• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Drops Blinx Trademark

I remember the first game somewhat fondly. I think it came with my Xbox actually.

Anyways, Sony or Nintendo should pick up the IP for giggles.

Celestia

I remember this game being hard as hell. Don't think I ever beat it. Ah well, not exactly on my list of OG Xbox games I'd like to see make a return.

You guys can't possibly be clamoring for Blinx... Those are some rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Pq56GUQ.jpg

You shut your face. Blinx was a damn fine game, simply too ahead of its time to be fully appreciated by the majority of the uncultured slags at the time.

W.S.

That's a shame since I like the character design and would have liked to have seen MS give it another shot even if in a 2 1/2D game.

Ah well there's still Banjo, Voodoo Vince, Conker, Splosion Man and a few others.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I remember playing it on my imported Xbox. Good times.

A HD remake would be nice. On my PS4 :)

That's a shame since I like the character design and would have liked to have seen MS give it another shot even if in a 2 1/2D game.

Ah well there's still Banjo, Voodoo Vince, Conker, Splosion Man and a few others.

I would love to play Voodoo Vince again. I held onto the original game disc forever hoping it would get backwards compatibility to the 360. Even after they annouced that they were done with the program.

shaowebb

Hand him over to Tim Schafer at Double Fine. I'm certain he could make the concept far better than it was.

Lijik

EDIT- Blinx is a totally solid enough game thats pretty fun and arcadey. It got hyped up as a Mario Killer at the time though and boy the game does not measure up to that at all.
Azurik: Dead since 2001.

Voodoo Vince: Abandoned since 2005.

Microsoft fuckin up

So... what exactly was Blinx? A platformer? An adventure game? I never really paid any attention to it as I always saw it as like a Ratchet & Clank rip-off.

W.S.

Azurik: Dead since 2001.

Voodoo Vince: Abandoned since 2005.
Well that sucks, was hoping for some Voodoo Vince revival from MS given Phil Spencer's fondness for the game.

I would love to play Voodoo Vince again. I held onto the original game disc forever hoping it would get backwards compatibility to the 360. Even after they annouced that they were done with the program.
Good decision, I never got around to buying a copy for myself unfortunately.

Jomjom

Banned
Shoulda dropped Conker and Banjo as well that way at least maybe Nintendo or Sony could have picked it up.

Lijik

So... what exactly was Blinx? A platformer? An adventure game? I never really paid any attention to it as I always saw it as like a Ratchet & Clank rip-off.

The first one is a platforming time attack game. You need to clear each stage of the listed enemies and get to the exit before time is up. The second one removes the timer and varies the objectives but adds in a lot of bogus stealth levels

Remark

Banned
I thought the first Blinx was fun as fuck. Would have loved a revival on Xbox One. Hopefully someone picks up the IP and does something with it :'(

Leflus

I hope they dropped Blinx because they've decided to focus on Banjo and Conker this gen. *crosses fingers*

Shoulda dropped Conker and Banjo as well that way at least maybe Nintendo or Sony could have picked it up.
The only way Nintendo or Sony can pick up Conker, Banjo or Blinx is if MS sells the IPs to them.

I looked up Yoshi's New Island's credits awhile back and indeed a lot of key Artoon folks are at Arzest; every founder formed Arzest, the art director of Blinx 1 and 2 was the art director of Yoshi's New Island, etc.

Have a look:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104307426&postcount=305

Most of the Blinx team on Yoshi was down to the creator(s)/director, art director, and a few game programmers, but let's face it, you can go miles with just the creator, director, and art director.

All the sound folks from Artoon were borrowed from Wave Master who of course is owned by Sega and is used in like every Sonic game by Sonic Team. Mariko Nanba is the most commonly used between the two. She also composed for Flingsmash which was Artoon's final game with their identity fully intact before being absorbed into AQ, but Artoon's true final game was The Last Story, which actually did have Arzest's folks involvement on just prior going by the credits, but that had to have been like mid-development as Arzest was formed in 2010 and the game was out in 2011.

DD

Cool, I can't wain the next super soldier generic looking game, or another boring racing game, or even the next you'll-have-to-pay-for-the-Xbox-Live-to-enjoy-this-game.

SURGEdude

News like this just reminds me how much I miss the OG Xbox. So many gamers missed out on that amazing experience. I wish MS would be more daring like they were back then. But I suppose the balance sheet prevents that sort of thing these days.

Microsoft is stupid. Every IP has value and Blinx had potential.

Just look at the history of the Spyro franchise.

MS still own the IP and could apply for the trademark if they wanted to, this doesn't mean any one can make a game featuring this character, it just allows a company to use the name.

Look at the Killer Instinct reboot for an example...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-denied-killer-instinct-trademark-renewal/1100-6401009/

EDIT - Ultra-Comboed by Leflus!

If Phil really does hate Blinx as much as people say, wouldn't be very realistic to think he'd much rather just sell it than ever chance funding another entry? Isn't dropping the trademark literally saying they don't want it?

Not the first time they've sold an IP either. Remember Amped and Top Spin? That was Microsoft's, then 2K bought those two (and one other?) as well as the dev IIRC.

Didn't MS also just recently sell Microsoft Flight Simulator... whatever it's called now?

I looked up Yoshi's New Island's credits awhile back and indeed a lot of key Artoon folks are at Arzest; every founder formed Arzest, the art director of Blinx 1 and 2 was the art director of Yoshi's New Island, etc.

Have a look:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104307426&postcount=305

Most of the Blinx team on Yoshi was down to the creator(s)/director, art director, and a few game programmers, but let's face it, you can go miles with just the creator, director, and art director.

All the sound folks from Artoon were borrowed from Wave Master who of course is owned by Sega and is used in like every Sonic game by Sonic Team. Mariko Nanba is the most commonly used between the two. She also composed for Flingsmash which was Artoon's final game with their identity fully intact before being absorbed into AQ, but Artoon's true final game was The Last Story, which actually did have Arzest's folks involvement on just prior going by the credits, but that had to have been like mid-development as Arzest was formed in 2010 and the game was out in 2011.

Man, what a way to go out. Such a fantastic and overlooked RPG.

Leflus

If Phil really does hate Blinx as much as people say, wouldn't be very realistic to think he'd much rather just sell it than ever chance funding another entry? Isn't dropping the trademark literally saying they don't want it?

Not the first time they've sold an IP either. Remember Amped and Top Spin? That was Microsoft's, then 2K bought those two (and one other?) as well as the dev IIRC.

Didn't MS also just recently sell Microsoft Flight Simulator... whatever it's called now?
Depends on how much someone are willing to pay for a forgotten IP. 3D platform/adventure games aren't exactly a hot commodity these days.

MS still owns Flight afaik. They've just licensed it out to Dovetail Games.

Edit: They sold Toy Soldiers to Signal Studios though.

Top Bottom