• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

Black-Box

Surprised no one brought this up, but the Xbone could potentially aid the NSA by getting info on citizens from other countries besides the United States. The legality of the info that can be received might not be tied to nationality, the NSA could potentially trade or give info to other country agencies or keep it for themselves.

Basically, the Xbone could be a global net instead of one tied just to the United States.

Wouldn't that be Smartphones instead of Xbone?

medze

They haven't that we are aware of, but we also weren't aware of MS, Apple, Google, and others having done it until that kid told everyone. However, I could make a strong argument that Sony has " demonstrated boundless contempt for its non-NSA customers."

Id love to hear this argument if you don't mind indulging us

Oersted

Just imagine someone kidnapped your daughter.. and was found and caught quickly through cam surveillance of multiple suspected people.

it goes both ways.

Thank you NSA for your surveillance without telling me. I might not have a daughter, but if she gets kidnapped at my home, I would really pleased if you got a video of that incident and share it with me.

Freki

But the NSA isn't a "perv". They're looking for very specific things. They aren't watching you with their pants around their ankles waiting for something good to happen.

about that:
Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of "cuts" that were available on each operator's computer.

"Hey, check this out," Faulk says he would be told, "there's good phone sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would say, 'Wow, this was crazy'," Faulk told ABC News.
source

Coxy

there are BILLIONS of people in the world. even if they tried they could never just randomly watch everyone. You have to be connected to a suspected group of people

some guy I talked to talked to a guy who did was suspected of maybe doing something once, I guess I have no rights

I2amza

Compilation of typical defenses found so far:

- But Apple, Google, and others do it too!

- I got nothing to hide, so I am not afraid. Do you have anything to hide?

- You need a Trojan/Virus in order to have access to Kinect. It's impossible to accomplish that due to the closed architecture of the system.

- You guys are paranoid with your tinfoil hats.

- Why didn't you make a fuss about this 10 years ago with all those cameras on laptops, etc. You bunch of hypocrites.

- It's impossible for MS to do this because Kinect would be uploading trillions of GBs of video & audio! Your ISP would flag you.

- You can turn off Kinect!

- You are a MS hater!

- Who the hell spies on millions of people?

Did I miss anything?

Freki

- You need a Trojan/Virus in order to have access to Kinect. It's impossible to accomplish that due to the closed architecture of the system.

- Why didn't you make a fuss about this 10 years ago with all those cameras on laptops, etc. You bunch of hypocrites.

- It's impossible for MS to do this because Kinect would be uploading trillions of GBs of video & audio! Your ISP would flag you.

- You are a MS hater!

Did I miss anything?

-Your kidnapped daughter will be rescued thanks to kinect

Dark Rider

Nah, I just won't buy the luxury entertainment device from the company that has demonstrated boundless contempt for its non-NSA customers.

This is an important point. Maybe MS (and the other companies on that list) can try to talk about them trying to prevent this in court for the USA citizens, every single person who is not a USA citizen is simply a free pass for them. Not a USA citizen? too bad you have no rights whatsoever and will be treated like subhuman in that regard (the privacy issue).

Oersted

some guy I talked to talked to a guy who did was suspected of maybe doing something once, I guess I have no rights

Stuff like this happened. They have been thrown into Guantanamo for doing their job as taxidriver. Or haven´t been allowed to take their flight.

Black-Box

- You are a MS hater!

Did I miss anything?

Mobile phones.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
there are BILLIONS of people in the world. even if they tried they could never just randomly watch everyone. You have to be connected to a suspected group of people

You never hear of "Six degrees of separation" - which was recently discovered to be closer to 4 degrees of separation for those who are online?

I guess not.

jaaz

- You are a MS hater!

Did I miss anything?

If you have a cell phone you're already being spied on, so you might as well give up full privacy in your home, or you're a hypocritical MS hater.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

Exactly! So what happens when they make being green a crime? They always said "it ain't easy being green."

Also, "it ain't easy bein white," and "it ain't easy bein brown."

If you have a cell phone you're already being spied on, so you might as well give up full privacy in your home, or you're a hypocritical MS hater.

Your logic is flawless.

I guarantee you some lurker is loving this thread right now but can't say anything. Fireworks!

jaaz

Guys, give it up, people like pixie dust or whatever his tag is will never get it. Kinnect 2 could come with a 10 foot dildo that requires you to bend over and broadcast it to the world and these MS apologists would still be in here defending this crap.

Almighty

Just imagine someone kidnapped your daughter.. and was found and caught quickly through cam surveillance of multiple suspected people.

it goes both ways.

For what it is worth I think there is a world of difference between there being cameras all over public places and having one right in my bedroom/living room. I don't think anyone should expect to have privacy walking down the street, shopping in a store, eating at a restaurant, etc. If cameras want to watch my every move out there fine. In my living room or bedroom though yeah I expect privacy there. The idea that someone (I use someone loosely as most likely it won't be a person, but a program) might be watching is a little worrying.

I also don't buy the whole if you got nothing to hide or they will only watch bad people arguments either. The government seems to have a very vague definition of "bad" person these days.

Anyway even with all that said I feel I am much more likely to be listened in or watched to collect information for advertising then for the government. Which isn't much better in my book.

pixlexic

Banned
Guys, give it up, people like pixie dust or whatever his tag is will never get it. Kinnect 2 could come with a 10 foot dildo that requires you to bend over and broadcast it to the world and these MS apologists would still be in here defending this crap.

personal attack and calling me a fanboy.. classy.

Freki

they were listening to OVER SEAS SOLDIERS phone conversations in 2008 at the height of the terrorist war.

umm i got nothing more to add really..
You are not only ignorant you are dense as well.

This was a response to this post:
But the NSA isn't a "perv". They're looking for very specific things. They aren't watching you with their pants around their ankles waiting for something good to happen.
I'd say the NSA listening in on "sex calls" and sharing them amongst colleagues pretty much disqualifies the post I quoted...

pixlexic

Banned
After 2008 it definetely stopped.

Again soldiers on active duty based overseas. Of course they are going to screen them.

I'd say the NSA listening in on "sex calls" and sharing them amongst colleagues pretty much disqualifies the post I quoted...

you brought up a article from 2008 about the military screening active duty soldiers phones calls from over seas and I am dense?

Kinyou

bwahaha

I love how it implies that they didn't care before.

cute PR bullshit

hornoxe.com_gifdump55mpxvq.gif

Fuck people, nothing MS can do is right to you guys.

if this same situation was placed on Sony everyone would be all flowers and smiles, quick to believe them.

medze

Again soldiers on active duty based overseas. Of course they are going to screen them.

again, PRISM. It's a real thing that Microsoft was actively involved in. It was not specific to active duty soldiers and it was not specific to US citizens either. Personal information was collected globally (and probably still is being collected) and handed over to the NSA without question.

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. No matter how many times your comments are disproved with direct links and sources, your mind obviously isn't gonna change. The rest of us would rather not bend over and take it dry like you are so willing to do.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

if this same situation was placed on Sony everyone would be all flowers and smiles, quick to believe them.

MS could pop up with the cure for cancer, and the people in this thread would believe it's some sort of strain of Ebola.

Keep em coming, this is entertaining.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Talk about a woe is me persecution complex. ROFL.

This should be in the GAF Microsoft Defense-Force hall of fame.

Freki

you brought up a article from 2008 about the military screening active duty soldiers phones calls from over seas and I am dense?

Yes - read the article - read what I replied to originally and you might have an epiphany...
who am I kidding

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Oh, an NSA thread. Usual old nonsense in here...

So you're saying it's nonsense that Microsoft assisted and provided the NSA with backdoor access to Skype, Outlook / Email and Skydrive?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

I work in another country's military organization, and while some people might not understand, when you go overseas you are briefed several times about all of this as it is not only to protect your country, but also to protect yourself and your family against terrorists and extortion, etc. If you had seen how dangerous it actually is you'd understand, and I for one felt a lot safer, although my country doesn't do it to the extent of the US military, but I am definitely aware of it. If you look at the news you'll see that people apying on their own country and selling that information is in fact real and still happens, and it can take years to track. The fact that a few people in the US military couldn't take their job seriously is probably not indicative of the organization as a whole, and is only used as sensationalized headlines in the news; as if their job was to listen to "sex calls"!

Id love to hear this argument if you don't mind indulging us

You'd have to go back to the launch of the PS3. Sony made claims that CG videos were gameplay. The original PS3 design was going to have dual display support and 2 additional USB slots, which they took away before the PS3 released. It was going to have multiple ethernet ports and could serve as an ethernet hub, that went bye bye before release. When the price of the PS3 was made known (approx. $600-700 adjusted for inflation depending on model), Ken Kuturagi said that it is probably too cheap and you should just work more hours to buy one. They promised backwards compatibility and the ability to install Linux onto the PS3 -- both of which they took away from people after the console released. Sony had a fake viral marketing website where they pretended to be two young PSP fans trying to get people to buy the PSP until Sony was exposed. Then there are arrogant Sony quotes like..

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."

"The first five million are going to buy it [the PS3], whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it."

Then there were other little broken promises along the way. Oh, and I forgot to mention how they thought that it wasn't important to keep the security for their customer's data up-to-date.

Top Bottom