• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announcement?

Wollan

So did Don actually say he had a three year plan for the X360?
I'm guessing Bungie will release their next project (disregarding Weta stuff) in fall 2010 then. 2011 for X1080?

stotch

Banned
Domino Theory said:
That's the thing. We need to hear about those damn "games" or "features". It's getting to the point where all us 360 owners have to hype up/look forward to are dashboard updates. And that's not a good thing.

I realize GDC is next week, but honestly, it's not a trade show or some PR camp for the press so I'm starting to worry about not hearing about anything from Microsoft. I really don't want to start hyping up another Spring update, then have to wait for E3' 08.

Announcing a major 08 game at E3, and only giving it a 4 month hype cycle, would be as unheard of as...blacking out 08 announcments from E3 07.

edit: would be as RARE as...huh? uhuh?

edit again: I'm totally wrong. Diddy Kong Racing and Call of Duty 4 with 4 months from announce to release.

Quazar

Wollan said:
I'm guessing Bungie will release their next project (disregarding Weta stuff) in fall 2010 then. 2011 for X1080?

Yes he said 3 year plan. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

tanod

when is my burrito
RBH said:
Err, I'm not following.

He didn't make a mistake when he said that. PR's job is to lay out carefully constructed sentences to bring the reader or listener to a (some times) false conclusion from a technically factual statement. In other words, intentionally mis-lead.

It's like when they announced GTA4 at E3 2006. They made it sound like the DLC AND the game was exclusive to the 360 and Rockstar emailed the press immediately afterwards saying that the game was coming to PS3 too.

Lightning

Banned
Wollan said:
Do you think it's possible that Sony could go through the next Xbox with the PS3 as well? Sony would be hard pressed to release another console in 2010 given the amount invested into the PS3. Sony will have to hang onto the PS3 longer than 3 years to get that money back and I'm sure they will.

Spike

Lightning said:
No, I'm not dumb, you are, as that joke as worn so thin. People need to move on from 'that' joke.

And we'll see regarding MGS4 on the 360 I don't really care. I just hate the speculation with no evidence to back it up. It was only 1 month ago at CES that Sony and a Konami marketing rep were touting MGS4 exclusive and showed a playable demo, later this month they are announcing a release date... it says to me for the immediate future their minds are made up. Whatever happens happens but we just shut up, drop the rumors, and see what happens.

Konami do not do business like Capcom.... people need to realize that.

Lighten up, mate! You're taking things too seriously.

Wollan

Lightning said:
Do you think it's possible that Sony could go through the next Xbox with the PS3 as well? Sony would be hard pressed to release another console in 2010 given the amount invested into the PS3. Sony will have to hang onto the PS3 longer than 3 years to get that money back and I'm sure they will.

PS3 is built to last like no console before it (it has all the new technologies, hdd standard, built to stand time/usage..etc). 2011 would actually be painful for them I believe, to cut the PS3 life that short. It would be very interesting if Sony broke the cyclic thing and just waited three or so years after the X1080s release before launching PS4 or whatever (that could also be a good time to enter for a even longer period probably with the whole 'diminishing returns' situation taking root).

RBH

tanod said:
My ass. It is speaking.

nm
tenaycornetteringcloseupn0.jpg

tanod said:
He didn't make a mistake when he said that. PR's job is to lay out carefully constructed sentences to bring the reader or listener to a (some times) false conclusion from a technically factual statement. In other words, intentionally mis-lead.

It's like when they announced GTA4 at E3 2006. They made it sound like the DLC AND the game was exclusive to the 360 and Rockstar emailed the press immediately afterwards saying that the game was coming to PS3 too.

Yeah, sounds like that's what happened in this case then.

stotch

Banned
Lightning said:

The PS2 isn't dead yet. The PS3 can still be profitable with the PS4 around as long as they don't "discontinue" it.

Sean

Banned
stotch said:
Announcing a major 08 game at E3, and only giving it a 4 month hype cycle, would be as unheard of as...blacking out 08 announcments from E3 07.

Diddy Kong Racing (N64)? Announced August 26, 1997 and released November 24. Was the fastest-selling video game at the time.

Call of Duty 4 was also announced just a few months before it released and that ended up being one of the biggest games last year.

Salazar

I'm feeling lucky.

"Yes, we are publishing Project Offset for PC and 360. Sorry about all the screwups - have a trailer to make up for it".

pswii60

Wollan said:

No, he was talking about the rolling 3-year plan for the division, which is normal in any business, doesn't mean anything regarding console life-cycles.

Also interesting that he said you can get GTA IV online multiplayer only on 360 (?), and that they have lots of announcements and news etc coming up this year.

Kafel

Banned
pswii60 said:
Also interesting that he said you can get GTA IV online multiplayer only on 360 (?), and that they have lots of announcements and news etc coming up this year.

What were his words exactly ?

cedric69

stotch said:
You can't buy features out of a competitors version of a game. It has to be something added on.
:lol What the heck are you talking about. In this world, today, you can buy people's lives with money and you state you can't buy features out of a competitor's game??? :lol

Not saying that they have multiplayer exclusive, I'd be surprised and angry if they did actually.

LCGeek

formerly sane
If rockstar puts online on 360 they will see a shit storm from not only the ps crowd but the pc side which has not had it officially since 2. Also I won't be buying this game again don't need it and I'm done supporting a company that does everything out of greed rather then just making a decent game since 3 they have become huge sellouts.

pswii60

Wollan said:
It was clearly a mistake how it was worded. Keep your pants on.

09:04 in the podcast, Don Mattrick says re GTA IV:

"I'm really excited with its downloadable content and online multiplayer support (slight pause) - again that's something that's unique to 360. We think consumers are going to love that, and it's going to create, what I would describe again as, the premium experience on our platform."

He seems confident in its wording, so who knows. I wasn't even aware that GTA IV had any multiplayer in the first place.

Also EuroGamer have picked up on it already: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92600

But could be another "only place to play Halo 3, Madden and GTA IV" type thing or something.

Z3F

Banned
Wollan said:
PS3 is built to last like no console before it (it has all the new technologies, hdd standard, built to stand time/usage..etc). 2011 would actually be painful for them I believe, to cut the PS3 life that short. It would be very interesting if Sony broke the cyclic thing and just waited three or so years after the X1080s release before launching PS4 or whatever (that could also be a good time to enter for a even longer period probably with the whole 'diminishing returns' situation taking root).

Please stop with the 10 yr plan nonsense. PS3 can't even run COD4 at 720p. All the best looking PS3 games, with the exception of Ratchet and Clank, run only at 30fps with significant tearing and slowdown. The PS3 is far from the technological powerhouse that you make it out to be.

Of course, 360 is in the same boat which is why I sincerely hope that both companies will have new consoles by 2011 at the lastest. I really don't want to continue playing 30fps/720p games on my 1080P TV for more than 2 years.

Hunter D

stotch said:
You can't buy features out of a competitors version of a game. It has to be something added on. Maybe an extra dlc-only multiplayer mode? Extra vehicle you can have in an online race mode or something. I wish MS would say somthing cos everything coming out of them on this game has been really cryptic.
You have a console industry rule book?

pswii60

Z3F said:
Please stop with the 10 yr plan nonsense. PS3 can't even run COD4 at 720p. All the best looking PS3 games, with the exception of Ratchet and Clank, run only at 30fps with significant tearing and slowdown. The PS3 is far from the technological powerhouse that you make it out to be.

Of course, 360 is in the same boat which is why I sincerely hope that both companies will have new consoles by 2011 at the lastest. I really don't want to continue playing 30fps/720p games on my 1080P TV for more than 2 years.

When Sony talk about a 10 year life cycle, they don't mean 10 years until the console's successor arrives. They have elaborated on this in the past, and they simply mean that just like PS2 is still very much alive now, 8 years on - even with the PS3 out over a year, they expect PS3 to still be very much alive too.

C4Lukins

Z3F said:

2011 sounds good to me for the XBOX, probably 2012 for the PS4. I see Sony's ten year plan as more of a 6 year plan and them hoping it sustains itself for a few years afterwards just like the PS2 is doing.

Z3F

Banned
I really wish there'll be a new Xbox by Fall 2010 and a new PS3 by Fall 2011. The GPUs and amount of ram in both systems are sorely lacking. Even a low end 8800 blows away the GPUs of both system. Both systems should have at least had a 8800 level GPU and 1gb of ram so that gamers don't have to be subjected to the low framerates/tearing that are so prevalent in this gen. It's pretty sad that 60fps w/nice visuals were so much more common in last gen. This gen seems to have taken a huge step back in terms of offering state of the arts visuals at 60fps.

FightyF

Banned
I don't know what this Major Nelson fellow went out to achieve here. I have a feeling that the announcement isn't going to be anything exciting. Even if it was a 3rd party game exclusivity aquisition...that's pretty blah news to me as a 360 gamer (nevermind multiconsole gamer). It was coming to the 360 anyways...so...I should be excited...why? The only people who care are Xbots and SonySluts (hey that rhymes).

How about, "We're working on a brand new title that's gonna be awesome". Or, "We're working on some Live features such as Clans.". Or how about, "We've worked with Logitec and the G25 will be 360 compatible."

Announce any of those things, and I'll go bonkers.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that I'm not going to be going bonkers after this announcement. I have a feeling that it's going to be something really mundane...like, "I bought a pair of socks yesterday...tube socks. Real comfortable. See you at GDC."

Z3F said:
I really wish there'll be a new Xbox by Fall 2010 and a new PS3 by Fall 2011. The GPUs and amount of ram in both systems are sorely lacking. Even a low end 8800 blows away the GPUs of both system. Both systems should have at least had a 8800 level GPU and 1gb of ram so that gamers don't have to be subjected to the low framerates/tearing that are so prevalent in this gen. It's pretty sad that 60fps w/nice visuals were so much more common in last gen. This gen seems to have taken a huge step back in terms of offering state of the arts visuals at 60fps.

Multicore development seems to have been a tough thing to overcome. I suppose you have legitimate hardware greviences, but also do consider that multicore development is another hurdle that hurt the jump in visuals.

pswii60

FightyF said:
I don't know what this Major Nelson fellow went out to achieve here. I have a feeling that the announcement isn't going to be anything exciting. Even if it was a 3rd party game exclusivity aquisition...that's pretty blah news to me as a 360 gamer (nevermind multiconsole gamer). It was coming to the 360 anyways...so...I should be excited...why? The only people who care are Xbots and SonySluts (hey that rhymes).

How about, "We're working on a brand new title that's gonna be awesome". Or, "We're working on some Live features such as Clans.". Or how about, "We've worked with Logitec and the G25 will be 360 compatible."

Announce any of those things, and I'll go bonkers.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that I'm not going to be going bonkers after this announcement. I have a feeling that it's going to be something really mundane...like, "I bought a pair of socks yesterday...tube socks. Real comfortable. See you at GDC."

Multicore development seems to have been a tough thing to overcome. I suppose you have legitimate hardware greviences, but also do consider that multicore development is another hurdle that hurt the jump in visuals.

Major never said there was going to be an announcement, all he did is say he was going to have a mid-week show, and he did and interviewed Don Mattrick about a bunch of stuff - and it was a good listen IMO.

As for this 'announcement' - that came from those bullshitters over at Kotaku and got escalated by GAF as per fucking usual. Thread title needs changing to 'Major Nelson interviews Don Mattrick'.

Tailzo

Ash Sparrow said:
Shenmue 3 and 4 Exclusive
Wow, that would make the 360 my most beloved console this generation. Sadly this is something I could only dream of. I want my Shenmue sequel!

le.phat

Z3F said:

give it time. COD4, ratchet and clank, GT5,all games running at 60 fps with incredible graphics. Once more developers start to learn to program on ps3 instead of learn how to port pc/360 code to ps3 more and more games will properly utilize the hardware and will offer state of the art graphics at HD resolutions and 60 FPS.

FightyF

Banned
pswii60 said:
Major never said there was going to be an announcement, all he did is say he was going to have a mid-week show, and he did and interviewed Don Mattrick about a bunch of stuff - and it was a good listen IMO.

As for this 'announcement' - that came from those bullshitters over at Kotaku and got escalated by GAF as per fucking usual. Thread title needs changing to 'Major Nelson interviews Don Mattrick'.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. I suppose that's why Ko Ta Ku got banned in the first place.

Z3F said:

Are you out of your fucking mind?

dancmc

pswii60 said:
09:04 in the podcast, Don Mattrick says re GTA IV:

"I'm really excited with its downloadable content and online multiplayer support (slight pause) - again that's something that's unique to 360. We think consumers are going to love that, and it's going to create, what I would describe again as, the premium experience on our platform."

He seems confident in its wording, so who knows. I wasn't even aware that GTA IV had any multiplayer in the first place.

Also EuroGamer have picked up on it already: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92600

But could be another "only place to play Halo 3, Madden and GTA IV" type thing or something.

Well the good thing is we will likely have some more info shortly. With GAF and other sites starting to pick up on this, if this is untrue, I would expect a quick response from Rock* stating exactly that. The interesting thing will be if they fail to comment.

Multiplayer exclusive to 360 would be a massive move by MS, not only would it cement the 360 version as the definitive version to get but it would also go along way to getting casuals on Xbox live. The new live subscriptions would virtually pay for any amounts they had to pay Rock*.

Personally I cant see it though but Don Mattrick certainly seems to be hinting it.

FFChris

dancmc said:
Well the good thing is we will likely have some more info shortly. With GAF and other sites starting to pick up on this, if this is untrue, I would expect a quick response from Rock* stating exactly that. The interesting thing will be if they fail to comment.

I think it's just worded strangely, I don't see how they would cut the whole MP portion out of the PS3 version.

pswii60

Could be that the game won't ship with any multiplayer, and then there'll be some 360-exclusive DLC for some multiplayer modes later on. But, let's be honest, April 29th isn't too far away, we'll know everything fo' sho' very soon.

deepbrown

Z3F said:

COD4 600p is said to be to do with the 360's EDRAM. Plus the PS2 is going strong, I expect the PS3 to continue in a similar fashion. The PS4 will come out in 2014.

You do know the PS3 wasn't meant to come out until 2007/8 don't you? But Microsoft pushed them to release early. They wanted Blu-ray to be cheaper...so the console would've been cheaper, and the PS2 would've died a quicker death.

pswii60

Black_Ice said:
Didn't read thread, only OP. Is this a GTAIV announcement or still a Microsoft announcement?

You really should read the thread.

THERE WASN'T AND IS NO ANNOUNCEMENT

Just Kotaku speculative bullshit.

deepbrown said:
You do know the PS3 wasn't meant to come out until 2007/8 don't you?

The PS3 didn't come out until 2007 here in Europe. And I don't believe that anyway - Final PS3 dev kits were in developers hands much further ahead of launch that 360 dev kits were before 360 launch. Also, PS3 was originally coming out in "Spring 2006", remember. Short memories.

Wollan

Z3F said:
Please stop with the 10 yr plan nonsense. PS3 can't even run COD4 at 720p.
I would hardly use COD4 as a benchmark for the PS3..

But if there's one thing that this gen has shown us so far it's that graphics means fuck all.

I was hoping to wake up this morning and be treated to some megaton-esque news, instead it was just a reminder that Mattrick DOES exist.

He's no Peter Moore, he is an executive through and through, every one of his answers sounded thoroughly rehearsed whereas Moore always sounded a lot more.... natural with his answers. Still, I reckon Jeff Bell has undergone 'spontaneity training' to take over Moore's role as Wacky Executive Guy. It won't be long before "The Weekly Adventures of Bell" begins on YouTube.

sinnergy

Wollan said:
I would hardly use COD4 as a benchmark for the PS3..

But if there's one thing that this gen has shown us so far it's that graphics means fuck all.

No it means fuck all the technical mumbojumbo and just give us a good result on screen. Who gives a shit if it's 640p upscalled to 720p when it still looks awesome..

You guys and your numbers fetish.

pswii60

sinnergy said:
No it means fuck all the technical mumbojumbo and just give us a good result on screen. Who gives a shit if it's 640p upscalled to 720p when it still looks awesome..

You guys and your numbers fetish.

GAF poster in common sense shocker

Black_Ice said:
Oh.

Ok. Thanks.

No probs, I wasn't shouting directly at you ;)

Top Bottom