• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayu26

The Xbone "nickname" seems deliberately offensive. Would people be up in arms if others were calling the PS3 or PS4 a derogatory name?

I for one love it. It's like T-bone. I wish I was nicknamed T-bone.
t-bone-george-costanza-shirt-t-shirt-80stees.gif

If you are offended by what name people choose to call a console, derogatory or otherwise, then I think you need to check yourself, as you're probably far too emotionally invested in either said inanimate product or its parent company than is healthy.

Because it's utterly meaningless. Every other closed hardware platform ever has had a so called "mono" driver. It's exactly the same as how the 360 used a stripped down DirectX driver specific to that system's hardware.
It's not utterly meaningless when you look back at the xbone info that said the api and drivers for the console had a similar overhead than that of PC, and that also wouldn't expose all the niceties the hardware have that DX would have.

It's not utterly meaningless because with Ms strategy, having only such a driver could make sense, if their goal was even easier cross platform development and ensuring that future consoles would be al backwards compatible, which were two very reasonable assumptions to make given what we knew of Ms strategy.

And it's also not utterly meaningless when we factor that Forza 5 and Ryse were already doing wonders visually on a driver that was closer to the DX base, with allegedly a much higher api overhead.

you ignore the 1 because they are both the same which is your standard, so 1 = 100% and find the percentage from 2 to 8.
which is %20.

difference : 8 - 2 = 6;
average: ( 8 + 2) / 2 = 5;

percentage : 5 to 6 = %20
What the.... Maybe a math test should be part of GAF membership requirements.

Vashetti

Banned
Also not sure why this proves the yield rumor false. One thing to remember is microsoft delayed asia launch by a full year. Japan isnt getting the xbox one at launch either.

These policies could be a direct result of yield issues

lol, no

It's because Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about that market

And Asia/Japan doesn't give two shits about Microsoft/Xbox

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
lol, no

It's because Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about that market

And Asia/Japan doesn't give two shits about Microsoft/Xbox

Japan, no, but it remains to be seen if they will try anything with China. Remember that their console sale ban was lifted. And China, in terms of size, is hugely more important than Japan. Console games are becoming even more online-oriented; stuff like Destiny, Titanfall, and The Division can have huge impacts in China. And X1 will have World of Tanks which is already big over there.

pixlexic

Banned
Admit it. You're so desperate for a tag, that you'll even take a negative one. After seeing Bish hand out that #deadwrong tag recently, you're trying to get one yourself.

nope you can not say I am wrong. It all depends on the standard you are measuring to.

like if we want the percentage difference and not say that 1 = %100.

difference = 1.8 - 1.2 = .6

average = (1.8 + 1.2) = 3/2 = 1.5

.6 / 1.5 = %40

EDIT: Just to be clear i am more interested in the math than the differences between to the 2 consoles.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God, please tell me we're not having the 50%/30% discussion again.

We really need a math test around here.

If you are offended by what name people choose to call a console, derogatory or otherwise, then I think you need to check yourself, as you're probably far too emotionally invested in either said inanimate product or its parent company than is healthy.

This. These are plastic boxes people. You can have a favorite one, but if people calling the XB1 the Xbone makes you mad you should take a step back.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is Xbone even particularly derogatory? I mean, I get that it was intended that way but it's such a naff effort it barely even registers.

So now someone is upset that others are calling it Xbone? That's a sign you probably need to step away from gaming for a few days. Wow this thread.....

Discusguy

Xbone name is pretty funny. It gets the fanboys xboned when it comes to pos or neg Xbox One news. I'm starting hear people refer to PS4 as PS4.5GB because of the ram issue and Sony has not been clear about it yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
you ignore the 1 because they are both the same which is your standard, so 1 = 100% and find the percentage from 2 to 8.
which is %20.

This is either one of the most brilliantly constructed troll posts in the history of the internet or one of the dumbest. I have no idea which.

Raist

Banned
which is %20.

Well I think we've found Major Nelson's GAF account. This is like his BW maths.

Sweep14

A 50mhz increase on PS4 gpu would make it close to 2TFLOPs, but everyone already assumes a PS4 upgrade(pre/post launch) is less likely due to heat issues cause of the smaller size. I disagree with the notion that something smaller is likely to make more noise and run hotter. One just has to compare PS3 fat with slim models. The PS4 will be fine and we will see similar upgrades.

I'm not sure of it but IIRC GDDR5 chips consume less power than DDR3, therefore less heat. Add to this that the die has no ESRAM heat to deal with and we could end with a PS4 being cooler or as cool as the X1.

Alebrije

I am pretty sure PS4 has plenty room for improvement but Sony will keep it for PS4 slim. PS4 noes not need GPU speed upgrade at this moment and its a possibility that this never happens.

Xbone "improvement" is good , they did it because it will help someway , what will be the reason to do it if there no was an impact in performance, no matter how small it is.

PG2G

A 50mhz increase on PS4 gpu would make it close to 2TFLOPs, but everyone already assumes a PS4 upgrade(pre/post launch) is less likely due to heat issues cause of the smaller size. I disagree with the notion that something smaller is likely to make more noise and run hotter. One just has to compare PS3 fat with slim models. The PS4 will be fine and we will see similar upgrades.

The PS4 will definitely be fine, but using the fat and slim PS3 as an example doesn't make any sense. The internals aren't the same

Blanquito

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this webpage says two things about Xbox One (not even going to get into this Xbone argument) -- (1) the Xbox button goes straight to the dashboard, and the very last line mentions that (2) Xbox One will be released in November.

The source is majornelson.com, and I tried to find the original information but Nelson's webpage is so horribly laid out that I gave up. Is this old news?

edit: forgot the webage: http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_drops_the_xbox_guide_2.html

nib95

Banned
The more people complain about the use of the abbreviation Xbone, the more I think people should actually just keep using it. Fact that so many warriors are getting their knickers in a twist over it is highly amusing.

PG2G

My ps3 phat was way way quieter than my ps3 slim. I think the casing argument is valid

He was saying he disagreed with smaller meaning hotter and louder.

Either way, with regards to an overclock... if you increase the clock rate you are going to increase the heat which you might have to compensate for with louder fans. The PS3 slim isn't a good example because the processors inside saw a die shrink which made them more efficienct... same performance but with less heat generated. This doesn't help an overclock because an overclock needs to work on every configuration of console out there... not just the ones to come out later in the generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom