• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Originally Posted by nacimento

NSA:" We want to use Kinect for enhanced observation."

Microsoft:"For the record, we don't want you to do that. Now go, here is all you need."

Bravo! Can't be quoted enough.

PlayStation fanboys and Nintendo fanboys can label whoever they want as the worst fanboys, but there will never be a worse fanboy than the fanboy who is going to defense mode a company admitting a product can spy on you, then having a recorded history of allowing the government to spy on you, and then trying to play it off like it's no big.

Trust me i know xbox fan boys should be ashamed of themselves its a sad for microsoft they would do things so deceving and still have fans some people need to get thier heads checked yes i had a 360 but done turned that in months ago microsoft needs to get fixed big time

RMI

Banned
I will aggressively challenge this by not buying an Xbone as long as kinect is mandatory.

Your move MS.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I will aggressively challenge this by not buying an Xbone as long as kinect is mandatory.

Your move MS.

applause.gif

freddy

Banned
Playstatjon fanboys will say xbox is the worst xbox fanboys will say playstation is the worst and pure nintendo fanboys will sit back and just watch as the others bicker at eachother

There might be a certain element that is doing this for the reasons you state above but I tend to think it's pretty obvious most are just appalled that Microsoft are actively in bed with the NSA and seemingly have no qualms handing over information or access to servers. I think a few younger fans of Microsoft are mistaking the genuine concern for something it is not.

MormaPope

Banned
I WANT the Kinect to be mandatory and plugged in at all times. That's what will get developers to truly utilize it in the future. Plus, the console is simply better for having it. In a years time, half of the people complaining about the Kinect always being plugged in will be loving what you can do with it.

Everything you do online is stored in a data center somewhere. You might be surprised how much I could learn about you just with Google Analytics.

Microsoft was one of many companies that complied with the NSA requests. So did Google, Apple, Facebook, Yahoo!, and AOL. If you're online, assume everything you do and say is public.

I'm not afraid of what they're doing behind the scenes. I don't believe the NSA has any malicious intent.

I love the smell of Astro Turf at 10 PM.

Dark Rider

I WANT the Kinect to be mandatory and plugged in at all times. That's what will get developers to truly utilize it in the future.

Kinect CAN be still included in every box so the developers KNOW that every single user of the xbone has one. However, Kinect does NOT need to be plugged in.

There might be a certain element that is doing this for the reasons you state above but I tend to think it's pretty obvious most are just appalled that Microsoft are actively in bed with the NSA and seemingly have no qualms handing over information or access to servers. I think a few younger fans of Microsoft are mistaking the genuine concern for something it is not.

All i know is the always on kinect even if they wherent in bed with the nsa would be a red flag for any gamer soon as that came out my mind was made up on not buying the xbox one btw such a terrible name

Amir0x

Banned
Trust me i know xbox fan boys should be ashamed of themselves its a sad for microsoft they would do things so deceving and still have fans some people need to get thier heads checked yes i had a 360 but done turned that in months ago microsoft needs to get fixed big time

yeah it's messed up...

...but please use periods! :p

It is a bigger issue, you're right about that. But this is also a video game forum and MS is a company creating a video game console that requires a camera. That's why it's a talking point over cell phones and web cams. We're talking about a gaming platform, a centralized device that the government could access. They aren't the only people with this set up, but as far as gaming goes, they're one of the biggest players, and I think that warrants discussion if people want to discuss it. This is an issue beyond MS, and I think it goes far beyond discussions of console preference, but as far as these forums go, MS is the most relevant player.
I agree. The problem (for me) is that the discussion is rarely grounded in reality. You have people who are declaring that they'll never buy MS' console because of the NSA antics, yet the same people can be found in any amount of other threads declaring themselves out for the nth time over something else. They're not adding anything, they're complaining because it suits them. On the other hand you have the ardent defenders who will say anything to defend a company they love.

The point is that between all that rubbish, any worthwhile discussion gets lost.

I appreciate that MS being who they are draw the attention here because it's a gaming forum. But that doesn't change the fact that the Xbox One with always on Kinect isn't an isolated situation. So it baffles me when people will happily wave their hand at Apple and Google allegations, but milk the MS hate for all that it's worth. You simply can't be selective about which devices spying bother you. Either you dislike it, or you don't.

So seeing a bunch of people brush of comments about phones, because you can just turn this and that off -- as if it's that simple for most people, or as if most would even do it -- to then just jump straight down the throat of Kinect. That comes off to me as being rather selective about where one directs their anger.

Just my thoughts, nothing else.

Deitus

Everything you do online is stored in a data center somewhere. You might be surprised how much I could learn about you just with Google Analytics.

Microsoft was one of many companies that complied with the NSA requests. So did Google, Apple, Facebook, Yahoo!, and AOL. If you're online, assume everything you do and say is public.

I'm not afraid of what they're doing behind the scenes. I don't believe the NSA has any malicious intent.

Not sure why you assume everyone opposed to PRISM and other similar operations are ONLY upset at Microsoft. We are talking about Microsoft because this thread is about Microsoft.

I'm well aware that everything I do online can be monitored. That's why I'm cautious about what I say and do online, and how much information I put up about myself there. That's also why I'm not in a rush to purchase a device that is constantly watching my living room and connected to the internet. And no, I don't own a webcam, and if I did you can bet it would be powered off and disconnected when not in use.

Edit: As for malicious intent, I bet that the people who instituted these policies probably had good intentions (you know what they say about good intentions don't you). But can we be certain that every single person that has access to this data would never do anything malicious? Can we know now about the intentions of the NSA 2 or 3 administrations from now when all of this is even more widespread and accepted? The problem isn't just what they are doing with the data now, but what potential harm can be done over long term erosion of our freedoms.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's a free country. If you are aware that you may or may not get spied on, and want to purchase a product which can assist in that, you should. You may not get spied on. Who knows. Maybe just throw a towel over the damn thing. Your choice.

You joined this forum last month, sweeping generalizations and straight up asinine arguments are doing you no favors whatsoever. You need better assertions, based on actual evidence and merit. Instead of roaming in threads where Microsoft fucks something up and then label people Sony fanboys for saying criticism.

I've been lurking longer than that. This website is heavily Sony-biased. MS didn't fuck anything up. NeoGAF has been overly critical of the Xbox One ever since the reveal.

Oersted

I WANT the Kinect to be mandatory and plugged in at all times. That's what will get developers to truly utilize it in the future. Plus, the console is simply better for having it. In a years time, half of the people complaining about the Kinect always being plugged in will be loving what you can do with it.

There is this old saying, the way to hell is paved with good intentions.

It's a free country. If you are aware that you may or may not get spied on, and want to purchase a product which can assist in that, you should. You may not get spied on. Who knows. Maybe just throw a towel over the damn thing. Your choice.

Something a game console or home computer or even a work computer should never be made into a spy tool for others gain

Amir0x

Banned
I've been lurking longer than that. This website is heavily Sony-biased. MS didn't fuck anything up. NeoGAF has been overly critical of the Xbox One ever since the reveal.

hahaha what in the actual fuck

"MS didn't fuck anything up." God, where do you people come from?

I mean, lord knows I like me a bit of MS. And lord knows many on NeoGAF like to go over the top on certain issues. But MS did, let's be honest, fuck a thing or two up.

BWJinxing

Have you heard of programs like COINTELPRO? In this day and age, The nsa has its own "Azure" platform. You dont need man power, VOIP, skype, email, data that passes though backbones. The cloud does all the aynalist for them, and then they can retrain data just because, Yottabyte storage. While you may not flat out do anything illegal, its the little details that can add up, make a record for later, showing potential you may execute harm, deflect or etc.

But to stay on topic, I don't want another cell phone device. If you include connect in the box, you can lie to dev and say 2 million consoles, 2 million kinect devices*. The Dev would still know the install base is huge, but their may be some NOT using it, but that does not mean you cant convince them to plug it in for that game session. Its still a win and a best compromise of both worlds.

Fuck people, nothing MS can do is right to you guys.

if this same situation was placed on Sony everyone would be all flowers and smiles, quick to believe them.

MS could pop up with the cure for cancer, and the people in this thread would believe it's some sort of strain of Ebola.

Hoooleeee-FUCK

This is honestly Dreamcast-Era GAF again.

MormaPope

Banned

The Xbox One was too good for NeoGaf, he eventually started to kick and scream, only hating Microsoft and never speaking ill of others. NeoGaf isn't a good person, NeoGaf is ill minded and afraid of letting the world in and watch them from a peripheral camera for the Xbox One.

Kinect CAN be still included in every box so the developers KNOW that every single user of the xbone has one. However, Kinect does NOT need to be plugged in.

If you could disconnect the Kinect, developers couldn't know how many users would have one because if you could disconnect it, some people would get rid of it.

You clearly can't stop the tool from being made, but you can choose not to use it.

Well what im trying to say is when that device is being made should not be held from the public that hey u might be spied on but of course if that happen then they wouldnt sell anything but that shouldnt give them the right to make ur devices spy tools because hey they feel like it or whatever the reason they do something like that and when the truth comes out try and play it off as not being true

Amir0x

Banned
Marketing and PR firms, mostly.

The Xbox One was too good for NeoGaf, he eventually started to kick and scream, only hating Microsoft and never speaking ill of others. NeoGaf isn't a good person, NeoGaf is ill minded and afraid of letting the world in and watch them from a peripheral camera for the Xbox One.

Hoooleeee-FUCK

This is honestly Dreamcast-Era GAF again.

Nevermind guys, I just fond Josh S's twitter and it's basically him masturbating furiously all over Major Nelson and Microsoft. He has a post begging Microsoft to keep Kinect always connected.

We just have a genuine true believer here. A delusional, frothing-at-the-mouth fanboy who is so blinded by his fervor for a company that he refuses to see all the awful shit they've done. There's no convincing someone like that, I think.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well what im trying to say is when that device is being made should not be held from the public that hey u might be spied on but of course if that happen then they wouldnt sell anything but that shouldnt give them the right to make ur devices spy tools because hey they feel like it or whatever the reason they do something like that and when the truth comes out try and play it off as not being true

Punctuation marks are useful. I know what you're saying, but I'm really not getting too deep into this. It's a bit nightmarish in here at the moment.

I come from reality, where MS' policies have been blown way out of proportion hardcore gamers and the gaming media.

The fact that MS backtracked on their policies doesn't mean they did anything wrong. They're just trying to appeal to more gamers.

bonercop

I truly don't understand where this faith people have in these alphabet-soup agencies comes from. If you spent a little time looking through the track record of agencies like this, you'll find fuck-up after fuck-up after fuck-up.

Well, either that, or they're wielded as a tool against domestic political dissent.

I come from reality, where MS' policies have been blown way out of proportion hardcore gamers and the gaming media.

The fact that MS backtracked on their policies doesn't mean they did anything wrong. They're just trying to appeal to more gamers.

Please be an Internet character. Please.

Amir0x

Banned

You mean you come from planet Xbox where Microsoft didn't lie, mislead and outright bullshit about literally every single feature they wanted for Xbox One?

Hey, what do you know, I've bookmarked a post outlining many of their fuck-ups pre-DRM!

Even if you really wanted to give up all your physical property rights as consumer for the promise of NO DISC SWAPPING - the trade off being no more renting, forced through a proprietary used game system that essentially guarantees more expensive pricing, the internet always being required just to play any games because Microsoft automatically assumes you're a fucking pathetic pirate - then that's on you. You're in the extreme minority. But if you're going to pretend like they even BEGAN to articulate even the most basic benefits of their supposed strategy that you love so much, you're more delusional than even your twitter account would imply.

FINALBOSS

Banned
You mean you come from planet Xbox where Microsoft didn't lie, mislead and outright bullshit about literally every single feature they wanted for Xbox One?

Hey, what do you know, I've bookmarked a post outlining many of their fuck-ups pre-DRM!

Even if you really wanted to give up all your physical property rights as consumer for the promise of NO DISC SWAPPING - the trade off being no more renting, forced through a proprietary used game system that essentially guarantees more expensive pricing, the internet always being required just to play any games because Microsoft automatically assumes you're a fucking pathetic pirate - then that's on you. You're in the extreme minority. But if you're going to pretend like they even BEGAN to articulate even the most basic benefits of their supposed strategy that you love so much, you're more delusional than even your twitter account would imply.

I gotta see this twitter account please.

The hell is wrong with people? Smartphones, laptops, mics and headsets all have these very same functions and your all worried about 'spying' now, 10 years later?

This is a poor argument on many fronts. For example, generic laptops, mics, and headsets aren't necessarily connected to the internet at any point in their existence, and in the case of laptops it is trivial to disable the webcam at any time. Moreover, the software can be examined and modified to suit a user's privacy concerns. Even when it comes to email and internet services, those of us who are savvy and concerned about these matters have options to safeguard the privacy of our communications.

Smartphones are another matter entirely. There are many people who have valid privacy concerns over the cameras and microphones in smartphones, but they're such an improvement over regular phones that many people consider the trade-off to be worth it and there aren't really mainstream devices on the market that exist without those cameras. The market has spoken loudly and clearly that cameras on these devices are a priority for consumers, so companies have moved in that direction. After all, privacy concerns are not the only concerns when considering a product or service, but they are still important, and with the recent NSA revelations privacy is becoming of increasing concern to the public.

However, even if your point were well-founded, the argument that everyone in this thread is a hypocrite for being concerned about this product, and not that one is still a bad one. Just because some of us are willing to make some concessions when it comes to private corporate/governmental access to our information, doesn't mean those same people will or should be okay with yet another avenue of information gathering, yet more data that can be harvested by whoever it is that is harvesting. There's a line for everyone. In the end, it's the market that will decide whether this is acceptable or not. (God help us if Google Glass blows up.)

Secondly, they talk about "absent a new law". Well, guess what FISA is doing? Basically creating new laws. It's totally conceivable that the NSA may interpret a law in such a way that would allow this, and FISA would rubber stamp this.

By the way, as far as Microsoft aggressively challenging this, they can't. Only the government gets to testify and present a case to the FISA court. All Microsoft would get is the court order to turn over what they have.

The truth is that Microsoft's intent doesn't even really matter. If the hardware is capable of recording and transmitting data to Microsoft, and the government is capable of compelling Microsoft to release this data, the simple fact is that this is a device that is introducing yet another avenue of surveillance for the government to pursue.

The concerns aren't just about what might be done today or tomorrow. What'll happen 10 years from now, 20 years from now as hardware becomes more powerful and able to collect, transmit and process even more data? What about the next time the USA is attacked and public sentiment shifts back towards supporting increasing government access to this information? The whole idea of checks and balances and limiting the power of government is based on the fact that the powers granted to an official will eventually be abused by the first person unscrupulous enough to do so. This same principle applies here. We as a society have to think about these matters more cynically than we have in the past, especially given how our technological capacity continues to grow.

I think this whole fear of the government spying on you is paranoia. If the government wants to watch me sit in front of the television in my underwear eating junk food, they're welcome to watch.

This is a pretty naive way of looking at it. Maybe you aren't doing anything "wrong", and you'll be unaffected. On the grander scale, it's still something that's potentially exploitable.

I feel sorry for people who live their lives in fear. If you guys care so much about your privacy, throw away your computers and cell phones and go live off the grid in the woods somewhere.

So anyone who has any concerns about privacy whatsoever should just remove themselves from modern society? That's foolish. I think we should increase awareness of these issues and encourage development and adoption of alternative technology that doesn't allow for the potential for government or corporate surveillance. In this case, that could be shunning the Xbox One in favor the PS4. In any event, this is a valid reason for people to avoid the product.

Top Bottom