• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jthn

Neo Member
How is this misleading? Windows creates a pop-up telling you when it will upgrade unless you cancel or reschedule. By clicking the X, you're not changing any options and simply closing the pop-up. It's like if I received an email and closed chrome. Clicking the X doesn't change anything, just closes the window.

Misleading would be those pop-ups that have a fake X in them or require you to close other pop-ups before you can close that one. How is this not common sense?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wouldn't say they're tricking anybody. It clearly says that it upgrades automatically, and that it's scheduled to upgrade.

Then it has "click here" to cancel it from upgrading on your PC.

*shrugs*

How about DON'T upgrade automatically and ASK me if I want to be upgraded? Is that too hard? Is that too much to ask?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If it was that solid, why are they forcing people to be upgraded to it?

same reason they make Windows auto install patches because people wouldn't do it otherwise (like in the XP era when you had to use a browser and that was a mess)

The real problem here is the UI to cancel the download is obtuse and people who don't want to upgrade are getting caught out not that Microsoft are provided software upgrades.

Windows 10 is a better OS and most people should use it. Some people obviously don't want to and that should be respected but for everyone else it is a good idea to make it a recommended update because your average person isn't going to install a new OS by choice.

I know it was, but if people didn't care about it 3 years ago, why would they now?

That depends on the reason why they didn’t care.

However since the free upgrade is about to end, users should be re-assessing why they chose not to upgrade in the first place.

I love seeing people act like Microsoft is above this kind of thing.

I just find myself in the weird section of the populace that wants this to happen.

The more people on 10 and the more streamlined the Azure back-end is, the easier my IT job is.

The more corporate and consumer support of 10/Server 2016 there is, the easier my IT job is.

Upgrade to 10 now, heathens! Repent or burn!
K7KCrFD.gif

mckmas8808

I take it you don't work in IT.

Supporting multiple OS/programs is a nightmare for both Microsoft AND for all businesses that run Windows.

So many of my clients upgraded to 10 and couldn't use their old work apps, or want to, but can't due to incompatibilities or other issues.

I've worked in IT for the last 10+ years of my life. Just end support for Windows 7. No need to force the upgrade though.

Berordn

I just find myself in the weird section of the populace that wants this to happen.

The more people on 10 and the more streamlined the Azure back-end is, the easier my IT job is.

The more corporate and consumer support of 10/Server 2012/16 there is, the easier my IT job is.

I mean, I'm kind of in the same boat? I'd love to get all my clients on Server 2016/Azure and Windows 10.

But we're talking hardware that is 5-6 years out of date and companies unwilling to pay for new hardware/cloud migrations. Not to mention some of the entitled users outright rejecting change - and I can't just outright tell VIPs to suck it up when I'm taking their dollar.

I'd be happy slowly pushing them to update all their equipment and infrastructure to make an environment where this push can happen, but the upgrades happening as they have been are souring them on the idea before it can be marketed to them properly.

How is this misleading? Windows creates a pop-up telling you when it will upgrade unless you cancel or reschedule. By clicking the X, you're not changing any options and simply closing the pop-up. It's like if I received an email and closed chrome. Clicking the X doesn't change anything, just closes the window.

See:

Especially when you consider the fact that earlier upgrade prompts looked like this:

hc3gfrc.jpg

Here you HAD to click the red X, and there was nowhere in the dialog box to click to cancel. And now you get one that works completely the other way around.

Considering the fact that you get this above dialog EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY, one could be forgiven for not reading it through that thoroughly every single time.

It's shady as fuck. I don't see why anyone would want to defend it unless they're getting paid for it.

mckmas8808

I mean, I'm kind of in the same boat? I'd love to get all my clients on Server 2016/Azure and Windows 10.

But we're talking hardware that is 5-6 years out of date and companies unwilling to pay for new hardware/cloud migrations. Not to mention some of the entitled users outright rejecting change - and I can't just outright tell VIPs to suck it up when I'm taking their dollar.

I'd be happy slowly pushing them to update all their equipment and infrastructure to make an environment where this push can happen, but the upgrades happening as they have been are souring them on the idea before it can be marketed to them properly.

BOOM! 100% on the nose.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man, I'd be so pissed if I was doing some actual work on this PC and this update happened all on its own. It would literally cripple my ability to work.

Try this:

Go to display settings>advanced display settings>display adapter properties.

