• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I think xbone is fine. I find my self naturally typing it. I don't see a problem with it. Words are just words, its the context what makes them offensive ;)

ypo

Your toe bone connected to your xbone,
Your foot bone connected to your xbone,
Your ankle bone connected to your xbone,
Your leg bone connected to your xbone,
Your knee bone connected to your xbone,
Your thigh bone connected to your xbone,
Your hip bone connected to your xbone,
Your back bone connected to your xbone,
Your shoulder bone connected to xbone,
Your neck bone connected to your xbone,
I hear the word of the MS Lord!

Dem xbones, dem xbones gonna walk aroun'
Dem xbones, dem xbones, gonna walk aroun'

Disconnect dem xbones, dem dry xbones

Are people expected to cry over that?

This gen, my console of choice has been PS3 (particularly in the latter half of the gen). I don't care if you call it POS3, PlayStation Pee, or any other name. Even on my worst day, I'd just roll my eyes and get back to playing The Last of Us. Life goes on.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this webpage says two things about Xbox One (not even going to get into this Xbone argument) -- (1) the Xbox button goes straight to the dashboard, and the very last line mentions that (2) Xbox One will be released in November.

The source is majornelson.com, and I tried to find the original information but Nelson's webpage is so horribly laid out that I gave up. Is this old news?

edit: forgot the webage: http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_drops_the_xbox_guide_2.html

They announced November at E3.

The more people complain about the use of the abbreviation Xbone, the more I think people should actually just keep using it. Fact that so many warriors are getting their knickers in a twist over it is highly amusing.

Couldn't agree more.

This isn't a racial slur here people. It's a console's nickname. Unless you birthed it or plan to marry it, it's just not that big a deal.

ypo

you ignore the 1 because they are both the same which is your standard, so 1 = 100% and find the percentage from 2 to 8.
which is %20.

difference : 8 - 2 = 6;
average: ( 8 + 2) / 2 = 5;

percentage : 5 to 6 = %20

The Xbone is in good company.

Troll

Banned
Your toe bone connected to your xbone,
Your foot bone connected to your xbone,
Your ankle bone connected to your xbone,
Your leg bone connected to your xbone,
Your knee bone connected to your xbone,
Your thigh bone connected to your xbone,
Your hip bone connected to your xbone,
Your back bone connected to your xbone,
Your shoulder bone connected to xbone,
Your neck bone connected to your xbone,

Dem xbones, dem xbones gonna walk aroun'

What the actual fuck

oVerde

Banned
I love to use Xbone... I think it is cool and make the console strong.
image.php

yeah right..

Udham

No, it doesn't work like that. According to this and assuming the 5/3 split is valid, 5 and 3 GB are the respective memory allocations for the game VM and the application VM. And once it's settled, I don't expect this split to change. The further we will be in the next generation, the more memory we will probably need as we will run more applications simultaneously.

The VM approach makes it difficult to earn a lot through OS optimization as any ram optimization will only be made available in its own memory space. Freeing some megabytes in the Application space won't change anything in the game space if the line between both VMs doesn't move too. It would only be more memory made available to applications.
Thanks!

besada

Banned
The more people complain about the use of the abbreviation Xbone, the more I think people should actually just keep using it. Fact that so many warriors are getting their knickers in a twist over it is highly amusing.
The fact the so many warriors are using it to irritate other warriors is pretty amusing too. It's up there in sophistication with M$ and crApple.

It's all kids on a playground measuring their faux-dicks.

sangreal

So what was the point of this late Upclocking if the realize difference is almost meaningless ?

It might not matter when comparing to the ps4 but that doesn't make it meaningless. You might as well ask why clock it at 800 instead of 750

The answer is that this is what they could get within their yield and thermal parameters

SSM25

I like XBone, it's perfect and I will continue to use it till the end of days not caring about prople's feelings on the matter.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
how likely is it that clocks speeds of any type can be increase over the duration of the generation for either console? like firmware updates or something, or are these things usually fixed to a certain point?

watership

OMG a whole 53mhz. Just enough to make the news but not enough to scare people into worrying about rrod all over again.
I still dont get why if they claim the 40% or 50% more raw power the ps4 has is really not going to amount to much , then why strive to close the gap as little as 5% or whatever it is.

Also not sure why this proves the yield rumor false. One thing to remember is microsoft delayed asia launch by a full year. Japan isnt getting the xbox one at launch either.

These policies could be a direct result of yield issues

Could. Possible. Maybe. It's in the realm of possibility and doubt. Did they have Asia plans this year, and then cancel them? Maybe they had the long term plan to focus on territories in staged launches, like the PS3 did in Europe. There is a real hardcore desire to remember the rumours and previously plans of this new console, but the only thing that's' going to matter in the long run, is what it actually is when it comes out. Do people still dwell about how PS3 had two HDMI ports at one time? No one is going to care about the rumour of a clock speed bump or drop 2 weeks after launch.

gaming_noob

Not surprised this came from you.

MaulerX

Xbone name could go either way. Look at this 40 page thread. MS Xboned the fanboys with the upclock speed. Just saying.

I was thinking about that. One can easily flip the script and use it to irritate the competition instead. Obviously the one with the bone will be the one doing the boning. At least in America, I can already see the NPD headlines: "PS4 Xboned once again"

I think Xbone is the only right term to call it as a good reminder of how badly MS tried to rape consumers and then trying to look like gentleman with consumers interest in heart when they got caught with pants down.

jblank83

53% is a trivial, meaningless amount of overclocking. Anyone with anyone experience in CPU/GPU overclocking can tell you that.

This is just a PR move.

Truespeed

I think they missed a glorious marketing opportunity here. They could have said they increased the GPU speed by 53,000,000 Hertz.

I'm not sure how we got to discussing the nickname Xbone but I don't like it personally. Definitely not a console warrior, I've never owned a MS system and never will.

Just think it's a silly name, only bothered when some people try to force Xbone as what it must be called usually meaning for it to be derogatory. Xbox One is fine for me.

And the upclock is good news, not sure why some have to assert that it's not a big deal. Nobody said it was a big deal but it's unquestionably good news. For everybody.

And calling it marketing or PR confuses me, Fridays in PR are used for news you don't want to circulate all week. They upclocked it because they could and it's good that they could, the suggestion that it was purely done for the sake of having good news makes no sense to me.

farisr

I try to avoid it, but with my typing style (not traditional) xbone is just much easier to type out than xb1 or x1. When I write out the latter two, my typing basically slows down quite a bit and its annoying.

Yeah, there will always be immature people writing out xbone and calling it that to make fun of it. But I'm not. I do think MS should've picked a different name for it and hate that is called that since I (and nearly everyone else) been calling the Xbox, Xbox 1 for a while now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Xbone is an acronym, there aren't any letter substitutions or additions.

XBO or XO are acronyms, Xbone is like saying Usamerica. If people think it's funny and they like (and think) that it annoys people that's fine, though childish, but people pretending it's the correct abbreviation or somehow the easiest thing to type are being a bit disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom