• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Thanks for your dedication to Xbox: Here is Killer Instinct for free

waypoetic

Banned
"Please don't leave!"

Free game though, cool.

Haha yup, first thing i thought when i saw this thread title.

"what do we do what do we do what do we dooo?!? UUUH... KILLER INSTINCT FOR FREE? YES! YES YES! GIVE 'EM THAT! QUICK, ANNOUNCE IT! make sure sessler and gies gets the news first!"

xkramz

I got mine too!
Got 5 years with gold
25,000+ gamerscore
Bought only arould $200 worth of games through live the past 5 years.

DrDogg

The next gen game I'm most looking forward too, that's AWESOME!

10yr Live member here & my inbox is empty :(

^THIS

Where is my free game MS?!

EDIT: So I'm getting punished because I don't have a high gamerscore? Sorry that I don't care about my gamerscore MS. Doesn't mean I don't play. That *almost* makes me not want to get an X1 at launch. Stupid nostalgia...

Bobb

Haha yup, first thing i thought when i saw this thread title.

"what do we do what do we do what do we dooo?!? UUUH... KILLER INSTINCT FOR FREE? YES! YES YES! GIVE 'EM THAT! QUICK, ANNOUNCE IT! make sure sessler and gies gets the news first!"

Riiiight. Looks like you're upset people are happy they're offered a free game.

reKon

Banned
Probably will be a great exclusive next to Forza too! If i were getting a One at launch I would want KI the most by far. Niceeee

A good thought by someone at my office. It's all about Microsoft's wording, which makes this tougher to swallow by those that didn't get a free copy. "How about a free game as a thank you." So they're not thanking everyone? Or the people with 10 years of XBLG, uninterrupted service? It was pretty much a big slap in the face for those. Thanking us for what exactly? Many people on here who got a code aren't even getting an XB1.

I got nothing, but then again, I never once received Xbox Rewards emails and have called them about it numerous times, haha. Knowing my luck I probably did win something but never got an email.

There is definitely an element of luck involved. I know others with more gamerscore and longer tenures that didn't get one.

They still have me listed as an XBL ambassador, at least I'm still getting the emails, so maybe that factors in but I kinda doubt it.

I'm guessing they took all accounts with over a certain gamerscore, above a certain tenure, etc and just put them all in a random drawing and dolled out a certain # of consoles, certain # of killer instincts, etc.

If there's a luck factor, then it is officially the first time in my entire 34 years of life on this earth that I've won anything valued over $10 by random or even partially random chance.

Either way, I'm suddenly excited for launch where before I was just kinda "meh, getting one to play DR3, that's it". Now I'll probably check out a couple other launch titles lol.

Briarios

You know, I don't think this works the way companies think it does. Best Buy and Sony have done similar things ... And, it just turns me off as a consumer that they value another customer more than me. I've had Live for 8 years, got a gamer score approaching 80,000 - but, I'm not as appreciated, so I don't get the freebie.

To be honest, I don't care about a free game - but when separate out your consumers like that, you've got to realize you're going to engender some ill will within the one you value less. This isn't like a contest where many will enter, few will win - it's an organization seeking out only certain individuals to reward on the eve of launching a new system.

From a PR perspective, I would have warned them to stay away from these kinds of promotions.

Footos22

Got killer instinct. Not had live for about 3 years on my original account. 68k gamerscore. Was a live member since live was first implemented. Gonna give code to my mate as not getting an Xbox one till later next year.

Milennia

Couple of people i know, achievement hunters actually, just got some consoles, 1 came with forza, the other was that big ass bundle with 1 year of live, 1 year of music pass, and every exclusive pretty much digitally.

edit: appears to be all over reddit as well, thats pretty nice of them.

no idea what the qualifications are, but 1 has 7 years on xbl with 360k GS and the other has 6 years on xbl with over 510k GS.

Got killer instinct. Not had live for about 3 years on my original account. 68k gamerscore. Was a live member since live was first implemented. Gonna give code to my mate as not getting an Xbox one till later next year.

It's only redeemable on your account.

You know, I don't think this works the way companies think it does. Best Buy and Sony have done similar things ... And, it just turns me off as a consumer that they value another customer more than me. I've had Live for 8 years, got a gamer score approaching 80,000 - but, I'm not as appreciated, so I don't get the freebie.

To be honest, I don't care about a free game - but when separate out your consumers like that, you've got to realize you're going to engender some ill will within the one you value less. This isn't like a contest where many will enter, few will win - it's an organization seeking out only certain individuals to reward on the eve of launching a new system.

From a PR perspective, I would have warned them to stay away from these kinds of promotions.

I think there's a lot less ill will than you think man. Most people are bummed they didn't get one, but happy for those that did. It gets word out, gets people talking about it, etc. This is basically marketing, and it works. Like I said I'm a whole lot more excited about it now than I was when I was paying $500 for a console. Will that get me talking about it? Probably. Clever girl, MS, clever girl.

As I said before I'm nearly certain there's a luck factor involved. People don't get mad at companies when they do a free drawing. You don't get mad at publisher's clearing house because the old lady down the street won a million a year for life or whatever it is. It's free shit, and free shit is never bad press.

In fact this is one of the most positive PR moves they've made, if not THE most positive, thus far for launch. And I'm not just saying that because I'm getting one. I was royally pissed I missed out on the 10-year anniversary console even though I've been on xbox live since Beta on the OG Xbox, but I also knew it was great for brand image.

kodecraft

Couple of people i know, achievement hunters actually, just got some consoles, 1 came with forza, the other was that big ass bundle with 1 year of live, 1 year of music pass, and every exclusive pretty much digitally.

edit: appears to be all over reddit as well, thats pretty nice of them.

no idea what the qualifications are, but 1 has 7 years on xbl with 360k GS and the other has 6 years on xbl with over 510k GS.

Nice.

Briarios

I think there's a lot less ill will than you think man. Most people are bummed they didn't get one, but happy for those that did. It gets word out, gets people talking about it, etc. This is basically marketing, and it works. Like I said I'm a whole lot more excited about it now than I was when I was paying $500 for a console. Will that get me talking about it? Probably. Clever girl, MS, clever girl.

As I said before I'm nearly certain there's a luck factor involved. People don't get mad at companies when they do a free drawing. You don't get mad at publisher's clearing house because the old lady down the street won a million a year for life or whatever it is. It's free shit, and free shit is never bad press.

In fact this is one of the most positive PR moves they've made, if not THE most positive, thus far for launch. And I'm not just saying that because I'm getting one. I was royally pissed I missed out on the 10-year anniversary console even though I've been on xbox live since Beta on the OG Xbox, but I also knew it was great for brand image.

Contests are different, because you - the consumer - choose to go to the company to try and win something. Studies have shown that those sorts of events tend to grow the desire for the product in the people that want it, whether they win or not. Rewarding loyal customers works, too - but there has to be specific metrics, so others can aspire to that, as well. This has none of that. I'm happy for the people that won, especially the ones that got free systems - that rocks. But, for every one of them, there are dozens of people that have supported the company just as much that get nada. The way it was phrased in the announcement makes it seem like the company likes those people more than others.

The real problem is, no one can tell what the criteria is for winning - so, how can someone that didn't win even aspire to be that lucky in the future. People love random contests, but they don't like things that seem unfair. I think if they had said: we are rewarding you for doing X, it would have been very different.

There's not really a positive upside to this unless Microsoft is a fan of you ... which likely means you're already a fan of them. But, what about the other fans? My background is in PR, so, like I said, my recommendation would have been to do this very different. We'll see how it plays out, though.

I got mine too!
Got 5 years with gold
25,000+ gamerscore
Bought only arould $200 worth of games through live the past 5 years.
Did you just get the email? :eek:

You're stats basically match mine. SoYoureSayingTheresAChance.gif

Unless you received yours at 7AM, in that case back to no hope.

Mugatu

I got it too - would gladly give it away but it says the codes are tied to the account they were sent to.

I got the Forza car as well.

malfcn

Nothing for me.
Anyone get an email and not getting the One? :)

Guess no sharing. But that makes sense, because sharing would turn into selling.

NoTacos

It was my understanding the game was already f2p, so does this mean Microsoft is making it even more free to play?

Dai101

Banned
It was my understanding the game was already f2p, so does this mean Microsoft is making it even more free to play?

7vHW5fi.jpg

Also, a PSA:

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Oh. I was hoping they were giving it for free to all purchasers of xbox one. That would have been even better.

Good news nonetheless.

Jarlaxle

Bought both xbox consoles day 1. Got Live day 1. Ten years of service. I'm super excited about Killer Instinct. 50,000 Gamerscore.

No code for me. It feels really bad I'm pretty broke with 2 young kids too. This would have really made my day.

Top Bottom