Then click on “List all modes” on the bottom. If you see your native resolution in that list, select it and click on ok to set it.
Tried that already. The highest I can select I 2560x1080, which is wrong for my monitor. I also tried unplugging the secondary monitor, removing the monitor drives from the device manager and restarting. Same thing, no luck.

Next thing I guess I should try is downloading that 3rd party tool that allows you to create custom resolution - but I've seen plenty of people complaining about this same exact issue, and the custom res tool didn't help them in the end.

No.

People are canceling by clicking the red X in the corner - the same manner in which Explorer has trained for years - and it's only now that the functionality is being changed.

That's shady.

This isn’t explorer, it is a program and the action of the red X can vary (Minimize to taskbar, present another dialog to confirm, etc.)

Now, Microsoft did change the action of the Red X to not cancel the upgrade, but that is because they added a new option to cancel, they also stated in their upgrade article that if you press the red X, you are agreeing to the upgrade.

“This notification means your Windows 10 upgrade will occur at the time indicated, unless you select either Upgrade now or “Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade”. If you click on OK or on the red “X”, you’re all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do. “

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675

If anything, they should have added another dialog box to appear confirming your upgrade when clicking on the X, or left it as is and have a dialog box appear confirming to cancel.

Aselith

Not to mention some of the entitled users outright rejecting change - and I can't just outright tell VIPs to suck it up when I'm taking their dollar.

But you don't have to because based Microsoft is doing it for you. Bill's got your back!

Man, I'd be so pissed if I was doing some actual work on this PC and this update happened all on its own. It would literally cripple my ability to work.

Tried that already. The highest I can select I 2560x1080, which is wrong for my monitor. I also tried unplugging the secondary monitor, removing the monitor drives from the device manager and restarting. Same thing, no luck.

Next thing I guess I should try is downloading that 3rd party tool that allows you to create custom resolution - but I've seen plenty of people complaining about this same exact issue, and the custom res tool didn't help them in the end.

HDMI or DVI?

BasicMath

This isn’t explorer, it is a program and the action of the red X can vary (Minimize to taskbar, present another dialog to confirm, etc.)

Now, Microsoft did change the action of the Red X to not cancel the upgrade, but that is because they added a new option to cancel, they also stated in their upgrade article that if you press the red X, you are agreeing to the upgrade.

“This notification means your Windows 10 upgrade will occur at the time indicated, unless you select either Upgrade now or “Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade”. If you click on OK or on the red “X”, you’re all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do. “

If anything, they should have added another dialog box to appear confirming your upgrade when clicking on the X, or left it as is and have a dialog box appear confirming to cancel.
For pretty much as long as the desktop metaphor has existed, the 'X' on the top right means the equivalent of "Escape", "Cancel", or "Close Program". It doesn't mean "Ok", "Keep doing whatever you're doing", or "Continue". That has pretty much been common knowledge or at the very least implied for the last 2-3 decades.

It's something that Microsoft themselves used in one the previous upgrade prompts.
Now, Microsoft just changed this in the same manner politicians change or interpret the meaning of words for their own gain.

It's bullshit, coercive and deceptive design.

And yes, there's way to fix this but the fact of the matter is that they didn't. And they stand to gain from that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HDMI or DVI?
First monitor (2560x1440) is HDMI, 2nd one, which is 1920x1080 is on DVI. I have some older ATI card, but the setup worked fine on Win7.

I guess Windows 10 is confused that HDMI input could be above 1080p, but my problem is that I don't have two DVI cables and the 2nd monitor doesn't support HDMI.

Btw, I tried the CRU 1.2.6 to create the custom resolution, and it only made things worse. After running it, the highest I could select was 1920x1080, and I had to run it's reset tool to get back to where I was. Strangely, the tool itself has correctly recognized the monitor resolution, but I guess couldn't apply it.

For pretty much as long as the desktop metaphor has existed, the 'X' on the top right means the equivalent of "Escape", "Cancel", or "Close Program". It doesn't mean "Ok", "Keep doing whatever you're doing", or "Continue". That has pretty much been common knowledge or at the very least implied for the last 2-3 decades.

It's something that Microsoft themselves used in one the previous upgrade prompts.
Now, Microsoft just changed this in the same manner politicians change or interpret the meaning of words for their own gain.

It's bullshit, coercive and deceptive design.

And yes, there's way to fix this but the fact of the matter is that they didn't. And they stand to gain from that.

Close isn’t the same as cancel, from the Windows guidelines:

“Closing a window does not necessarily mean quitting the processes associated with the object being viewed. For
example, closing a printer's window does not cancel the printing of documents in its queue. So even though exiting
an application closes its windows, closing a window does not necessarily exit an application. Similarly, you can use
other commands in secondary windows which result in closing the windowfor example, OK and Cancel. However,
the effect of closing the window with a Close command depends on the context of the window. Avoid assuming that
the Close command is always the equivalent of the Cancel command.”

jstripes

Banned

The more corporate and consumer support of 10/Server 2016 there is, the easier my IT job is.

Management: "Hey, he just said Windows 10 makes his job easier. I guess we can let half the department go and double his workload."

m_dorian

Close isn’t the same as cancel, from the Windows guidelines:

“Closing a window does not necessarily mean quitting the processes associated with the object being viewed. For
example, closing a printer's window does not cancel the printing of documents in its queue. So even though exiting
an application closes its windows, closing a window does not necessarily exit an application. Similarly, you can use
other commands in secondary windows which result in closing the windowfor example, OK and Cancel. However,
the effect of closing the window with a Close command depends on the context of the window. Avoid assuming that
the Close command is always the equivalent of the Cancel command.”

99% of the programs/windows close-stop working-stop do their thing,when using the red x button, a usage habit all windows users do.
If you need to provide the above detailed windows guideline about the one in a million time where the red x button does not stop the process then you just prove the point people are raising about how this upgrade works.
I use 10, its ok but MS should not force the 10 upgrade to people.

99% of the programs/windows close-stop working-stop do their thing,when using the red x button, a usage habit all windows users do.
If you need to provide the above detailed windows guideline about the one in a million time where the red x button does not stop the process then you just prove the point people are raising about how this upgrade works.
I use 10, its ok but MS should not force the 10 upgrade to people.

This is untrue. For example, Skype for Business minimizes to the taskbar icon tray when you click on the red X, it doesn’t just stop running and the process shuts down.

Same thing for Dbabble, an old IM program, when you click on the X it minimizes. Also Spotify I believe used to do the same. There are many programs that don’t shut down when you click on the red X, the active window simply closes or is dismissed.

Iorv3th

Server 2016 isn't out yet though other than preview. Most places won't get to it for a while. Some are still on 2003 or just moving to 2008 r2. I just got 2012 R2 last year.

I hope everyone who is okay with this will keep that position if like Windows 11 or Windows 12 is like Vista levels bad and/or breaks compatibility with apps for some odd reason.

m_dorian

This is untrue. For example, Skype for Business minimizes to the taskbar icon tray when you click on the red X, it doesn’t just stop running and the process shuts down.

Same thing for Dbabble, an old IM program, when you click on the X it minimizes. Also Spotify I believe used to do the same. There are many programs that don’t shut down when you click on the red X, the active window simply closes or is dismissed.

So it is not 99% but more like 90%, perhaps? Still forcing the upgrade using this method is shady.

Davidion

You can keep going, but whatever trickle of exceptions you can find will always be paltry compared to the dominant amount of programs for which an x button, never mind a red one, serves as the metaphor for termination. This language is practically universal at this point across not only windows but OSX, web, mobile; pick an environment, any environment.

Even if you moved beyond the design pattern, it wouldn't excuse the fact that the consequences for the miscommunication is significant compared to just about any examples you would bring up; accidentally letting an IM process run in the background doesn't have the same weight as accidentally changing your entire desktop OS. Combined with the fact that this was never a user initiated action and that they're intentionally presenting you with an overly wordy dialog window mixed with marketing messages and poorly framed calls to action, translates into nothing but shady BS that people are bending over backwards to justify with nothing to support.

Quite frankly, there's no defense for whatever Microsoft's doing other than some appeal to technicality. It's the same excuse that someone could use for any banner ad designed to trick the end user to some shady website instead of where they wanted to go.

MUnited83

For you.
I hope everyone who is okay with this will keep that position if like Windows 11 or Windows 12 is like Vista levels bad and/or breaks compatibility with apps for some odd reason.

Best thing is that by accepting the update to Win 10 in the first place, they lost all control of updates, so they won't even be able to refuse the update to 11 or 12. MS will do whatever the fuck they want to their PCs and they don't care about how it will break compatibility.

Management: "Hey, he just said Windows 10 makes his job easier. I guess we can let half the department go and double his workload."

Thankfully I'm the manager >.>

Server 2016 isn't out yet though other than preview. Most places won't get to it for a while. Some are still on 2003 or just moving to 2008 r2. I just got 2012 R2 last year.

Yea I mean for the future. All our clients get 2012, and if they have 2003 they are getting 2012 asap. We still handle 2008 servers, though.

fertygo

Best thing is that by accepting the update to Win 10 in the first place, they lost all control of updates, so they won't even be able to refuse the update to 11 or 12. MS will do whatever the fuck they want to their PCs and they don't care about how it will break compatibility.

Wow W11 will be bigger trainwreck than this?

Korey

A gaffer on the gaming side got fucked by a stealth Windows 10 upgrade. The upgrade process formatted one of his drives and he lost years of work.

Windows 10 Auto Update Deleted YEARS of Work Without Notice

I was very diligent about making sure my desktop was no longer in danger of being auto updated to Windows 10 but completely forgot to do the same on my work laptop. After 5 hours or so working away from my desk I sit back down to discover my laptop is now suddenly running windows 10. While annoyed I blame myself for not remembering to disable the update on my laptop.

Thinking the forced upgrade is naught but a mild inconvenience that can easily be remedied I go to load up my work for the week only to discover that my entire 500gb Data drive has now been formatted as a Windows Recovery drive which has resulted in the loss of literally years of work. While I have a back up it is over a year old and was not a full back up of the entire drive due to storage constraints on the network storage here at my place of work Funnily enough it was an issue I was planning to remedy with a archived back up to my Desktop this past weekend only to accidentally forget my laptop at work over the weekend. Go figure right.

This reformatting has resulted in the loss of over 250gb of word, excel, and pdf documents representing years of my hard work and I have no foreseeable way of recovering it. I'm looking at months of man hours recreating my lost documents and supporting materials.

So,
******************* WORD OF WARNING *******************
If your recovery partition is not on your main HDD Windows 10 can apparently decide to reformat whichever drive it is on during the auto update process.

I sincerely hope this saves others the misery this has caused me. Please, if you are running a Windows OS that is not Windows 10, for your sake, learn from mistakes and avoid such a devastating loss of data by backing up all your work ASAP.

Can't believe so many people are defending this. Whether it's a good OS or not isn't the point. MS is literally tricking people in order to increase their user numbers, but I guess a lot of people here are just fine with that.

Blizzard

Banned

And yet, the PREVIOUS upgrade prompt window, from Microsoft, did behave differently when you clicked the X.

Why are you suggesting they changed it?

-BLITZ-

A gaffer on the gaming side got fucked by a stealth Windows 10 upgrade. The upgrade process formatted one of his drives and he lost years of work.

What ? That's nightmare. Okay, for now disabling the Update until the internet-people will take actions and do something to minimize this kind of conflicts. I cannot afford to lose my stuff that I cannot backup. Adieu for now. It's not Microsoft privilege to do this kind of moves to their consumers if the red X lost front, now they come up with something like this. With updates or no updates on hacking or viruses of today are still able to penetrate your system, whatever you protection you may have, if someone wants to.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Get the FOH with that nonsense. I've developed games and business software on MS platforms for two decades now, and used the consumer OS versions for even longer.

There is no excuse for this. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

When your best defence is, "well it's shady, but..." then you've already lost. Shameful behaviour all round.

You can keep going, but whatever trickle of exceptions you can find will always be paltry compared to the dominant amount of programs for which an x button, never mind a red one, serves as the metaphor for termination. This language is practically universal at this point across not only windows but OSX, web, mobile; pick an environment, any environment.

Even if you moved beyond the design pattern, it wouldn't excuse the fact that the consequences for the miscommunication is significant compared to just about any examples you would bring up; accidentally letting an IM process run in the background doesn't have the same weight as accidentally changing your entire desktop OS. Combined with the fact that this was never a user initiated action and that they're intentionally presenting you with an overly wordy dialog window mixed with marketing messages and poorly framed calls to action, translates into nothing but shady BS that people are bending over backwards to justify with nothing to support.

Quite frankly, there's no defense for whatever Microsoft's doing other than some appeal to technicality. It's the same excuse that someone could use for any banner ad designed to trick the end user to some shady website instead of where they wanted to go.
Preach.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
i suppose if you next next next through software install that installs bloat ware thats the vendors fault you didnt read?
What are you talking about? Nobody is clicking "next" to continue an install, they're using the commonly established UI - the red X - to cancel the process entirely.

Hell, if there was a "next" button to press, that would be 1000x more transparent than what's going on here. Pick a better analogy.

I bet that for every single program you could name which doesn't follow the time honoured pattern of 'big red X means no/dismiss/close/cancel//fuck off/not tonight Henry', people wouldn't have difficulty finding 99 others that do.

OFfyZ8f.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wonder how long it will be before MS has people phoning people on 7 and 8 and telling them that a problem has been detected with their computer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HDMI or DVI?
To expand on my previous answer, if you have an idea what I can try anymore:

I've tried using the DVI cable instead of the HDMI on 2560x1440 monitor. When I did that, upon bootup, computer has shown the bios stuff at the beginning, then when the windows was supposed to show up, there was just nothing on the screen. Eventually monitor detected "No Signal" and shut itself off. When I reverted back to HDMI cable, I at least got back what I had before - a wrong 2560x1080 resolution.

I guess I could try buying a displayport cable and see if that works...

Hesemonni

Banned
Look at it this way: GAF members are probably going to keep in close touch with relatives helping them with everything W10 related.

gamz

Good article by Thurrott just posted.

The violation of trust here is almost indescribable. It’s bad enough that Microsoft has been training Windows 7 and 8.1 users—i.e. most Windows users—to not trust Windows 10 because of this horrible, unstoppable advertisement. But now they will not trust their own sanity because all they’ll remember is that they dismissed the advertisement by clicking the Close windows box. Why on earth did Windows 10 just install on my PC?!?

Why on earth, indeed. Coupled with the growth of clean personal computing platforms like Chromebooks and Macs, and the fact that Microsoft can’t convince its own PC maker partners to not ruin the Windows experience with crapware, one has to wonder: Is this all part of some plan to destroy Windows from within? I mean, seriously. You couldn’t write a dumber story about how to ruin something that is otherwise as wonderful as Windows 10.

My God, Microsoft. Just stop.

Can't believe so many people are defending this. Whether it's a good OS or not isn't the point. MS is literally tricking people in order to increase their user numbers, but I guess a lot of people here are just fine with that.

Someone once told me that the best possible opinion somebody could have of an OS is a neutral one. Because OSs by nature are suppose to act as a means to an end, nothing more. Employing spyware tactics kind of flies in the face of that.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
How about you just acknowledge that it's a shitty practice without the 'but'.

How bout no?

If i had a dollar for every ticket i've ever closed on helpdesk because some idiot didnt read something correctly i could quit my job.

Like i said before i have no sympathy for people that don't read.

I once had a lady in marketing call me first thing in the morning saying her computer wouldn't work and it wont turn on. So i go down to her office and try to turn it on myself and it blue screens. And then i say what happened? And she says "Well yesterday i was trying to leave and it said it was installing updates so i just held down the power button till it turned off" you know the part about updates where it says DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER, yea thats what she ignored and did anyway.

If people don't want to upgrade their computer, it's their right. No I don't think it's a good idea to stay on Windows XP but nagging and pulling every trick in the book to install Windows 10 is pathetic.

This isn't a security patch which is usually a quick install and a reboot which can be postponed. Upgrading someone's OS which can take an hour or more with multiple reboots and potential for data loss when they may be working on a deadline etc is really bad.

I get why they do it but that doesn't make it right.

So far that's the only box I've ever gotten.

While that sucks and an OS should never do that, I've become pretty apathetic to people who refuse to back stuff up. His last backup was over a year ago but it's absolutely vitally important information? Everyone waits until they lose data to backup which is stupid.

Vorg

Banned
Typical anti-consumer Microsoft bullshit. Not surprising to be honest. This is what we've come to expect from Microsoft.

ItIsOkBro

Check out this shit that greeted my work computer this morning upon boot.

KyL7sNj.png

That's 13 minutes 38 seconds. Click 'I need more time'

FHlQJ70.png

yM2Uj5q.png

Click 'reschedule'...

Rt3Hmd6.png

And there it is, the only way to cancel

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The reason why I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 on my surface pro is because it jacks up all of my drawing programs. As in, making my pen useless and I can't draw. I have no idea how to fix it after hunting for answers on the Internet, so I just stay on Windows 8. I'm on a pretty tight schedule as far as my art goes, so I need that thing to work properly, and it works properly on Windows 8. I don't have anything against Windows 10, personally, because it was pretty good when I messed with other programs and web browsers, but fucking up my art programs is a deal breaker.

This is a fucked up move by Microsoft. Now I have to make sure I didn't actually ok an upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom