• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinpop

What the hell is up with people telling others who don't want to update to just do it?

it's a running theme with these threads.
apparently if you don't upgrade to win 10 you are despicable security hazard that ruins the day for everyone else. if you like the version you are currently on you might as well be on win 95 or android 2.0. If you don't trust ms and have suspicions about where they are pushing their os you are a silly tinfoil hat.

You even see people arguing that the nonsense you have to put yourself through to disable the upgrade and popups is perfectly fine and reasonable when in reality ms are using the exact same manipulative and sneaky tactics as malware.

-BLITZ-

CjI7MM-UkAATMDV.jpg:large

is there even a cancel option on this thing? the blue button scrolls a fucking list of shit that wants me to upgrade, the menu has another list of shit that wants me to upgrade, set time has no 'go fuck yourself' option. I know a previous gaffer said he got out of it but I'm a fucking dummy and just want to know how to get this thing to kindly fuck off

/edit or does this one not force you to upgrade if you red-x this one? fucking hell i'm confused.

Look inside Task Manager and see if the .exe will appear in processes and from there to services. Find what .exe are running there and rename them by erasing their extension completely including the dot. That why the file cannot start if is a ghost file.

Darg

Neo Member
Some really, really weird support and passivity for this shit I'm seeing in the first few pages.

It's been going on for the past few threads pertaining to Win10 for several months (and longer). Microsoft knew exactly what they were doing with the "X" and not "oops...we thought X meant something else, we swear!".

it's a running theme with these threads.
apparently if you don't upgrade to win 10 you are despicable security hazard that ruins the day for everyone else. if you like the version you are currently on you might as well be on win 95 or android 2.0. If you don't trust ms and have suspicions about where they are pushing their os you are a silly tinfoil hat.

You even see people arguing that the nonsense you have to put yourself through to disable the upgrade and popups is perfectly fine and reasonable when in reality ms are using the exact same manipulative and sneaky tactics as malware.

I'm on W10 and some of the shit people are saying in this thread are embarrassing the hell out of me. There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to upgrade and MS isn't even starving for new adopters (the message this thread is about even brags about having 270 million+ users). There's no justification for forcing people to upgrade, all it'll do is create bad PR. Use an incentive program or a extension of the free upgrade period if you want more to take the plunge already.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's been going on for the past few threads pertaining to Win10 for several months (and longer). Microsoft knew exactly what they were doing with the "X" and not "oops...we thought X meant something else, we swear!".

Ofcourse. They use these adware tactics because they fucking work. They know that people are used to just clicking these things away. They exploit that.

ShadowOwl

Been using Windows 10 for a good while and switched back to 7 after all. 10 is faster even on older systems (mine is a 2008 gaming PC), I'll give it that. But if you didn't distrust Microsoft before you should start doing so now. Why does Cortana have to run as background process if I'm not using it? Ugh. The system settings are a total mess as you much two different ways to access setting for pretty much every category. And don't get me started on the privacy issues.

Maybe you should just upgrade already?
Shouldn't your spider senses go off when a company is trying to force a system upgrade upon you?

Been using Windows 10 for a good while and switched back to 7 after all. 10 is faster even on older systems (mine is a 2008 gaming PC), I'll give it that. But if you didn't distrust Microsoft before you should start doing so now. Why does Cortana have to run as background process if I'm not using it? Ugh. The system settings are a total mess as you much two different ways to access setting for pretty much every category. And don't get me started on the privacy issues.
All the while using the internet with reckless abandon!

I'll admit the default settings suck but you can disable virtually all of the bullshit that is on by default.

faridmon

These posts about enticing people to upgrade are piss taking.

I like Windows 7 and I don't see a reason to upgrade.

Full Stop.

Ferr986

My boss at work got the Win10 upgrate before noticing. Now he keeps coming at me to ask me on how to find or do things. Annoying as fuck, he didn't need to upgrade.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

yea and they are fucked if they do anything like this and they are fucked if they dont.

Lest you forget all the threads/posts "IE 6 needs to die!" "why won't IE6 die!" "XP is still great!" "i love my XP, best OS ever, in 2014"

they dont want to support all this shit that people cling on to like its a death knell to give it up.

Darg

Neo Member
That's great and all and it's obvious they do not want to end up in the XP situation again but the reality is that Win 7 is on extended support until 2020, i'm sure they would love to worm their way out of that in a heartbeat but too bad. They can throw their support (extended at that) at that year if they want but in the meantime, it is what it is.

It's fucking ridiculous all the trouble some people go through just to avoid a free upgrade to one of the best Windows ever made.

Regardless of how good 10 is (and it is good, imo), Microsoft shouldn't be ramming it down peoples throats like this.

They should make it easy for people to decline the update if they want to, not trick people into installing it.

GhaleonEB

is there even a cancel option on this thing? the blue button scrolls a fucking list of shit that wants me to upgrade, the menu has another list of shit that wants me to upgrade, set time has no 'go fuck yourself' option. I know a previous gaffer said he got out of it but I'm a fucking dummy and just want to know how to get this thing to kindly fuck off

/edit or does this one not force you to upgrade if you red-x this one? fucking hell i'm confused.

This is the one I usually get. The only way to close it without scheduling the install is to hit the X.

Facism

What the hell is up with people telling others who don't want to update to just do it?

It's pretty slimy. People make these threads with a genuine issue with how the OS is being pushed onto them, only for people to come in and hand-wave the topic away, whilst telling us Windows 10 is great, how lucky we are it exists and to get over windows 7/8 and accept an unathorised upgrade because WINDOWS 10 IS GR8 M8.

ItIsOkBro

This sure bodes well for them to use such a method to force an OS upgrade like that to an OS where you can't disable the method they used to force an OS upgrade like that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
gaffers actually supporting and condoning this under the guise of free shit

SMH

Microsoft have already ended support for Windows 7.

I'm sure people have valid reasons and Microsoft's tactics are definitely questionable but the end result is people actually upgrade and we're not left with another Windows XP. I'll say this, the best thing about modern browsers is they auto update and nobody complains about that any more.

neshcom

Banned
This sure bodes well for them to use such a method to force an OS upgrade like that to an OS where you can't disable the method they used to force an OS upgrade like that.
This is the scariest part of all this to me. How does Microsoft expect professionals to use an OS that auto-updates willy-nilly? My production computer won't upgrade until I'm ready, but if upgrade means losing that choice, I'm out.

Mithos

I did upgrade, same week it came out, I experienced the videodriver installation issues, I still experience that Win 10 changes what standard software is supposed to be used with certain files even though I manually set them again and again.

And finally I have only basic control over my soundcard, since there is no win10 support for its driver/software suite.

Not much trouble for me, but enough to be cautious before allowing a LAPTOP to get the upgrade, my computer was a desktop.

Ripenen

I use my laptop a lot for retro gaming. I've been closing the upgrade pop up for a long time and am thinking of just getting it over with. Does Windows 10 break compatibility with a lot of applications?

So Android updates my OS like this, why is it a problem when its in regards to a computer?

and putting up a piece of paper saying something in clear writing is not tricking people

if I put up a notice like "this door will become a window on june 1st"

tearing down the notice isnt going to stop that from happening and no one has the right to complain.

I had the option to cancel, and it even said I had 31 days to try and could revert

what about the arrow at the right?

xkramz

I don't see the problem here...

The pop up states it's a scheduled event which will " download win 10" it's not telling you to upgrade. It's telling you about the scheduled event. So by pressing ok or the X , you acknowledge the scheduled event.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
This is the scariest part of all this to me. How does Microsoft expect professionals to use an OS that auto-updates willy-nilly? My production computer won't upgrade until I'm ready, but if upgrade means losing that choice, I'm out.

the vast majority of professionals work in a corporate environment, where the admins should have this locked down preventing upgrades.

As for non corporate professionals, i suppose they need to learn to read instead of just clicking willy nilly anywhere on the box?

I had the option to cancel, and it even said I had 31 days to try and could revert

what about the arrow at the right?
Arrow on the right is a slide that shows you like an ad the reasons why you want Windows 10 (same as the 5 circle buttons at the bottom, like tabs to navigate through)

Nuu

Banned
I really wish that Linux had as good of game support that Windows does. Otherwise I'd abandoned Windows for good.

People saying that 10 is a way better OS, I bought a laptop recently with 10, and the wifi driver just straight up didn't work. I have to use an external dongle.

I don't want security upgrades if the hardware loses functionality...

Edit: and on my tablet, The SD card reader doesn't read unless you eject and reinsert the card. (Have to remove the cover which is really annoying)

BiggNife

Yeah, both my brother and my dad ended up accidentally upgrading to win10 when they had no desire to.

I think Win10 is fine, honestly, but I also think that trying to force people to upgrade by tricking them is some sketchy ass shit that shouldn't be allowed.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
My dad called me and wondered why I changed his desktop and icons. Turns out Win 10 was installed overnight.

Berordn

As someone who was originally in favor of the free upgrade and initially supported the way they were pushing it out, it's downright amazing how much of a nightmare it's turned into. For my personal use computers it's absolutely fine, but for everything else... eesh.

the vast majority of professionals work in a corporate environment, where the admins should have this locked down preventing upgrades.

As for non corporate professionals, i suppose they need to learn to read instead of just clicking willy nilly anywhere on the box?

For anyone in an AD environment it's an easy policy push to disable it... assuming they ponied up for up to date servers (I.E. despite still being in long term support, Server 2008 and Server 2012 didn't receive the update which added the GPO that disables Windows 10 - still possible to push something out preventing it but not as easy). But for smaller businesses there's no centralized way to disable it, and that's pretty garbage.

A bunch of my clients use absolutely archaic apps that couldn't run on Win 8, let alone 10 (as we've recently been discovering with the forced updates some of them are getting).

The X doesn't mean cancel.

Arkeband

Banned
People saying that 10 is a way better OS, I bought a laptop recently with 10, and the wifi driver just straight up didn't work. I have to use an external dongle.

I don't want security upgrades if the hardware loses functionality...

Edit: and on my tablet, The SD card reader doesn't read unless you eject and reinsert the card. (Have to remove the cover which is really annoying)

Here's a real question for you:

Do you actually believe that W10 is the reason the driver doesn't work, or is it AT ALL possible that the hardware is faulty?

If a laptop is being sold at retail with W10 installed, all of those drivers are certified.

I don't see the problem here...

The pop up states it's a scheduled event which will " download win 10" it's not telling you to upgrade. It's telling you about the scheduled event. So by pressing ok or the X , you acknowledge the scheduled event.

I know, there's some selective understanding of how Windows even works going on by people who believe that closing a pop-up with a "red X" would somehow cancel an upgrade that the pop-up is telling you in no uncertain terms is already scheduled to auto-install. The pop-up is not the upgrade process, people! The thread title is nonsense.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
After troubleshooting my Windows 7 which just wouldn't begin downloading Win 10 for most of the last month, I have FINALLY been able to download and install Win 10 today.

And I immediately regretted it. It won't recognize the actual native resolution of my primary monitor, no matter what I try - it displays in 2560x1080, while it should be 2560x1440. I checked, and the highest offered resolution is 2560x1080. I have the latest AMD drivers installed, and the AMD CC panel also doesn't let me select anything above 2560x1080. Acer doesn't offer monitor drivers for Windows 10 yet. Good times.

Somnid

Updates are the digital equivalent of vaccinations, it's perfectly fine to reason that people have a right to what gets put in their body and that they may infact have a complication to a vaccination but we generally do not have an issue with mandatory vaccination because there is a greater good at stake. It's a little harder to make the computer case mainly because of the difficulty of explaining it. People know what it's like to get sick but few really do have the sense of what it feels like to be compromised because even if it happens you're unlikely to know it. Nor do they have a sense of how much better everything could be if developers were allowed to leverage technology at a quicker pace. Rather the immediate instinct is that it costs time and money and may have side-effects but that's time and money you need to spend anyway, we call it technical debt. If an upgrade severely hampers your business that is an immediate vulnerability that needs to be fixed. It's not the upgrade's fault, it's yours. The same transfers to consumer level incompatibility, consumers should welcome updates and absolutely expect that the software manufacturer didn't abandon them and isn't stalling on upgrades to new OS versions. These upgrades have months of beta, more than enough time for any company to fix their issues. What is actually happening is that consumer outrage is used to mask business tactics to raise the bottom line but if we were able to filter those companies out then perhaps the ones that survive would also be more resilient.

After troubleshooting my Windows 7 which just wouldn't begin downloading Win 10 for most of the last month, I have FINALLY been able to download and install Win 10 today.

And I immediately regretted it. It won't recognize the actual native resolution of my primary monitor, no matter what I try - it displays in 2560x1080, while it should be 2560x1440. I checked, and the highest offered resolution is 2560x1080. I have the latest AMD drivers installed, and the AMD CC panel also doesn't let me select anything above 2560x1080. Acer doesn't offer monitor drivers for Windows 10 yet. Good times.

Try this:

Go to display settings>advanced display settings>display adapter properties.

Then click on “List all modes” on the bottom. If you see your native resolution in that list, select it and click on ok to set it.

PreFire

Upgrade for free? Why not?

I remember being sticking by WinXP for so long, until games just stopped supporting it.
Lol before that I was stuck on Win98SE.. Couldn't stand ME or any of the "2000" versions.

Pretty sleazy way to get people to forcefully upgrade though.. Everyone knows that when you click X, you're saying no lol

I guess that's why that GAF user woke up to a new OS (he made a thread about it and everyone was congratulating him lol)

BasicMath

The botnet grows.

But seriously.
Unless they make some massive changes for Windows 11, I'm switching to some GNU/Linux distro from 7. I didn't like it when Ubuntu pulled similar crap and I trust Microsoft even less than Canonical.

And then there's the driver issues. My PC is far away from standard and I just don't want to deal with this bullshit.

yeah that just means they'll provide security updates until then but the OS is now unsupported for all intents and purposes.
And that's perfectly fine for a lot of people. Some of us don't care about the latest Windows Media Player. Or how the new Internet Explorer is miles ahead of Opera. Or the fact that DX12 is the future but I hope you enjoy your 10% fps loss. We'll be fine.

Darg

Neo Member
The X doesn't mean cancel.

Sure. Usually it means to exit completely unless it's a popup of sorts which means to exit that popup but not the entire program so to speak, however a popup can also cancel that action (the entire program) by clicking on the X. Problem is They knew what that "X" meant to users especially in this scenario.

They could have easily done the "X" to exit or cancel any scheduling as that is what most users perceive it to mean, especially on an upgrade/update. It's also an exploit of what they perceive. I mean lets be real for a second right?, they knew this.

The botnet grows.

But seriously.
Unless they make some massive changes for Windows 11, I'm switching to some GNU/Linux distro from 7. I didn't like it when Ubuntu pulled similar crap and I trust Microsoft even less than Canonical.

And then there's the driver issues. My PC is far away from standard and I just don't want to deal with this bullshit.

And that's perfectly fine for a lot of people. Some of us don't care about the latest Windows Media Player. Or how the new Internet Explorer is miles ahead of Opera. Or the fact that DX12 is the future but I hope you enjoy your 10% fps loss. We'll be fine.

You also don’t care about all of these (Compared to 7)?

1) Better recovery. Bush button reset and restore. Separate recovery partition no longer required.
2) Better security. Windows Hello, support for new security and biometric standards. Faster patching of issues due to the new servicing model.
3) UWP applications.
4) Better search. Cortana, items that are found sorted by category.
5) Better multi monitor support. Ability to have taskbar on both monitors, have programs show on active monitor only, etc.
6) Virtual desktops.
7) True touch screen support and touch mode.
8) Better app switching, task view.
9) Out of box full AV and malware scanning. No need to for 3rd part AV.
10) Action center.
11) Storage spaces (Virtual RAID).
12) Better file explorer navigation, for example opening up the folder you are currently in within CMD prompt or PowerShell.
13) Integrated file backup (File history) and soon to be image backup to OneDrive.
14) Better SSD performance and generally faster boot times due to better UEFI firmware support on newer hardware.
15) Support for new “tablet” like sleep. Instantly wakes up.
16) Support for using a Microsoft account for syncing settings, themes and files across multiple devices.
17) Better memory management using memory compression.
18) Smaller footprint. New compressed installation (Formally known as Wimboot in 8) takes up less space.
19) Quick admin menu (Right click on the start button).
20) Better, more reliable and informative task manager.
21) More efficient Windows Update mechanism. For example, the ability to schedule “active hours” so Windows 10 doesn’t automatically update while you are active on your system.

These are just what I know from the top of my head and I am sure there are many more, but I switch back and forth between Win 7 and 10 daily and I don’t understand how people can prefer to stick with Win 7. Thurrot discussed this recently when he did a fresh install of Win 7, his article sums up exactly how I feel.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/67319/understanding-windows-7-age-windows-10

I've been happy with my upgrade, however my wife and mother in law can't access wireless at all, so they've both remained on 7.

I don't get it. The wireless part, that is.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
My mom got hit with the windows 10 upgrade trick while I just happened to be at her house. She didnt want to upgrade and she was like "tell it to stop!"

It just randomly restarted while she was using the computer and started to upgrade lol

She probably would have turned off the computer while it was upgrading and then the whole computer would have been caput

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom