• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

coastel

This is great. My son accidently purchased a game I would never play when I first got my ps4 when the tv was off and messing with the control pad. I hope Sony does this to.

Jumeira

Banned
Would love to return FF15 which was a waste and I bought on a whim. But knowing there's now a safety net for all future purchases certainly helps taking a chance. I'm going to be experimenting more with games I may usually sit on the fence on.

meirl

Banned
This is great. My son accidently purchased a game I would never play when I first got my ps4 when the tv was off and messing with the control pad. I hope Sony does this to.

There is a Reddit post about this on the PS4 subreddit. It was on the top of Reddit with over 40.000 upvotes. Maybe this will pressure sony to do the same:

From Reddit:
"Xbox is now going to allow customers to self-refund any game purchased within 14 days with under 2 hours of playtime. Please, let's put the pressure on Sony to implement something like this as well."

Link: http://reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/650hpd/xbox_is_now_going_to_allow_customers_to/

Bluth54

Good to see Microsoft follow in Valve's footsteps with this, hopefully it will pressure Sony and Nintendo do the same.

I remember when Forza Horizon 2 came out. Bought 3 copies on the store by accident as it claimed it wasn't bought and was charged thrice.

I had two of the charges refunded within 10 minutes of realising what had happened. Microsoft has always been good at customer service and this is a game changer.

I am careful with my games but I would have used this for No Man's Sky had Sony had this feature.

I hope that people don't abuse it. As I can imagine MS getting wise and blocking accounts who are taking extreme advantage of it.

It's actually baffling how Sony treats its consumers with refunds. I hope they do the same -- as their policies are so backward and aggressive.

Durante

While I detest UWP and all it stands for, very digital store should have a solid systematic refund option. So good job on that.

Dumb people don't deserve to be catered to.

This kind of behaviour gave the US it's president xD

Seriously though. Tastes are subjective. A broken game is objective. Big difference.

Except consumer rights in many countries allow refunds based on subjectivity. You can get refunds to almost anything within 10-14 working days no questions asked. Yes, even for buyer's remorse.

A company isn't going to be hurt by it unless they are already in dire financial trouble.

Also, reading reviews of a product aren't always indicative of your actual experience, it still may not click for you even if you thought it may from what you researched. It's not that binary.

This really is great.

MS have taken very seriously the twin pillars of:

1. Making Xbox a safe, inclusive place to play - with stuff like clubs, tournaments, back compat and self-refunding.

2. Making Xbox easier to develop for e.g. ID@Xbox, Scorpio changes

They really do need to up their game in terms of studios/first-party games, but getting their infrastructure right around the games in also important. Hopefully MS will announce something big like a couple of new development studios they have decided to create to work on new IP.

oldergamer

Good on ms for improving customer service. Its taken 4 years but they are doing a good job reversing past mistakes or oversights.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've never bought an Xbox, but I will say this is an AMAZING thing! Hope Sony copies them.

Marjorine

I have to think Sony will do the same. Competition is good.

Or they won't. IDK. But it would be nice if they did. Their current system is really unfair. The preorder refund thing is just an attack on consumers IMO.

Peroroncino

Paging dr. Sony, paging dr. Sony.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

In all seriousness, this is a great move from Microsoft and I really hope that Sony will follow suit, this is definitely something that only consumers benefit from.

What's fascinating is that this is a 100% role reversal from last gen. When Sony was getting pummeled and trying to win back hearts and minds, they gave us Playstation Plus.

So if I have to launch it, will I have a big fat 0 gs after I get a game refunded? :(

I imagine you could also call their customer support for a refund without downloading/starting the game.

This is just for the self-service method. I imagine if people have an issue that doesn't let them (a) download or (b) start or (c) go on the web.. they can call customer support and still get it taken care of.

Metzhara

I highly doubt people are going to be willing to permanently give up all rights to refund just to rip off a couple indie games.

You're giving scumbags too much credit... however... I believe they will be the exception (hopefully).
That is until a thread on GAF blurts out, "You can beat this game in 2 hours!"

If we're a responsible community (gamers) then this is a reasonable and totally fair process. In regards to Inside, anyone who rushes to beat a game quickly so they can refund it is a cockroach to society that we shouldn't encourage. They don't likely stop at just games.

Great news. This should be a standard by now and it blows my mind how awful Sony has treated its customers with valid reasons for wanting refunds. They better keep up.

Well it's trully a great news .

Sony and especially nintendo should follow this trend ASAP

The more this get widespread, the more publishers will probably wait a little more before pushing some releases out of the door

Theorry

4tdfhx5flpry.png

Also make sure the game is closed...I actually had to close it and turn off my Xbox to get the refund
It gave me a warning please close the game and I did that and it didn't work till I actually turn off the console

Top Bottom