• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Thanks for your dedication to Xbox: Here is Killer Instinct for free

RE_Player

I got an Xbox 360 about 2 years ago and have only been subscribed to Gold for a couple months of that time but I got an email. I have had an account for longer than that and been part of the rewards program after making an account on my cousin's console so that may have something to do with it.

Does anyone know if it will be a code of just flagged on your account as free? I barely use my 360 as it is and am not getting a One so this would be a waste.

zebwinz

Gadirok

Probably for loyalist who aren't getting an XB1

I'm pretty sure the people who had these high gamerscores would have bought an XBO eventually anyways. Its loyalty to Live.

I think they should have just done what PSN did and give $10 to everyone in their wallets rather than making a tiered system here where some people get XBOs, some get KI char unlocks, and others get some forza 5 car dlc (lol).

That way not that many people would have been whining about feeling "underappreciated".

Regardless, this is a great initiative for XBO, and I'm glad MS rewarded the loyal long time gamers who actually played their games to a hardcore level. The cutoff is funny, but still good work to MS.

Hopefully Sony follows suits and does something like this too. They probably won't.

EDIT: I should rephrase that. Sony didn't give $10 to everyone. It was some certain criteria that nobody figured out but it wasn't a tiered system like this. And given that someone like me, who bought a ps3 in 2011 and spent only about $100 on PSN only in october because of sale got $10 for no reason (I was never really loyal) I was surprised and pleased.

Unison

I don't understand the strategy here. They already have the loyalists.

This will just make the multi-console gamer feel even less appreciated when nothing lands in their inbox.

This... I have had the 360 since day one and have had XBL all along. I've bought dozens and dozens of XBLA games and am getting a launch day Xbone, yet nothing. Just makes me feel annoyed with MS.

Hopefully Sony follows suits and does something like this too. They probably won't.

It's debatable that Sony has already done a crazier hardcore version of this via their 'Bid for Greatness' campaign, where they were giving away their advertising props via trophy bids. That's really only winnable and desirable by the the most hardcore Playstation fans.

But something with a larger mainstream reach, probably not at this scale.

atrox

Neo Member
I've had the same active Live account since the original Xbox, 65,000+ gamerscore, Legend status on the My Rewards program, pre-ordered Xbox One (not through MS).

No e-mail for me.

RE_Player

To all the people posting amount of time on Gold or gamer score I really think it's the rewards program that is determining the emails. I don't have a high score or long running Gold account but I got one most likely from participating in surveys and other random stuff with the reward program (I would post my gamer tag but I share the account with my brother so it's private).

Gadirok

It's debatable that Sony has already done a crazier hardcore version of this via their 'Bid for Greatness' campaign, where they were giving away their advertising props via trophy bids.

But something with a larger mainstream reach, probably not at this scale.

The $10 thing in our wallets was very nice as they did that right before the official announcement for the PS4 as well. Alot of people were happy.

But I was hoping they could do something for the PS4 for people who aren't subscribing to PS+ or something.

Then again, I may be asking for too much considering they are giving people Resogun and Contrast who have PS+. Along with a free MP weekend for KZ:SF in December.

Might be better to do something like this later on when preorders aren't sold off the face of the earth.

Because I love free stuff and companies who give away free stuff.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
To all the people posting amount of time on Gold or gamer score I really think it's the rewards program that is determining the emails. I don't have a high score or long running Gold account but I got one most likely from participating in surveys and other random stuff with the reward program (I would post my gamer tag but I share the account with my brother so it's private).

I even changed my subscription to month to month to get more rewards points

nah I really just set it to month to month while changing CCs a few years back and forgot to change it

so I've been paying $120 a year for XBL for 60 more points a year :-S

EvB

There must be an element of luck in it

I have played 457 games on my account and have purchased 125 XBLA games

my best friend has a very similar score and tenure and useage to me and has possibly bought more games, hasn't had the email/

kodecraft

To all the people posting amount of time on Gold or gamer score I really think it's the rewards program that is determining the emails. I don't have a high score or long running Gold account but I got one most likely from participating in surveys and other random stuff with the reward program

This.

StingX2

And the final last ditch effort to keep me I guess failed. Have 200k+, 5 years on live, tons of time. Not a single email

U2NUMB

While I got the game free and that is awesome.. wondering what one has to do to get the console.

Beta tested Live in 2001.. gold member every since.

1200+ games on my 360 profile

260k gamerscore..

Curious as to the stats of those that are getting the system.

While I got the game free and that is awesome.. wondering what one has to do to get the console.

260k gamerscore..

Holy crap. That's Dedication, Holmes!

EvB

And the final last ditch effort to keep me I guess failed. Have 200k+, 5 years on live, tons of time. Not a single email

Have you ever changed your gamertag?

That's the only real difference between me and my friend, he changed his and didn't get the email

ShogunX

Seems to be a lot of people getting upset over not getting a free game from ''LOL DOUBLE HELIX''. Have opinions finally changed on the game now? Anyway I got the email and I will be giving away the code when I get it (If I can). Not planning on getting an X1 until later next year so somebody on GAF may as well get use from it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

260k gamerscore..

you sir didn't fill out enough surveys :p

Seems to be a lot of people getting upset over not getting a free game from ''LOL DOUBLE HELIX''. Have opinions finally changed on the game now? Anyway I got the email and I will be giving away the code when I get it (If I can). Not planning on getting an X1 until later next year so somebody on GAF may as well get use from it.

the game is quite honestly looking like the best launch game for either platform, considering the crazy amount of praise it has received. It is almost impossible finding a negative hands on impression of the game and I have been looking since the game is playable in tons of places.

from casuals to pros the consensus is the game is addictive and fun

I have even seen some very harsh critics do a complete U turn on the game... I am so hyped for it :-0

There must be an element of luck in it

I have played 457 games on my account and have purchased 125 XBLA games

my best friend has a very similar score and tenure and useage to me and has possibly bought more games, hasn't had the email/

That would be me.
114k GS
8 year tenure.
535 games played across WP, Xbox 360, GFWL.
234 XBLA games owned.

I know there are people out there with more than me and still no email for the either.

It's hard not to feel a bit dishearten when you are reading people who have lower scores, tenures or don't even have gold any more being reward but what can you do?

Saw a guy on twitter who is an editor of a fan/gaming site apparently get rewarded the console bundle.

Maybe this is just the first drop of emails and another drop will come another time, can only hope.

Edit- I did change my gamertag.

Amir0x

Banned
Save me the torture of playing yet another Killer Instinct game and give me a free ticket to Peggle 2, thanks.

I am master level on xbl rewards and I bought cod ghosts on games on demand and I didn't even get the freefall map code. I can't get a break it seems.

StingX2

I think its more, at least for me, the people with extremely low score and time on Xbox 360 getting it. The guys that got free xbox ones with 500k gamerscore? yeah they earned it. But not even a character code for the normal dedicated? lame

vg260

These sorts of giveaways are usually determined by marketing people looking at their customer data base for some criteria or internal metric they determine important. It's not gonna be cut and dry, as there's a promotional reason for this kind of thing. It's never "fair". It you lucked out, cograts!

Avinexus

Saw a guy on twitter who is an editor of a fan/gaming site apparently get rewarded the console bundle.

Interestingly enough, the only guy to post on the official Xbox forums about getting a console is listed as an Xbox MVP, had one of those "Gamer Spotlights" about him, and has a website about xbox stuff, etc.

It's a good thing that this thread exists! I checked my Hotmail account (that I don't actively use) and got my email. I probably wasn't going to buy KI so this is a nice surprise!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have about 80k Gamerscore. No Code for me! (-_-;) Pretty weird. I'm a fairly active Rewards member, too.

Oh well, not much of a biggie. I'd just use the $20 saved from having the normal edition (and upgrading to Ultra) to buy something like Powerstroke Golf.

I'll keep my eyes open for another wave of freebies. You'd think they'd offer a free fighter to people who spend too much time playing fighters... I'm sure most of my time on XBLA has been between them and "Dynasty Warriors" games, lol.

"Dude, this guy spent hours playing Battle Fantasia on XBL. GIVE HIM A CODE!" :/

Interestingly enough, the only guy to post on the official Xbox forums about getting a console is listed as an Xbox MVP, had one of those "Gamer Spotlights" about him, and has a website about xbox stuff, etc.

Yeah just saw him on twitter talk to support about it.

Gamejunky

Got the email.

Canada, 108k GS, 7 year Gold, no XO preorder achievement (have it preordered at Best Buy) rewards member from the start. Pretty psyched that I got something.

Reallink

XBL since '03, 8 years paid Gold, 55k GS, day 1 rewards member (have just done the surveys), nothing for me.

Nothing for me. Probably the last push I needed to cancel my Amazon pre-order. I was probably gonna cancel anyway, but this certainly didn't help.

I mean I had an original Xbox, had gold the moment Capcom vs SNK2 came out until very recently. Had over 100k gamerscore, rewards memeber, all that. Stuck with the 360 despite having to get it replaced twice due to RRoD. If they don't feel like I'm a loyal customer after all that, then I guess I should prove them right.

bidguy

Banned
39226-SjqQ1gif-BYVv.gif

dude you really love that gif

anyways i checked all emails i had in hopes of getting a free xbox one

:(

Zafir

Nothing for me, been with Xbox live since the original Xbox days, but my gamerscore isn't that high. I have a PC and PS3 as well so achievements are all over the three, that and most of the time I just can't be bothered unless the achievement is enjoyable.

Top Bottom