• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Drops Blinx Trademark

Man, what a way to go out. Such a fantastic and overlooked RPG.

I wonder what the remaining team at AQ/Marvelous has been up to since. Some of the old AQ group worked on Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Sochi Olympics (random) as well as Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz on Vita IIRC.

Arguably the main Artoon guy left over there seemingly, Takuya Matsumoto has more of less tied himself as a big Mistwalker collab (Lead Designer on TLS), as he was the one who oddly on behalf of Mistwalker, said they (MW) would love to make a Wii U RPG:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/16/mistwalker-would-like-to-develop-wii-u-action-rpgs/

But hasn't really done anything since seemingly. I can't think of any other Artoon person left.

Funny enough. Arzest helped out on Terra Battle, go figure. :p

Well that sucks, was hoping for some Voodoo Vince revival from MS given Phil Spencer's fondness for the game.

Good decision, I never got around to buying a copy for myself unfortunately.

If I stumble across an OG Xbox cheap at at a yard sale, I might pick one up to replay it.

MrBud360

Blinx1 was pretty good. Had some incredible Braid type puzzles. I really liked. Never played the second one. RIP Blinx :(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If Phil really does hate Blinx as much as people say, wouldn't be very realistic to think he'd much rather just sell it than ever chance funding another entry? Isn't dropping the trademark literally saying they don't want it?

Not the first time they've sold an IP either. Remember Amped and Top Spin? That was Microsoft's, then 2K bought those two (and one other?) as well as the dev IIRC.

Didn't MS also just recently sell Microsoft Flight Simulator... whatever it's called now?

Considering they also own all of Rare IPs among them Banjo and Conker, I wouldn't even know what they'd want to do with Blinx anyway, it has to be a way weaker IP in the same genre, which is a genre Microsoft does not work with all too much anyway, right? However, who would be willing to buy the franchise, even if it was for sale? Croc, Vexx, Ty and Crash Bandicoot, among aforementioned Rare franchises and Jak & Daxter have been dormant for years, Ubisoft has Rayman and Nintendo a whole lot of platforming franchises. With all these franchises probably well distributed among major publishers (hey, even Rockstar has one, Rocket: Robot on Wheels), basically the only company maybe interested I could think of is Arzest and they are probably happy about their arrangement with Nintendo.

VLiberty

Considering they also own all of Rare IPs among them Banjo and Conker, I wouldn't even know what they'd want to do with Blinx anyway, it has to be a way weaker IP in the same genre, which is a genre Microsoft does not work with all too much anyway, right? However, who would be willing to buy the franchise, even if it was for sale? Croc, Vexx, Ty and Crash Bandicoot, among aforementioned Rare franchises and Jak & Daxter have been dormant for years, Ubisoft has Rayman and Nintendo a whole lot of platforming franchises. With all these franchises probably well distributed among major publishers (hey, even Rockstar has one, Rocket: Robot on Wheels), basically the only company maybe interested I could think of is Arzest and they are probably happy about their arrangement with Nintendo.
I remember it was developed by Sucker Punch and published by Ubisoft, wasn't it? How's Rockstar related?

The-Rock-Clapping-Reaction-Gif.gif

Rockstar owns Rocket? o_O Source? I thought Sucker Punch still owned that?

Edit: Ah, you were mistaken.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Wait are people actually asking for an HD Blinx collection?

I would buy one. I'd also buy a new Croc, a new Crash Bandicoot or a new Jazz Jackrabbit. So many dormant franchises in that genre :(.

ITT, People who don't know the difference between trademark and intellectual property.

Microsoft still owns the IP,They just have no plans for new game, that's all. Plus, the game wasn't really that good.

That's too bad! Blinx was the first Xbox game I played/owned and younger me really loved it. Well, hopefully Voodoo Vince won't meet the same fate. ;)

VLiberty

But now we can get Knack X Blinx in the same game!!!

Then it wouldn't be true if that's the 4th dimension as you could do that in Sonic CD.

It's more like how you do the Clank puzzles in R&C ACIT, which is why I want to play those games.

Rockstar owns Rocket? o_O Source? I thought Sucker Punch still owned that?

Edit: Ah, you were mistaken.

Yet I don't think SP owns the franchise. I think that, similarly with Crash/Spyro, the IP rights belong to Ubisoft.

Peltz

I cannot tell you how ripped off I felt when I plunked down my $50 to watch a slow-ass character waddle through some extremely pedestrian level designs. This game had a very hyped E3 showing with some serious IGN coverage and then the actual game made a rather milquetoast impression on me.

To each their own I guess if you liked this game. Teenage-me felt pretty burned by it though.

sörine

Banned
This thread's making me wish Microsoft revived Xbox Originals for Xbox One (and maybe Windows PC). The system has a decent little back catalog that I bet some would be interested in exploring today.

Sydle

Blinx is one of three games I've returned in my 25 years of gaming. The other two being Azurik and some snowboarding game (something summit) also available at/near Xbox launch.

Some of the time puzzles were good, but the art was terrible and I remember being frustrated with the movement. I was surprised it got a sequel.

Sydle

phantom dust

Oh, I thought I missed a trademark renewal for Perfect Dark or something.

Spencer bringing Phantom Dust back doesn't surprise me now that Mattrick and his blockbuster franchise mentality is gone. It was a well designed game with a cult following that will probably build a great little online community.

cakely

Oh, Blinx. I distinctly remember reading a post on forum where Blinx was referred to as a "Mario killer".

Of course this was from the same forum where "Wreckless" was a GTA killer and "Brute Force" was "The next Halo".

Garraboa

sörine;146248703 said:
This thread's making me wish Microsoft revived Xbox Originals for Xbox One (and maybe Windows PC). The system has a decent little back catalog that I bet some would be interested in exploring today.

It's absolutely moronic they haven't tried to do so already. IMO, Xbox's catalog is still worth visiting after all these years. Nintendo and Sony are still pumping out games for their classic services. MS needs to try again since NVidia isn't an obstacle anymore.

It'd make my Bone purchase a lot more easier to make.

KingJ2002

Good riddance to the creepy looking cat. I hated everything about blinx.

I'm glad microsoft is moving past their "bad art" era.

Top Bottom