• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this shit that greeted my work computer this morning upon boot.

KyL7sNj.png

That's 13 minutes 38 seconds. Click 'I need more time'

FHlQJ70.png

yM2Uj5q.png

Click 'reschedule'...

Rt3Hmd6.png

And there it is, the only way to cancel

Wow.

Can anyone instruct me how to completely disable these upgrade prompts?

I don't want something like this to happen to my work computer.

Thorgal

KyL7sNj.png

FHlQJ70.png

yM2Uj5q.png

Click 'reschedule'...

Rt3Hmd6.png

i had this happen to me last night .

i have resigned myself that if i wake up one morning and find myself staring at an win 10 OS ill accept what has happened and deal with it but for now i canceled it as described above .

only question i now have is whether or not it is going to try again or if one time canceling put a stop to it ?

Plumpman

It's fucking ridiculous all the trouble some people go through just to avoid a free upgrade to one of the best Windows ever made.

Its not avoiding it necessarily, in my case everything works perfectly on my setup and I don't feel the need to have the possibility of screwing everything up with an OS upgrade.

I will love Windows 10 on my next PC, but I'm alright for now.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'd be so pissed if I was doing some actual work on this PC and this update happened all on its own. It would literally cripple my ability to work.

It happened to me at the very end of an important software release. To say the least, it was a very frustrating weekend. The sole reason I had not updated was that my workplace was still using Cisco VPN Client, which does not work nicely with Windows 10. Thankfully, the backend was updated to Cisco's AnytimeConnect due to all the Windows 10 complaints.

It's incredible this forced upgrade is not bigger news.

IISANDERII

Sure. Usually it means to exit completely unless it's a popup of sorts which means to exit that popup but not the entire program so to speak, however a popup can also cancel that action (the entire program) by clicking on the X. Problem is They knew what that "X" meant to users especially in this scenario.

They could have easily done the "X" to exit or cancel any scheduling as that is what most users perceive it to mean, especially on an upgrade/update. It's also an exploit of what they perceive. I mean lets be real for a second right?, they knew this.
No, they didn't know this. They've just been relentlessly harassing people and scheduling it without consent for months and suddenly decided to be nice guys!

googly

This happened to me last week, I clicked the red x thinking that would avoid the update.

Then when the timer, which I couldn't see any longer, hit zero it restarts my computer to do the update right in the middle of an assignment that I was working on. Fucking fantastic Microsoft

You know fuck it I'm going back to Win10

I upgraded before but went back to 7 when my HD failed. Never had a problem with it in the first place...that I remember.

I'm shaking my pointer is over the button. pls help me from making a terrible mistake

Tricking people? Yeah, maybe if they can't read lmao.

This happened to me last week, I clicked the red x thinking that would avoid the update.

Then when the timer, which I couldn't see any longer, hit zero it restarts my computer to do the update right in the middle of an assignment that I was working on. Fucking fantastic Microsoft

Should have read the pop-up more than, say, not at all.

Atleast you saved regularly so you didn't lose much work.

Future

KyL7sNj.png

FHlQJ70.png

yM2Uj5q.png

Click 'reschedule'...

Rt3Hmd6.png

Even after clicking I need more time the timer continues to tick down???

Microsoft should be above this shit. This is akin to shareware installing random shit you didn't ask for on your computer, toolbars mysteriously appearing on old browsers, auto subscribing to mailing lists by accident, ads auto installing shit unexpectedly..... Really wtf

I get that everyone should be on the latest OS. Hell I get nagged on my iPhone all the time to upgrade. I also know that some people aren't very computer savvy and in some cases need to be auto upgraded (because they will never open a dialogue and click yes)

But there is no reason to resort to shady shit. Even if people get opted into it (which I don't necessarily agree with), why the hell would you make it exceptionally difficult to cancel it? The fact they are opting in to cancel means they know what they are doing

gamz

Even after clicking I need more time the timer continues to tick down???

Microsoft should be above this shit. This is akin to shareware installing random shit you didn't ask for on your computer, toolbars mysteriously appearing on old browsers, auto subscribing to mailing lists by accident, ads auto installing shit unexpectedly..... Really wtf

I get that everyone should be on the latest OS. Hell I get nagged on my iPhone all the time to upgrade. I also know that some people aren't very computer savvy and in some cases need to be auto upgraded (because they will never open a dialogue and click yes)

But there is no reason to resort to shady shit. Even if people get opted into it (which I don't necessarily agree with), why the hell would you make it exceptionally difficult to cancel it? The fact they are opting in to cancel means they know what they are doing

This. And there's really no need for it. It's a great OS and people are going to install it eventually.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
There truly is a defense force for everything
not sure what this has to do with anything.

This. And there's really no need for it. It's a great OS and people are going to install it eventually.
going by the XP to windows 7 transition not really.

Microsoft: Hey Guys XP support ends in 2 years! And here's these FREE tools and these Enterprise grade tools to help you with the transition
everyone: NOOO we love our XP, you cant do this
Microsoft: ok fine we'll make it 4 years.
everyone: fuck it thats fine i guess
***3 years later***
Microsoft: reminder, xp support ends next year, And we've even made these tools better.
everyone: yea we don't care you wont really end support
microsoft: hey guys xp support ends like next month
everyone: bullshit!
microsoft: xp support ended last month!
everyone: NOOOO we need security updates and stuff
microsoft: really? like really really?
everyone: yes!
microsoft: fine, pay an exorbitant amount per device for support
everyone: ok fine!

i know of several very large companies that spent a small fortune paying for extended xp support instead of just fucking updating.
And then i see posts on technet of people whining that the latest enterprise tools don't support XP, its just ridiculous.

Darg

Neo Member
No, they didn't know this. They've just been relentlessly harassing people and scheduling it without consent for months and suddenly decided to be nice guys!

"Time to troll that X" ehehehe

-MS

If MS were going to pull this kind of thing off they should of atleast had the decency to remove the X altogether since it appears to be useless for this instead of confusing most users of why it's even there if it does the same thing/result as the other options on that notice/popup, but i think we know the answer to that one of why it's still there *cough Cough*.

neoism

the end result is you end up with a better OS for free so it's not difficult to see why some people are unsympathetic.

you know that's not true.

better.... i hate it the metro design i just dont like 10 at all and will not use it, mostly because of MS shitty way of forcing down my throat.

Skinpop

no. people should be on whatever covers their needs and they feel comfortable with/want to use.

as for the second point, no. most people don't actually need to be upgraded and when they get a new pc in a few years they'll get the latest version anyway.

Future

no. people should be on whatever covers their needs and they feel comfortable with/want to use.

as for the second point, no. most people don't actually need to be upgraded and when they get a new pc in a few years they'll get the latest version anyway.

Yeah. But when their OS gets hacked they aren't gonna blame themselves for not upgrading they are going to blame Microsoft. Releasing an OS doesn't mean support till the end of time. Hell, for many products support ends the second a new update is created when it is a free upgrade. Bringing everyone to a new OS is preferred to ensure security and stability.... Microsoft doesn't want another Windows XP that they have to waste money supporting forever

That doesn't warrant shady tactics to get people to upgrade though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This isn't about the fucking quality of the OS.

It's about letting people choose to upgrade whenever the fuck they decide it's time and not sleazily schedule a forced upgrade where the only way to cancel or postpone it is obscured as fuck.

neoism

I don't know how people go back to 7 unless you have incompatibility issues. 7 looks and feels so damn dated.

well its all subjective i like how 7 looks i hate how 10 looks... i like an os to do what i chose not what it wants.

Skinpop

Yeah. But when their OS gets hacked they aren't gonna blame themselves for not upgrading they are going to blame Microsoft. Releasing an OS doesn't mean support till the end of time.
So what if they get blamed, they still get money and it's not like win 10 is immune to hacking.

I also don't blame them for ending support in 2020. sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I just don't agree with the notion that people should be on this or that version, even if they are computer illiterate.

Hell, for many products support ends the second a new update is created when it is a free upgrade. Bringing everyone to a new OS is preferred to ensure security and stability.... Microsoft doesn't want another Windows XP that they have to waste money supporting forever

That doesn't warrant shady tactics to get people to upgrade though.
bringing everyone to a new os is mainly preferable for ms. for me it's a headache as I don't want anything to do with win 10 until I know their plans for win32, uwp, control over updates, simple options to permanently remove telemetry/cortana and so on.

I haven't ever got an upgrade offer on my windows 7 PC but I think my wife's 7 laptop got this popup last night. She hasn't turned it on yet today so hopefully I can stop the upgrade from happening.

I'm sure windows 10 is pretty great when it works but that doesn't matter. What matters is that 7 currently works perfectly for everything I need it for, 100% of the time. There is no benefit to upgrading right now so MS can get fucked if they try and force it on me.

Zarovitch

I would like to upgrade but Win10 broke my asus g73 evry time. I try some fix and nothing work.

I don't want to get a force update

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
We use a WSUS in our offices, so my users don't even see the Upgrade App that Microsoft pumps out.

We're not really diggin' the forced upgrade path that MS pushing. We just updated most of our plant last year, so we don't have any computers with Skylake CPUs in them. Windows 7 is going to have support until 2020, migrating profiles SUCKS when going from Win 7 to Win 10, and we have a custom application that still seems to crash in Win 10 when you lock your screen. I don't mind Windows 10, and have started upgrading the home computers to it, but I completely understand why folks are holding off on it.

BasicMath

How about yes. You can't defend it without prefacing 'it's shady, but'. You acknowledge it's a shit move, then try to justify it because it means less work for you as an IT guy.
You know, that would explain the whole "Everything's the user's fault." believe currently permeating the thread.

And I guess I kinda get it. The problem is that most of us are simply choosing to not upgrade our own personal computers for a variety of reasons. If this were a company computer, I wouldn't mind it being forced throughout. That would make sense. Less fragmentation = less problems = less IT staff around.

bbc has a front page article on this debacle today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221
I'm glad it's getting more exposure and hope it continues. Maybe it'll make a difference.

googly

Tricking people? Yeah, maybe if they can't read lmao.

Should have read the pop-up more than, say, not at all.

Atleast you saved regularly so you didn't lose much work.

Do you work for Microsoft? What kind of attitude is that to have?Tricking people is exactly what they are doing, I've closed the update box that pops up probably 50 times before. So now they've gone and changed the box to try and trick people who have just automatically closed it as they've seen the box so many times previously.

You'd think closing the box that many times would be some indication to Microsoft that I don't want to update at this time. There should never be that type of timer placed on an upgrade to a new OS.

But lmao right its hilarious

zma1013

I would like to upgrade but Win10 broke my asus g73 evry time. I try some fix and nothing work.

I don't want to get a force update

That's the other funny thing about this is that there are Windows 8 computers out there that have no official Windows 10 support or drivers. I just upgraded someones laptop from 8 to 10 and there were no Windows 10 drivers for it. I ended up just using some random drivers from a different model and they seemed to work, at least better than the generic auto Windows 10 drivers.

I like Windows 10 and I think people that can upgrade should, but I don't like that Microsoft is basically forcing people to do it and I really don't like that some of you are making fun of those people for disliking it too.

I also think windows 10 is good and people should upgrade unless they have a specific functionality that won't work if they do. with that said, this move just reaks of microsoft desperation to drive up them statistics. You shouldn't have to resort to this to get people to upgrade lol.

captive

How about yes. You can't defend it without prefacing 'it's shady, but'. You acknowledge it's a shit move, then try to justify it because it means less work for you as an IT guy.

I can and I did. I dont really care what you think. I think the ends justify the means in this instance. You disagree, thats fine.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I don't know how people go back to 7 unless you have incompatibility issues. 7 looks and feels so damn dated.

- You're accustomed to the environment.
- You don't like the look of Windows 10.
- Migrating profiles is easy in Win 7. Not in Windows 10.
- Scheduled tasks seem to work differently in the background of Win 10. Migrating tasks don't always work.
- Nvidia drivers don't always play nice on Win 10.

captive

This is where we'll have to thoroughly agree to disagree.

good, cause im tired of you editing my posts down and responding to one little bit, case in point the part where i specifically already said we disagree, you still take it out and say we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom