• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Trademark And Rumor Round-Up [Up8: Xbox Live Diamond, Kinect Disneyland]

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Wish they had more non-kinect stuff being rumored. :/

I hope at least some of these Kinect games are truly great new memorable experiences with some longevity, not just shallow ones for the occasional party.
Amir0x said:
Guess it's looking like time to sell that 360 after Gears 3. Had a good run.
Unless you need the cash, you should just put it in its box and keep it in storage, eventually something that excites you personally will come out and you'll be good to go without needing to get a new one.

FrankT

TheOddOne said:
After Gears 2 shipped there where some listings searching for a producer at Microsoft to work on the Gears and Shadow Complex franchises too.

Shadow Complex would be great. That and Alan Wake 2 and maybe one more new core game not Halo/Crackdown/Fable and I would be pleased.

That being said it's clear Kinect is going to be the focus here and while I don't care how many Kinect games they bring as I will pick up the best of the bunch..... for someone without a love for it then yes as far as core traditional IP to be shown it could be severely lacking.

Regardless in the division they are certainly selling more kit and making more profit than ever before, and I don't see them changing the formula up drastically before they enter the next gen. Two reasons they have had the best year ever, new HW and Kinect. I suspect we may see improvements in both this gen still, but the formula not changing all that much.

If you say Halo CE is a given then one could say they bring 3 core traditional titles and only 2 really new to the table this year and it takes 9 months just to the first. That is lacking any way you cut it, but obviously the direction they have taken they are thriving because they still pretty much have every big 3rd IP to fill the gaps.

Clearly a different direction then Sony is taking, but overall it is totally working out for the division at this point. I mean Sony has released what 4-6 retail first party games in the first half of the year alone and really not a huge difference between the two in sales while MS is clearly leading on the Kinect front and by far and away Live subs. How long is certainly a question, but I suppose we shall see if there is any real impact over time as many said Kinect would fall flat and MS would bail out after all the losses. Clearly not the case, but how long can they maintain said direction is a question. Should be fine until next gen starts I suppose, but who knows how next gen will start out for MS.

derFeef

About Kingdoms. I really doubt it is a Kinect only game. Interviews and schedule suggest it to be either hybrid, or tacked-on. I just looked at the concept art again and wow, I really hope they fleshed that out because that would be a world I could sink my teeth in.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Amir0x said:
Sorry, back in November my fiancee got me a Kinect for my birthday. Maybe you shouldn't, ya know, assume?

But yes, if you don't notice the lag you're blind. That's inarguable.

The lag is really bad in some games, not really noticeable in others. Tests show that the lag in Kinect sports is equivalent to some controller based games (ie Killzone 3) the difference being that people aren't used to taking into account the lag of their bodies. Thumbs move much faster than limbs. You just seem to be more sensitive to it, but that's no reason to say the technology is a piece of shit.

Some people see rainbows when watching DLP projectors. Should that technology be scrapped? Some people can't see 3D properly, yet I think 3D gaming is amazing.

Personally I think the PS3 controller is the worst controller in the history of gaming, I can't play for longer than an hour without getting bad cramps. Who would invent a controller that gives people cramps? Then again, maybe it's just me.

FrankT

derFeef said:
About Kingdoms. I really doubt it is a Kinect only game. Interviews and schedule suggest it to be either hybrid, or tacked-on. I just looked at the concept art again and wow, I really hope they fleshed that out because that would be a world I could sink my teeth in.

They turned into anything more than add on would be upsetting. Full on would be eh well wait I see I guess. I've said it would be like Forza, but who knows with that Gamasutra business.

Jtyettis said:
If you say Halo CE is a given then one could say they bring 3 core traditional titles

Count on it having some sort of Kinect support. What better way of convincing the core that they want Kinect than tying it to your biggest franchise?

Jtyettis said:
They turned into anything more than add on would be upsetting. Full on would be eh well wait I see I guess. I've said it would be like Forza, but who knows with that Gamasutra business.

It's a perfect match for combat, if executed properly. Zeno Clash would be another good match.

