• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft on hardcore gamers: "Sweaty 30 Year Olds In Metallica T-shirts"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Haha, this is going to be one of those really ugly breakups where you have to pretend to care about your buddy's feelings but really you're just laughing at how terrible it all is.
perfect

flyinpiranha said:
Is this not real life? Are you not entertained?!

OK, the late evening booze seems to be slipping into my rhetoric now ... better back out while the sentences are still punctuated.

Have an excellent evening my fellow hardcore gamers.

Wise man lol. Too many times has this happened.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just happy I got into PC gaming when I did. Valve, Steam, the indies, 'middle-tier' kooky foreign games, better versions of console games and a keyboard and mouse, all motion control free.

I'm slowly starting to understand the folk who only really play handheld games or mainly PC games. Before this generation I was strictly console only, but my ass is sore and I'm looking for a gentler lover.

Starfire

Well, I do like Metallica (pre St. Anger anyway), but I'm still in my 20s (getting up there though), and I also like jazz fusion and classical symphony, also I'm not sweaty.

You know what your average sweaty 30 year-old Metallica fan loves though...Halo, Microsoft is too hip for it obviously, but its some sort of really popular shooty game.

Stupidity aside, that comment really does show an obvious demographic disconnect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Starfire said:
Stupidity aside, that comment really does show an obvious demographic disconnect.
well, we're talking about the people who only buy COD, Halo and Madden

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Rez said:
I'm just happy I got into PC gaming when I did. Valve, Steam, the indies, 'middle-tier' kooky foreign games, better versions of some console games and a keyboard and mouse, all motion control free.

I'm slowly starting to understand the folk who only really play handheld games or mainly PC games. Before this generation I was strictly console only, but my ass is sore and I'm looking for a gentler lover.

fixd for ya.

Replicant

Varion said:
ETA before grovelling apology when this starts spreading.

Oh but we didn't mean it! You're going to buy Kinect too, right? Right? ;_;
Ha ha. This.

And FUCK YOU M$,
I'm hardcore gamer and I'm not anything you awfully describe.

onken

I don't know what's more funny, the overreactions or the people falling over themselves to defend some giant corporation's PR gaffe.

-PXG-

I don't think the author is mad by the actual comment. It's Microsoft's foul attitude and delusion:

They're undermining and stomping on the audience who made them successful. And at the same time, they have this misconception that Kinect (which is entering a market, four years too late) is going to be an over night success. The think it will yield profits close to, equal to or greater than of what they had with the hardcore market or what Nintendo has had with the Wii.

In other words, MS is basically saying "We don't need you "gamers" any more, because dumb ass soccer moms, non gamers and little kids will eat this shit up. We've milked you for all we could and we're moving on. Oh, and thanks for your cash".

But little do they know, with that attitude, the competition (read: Nintendo) and (in my opinion), how much a piece of shit Kinect is, MS is in for a rude awakening. Their arrogance is unjustified, and they are going to pay for it. When Kinect bombs, MS will come up with every excuse and reason known to man, besides 1) it came out too late and 2) it's crap. Then again, do you really expect a big corporation to come out and be honest about why they fucked up?

Chrange

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I think my problem with all of this is that MS just made everyone sweatier. Way to help the problem, guys.
Don't you remember the first screens from this gen's NBA and wrestling games? This gen has ALWAYS been all about the sweat.

DaBuddaDa

-PXG- said:
I don't think the author is mad by the actual comment. It's Microsoft's foul attitude and delusion:

They're undermining and stomping on the audience who made them successful. And at the same time, they have this misconception that Kinect (which is entering a market, four years too late) is going to be an over night success. The think it will yield profits close to, equal to or greater than of what they had with the hardcore market or what Nintendo has had with the Wii.

In other words, MS is basically saying "We don't need you "gamers" any more, because dumb ass soccer moms, non gamers and little kids will eat this shit up. We've milked you for all we could and we're moving on. Oh, and thanks for your cash".

But little do they know, with that attitude, the competition (read: Nintendo) and (in my opinion), how much a piece of shit Kinect is, MS is in for a rude awakening. Their arrogance is unjustified, and they are going to pay for it. When Kinect bombs, MS will come up with every excuse and reason known to man, besides 1) it came out too late and 2) it's crap. Then again, do you really expect a big corporation to come out and be honest about why they fucked up?
Holy mother of god you're taking this way too seriously :lol :lol

We should strap these PR wonks to a chair and force them to play dodonpachi daioujou until they can kill hibachi.. or die trying. Then they'll know what true hardcore gaming means.:D

-PXG-

DaBuddaDa said:
Holy mother of god you're taking this way too seriously :lol :lol

Sorry for not posting another shitty pun or smart assed comment. I thought maybe, just maybe, some people would like to actually have a real discussion :/

The sweaty thing is funny. The dude who wrote that was over reacting, though, maybe he wasn't. But I think GAF is missing the bigger picture here.

What the MS executive said was dumb, but whatever. Who cares? It ain't that big of a deal. It's just their general attitude both towards the market that made them successful (gamers), combined with the insane notion that Kinect is gonna sell like gangbusters. It's cute and sad at the same time. I can't wait for a year to pass, after this Kinect has failed, after MS makes dumb excuses, and maybe, when they get their shit back together and learn not to be so arrogant. It will be interesting...

etiolate

Banned
There's some great irony in this article.

1. The hardcore image that Microsoft is working against is the "hardcore" that they invented and marketed. This is the ironic hardcore, in juxtaposition to the original "hardcore gamer" that was open and willing to try everything, even wacky shit. The image they are marketing against is their own image.

2. The outcry against it is made up of a bunch of people who bought into the manufactured "hardcore" that Microsoft created and are completely self-unaware of the lie they bought into. "We're the real gamers Microsoft!" is really just "We're the smucks that bought your marketing angle!" So now the outcry of "You sold out!" is really "We sold out and now we're getting mocked by our own false God." :lol

Wallach

Rez said:
I'm just happy I got into PC gaming when I did. Valve, Steam, the indies, 'middle-tier' kooky foreign games, better versions of console games and a keyboard and mouse, all motion control free.

WHtgn.jpg

It's not your fault.

etiolate said:
There's some great irony in this article.

1. The hardcore image that Microsoft is working against is the "hardcore" that they invented and marketed. This is the ironic hardcore, in juxtaposition to the original "hardcore gamer" that was open and willing to try everything, even wacky shit. The image they are marketing against is their own image.

2. The outcry against it is made up of a bunch of people who bought into the manufactured "hardcore" that Microsoft created and are completely self-unaware of the lie they bought into. "We're the real gamers Microsoft!" is really just "We're the smucks that bought your marketing angle!" So now the outcry of "You sold out!" is really "We sold out and now we're getting mocked by our own false God." :lol

Everyone who bought a 360 was just fooled by marketing? The good games on the system had nothing to do with it?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm 32, don't sweat a lot except when I play sports or go to the gym. I am good looking enough to have been offered to model for a fairly respectable agency (not that it matters). I buy/play easily 35-45 games (including PSN/XBLA games) a year. Not particularly interested in Kinect based on the games so far. Everyone in here has their own personality/physical apperance even though they are hardcore gamers. The people laughing at that joke in that audience are people I wouldn't want to hang around. They are as bad as the people thinking it was a good joke to make.

Nintendo, even if they have shifted their focus, at least they don't put people down. Microsoft has always had this attitude in business. You think potential profit justifies it? Probably wouldn't want to hang around you either.

Generalization and a judgmental attitude just sucks period whoever's mouth it comes out of.

etiolate

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Everyone who bought a 360 was just fooled by marketing? The good games on the system had nothing to do with it?

*sigh*

The image they are marketing against is their own image. This image is based on the "hardcore" or "core" gamer, something they skewed towards PC titles since thats the sort of software houses that they had quickest access to. The gaming public bought into this remarking of "hardcore" and started adopting it for everything and placing it against Nintendo's blue ocean marketing. The idea of what a "gamer" really is became forever skewed by MS's successful marketing plan.

Whether people bought their 360 for a certain game or set of games is irrelevant, they bought the "core" concept. People without a 360 bought the concept. The identity is what is ironic in the outcry.

Two questions the first for MS the second for gaf:

Who is willing to pay $60 a year to play their games online, sweaty 30 year olds or normal people?

Given that claiming that someone is the type of person that would buy a modern Sonic game is 100 time the insult that "sweaty Metallica lover" is why is this thread over 500 posts?

Gravijah

lowlylowlycook said:
Given that claiming that someone is the type of person that would buy a modern Sonic game is 100 time the insult that "sweaty Metallica lover" is why is this thread over 500 posts?

huh i never thought of it that way

etiolate said:
*sigh*

The image they are marketing against is their own image. This image is based on the "hardcore" or "core" gamer, something they skewed towards PC titles since thats the sort of software houses that they had quickest access to. The gaming public bought into this remarking of "hardcore" and started adopting it for everything and placing it against Nintendo's blue ocean marketing. The idea of what a "gamer" really is became forever skewed by MS's successful marketing plan.

Whether people bought their 360 for a certain game or set of games is irrelevant, they bought the "core" concept. People without a 360 bought the concept. The identity is what is ironic in the outcry.

That's not what you said before. You said they bought into the "marketing angle." It's not just an angle if the games are actually there. It's a bait and switch, not a marketing angle.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
etiolate said:
*sigh*

The image they are marketing against is their own image. This image is based on the "hardcore" or "core" gamer, something they skewed towards PC titles since thats the sort of software houses that they had quickest access to. The gaming public bought into this remarking of "hardcore" and started adopting it for everything and placing it against Nintendo's blue ocean marketing. The idea of what a "gamer" really is became forever skewed by MS's successful marketing plan. .

8yungj.png

bringing it back round for another ride.

SpacLock

I haven't followed gaming news very closely lately, but MS cutting down hardcore gamers sounds odd to me. Sounds like a spin.

Xbox Live is purely catered to the hardcore, not only from the price point (especially with the recent $10 raise), but to the features offered too. XBL brings in most of their money and it's mostly from the hardcore pockets, so to say that MS is trying to eliminate the hardcore is just ridiculous.

Edit: OK, I actually read the article. :/ People are overreacting.

Didn't I just freaking say that I didn't want to read anymore posts about how old everyone is and what kinds of shirts they wear?
Suddenly it's a time-warp and I'm in some cruddy AOL chatroom.

Top Bottom