• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will ‘show the world what’s next’ at May 23rd event in Shanghai

FYI, MS has stated on multiple occasions that Windows 10 is their final OS. All they'll do from here is simply iterate upon it since the framework underneath is built for it. Also Windows 10 is so much better than Windows 7.

Lastly, the 7 kernal is actually framed from the XP/2003 kernal and has security flaws at its core, so 7 is a dead OS in time.

I...I'd never read this anywhere before. W10 doesn't work for me. Has memory leak, randomly locks up, sometimes fails to boot up and just hovers on the Windows logo. They're really never making another? Because I might genuinely have to look at swapping OS sometime if this is what I'm going to have to be stuck with forever now.

I hope they're not going to push that stupid Windows 10 S garbage on a Surface Pro as well.

I still don't understand that decision with the Surface Laptop... what a way to smear crap over the Surface brand for no reason at all.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I...I'd never read this anywhere before. W10 doesn't work for me. Has memory leak, randomly locks up, sometimes fails to boot up and just hovers on the Windows logo. They're really never making another? Because I might genuinely have to look at swapping OS sometime if this is what I'm going to have to be stuck with forever now.

Sheesh. That's rough. I haven't had any problems, and it's the smoothest Win version yet for me. I assume you've done a complete reinstall etc?

I haven't personally seen comments saying Win10 is their last OS, but the idea would not be that they just stop here, but that instead of launching new versions that are clean breaks from older ones, they incrementally replace and update Windows 10. In 10 years time, even if it's still "Windows 10" it might be a ship of theseus type scenario where it has been entirely replaced by new code, one piece at a time.

nubbe

Sounds more like you have some hardware issue

Walshicus

This sounds like a hardware issue. I had something similar and it ended up being one stick of dodgy RAM.

gamz

Yeah, I've been using 10 since the first preview and haven't had these issue. Sounds terrible.

As other have said check your hardware.

Thanks guys, guess I'll have to try my RAM or something. It just stuck out to me since the build ran fine on W7 for weeks but as soon as I swapped over to W10 it started playing up. I did try a clean install, but for some reason W10 did it in a way that didn't wipe my drives so I wasn't exactly convinced it was 100% a clean install. I figured it would have been fixed eventually and stupidly wiped my old build off :/

Arren

So far Windows 10 has actually been a smooth ride, rather unexpectedly.
I had so many doubts and suspicions over its actual improvements and general stability, but it turned out to be a highly customizable (much more than what was openly possible in Windows 7), good-looking, extremely fast and efficient OS... once you remove all the telemetry, unneeded services, completely unnecessary background apps and overall bloat, that is.

When it says "the queitest" the picture of the fan disappears and is replaced by LTE. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be the fan just being covered up by another layer, or implying it's been removed, or implying that there are versions with LTE and no fan, but that the high end ones don't.

I'm confused but we'll know more soon I guess.

He's saying something about how you can plug in USB C but in connection to the surface dock, which confuses the fuck out of me because he doesn't seem to be saying that there's a new dock, or that the laptop itself has a USB c port.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
He's saying something about how you can plug in USB C but in connection to the surface dock, which confuses the fuck out of me because he doesn't seem to be saying that there's a new dock, or that the laptop itself has a USB c port.

hehhh

gamz

I hope MS has this conference in their site today. I'm rushing to get to work to see the damn advert. Lol

The bigger battery is almost reason enough for me to replace my SP4. It's so awful.

e: But yeah, it's a nice refresh. Not exactly a new generation, but a good upgrade over the last one. I'll have to stay strong and save for that Surface Book 2 instead, though.

13.5 hour battery according to Panos, which should translate into at 6-7 outside of Panos fantasy land.

Which is better than the 3-5 hours I get on my SP4. And honestly, I don't care what exactly they have to do to the OS and hardware, but give me some goddamn iPad battery life.

Hammer24

Banned
The bigger battery is almost reason enough for me to replace my SP4. It's so awful.

e: But yeah, it's a nice refresh. Not exactly a new generation, but a good upgrade over the last one. I'll have to stay strong and save for that Surface Book 2 instead, though.

SB2 - when?

Doffen

ybKF4EW.gif

Sounds good so far. Will the new pen benefit Surface Book?

Top Bottom