Alx

People should really stop over-dramatizing everything... your precious "hardcore" games won't go anywhere, especially shooters since they're by far the most selling games this generation.
If you don't like motion games, don't play motion games, but stop bothering those who do enjoy them.

I don't think there are rumors but I expect a new slimmer kinect camera to be announced.

I'm sure they could slim that thing down some.

Alx

funkystudent said:
I don't think there are rumors but I expect a new slimmer kinect camera to be announced.

It wouldn't be that easy to do... the device has to keep its width for the microphone and the depth measurement. And it's rather filled with electronics as is. Besides it is a bit too young for a redesign, and considering the age of the 360, I doubt we'll see a redesign of kinect before the 720.

funkystudent said:

LOL
it's too early a redesign 6 months later :)

maybe will be redesigned ( and enhanced ) for the next Xbox @E3 2012

Raide

Slamtastic said:
Lightning Bolt = Kinect Harry Potter equivalent of Sorcery for Move?

They already have that in the current 360 game.

Sounds more like it would be MGS:Rising...again.

Belfast

Letters said:
Wish they had more non-kinect stuff being rumored. :/

I hope at least some of these Kinect games are truly great new memorable experiences with some longevity, not just shallow ones for the occasional party.

Unless you need the cash, you should just put it in its box and keep it in storage, eventually something that excites you personally will come out and you'll be good to go without needing to get a new one.

I've been waiting.... three years? I can't even remember the last time I turned on my 360. Only thing stopping me from selling it is that it's a launch unit and probably not worth a whole lot these days.

derFeef

Belfast said:
I've been waiting.... three years? I can't even remember the last time I turned on my 360. Only thing stopping me from selling it is that it's a launch unit and probably not worth a whole lot these days.
Wah. There were some fantastic 360 exclusive the last 3 years.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Will fruit ninja include a katana sword? Or is kinect prohibited from using any peripheals

V_Ben

Banned
Ok... now I've convinced myself that the public debut for the new Tomb Raider will be at the MS press conference, with an exclusive DLC announcement. It seems so logical with GoL and Underworld's 360 exclusivity (both timed and otherwise.)

The Batman stuff is interesting. Arkham 1 was published by S-E, but Arkham 2 is a WB joint, so perhaps they've cut a deal with MS (or vice versa) for some exclusive missions? It would be interesting to see The Joker as a GFW/360 exclusive this time, if only for the reactions.

Edit: Sh*t, what if it's Gotham City Impostors? That'd be an interesting game to grab as a timed exclusive for XBLA... would make an interesting Summer of Arcade game.

The GlaDOS stuff is more interesting though... are we going to see some exclusive Portal 2 news? The DLC announcement happening at their press conference? GlaDOS being the main villain in Episode 3, which will have a public debut at the MS conference? That one's a little trickier to fathom out, unless MS just wants an evil computer person to be the voice of xbox. But then they already have Matrick. :p

The rest is pretty clear cut. Kingdoms, Star Wars, Gears and Halo. No rare logo though :(

Edit: That lightning bolt... it doesn't really scream MGS, but then what else could it be, unless MS has managed to grab the HP license away from EA... or DH2 just has Kinect functionality again.

Raide

Teetris said:
Will fruit ninja include a katana sword? Or is kinect prohibited from using any peripheals

If they announce a Kinect update that does the rumoured Object Tracking, then you could use your own. :p

Belfast

derFeef said:

But absolutely none I was interested in. Hell, I've been doing most of my gaming for the past year alone on the Master Race (fuck you, Steam!).

Edit: Also don't care about the Halos or the Gears. Alan Wake may have been mildly interesting.

statham

Belfast said:
But absolutely none I was interested in. Hell, I've been doing most of my gaming for the past year alone on the Master Race (fuck you, Steam!).
what games do you like on steam? newer games, I'm looking to jump on board.

TheOddOne said:
So this is what I get:

• Sword (maby Kingdoms)
  • Axe (maby Batman)
  • Lightsaber (Star Wars Kinect)
  • Car (Forza Motorsport/Forza World)
  • Jet Fighter (I'm blind I thought it was a gun before, my brother from another mother daFeef correct me).
  • Nunchucks?
  • A 360 Slim
  • Gears Weapon (Gears of War 3/Kinect?)
  • Guitar
  • Kinect
  • Xbox Live
  • Halo sword (Halo - 343/Saber?)
  • Lightning?

