't think Microsoft thinks of it in such narrow terms. It's meant to drive sales of the game on their system, and in turn help move hardware.

clashfan

MS seems to really be trying for 3rd party exclusives. Don Mattrick said most upcoming announcements will come from 3rd parties.

Wollan

GhaleonEB said:
I don't think Microsoft thinks of it in such narrow terms. It's meant to drive sales of the game on their system, and in turn help move hardware.
Oh I agree, it's really benefitial for MS no matter how this goes.
Even if TakeTwo only sells dlc for $20m, they still have to pay up MS the complete $50m.

Basically MS helped TakeTwo in tough times and in return they get exclusive GTA4 content they will end up having paid 0cents for.

Edit: Which sounds a bit too fantastical to be honest. MS must have bleed somewhere for this.

Quazar

Wollan said:
Oh I agree, it's really benefitial for MS no matter how this goes.
Even if TakeTwo only sells dlc for $20m, they still have to pay up MS the complete $50m.

Basically MS helped TakeTwo in tough times and in return they get exclusive GTA4 content they will end up having paid 0cents for.

Ok yea that makes sense.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
Well when asked if MGS4 would ever come to 360 by Gameinformer, Phil Harrison made it pretty clear that the title was permanently locked down.

Well then, Phil Harrison said it. Must be true.

camineet

Banned
I wish Microsoft would announce that it's going to license Xbox 360 hardware to 3rd party consumer electronics manufactures in Japan like NEC, Hitachi, Matsushita/Panasonic, and even Toshiba (co-designers of the CELL in rival PS3). They've got nothing more to lose, and a little bit to gain in Japan.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wollan said:
If you're expecting that game anytime soon on the X360 you're waisting your time.

Well, I wouldn't want to do that. Sounds painful.

Won't even bother reading the rest, because I blatantly stated I don't expect it on the 360 anytime soon.

C4Lukins

icecream said:
*Looks at PS3 sales compared to 360

Definitely not a good move to go exclusive 360.

They could go the RE4 route which actually seemed to work out pretty well for them in the long run.

Yoboman said:
Wait. Why would RE5 go to 360 exclusive?:( That would be horrible
It depends on how much MS would be willing to offer.
But as a PS3 only owner I would cry bitter tears if it ever did happen.

BTW I am liking your new avatar Yoboman.

Cave announces their support of the 360 and they're starting by re-releasing their entire library in HD. How? Microsoft is footing the bill for it all.

I can dream. =(

mellowbob

Microsoft needs some good news :(

Everything is just about how its going to loose 2008 in sales age, has no good exclusives for this year, it breaks, all of its games go to the pc, its graphics can no longer compare to the ps3 and so forth. As a 360 owner, I need some good news for the system.

Shamrock

Banned
Some should update the thread or change the title. There wasn't a announcement. It was just a mid week show with Don Mattrick probably because he hasn't done shit publicly for 6 months since he was hired and the gaming press has been asking where the fuck this guy is.

I know wired interviewed Shane Kim at Dice and asked him "um, where is Don Mattrick".

stotch

Banned
mellowbob said:

Everything is just about how its going to loose 2008 in sales age, has no good exclusives for this year, it breaks, all of its games go to the pc, its graphics can no longer compare to the ps3 and so forth. As a 360 owner, I need some good news for the system.

GDC? If there's going to be anything big for 08 it'll be there.

Lightning

Banned
omg rite said:

No, I'm not dumb, you are, as that joke as worn so thin. People need to move on from 'that' joke.

And we'll see regarding MGS4 on the 360 I don't really care. I just hate the speculation with no evidence to back it up. It was only 1 month ago at CES that Sony and a Konami marketing rep were touting MGS4 exclusive and showed a playable demo, later this month they are announcing a release date... it says to me for the immediate future their minds are made up. Whatever happens happens but we just shut up, drop the rumors, and see what happens.

Konami do not do business like Capcom.... people need to realize that.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
mellowbob said:

Kill yourself and end all the horrible suffering?

I only have one request for Microsoft.

Somehow, get a new version of SHOGO as a 360 exclusive.
51N90K1RJNL._AA240_.jpg

Shamrock

Banned
mellowbob said:

Wow I suppose you threw stealth right out the window and just went with full blow troll.:lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lightning said:
No, I'm not dumb, you are, as that joke as worn so thin. People need to move on from 'that' joke.

I like how I'm dumb.. because you didn't realize it was a joke and replied to it as such.. and I pointed it out. That makes me the dumb one.. even though I didn't make the joke. King of logic is you. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
mellowbob said:

... Uh, right.

Microsoft's shane kim will be announcing the future multi-platform release, RE5, but this time for the PS3. When he learns the game was announced on both platforms nearly 2 years ago, he will cry bitter tears.

Rhindle

So let me see if I'm able to follow this thread:

1. Kotaku hears some rumor from some unnamed source about a Microsoft Japan announcement.
2. They then hear something about a Major Nelson special, conclude that it relates to the Japan announcement rumor, and that said Japan announcement rumor must therefore be true.
3. It turns out the Major Nelson special has nothing to do with a Japan announcement.
4. We now proceed to make a 15-page thread about a Japan announcement.

tanod

when is my burrito
RBH said:
Interesting.

He probably just misspoke and meant only the DLC is exclusive, but having the multiplayer be 360-exclusive as well would be huge and give more justification to that $50 million figure.

Yes, misspoke. uhuh

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Rhindle said:
So let me see if I'm able to follow this thread:

1. Kotaku hears some rumor from some unnamed source about a Microsoft Japan announcement.
2. They then hear something about a Major Nelson special, conclude that it relates to the Japan announcement rumor, and that said Japan announcement rumor must therefore be true.
3. It turns out the Major Nelson special has nothing to do with a Japan announcement.
4. We now proceed to make a 15-page thread about a Japan announcement.

Uh, the MS Japan announcement was put up on Inside Xbox Japan (correct me quickly if I'm wrong).

tanod

when is my burrito
mellowbob said:

The only thing they can do is announce a new feature or game. Other than showing some exclusives, everything on your list is still gonna be true even if they do announce something.

Stinkles said:
Wait, what?
Sarcasm. Mis-spoke my ass

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
tanod said:
The only thing they can do is announce a new feature or game. Other than showing some exclusives, everything on your list is still gonna be true even if they do announce something.

That's the thing. We need to hear about those damn "games" or "features". It's getting to the point where all us 360 owners have to hype up/look forward to are dashboard updates. And that's not a good thing.

I realize GDC is next week, but honestly, it's not a trade show or some PR camp for the press so I'm starting to worry about not hearing about anything from Microsoft. I really don't want to start hyping up another Spring update, then have to wait for E3' 08.

Top Bottom