• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft on hardcore gamers: "Sweaty 30 Year Olds In Metallica T-shirts"

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
1555oo1.jpg

Thphrptt!

Softcore

Iknos said:
Did Sega make fun of gamers when the 32X launched?

The old Sega loved gamers.

The 32X was a fuckin' boondoggle but it wasn't the somewhat "go fuck yourself" that the Microsoft exec delivered at the press conference in question.

gofreak said:
Well, it's one of a series of implicit or explicit statements made about 'the hardcore' in the last few months. All on top of a context where MS seems to be decreasingly interested in generously serving its hardcore base.

So maybe that's why.

Kotick's gambit has been proven mostly true, and has spread.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn he got banned fast.

But really, they're not specifically saying all hardcore gamers are 30 year old sweaty metallica fans, they're just saying that typical gamers are fat, disgusting slobs. Relax people.

bigdaddygamebot said:
It is a big deal actually.

I work for a cellular company and if there was a press conference and an executive stood up and joked to the press; "Hey pay & talk/pay as you go clients are the poor, broke meatheads with a bad credit rating...but this is something for YOU guys..."

I can't even begin to imagine the shitstorm that would come from that.

I fully expect to hear comments like that from other sources and not from an executive that works in the gaming division for Microsoft.

I'm trying to think of a time when it's positive to make a joke at the expense of one demographic in order to curry favour with another demographic...

...and in this case, this executive making a joke at the expense of the demographic that has made Microsoft's gaming division a tonne of fucking money.

It could have been presented in a far more intelligent, compelling and less insulting manner.

Actually no, it's not.

tiff

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
hehe its like that one person you knew in high school that was cool with you when they were alone but any time popular people were around they acted like a total poser.

:D
glad i don't know what that's like.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Certainly not for all the cool guys like you in this thread that are so level-headed and totally have better things to worry about...like being cool.

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."
- David Reeves, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO

So Sony tells us we're all just mindless people that will buy the product anyway.

(and like already posted)
[People who play RPGs are] "depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."
-Hiroshi Yamauchi third president of Nintendo

Damn ... guess we can't buy anything Nintendo now either huh?

So that knocks out Microsoft (they insulted us!), Sony (they think we'll just buy anything! We're mindless!) and Nintendo (RPG's are for dorks!) ... Let me see, President of Activision wants to take the fun out of games, Blizzard HELPED make the South Park parody that had people who played their game get obese ... oh, and our beloved Kevin Butler said gaming is just "having a huge TV in a tiny one room apartment" ...

What else is there? I know various Japanese developers have insulted the US culture and gaming habits ...

But yeah, I forgot, a jab at gamers in Metalica shirts at an Australian conference is THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK MICROSOFT!

Give me a fucking break dude, it's not about being cool, it's about not being mildly retarded when reading everything online and putting it in context. But I forgot Microsoft is a pariah these days ... keep casting ye' stones.

EDIT:

And here's a little comment on that site about somebody who met the guy who has slandered the entirety of gaming culture

Hmm. He was a really cool guy with us. He made lots of self-depracating jokes and doesn't act anything like the usual tech manager.

I'd hate to see him slaughtered for it (there's some bloodlust in the media these days) but it would surely be better to preface casual gamer slagging with, "you may think that gamers..." He probably took that for granted and wasn't expecting you to be there. If we slam him too hard, then he'll just start acting like the usual measuring-his-words MD that won't answer any questions. Which would be a shame.

I'm sure he'd be suitably mortified at this. I'd be interested to see his response and I'm sure a few others would.

But from having met him, I think he's the sort of matey chap who's good at telling his audience what they want to hear in a friendly way. He's more genuine than many and I'd hate to see that stop. Hmmm..

Sounds like a real horrible person.

Calm down sweaty Metallica fans, he said gaming isn't just for you guys. They want to include sweaty 14 year olds in Justin Bieber t-shirts too, and I for one welcome them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jive Turkey said:
When I was in high school and really into Magic TCG there was only one real card/tabletop gaming store in town. My friends and I would hit it every other friday or so and every time we went in there there would be a certian...Ripeness to the air and the air itself was moist. It wasn't humid outside but for some reason it was inside!

That reminds me of my local hobby store. Which also does Friday Night Magic.

faridmon

I love the fact that they used Metallica in the proccess of insulting gamers. I am ever so happy about this because, apart from two albums, Metallica Sucks.

If they would use Dark Tranquilty or Opeth, that would be another story...

Corto

Ok, that does it! Tomorrow all my Metallica T-shirts are going away and I'll schedule my sympathectomy for next Monday. Laugh now Microsoft!

DangerousDave said:
A gamer that have t-shirts of hardcore groups, like the Ramones or Bad Religion.

Son of a ... got this the last time they were in town, filmed my fav song too!

IMG_5938.jpg

Thought the controller was a nice touch :lol

faridmon said:
I love the fact that they used Metallica in the proccess of insulting gamers. I am ever so happy about this because, apart from two albums, Metallica Sucks.

If they would use Dark Tranquilty or Opeth, that would be another story...

Yep, Metallica became too casual after Black Album :D

qirex99

Banned
REV 09 said:
Hey look! Another daily MS hate thread of nonsense blown out of proportion.

you sir....

have the most awesome avatar re: that unspeakable controversy from chamblee...

I'm da best mayne....ahdeeedeeeet..

soultron

Banned
Threi said:
Seriously though nobody should really be offended by this. The same reason they are doing this is the same reason MS and Sony and a lot of devs referred to the Wii's audience/appeal as "soccer moms, kids and grandmas": They are trying to get "cred" with the audience they are trying to appeal to. It was just a marketing ploy then and it's just a marketing ploy now.
Truth.

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it...

Gaming enthusiast press probably weren't even meant to be at that event. Microsoft is simply trying to appeal to a new audience with Kinect. One quip was at our expense. It's like letting friends who talk behind your back "win." Who really gives a shit?

Sydle

I don't understand their behavior lately. I get that they're trying to talk up Kinect and trying to convince people that they're really into it, but if they turn their back on the hardcore they will tank.

bill0527

legend166 said:
No they haven't. That's the entire point. They've lost Microsoft 7 billion dollars. It's a shock MS are just verbally insulting them and not firebombing their houses.

2 billion of that is on RROD - and that's not my fault, or any other gamer's fault. That's squarely on Microsoft. Unless you're one of those Microsoft sychophants who really believes that the RROD issue was way overblown and all those consoles that blew up were the fault of the user.

The other 5 billion was on the first Xbox and again, that's not the fault of anyone but Microsoft for building a box with off the shelf parts from 3rd party vendors. Instead of creating their own chipset, they let somebody else do it, and they weren't able to control costs because they couldn't get the price reductions that normally occur on these components over the course of time. Again, not my fault.

The hardcore are the ones who have saved the entire Xbox project from complete fucking disaster. The hardcore are the reason why Microsoft have finally been able to enjoy any profitability at all the last couple of years.

Moms and Grannies aren't going to magically keep the profits flowing once Kinect is released. That ship has already sailed in the form of Nintendo Wii. 3rd party software is what has made the 360 a success up to this point. 3rd party software also does not sell to anyone outside the core user. Ask Nintendo about that. It would be wise of Microsoft to stop biting the hand that feeds them. Those moms and grannies aren't going to fall over with their legs spread in the air when Kinect is released.

blame space said:
do pepople actually say "hardcore gamer" in real life?

Is this not real life? Are you not entertained?!

OK, the late evening booze seems to be slipping into my rhetoric now ... better back out while the sentences are still punctuated.

Have an excellent evening my fellow hardcore gamers.

Top Bottom