Do you not see the purple batmobile? lol

Arnie

Belfast said:
If you couldn't find anything to play on it in the last three years then it's your own fault, not Microsofts. Hell the best console first person shooter was released for it in Halo: Reach last fall, and Alan Wake was a brilliant third person adventure game.

Belfast said:

Edit: Also don't care about the Halos or the Gears. Alan Wake may have been mildly interesting.
So you don't like shooters? Then why do you own a 360?

derFeef said:

And even this year: aside from the obvious big games (Forza/Gears) and the plethora of kinect games both incoming and to be announced, there's a bunch of xbla exclusives that no gamer should miss: FEZ, Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes and such.

I really don't get the all "it has no games" paranoia. If you are a 360 only owner, you have plenty of games, and you should not care about exclusives.

If you are a multiplat gamer, then you have even more games.

batman's car = Project Gotham Racing. (Am I really the first to suggest this?)

I love you. And hate you at the same time.

[Nintex]

Arnie said:
The idea that the Xbox 360 is a shooter box is laughable at this point. I could do list wars but those are stupid but needless to say that up untill 2008/2009 or so Microsoft had plenty of titles that weren't FPS's but still core experiences.

Graphics Horse said:
Batman's car = Project Gotham Racing. (Am I really the first to suggest this?)
I like your way of thinking.

Vamphuntr

V_Ben said:
Edit: That lightning bolt... it doesn't really scream MGS, but then what else could it be, unless MS has managed to grab the HP license away from EA... or DH2 just has Kinect functionality again.

I agree the icon is not really MGS like but it fits Raiden and the tag line of Lightning Bolt Action for Rising.

I still feel (and seeing this thread is reinforcing it) that too many gamers are missing out on the ... dare I say it ... "core" games available on XBLA. It is a spot with at least one interesting, innovative, and fun game every month, and there are plenty of sales on the best games if you just look at the dashboard on Tuesdays.

I know it all comes down to preference, and plenty of people only enjoy the big budget boxed titles (e.g., Gears of War 3), but XBLA exclusives such as Fez and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet really aren't anything to just sweep under the rug as "downloadable games." They're as AAA in my mind as Gears or Uncharted or anything else, just on a smaller scale (in terms of budget and hours of gameplay).

V_Ben

Banned
Graphics Horse said:

It really isn't the batmobile though...

20F393231F35474FA48A7A13A427A.jpg

Not very close, design wise. It's definitely just a sports car :)

Vamphuntr said:
I agree the icon is not really MGS like but it fits Raiden and the tag line of Lightning Bolt Action for Rising.

Yeah, nothing else it really could be, yeah. Apart from Harry Potter Kinect functionality... but It's probably the former.

Belfast

statham said:
what games do you like on steam? newer games, I'm looking to jump on board.

Well, I bought tons of stuff over the two holiday sales at the end of last year, but in terms of the newest (actual release date) titles.

Can't go wrong with The Witcher 2 or Portal 2. Before that I played/bought Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, CoD: Black Ops, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 (that's a little older, granted).

Also tend to check out MMOs and with the exception of WoW, you can purchase most of them on Steam or another direct download service. Maybe Rift? TERA, The Old Republic, and Guild Wars 2 are on the horizon.

And then a variety of cheap/indie games.

If there's a big third-party game coming out and it's on the PC, I usually spring for that version these days. You've got Red Faction: Armageddon, Duke Nukem Forever, Deus Ex 3, RAGE, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim on the horizon to name a few.

Vamphuntr

The Dutch Slayer said:
Can we disected the cards that press got this week?

[img.]http://static.arstechnica.com/Gaming/msbadge1.jpg[/img]
[img.]http://static.arstechnica.com/Gaming/msbadge2.jpg[/img]

Only if you read the previous page of the thread first.

Arnie

[Nintex] said:
The idea that the Xbox 360 is a shooter box is laughable at this point. I could do list wars but those are stupid but needless to say that up untill 2008/2009 or so Microsoft had plenty of titles that weren't FPS's but still core experiences.

I like your way of thinking.
I bought my 360 in 2005 for Halo and Gears. Xbox Live got off the ground from the success of Halo 2 and subsequently Halo 3 and COD 4. Sure there are many other experiences out there that're great and aren't shooters, but they don't define the system.

Belfast

Arnie said:
If you couldn't find anything to play on it in the last three years then it's your own fault, not Microsofts. Hell the best console first person shooter was released for it in Halo: Reach last fall, and Alan Wake was a brilliant third person adventure game.

I actually quite like shooters, I just prefer to play them on a PC.

Raide said:
I was hoping it was a GTA game built in the Grease universe.

Grease of War featuring John Travolta and Marcus Fenix (AKA John Travolta) competing for Olivia Newton-John's heart? With Kinect singing and dancing? I'd totally buy that.

V_Ben said:
The GlaDOS stuff is more interesting though... are we going to see some exclusive Portal 2 news? The DLC announcement happening at their press conference? GlaDOS being the main villain in Episode 3, which will have a public debut at the MS conference? That one's a little trickier to fathom out, unless MS just wants an evil computer person to be the voice of xbox. But then they already have Matrick. :p

There were rumors about Steam(works) integration coming to Xbox Live, which I hope is not true, but it's a possibility.

The rest is pretty clear cut. Kingdoms, Star Wars, Gears and Halo. No rare logo though :(

No explanation for the plane and the nunchaku. Also, either the sword or the axe is probably for Skyrim.

metareferential said:
I really don't get the all "it has no games" paranoia.

Neither do I, but to each his own.

Graphics Horse said:

Announced together with Forza 4 and possible Forza World? I don't think so.

V_Ben

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
There were rumors about Steam(works) integration coming to Xbox Live, which I hope is not true, but it's a possibility.

Why would you hope it's not true? The PS3 implementation is kinda unobtrusive, and the cross platform co-op on Portal 2 is brilliant. :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Arnie said:

Come on, seriously? I personally hate shooters (well, to be fair I might like them but they invariably give me motion sickness so I can't play them) but I have over 60 Xbox 360 games.

For a while it was the best console for JRPGs and WRPGs.

Arnie said:
I bought my 360 in 2005 for Halo and Gears. Xbox Live got off the ground from the success of Halo 2 and subsequently Halo 3 and COD 4. Sure there are many other experiences out there that're great and aren't shooters, but they don't define the system.

Kinect Adventures sure does. It's in, what, 12 million homes by now?

V_Ben said:
Why would you hope it's not true? The PS3 implementation is kinda unobtrusive, and the cross platform co-op on Portal 2 is brilliant. :)

Well, I'm mostly basing it on my dislike for Steam on PC, but being reliant on two networks is a bit much in any case.

statham

Belfast said:
Well, I bought tons of stuff over the two holiday sales at the end of last year, but in terms of the newest (actual release date) titles.

Can't go wrong with The Witcher 2 or Portal 2. Before that I played/bought Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, CoD: Black Ops, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 (that's a little older, granted).

Also tend to check out MMOs and with the exception of WoW, you can purchase most of them on Steam or another direct download service. Maybe Rift? TERA, The Old Republic, and Guild Wars 2 are on the horizon.

And then a variety of cheap/indie games.

If there's a big third-party game coming out and it's on the PC, I usually spring for that version these days. You've got Red Faction: Armageddon, Duke Nukem Forever, Deus Ex 3, RAGE, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim on the horizon to name a few.
and what do you play on your PS3?

Arnie

StudioTan said:
Come on, seriously? I personally hate shooters (well, to be fair I might like them but they invariably give me motion sickness so I can't play them) but I have over 60 Xbox 360 games.

For a while it was the best console for JRPGs and WRPGs.
I'm not saying there aren't a ton of experiences on 360 that are of different genres, it's just the majority of games associated to the box in an iconic sense involve shooting things.

Ok, here's a game in the last 3 years that isn't a shooter and deserves everyones attention, Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise. I want a Viva sequel Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom