• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

I care less about "potentially" and more about "likely". Is it likely that the NSA would take any interest in me if they saw me through the Kinect camera? Nope. I don't think they would use the camera anyway because all they'd see is people's living rooms and bedrooms.

They'd have to get to the point of actually having a reason of wasting human resources to view through the peripheral. The data may be recorded (couldn't that be seen somehow through data exchange over the internet connection?), but that would mean that every Xbox One Kinect would be doing that, as individual targeting over Jo'shmo and Jane Doe aren't worth portioning out separate surveillance suites.

It's a no brainer though that all hard data, including internet history, Bing searches, and Skype logs will be likely forwarded easily upon request.

tafer

I love how they basically admit it's possible to spy through kinect

Dummies

Yep, it's the best we can get from their new snafu.

It's incredible, but at this point, they have done the worse console revelation on history and I fear for anyone trying to beat them.

Bsigg12

I have to strongly disagree with you here. Perhaps to you it is not a big deal but to claim that's its not something most people should be worried about is your opinion. I'd argue most people that are cognizant of what the technology is capable of DO care. We live in a country founded on freedom. These freedoms that are outlined in the Constitution are being blatantly violated by corporations such as Microsoft, Google, and Apple.

It's definitely something most people should be very concerned about.

We were founded on a constitution that can't be applied to the way the world is today. Social media, technology, and the internet has completely changed the way everything is looked at. The NSA leak has caused a mass paranoia that the government is everywhere at all times which it is not. If it were, the Boston Marathon tragedy would not have occurred.

Yeah... they'll "aggressively challenge" any attempt, but they'll comply with the (terrible) law in the end. We know from the most recent Snowden leaked info that they eagerly help the government spy, going so far as to build backdoors into their products. (Which will be just awesome for general computer security, I'm sure.)

Read the public statements made by any of these companies like a lawyer would. You'll notice they word their statements carefully so they appear to be denying compliant behavior, but they never actually go so far as to say they'll refuse to give the NSA access to the data. For instance, sometimes they say they don't give "direct" access, but that's meaningless since the NSA is, in many cases, getting data "upstream" from company servers.

We were founded on a constitution that can't be applied to the way the world is today. Social media, technology, and the internet has completely changed the way everything is looked at. The NSA leak has caused a mass paranoia that the government is everywhere at all times which it is not. If it were, the Boston Marathon tragedy would not have occurred.

Exactly. And what will happen now? They'll need more power to protect us from similar bombing attacks in the future! I've already heard officials saying they need more power to be able to prevent crimes before they happen. Perhaps someday we'll reach that perfect point where we live in a completely risk-free society! Philip K. Dick is spinning in his grave.

We know even totalitarian regimes can't stop terrorist attacks. So at what point do we stop buying into this comforting lie that by trading freedom and privacy we'll become safer? And what good is being safe from outside threats when we're becoming less safe from potential future internal threats?

And the government doesn't have to be everywhere at once. The data is all stored so they can read it later by getting subpoenas from FISA courts under existing "wiretap" laws. And that's assuming everyone involved is following the law anyway. The NSA has already broken the law by blatantly lying to Congress about their behavior. They've proven they can't be trusted.

Biker19

Banned
There is a 20 billion dollar class action law suit against these 9 companies to stop this from happening again. http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram...ght-against-complicit-companies-and-officials

Also I wish them good luck. Yet with the news that even Supreme Court Judges are getting bribed by the Government (http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread956307/pg1) can we really count on this lawsuit to do any good?

This just proves that the Government & the Supreme Court are being ran by absolute morons.

This just proves that the Government & the Supreme Court are being ran by absolute morons.

While I agree the U.S. government is, broadly speaking, run by idiots, I wouldn't trust anything from abovetopsecret.com without independent verification. That site is all about impossible conspiracies and secret alien visitations and such nonsense.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
While I agree the U.S. government is, broadly speaking, run by idiots, I wouldn't trust anything from abovetopsecret.com without independent verification. That site is all about impossible conspiracies and secret alien visitations and such nonsense.

all of which are now validated now that one of the hugest, and longest prevalent conspiracies has come to be true.

The NSA leak has caused a mass paranoia that the government is everywhere at all times which it is not. If it were, the Boston Marathon tragedy would not have occurred.
Yeah, they only locked down an entire city for a few days to catch them. I wonder how easy it was for people to get approval for wide-scale surveillance measures during that time of crisis.

The worry is overreach.
The worry is casting too wide a net when it comes to surveillance.
The worry is bad apples and abuse of power and not even knowing your privacy in violated, much less having any avenue for redress.

There's a reason our system is based upon the principles of checks and balances, and it doesn't derive from trust for institutions, whether public or private.

And whether Microsoft is against any possible NSA taps or not doesn't really matter. They've hitched their wagons on this super camera becoming ubiquitous in the modern living room, starting with gaming and moving into more mainstream entertainment of all kinds.

And their past actions are catching up with them. Sucks to be them because I don't think they have a good way to audible their next moves beyond what they've already done.

Yeah, the only locked down an entire city for a few days to catch them. I wonder how easy it was for people to get approval for wide-scale surveillance measures during that time.

The worry is overreach.
The worry is casting too wide a net when it comes to surveillance.
The worry is bad apples and abuse of power and not even knowing your privacy in violated, much less having any avenue for redress.

There's a reason our system is based upon the principles of checks and balances, and it doesn't derive from trust for institutions, whether public or private.

And whether Microsoft is against any possible NSA taps or not doesn't really matter. They've hitched their wagons on this super camera becoming ubiquitous in the modern living room, starting with gaming and moving into more mainstream entertainment of all kinds.

And their past actions are catching up with them.

Exactly oversight, oversight, oversight

Personally think there should be a civilian oversight committee for programs like this

(well to be honest Prism should be scrapped but not going to happen)

Not politicians but actual civilians to weigh in on the balance of privacy and security cause the government has no idea how much we value privacy

This is getting to the point where I'm wondering if they can really even use most of this data.

Okay, let's spy on hundreds of millions of people; intercept billions of e-mail; spy on millions of conversations; etc. Yes, they can surely store the data, but when you have Terabytes upon Terabytes of information, how much can you realistically sift through?

Automated software that's constantly updated with word combinations, phrases, and codexes gained through prior intelligence that runs through the various data. Some areas of collection are prioritized over others.

Still, as we've seen with the Boston Bombing (not to mention no successful interceptions that have been reported have been accredited to PRISM or the NSA in general from what I recall), it's nowhere near a concrete system. Is the current technology not up to the task? Is it even possible to corner the data the system was intended to do so, given how over the past decade it's been getting clearer and clearer to the average citizen in many nations how easy it is to intercept data in this interdependent world? How does privacy actually factor into our constitutional rights and where does that allow for law and defense to fulfill their purpose efficiently and effectively? Finally, where does that leave companies such as Microsoft that are caught in the crossfire in the grey sector of forwarding technology?

None of these are easy questions, and are the topics that should be focused on rather than trying to paint the situation to the hypothetical extremes and, as the media is doing a good job of doing, making it a point of almost entertainment with the controversy.

Majanew

Banned
LOL

You'll do what the government tells you to, Microsoft.

Just give customers the option to unplug the damn thing. You have til launch to change it. Either I'll take the money off my pre-order and put it towards my PS4, or I'll sell it on eBay to make a nice profit. Plenty of parents will be needing one for Christmas.

mackattk

The law is the law. Not sure if Microsoft will really have much if any choice. Microsoft can "aggressively challenge" it all they want, but if the NSA wants information, the NSA will get it.

DR2K

Banned
Ifthey were so damn aggressive you'd let consumers remove the damn thing and put it in the trash where it belongs.

Exactly oversight, oversight, oversight

Personally think there should be a civilian oversight committee for programs like this

(well to be honest Prism should be scrapped but not going to happen)

Not politicians but actual civilians to weigh in on the balance of privacy and security cause the government has no idea how much we value privacy

The people who posted the TSA scans were civilians. The soldier who brains the kitten that hangs out at the FOB is at a no different level. The teacher who decides to just hand a packet out and leave the students to their own devices is a civilian capable of impacting the future of all of those students by that choice.

People are always the problem, and it doesn't matter whether you're some designated official or employee 001. By the way, how would that committee be formed? How could it be prevented from being another slave to the system as we see with lobbying between the Hill and Wall Street?

PRISM itself isn't an issue of itself, and just targeting it or the larger than life "government" is a bit of a cop out. It's the people and the intentions they may or may not have that is the concern, and of course it's one hell of an issue to tackle in how to mitigate the damage any individual can cause to one or billions.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Yeah sure Microsoft, I believe you.

I won't be buying an Xbone until they sell the console without a Kinect in the box.

Ding-Ding

If this is how MS thinks they can calm peoples fear, then they really are hopelessly lost.

We can already see whats likely to happen. NSA puts in a request, MS accepts, then we will know nothing about it unless there is another whistleblower. At which point MS claim they had to comply because its law.

Trust MS with this... I'd rather trust a vampire giving me a blowjob

Couple of my simple suggestions for ms.

Let people disconnect the kinect if they feel their privacy is being violated.

Developers will know that every console has one so they can still add in whatever their hearts desire. And if people don't want to use the motion or voice commands let it be optional in game.

If they want to collect my data, why not give me some benefits? I am helping them out with advertising so how bout a month of free live or a discounted subscription?

I don't think they should abandoned the kinect as I see it as a great addition with a lot of possibilities. Such as inserting myself in games, motion tracking my taunts/celebrations and upload them to game, no more facial editors(just scan my ugly mug) etc.. Those are the perks I want from the kinect, not the wave my hands to navigate the ui.

If they ever do a sku-less kinect version it would just be a weaker ps4 with halo. I can't see that happening.

FeiRR

Banned
Of course we will never know either way.
Of course we will. X1 will be a nice challenge for hackers to tear down and find out what's it really sending out. Then they'll disable the Kinect and spoof online requirements for "dah clowd" games, probably release custom firmware. If there are any secrets and limitations, there always people who want to get through them.

WolvenOne

So, haven't they just, effectively admitted that they, "COULD," do this, at least in theory?

I would just assume prevent the possibility entirely, rather than trusting Microsoft. Even if I did trust Microsoft to put up a robust legal defense, those secret courts the governments been using, don't seem to give a flip about privacy.

kuroshiki

Of course we will. X1 will be a nice challenge for hackers to tear down and find out what's it really sending out. Then they'll disable the Kinect and spoof online requirements for "dah clowd" games, probably release custom firmware. If there are any secrets and limitations, there always people who want to get through them.

Modern hardware is not something an average programmer can play with. This is not like android where it is completely open. MS probably locked this box down heavily.

That's a pretty big compliment for Microsoft, seeing that they got on board with PRISM pretty quickly!

Exactly why I placed "aggressively challenge" in quotes. Read the rest of my post. Microsoft is trying to deceive the public about their level of collusion with the NSA. It's all public relations bullshit. They're going to give the NSA the data it demands, bottom line. And even if they don't, the NSA will grab that data "upstream" before it even gets to Microsoft from the user. That's the entire point of PRISM.

The people who posted the TSA scans were civilians. The soldier who brains the kitten that hangs out at the FOB is at a no different level. The teacher who decides to just hand a packet out and leave the students to their own devices is a civilian capable of impacting the future of all of those students by that choice.

People are always the problem, and it doesn't matter whether you're some designated official or employee 001. By the way, how would that committee be formed? How could it be prevented from being another slave to the system as we see with lobbying between the Hill and Wall Street?

PRISM itself isn't an issue of itself, and just targeting it or the larger than life "government" is a bit of a cop out. It's the people and the intentions they may or may not have that is the concern, and of course it's one hell of an issue to tackle in how to mitigate the damage any individual can cause to one or billions.

Great post, though I would point out that intentions don't matter at all in a situation like this. Good intentions can and often do lead to horrible abuses of power. Only results matter, and we don't know who is going to be pulling the strings of a massive surveillance state in the future. Nobody does. So all this talk of "trust" is nonsensical.

And even though I know what you meant, I'll also say that PRISM's existence is an issue. (Or at least our reaction, as a country, to its existence, is an issue.) Nobody can be trusted with that level of power, period. Especially when it's all being done in secret. Oversight or no, this level of power will be abused and used in "creative" ways, if it hasn't already.

I think the goverment could use the Kinect as a compliment to monitor prisoners with fetters at home. This additional income would let MS lower the Live fees. People are looking at this in a far to negative way.

Biker19

Banned
When the only way you can defend this is a variation on "Oh Look! Other companies can do it, you have other devices that can do it too" you are losing the argument, badly.

Oh, and the "Quit Picking On MS" is pathetic at this point too. This is a very legit concern.

Also, the phone argument is moot (well, at least for Android), aside from not having a preferred view all the time like the Kinect, Android has open source options for most phone models. Would be damn obvious if there is a backdoor in the android code, can't say the same for walled gardens like IOS and X180. Also for reference, google apps are not open source, but they do run on an open source platform.

Definitely agree. These Microsoft fanboys need to get over themselves, face the truth & accept reality, & stop trying to pass the blame on something else.

I have nothing to hide. If you also have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

No, I'm 32. I used to be in the military where you have no privacy whatsoever. It wasn't a big deal. I don't have an irrational fear of people spying on me. If I did, I wouldn't be online and I wouldn't have a cell phone. There are probably going to be 30+ million people using the Xbox One at some point. The government couldn't watch everyone 24/7 if they wanted to. I'd be more worried about Sony's data security than the Kinect spying on me.

LOL! Oh, wow, these posts has me cracking up hard.

Alx

What is the difference between Kinect and Skype Microsoft?

Skype is a communication software : it's meant to send video, voice and text to external network.
Kinect is a control interface, there's no reason any image or sound of yourself is leaving your console (unless you're using it for Skype, of course).

kitch9

Banned
Heres an idea MS, I know its out there and fucking revolutionary but it might just work:

Let us unplug the fucking camera, mic and body sensors so we don't feel uncomfortable sat in front of it.

Instead of pretending to be some freedom fighter MS should embrace the strengths of Kinect and promote its safety apects. Such as: Kinect can through the heart rate monitoring detect if an old person gets a heart attack while playing "Just dance" or while having sex, then call 911 and via Skype provide a live feed of the dying person to a doctor, while the ambulance is getting there. Everything accompanied with some tailored ads.

Instead of pretending to be some freedom fighter MS should embrace the strengths of Kinect and promote its safety apects. Such as: Kinect can through the heart rate monitoring detect if an old person gets a heart attack while playing "Just dance" or while having sex, then call 911 and via Skype provide a live feed of the dying person to a doctor, while the ambulance is getting there. Everything accompanied with some tailored ads.

A lifealert ad perhaps?

Top Bottom