• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Thanks for your dedication to Xbox: Here is Killer Instinct for free

ryanmac

Banned
I have canceled my Xbox pre-order because I didn't get something free. Hello PS4!

Just kidding.. I will end up buying an xbone when Titanfill hits. Damn you Microsoft!!

This woulda been the perfect opportunity to them to bring the games with gold program to Xbone and offer killer instinct as the first game

Defect

I've been a member for 6 years and have multiple 360s that work. I was going to buy this game anyway but I enjoy free things.

One last, desperate attempt.

desperation-by-xbox-one_o_2440759.jpg

Just found another Xbox forum MVP has been given an xbox and forza 5.
Really does pay to be on that forum, funniest part is this.

As for me, I didn’t do a pre-order of Xbox One so this came as a special treat.

A true xbox MVP.

big_z

Nothing for big_z :(

Would be nice to get a free console. it would make my ps4 or xbone choice very easy and then I can give my friend my Xbox preorder.

My expectations are pretty low though. Microsoft has never offered me anything, they even failed to give me my space points during a summer of arcade promo. The only thing they like to send is the popup to add a security proof every other day.... Which I have 3 verified already. :|

Fingers crossed for the next wave. Ill try a few more donations to the Doritos/Pepsi god as well.

anyone remember how to answer mvp questions?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/forum_faq/f/6/t/117951.aspx
What is an MVP?
An MVP is empowered with the same abilities as a moderator, but has been awarded the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award. These people are also a very good source of information.
How do I become a moderator, or MVP?
The best way to become a moderator or MVP is to follow the ToU and CoC, as well as be a helpful poster. Current moderators and MVPs will take notice, and recommend you for the position.

I think that it

I got one but it's wasted on me. I'm not planning on buying an Xbox One, so hopefully it's a code I can give away, not tied to my account. I guess I've been on LIVE for 6 years or so, 187,000 Gamerscore. I used to play a lot and complete most of my games achievement wise (258 at 100%), but I've since moved on to PC gaming. I haven't touched my Xbox in probably 6 months. Thanks though, Microsoft.

WiCkEd_Co

Had the first Xbox launch month been with live since week 1 and I still don't get squat from them, I also have 3 Xbox's in my home. :(

spannicus

I got one but it's wasted on me. I'm not planning on buying an Xbox One, so hopefully it's a code I can give away, not tied to my account. I guess I've been on LIVE for 6 years or so, 187,000 Gamerscore. I used to play a lot and complete most of my games achievement wise (258 at 100%), but I've since moved on to PC gaming. I haven't touched my Xbox in probably 6 months. Thanks though, Microsoft.

I'd gladly take that code off yer hands fine sir hehe.

They didn't send me one and I bought both Xbox's at launch and have been a Gold member since the program launched. What BS!

MrDaravon

Holy shit, people are getting free consoles as well? Goddamn. I got the KI email this morning.

-Don't have the console pre-ordered
-~90k gamerscore
-Master level in their VIP program (which I didn't even know was a thing until I hunted it down based on comments in this thread)
-9 year tenure (I have had one or two brief lapses into Silver however)
-No idea about what a MVP is, so assuming I'm not one.

11 years on XBL and didn't get shit. I'm done with Microsoft anyways. They gave people free xbox 360s for the 10 year anniversary and I got an avatar helmet. Microsoft can fuck off. Going ps4/wiiu this gen!

Anyone thinking this is to spur pre-orders is sadly mistaken. You can't find an xbox one anywhere. At least in New York the damn things are sold out everywhere. I'm trying to buy a second one as a surprise birthday gift for a friend, and can't find anything.

If anyone knows where I can find one, and get it on or near launch, please private message me.

Please for the love of god by a XBO... we'll throw a free game at them they like that....

faster than a TV
more powerful than a Wii U
able to scan QR codes in a single bound.

Look Down! under your TV!

it's a surveillance unit
it's a VCR
it's the Xbone

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Please for the love of god by a XBO... we'll throw a free game at them they like that....

faster than a TV
more powerful than a Wii U
able to scan QR codes in a single bound.

Look Down! under your TV!

it's a surveillance unit
it's a VCR
it's the Xbone

Hope you didn't spend all day coming up with that.

Yeah, okay.

I don't know if it's going to bomb or not, but the fact that Microsoft is giving one of their exclusive games for free with all the characters unlocked is pretty cool.

Regardless of how I feel about the art choices, the gameplay looks rock solid.

Congrats to all who got it free. :)

I know it will be played quite a bit. However, I have no idea how many people will take kindly to being blatantly nickel and dimed. Perhaps if they want a Gary Soto book. But yes, it's nice of Microsoft to give a free game with all characters unlocked, but to me, the game looks half baked, slathered with special effects that actually look like they're going to hinder the fighting due to the focus on where the eye wanders, and the art style is toebaggin. The art style is a hot mess. But I will tip my sombrerro to MIcrosoft and their infinite generosity by giving a minority of people access to enough playable characters that would constitute a beta or demo in this era.

But if I was to be completely honest, I'd say that Killer Instinct is a relic that should have stayed in the past. It was cool back then, but looking back on it now, that style of gameplay is just so bland. It offends my fingers, the focus on the flashy thing offends my eye, and the nickel and diming makes me want to ass punch myself. I rather pay full price for a fighting game, rather than pay per character. I find that to be the beginning of the end in a fighting game. Though on the plus side, I'm sure I will learn how to fight plenty of Jagos.

This woulda been the perfect opportunity to them to bring the games with gold program to Xbone and offer killer instinct as the first game

QFFT. This idea makes way to much sense. You should tweet Major and Albert about it. Actually, Albert probably isn't really paying attention to twitter right now.

Ubersnug

So, decided to chat to xbox support myself and see if I could get some sort of confirmation on additional email waves and the criteria people needed to meet:

chatpduqt.jpg

According to 'ingrid', it is based on score and tenure, which contradicts alot of what we have heard from people who don't have a great gamerscore or are not long time subscribers to live. There is also mention of other promotions as well. So who knows at this point?

PARANO1A

I've had Live for about six or seven years, been a gold member on and off and have 36K gamer score... but nothing for me. I rarely finish games or do achievement hunting, and would have bought a few hundred games this gen to get there, so a bit miffed.

Oh: and I have a preorder for a One.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
*thumbs up*

People need to chill out. Its great to see Microsoft actually trying hard to turn all of this around.

Edit:
Not everyone is getting this? I guess I spoke too soon.

We have history, wink wink ;)

Neat of Microsoft though, I only have 47K so well below that entry point it seems.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Been with XBL for 10 years now - got 20 cents for my birthday several years ago which was nice. Wasn't planning on getting an X1 or KI anyway but it's a nice gesture from MS regardless of whoever gets the freebee.

5 years of Gold, 120k Gamerscore, 330 games played, 160 games bought on XBL. Nothing.

That's ok, I don't plan to buy the XO.

Besides this being a really, really nice gesture from Microsoft, it serves strategic purposes:

1) It gets lots of people interested in Killer Instinct who might not otherwise focus on it. This allows Microsoft to plan extra DLC, sequels, and build some momentum. It also spurs interest in the classic Rare catalog.

2) It's some positive PR about the console. The berated company needs some good press, and giving away free stuff is a fantastic start...it's cheap, painless, and does lots of good for the image of the company

3) It cultivates the relationship between the Xbox ecosystem and the player. Microsoft doesn't want you to switch. They want a smooth transition within the Xbox realm. Thanking you for your dedication with free stuff is incentivizing your investment in the ecosystem and enticing you to join Xbox One

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
10 years on Live, 100,000 gamerscore and Master in rewards.

Nothing.

Maybe MS knew I cancelled my order. ;/

I dont see why a high gamerscore should be a factor.
Anyone with 5+ years should get KI. 10+ for the console. Will mean theyve paid for it in Live fees at least :p

VaizardNL

Banned
Would suck if it had anything to do with the award program. We don't have that here in the Netherlands. But we are Tier 2 anyway, so I doubt we would get an email regarding this right now.

Offtopic: Does anyone know if more has been revealed regarding the release date for Tier 2? Or heard something regarding when this would be made public?

Top Bottom