• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

Since before the nsa leak fiasco the kinect always on is the biggesr reason i dont want a xbox one if the nsa or goverment dont get in dont mean some punk hacker wont get in and microsof isnt know for the best security out thier

Deitus

You'd have to go back to the launch of the PS3. Sony made claims that CG videos were gameplay. The original PS3 design was going to have dual display support and 2 additional USB slots, which they took away before the PS3 released. It was going to have multiple ethernet ports and could serve as an ethernet hub, that went bye bye before release. When the price of the PS3 was made known (approx. $600-700 adjusted for inflation depending on model), Ken Kuturagi said that it is probably too cheap and you should just work more hours to buy one. They promised backwards compatibility and the ability to install Linux onto the PS3 -- both of which they took away from people after the console released. Sony had a fake viral marketing website where they pretended to be two young PSP fans trying to get people to buy the PSP until Sony was exposed. Then there are arrogant Sony quotes like..

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."

"The first five million are going to buy it [the PS3], whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it."

Then there were other little broken promises along the way. Oh, and I forgot to mention how they thought that it wasn't important to keep the security for their customer's data up-to-date.

Holy shit is this for real? Are you seriously comparing actively spying on your customers to Sony removing ethernet ports and support for backwards compatibility

quickwhips

Since before the nsa leak fiasco the kinect always on is the biggesr reason i dont want a xbox one if the nsa or goverment dont get in dont mean some punk hacker wont get in and microsof isnt know for the best security out thier

We are talking about Microsoft not Sony. Sony gets hacked and leaves us rootkits. MS hands stuff over to government. These are two different things.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
MS finally admitted that they and the U.S. government CAN USE KINECT to spy on you in your home.

Really, what else is there to talk about? MS can FUCK OFF.

Omni

I'm little confused - help me understand. Why are we hating on MS when this is a problem with the US government?

Teletraan1

Banned
They haven't shown anything worthwhile for this Kinect 2.0 to make me interested in it in the first place, it primarily contributes to a price discrepancy compared to its closest competitor, and oh by the way they just admitted it can be used to spy on you too. Not enough Jennifer Lawrence.gifs for MS.

freddy

Banned
lol ok you guys win. I have to go to bed.

first_aid_aluminum_foil_blanket.jpg

Did mom call you?

FINALBOSS

Banned
Holy shit is this for real? Are you seriously comparing actively spying on your customers to Sony removing ethernet ports and support for backwards compatibility

Yes. LOL

I'm little confused - help me understand. Why are we hating on MS when this is a problem with the US government?

Cause I'm not buying the USABox that comes with the NSACamera required to be connected at all times.

What was nonsense about Microsoft assisting and providing the NSA with access to Skype, Outlook / Email and Skydrive?
Who said that was nonsense? The nonsense is individuals complaining about possibly being spied on by Kinect when considering all the parties involved in this whole debacle there is basically no piece of tech safe from potential spying. It's rather selective really. Be it an MS, Android or Apple device or whatever carrier you happen to be on, they're all at it.

These threads gain the traction they do simply because it's MS.

If people can live with a mobile phone, web cams and all the rest if it then there's really no need to get upset over Kinect.

The issue is bigger than can Kinect spy on you. And even if it can, so can everything else. So complaining about this one thing is redundant.

medze

I understand its a long thread and you cant be expected to read the whole thing. Microsoft actively assists the US government in the collection and delivery of this private data. They re-engineered products and services in order to facilitate the ability to spy on citizens around the globe. Hope that clears it up

Who said that was nonsense? The nonsense is individuals complaining about possibly being spied on by Kinect when considering all the parties involved in this whole debacle there is basically no piece of tech safe from potential spying. It's rather selective really. Be it an MS, Android or Apple device or whatever carrier you happen to be on, they're all at it.

If people can live with a mobile phone, web cams and all the rest if it then there's really no need to get upset over Kinect.

The issue is bigger than can Kinect spy on you. And even if it can, so can everything else. So complaining about this one thing is redundant.

This is a gaming forum and thats why Microsoft is the topic of discussion. If you wanna talk about google or apple or any of the other companies spying on you, take it to a tech forum that is surely discussing the same thing. What other companies are doing is not relevant to this discussion because the original post is about Microsoft and their policy. Try to stay on topic :)

He was saying that he wouldn't buy a luxury product from a company that showed contempt for it's non-MSA customers. I was merely showing that Sony has shown plenty of contempt themselves. People here are under the misguided illusion that Sony is some great consumer company when the opposite is true. If the NSA had went to Sony, Sony would have complied like all of the other companies involved in this PRISM mess.

Talk about a woe is me persecution complex. ROFL.

This should be in the GAF Microsoft Defense-Force hall of fame.

No, honestly I have never seen so much hate for a company that has turned their position around.

Its the popular thing to hate on Microsoft right now.

FINALBOSS

Banned
He was saying that he wouldn't buy a luxury product from a company that showed contempt for it's non-MSA customers. I was merely showing that Sony has shown plenty of contempt themselves. People here are under the misguided illusion that Sony is some great consumer company when the opposite is true. If the NSA had went to Sony, Sony would have complied like all of the other companies involved in this PRISM mess.

How many personalities do you have?

Or accounts?

No, honestly I have never seen so much hate for a company that has turned their position around.

Its the popular thing to hate on Microsoft right now.

So...a majority of GAF are blind fanboys to everything positive about Sony. Aight.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This thread is a giant, beautiful, horrible train wreck in motion. Theres no sane place to even jump in lol.

How many personalities do you have?

Or accounts?

So...a majority of GAF are blind fanboys to everything positive about Sony. Aight.

You will understand the context of my post if you backtrack some in this thread.

If anything, a majority of GAF are blind fanboys to everything positive about Microsoft. The Sony Defense Force runs heavy in GAF.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I understand its a long thread and you cant be expected to read the whole thing. Microsoft actively assists the US government in the collection and delivery of this private data. They re-engineered products and services in order to facilitate the ability to spy on citizens around the globe. Hope that clears it up

And mandatory Kinect that must be plugged in for the system to work is the fucking dead giveaway.

As for others saying that other devices are spying on them. Bullshit. Most of that stuff can be turned off or bypassed one way or the other.

MS and the U.S. government have been exposed as partners in spying on citizens. Why anyone would support MS at this point is beyond me.

Don't come at me with "I've got nothing to hide so it won't bother me!" argument. Be afraid of what they're NOT TELLING YOU they do behind the scenes. That shouldn't bother you either then, right?

Amir0x

Banned
Remarkable arguments from the Xbox One fanboy crowd. Simply remarkable. Truly, they have crossed a fanboy threshold not even the worst Nintendo fanboy has ever crossed. Basically just utter insanity, corporate cock being gobbled at every turn

What makes you think sony , aplke , google and all other compabys wouldnt also give information and access to the goverment when court ordered ?

We already know Google has as well as many other companies. There's no reason why this wouldn't also necessarily be true of Sony.

The difference is Sony's platform is not built with an always-on camera; the data it would be collecting would have very little use for the government. That said, the government is crazy and may indeed one day go after Nintendo and Sony for information. If they capitulate in that moment (and they very well might), we will cross that bridge when we get there.

But simply because one condemns one action it does not mean one is applauding another that isn't being discussed at the moment. If Sony and Nintendo go down the road we know Microsoft has already gone down, and then they provide a system that would allow backdoors like Microsoft is doing with XBO, then we can talk about how that's fucked up too.

Dark Rider

So it's none of the breach of privacy concerns it's just because it's a MS device?

Fascinating concept.
So if there is something wrong going on and it didn't get enough backlash, but then things got worse it is unacceptable for people to finally do that long due backlash?

KoopaTheCasual

You'd have to go back to the launch of the PS3. Sony made claims that CG videos were gameplay. The original PS3 design was going to have dual display support and 2 additional USB slots, which they took away before the PS3 released. It was going to have multiple ethernet ports and could serve as an ethernet hub, that went bye bye before release. When the price of the PS3 was made known (approx. $600-700 adjusted for inflation depending on model), Ken Kuturagi said that it is probably too cheap and you should just work more hours to buy one. They promised backwards compatibility and the ability to install Linux onto the PS3 -- both of which they took away from people after the console released. Sony had a fake viral marketing website where they pretended to be two young PSP fans trying to get people to buy the PSP until Sony was exposed. Then there are arrogant Sony quotes like..

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."

"The first five million are going to buy it [the PS3], whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it."

Then there were other little broken promises along the way. Oh, and I forgot to mention how they thought that it wasn't important to keep the security for their customer's data up-to-date.

Wait.... what does this have to do with our discussion on personal privacy, the NSA, and surveillance? Oh, nothing at all? ok.

All this post says to me about you is, "Why can't people still hate Sony, like I do?!" All it does is reveal the grudge you hold against them (reasonably so), but completely misses the point of the discussion at hand. Has Sony made many mistakes in the past, and are you entitled to hold them to it? Yes. Does it have ANYTHING to do with our current privacy concerns with Microsoft? No.

(I'm sorry to just jump in this thread, guys. It was way too fun to read people bend over backwards to make their logic match up with their emotions)

It is a bigger issue, you're right about that. But this is also a video game forum and MS is a company creating a video game console that requires a camera. That's why it's a talking point over cell phones and web cams. We're talking about a gaming platform, a centralized device that the government could access. They aren't the only people with this set up, but as far as gaming goes, they're one of the biggest players, and I think that warrants discussion if people want to discuss it. This is an issue beyond MS, and I think it goes far beyond discussions of console preference, but as far as these forums go, MS is the most relevant player.

Amir0x

Banned
I wanted to apologize to all the Nintendo fanboys over the years.

You guys are in no way the worst. I obviously did not have the proper context before to realize who was the worst. We have a new crowned group and you Nintendo fans are going to have to do some stunning corporate cock sucking to beat them.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Certainly. It just deserves its own commentary almost, is what I meant. Bravo. Encore!

Lol. Well, I know what's being said on both sides here. Whether I agree or disagree, it's just easier to duck n cover. Too much too fast going on.

I wanted to apologize to all the Nintendo fanboys over the years.

You guys are in no way the worst. I obviously did not have the proper context before to realize who was the worst. We have a new crowned group and you Nintendo fans are going to have to do some stunning corporate cock sucking to beat them.

Playstatjon fanboys will say xbox is the worst xbox fanboys will say playstation is the worst and pure nintendo fanboys will sit back and just watch as the others bicker at eachother

casmith07

I see this as MS trying to cash in on some cheap tactics of piggybacking off the public sentiment about the NSA information requests.

Except its backfired lol. At least on GAF.

FroJay

Banned
Do people actually believe what Microsoft says on this matter? Come on......you would have to be beyond gullible.

Amir0x

Banned
jayfrontz08 said:
Playstatjon fanboys will say xbox is the worst xbox fanboys will say playstation is the worst and pure nintendo fanboys will sit back and just watch as the others bicker at eachother

PlayStation fanboys and Nintendo fanboys can label whoever they want as the worst fanboys, but there will never be a worse fanboy than the fanboy who is going to defense mode a company admitting a product can spy on you, then having a recorded history of allowing the government to spy on you, and then trying to play it off like it's no big.

casmith07

What makes you think sony , aplke , google and all other compabys wouldnt also give information and access to the goverment when court ordered ?

The key word is court ordered there, buddy. If its court ordered, well, you comply or get held in contempt.

farisr

NSA:" We want to use Kinect for enhanced observation."

Microsoft:"For the record, we don't want you to do that. Now go, here is all you need."

Yeah pretty much this.

Just like so many of the companies involved in PRISM going 'we did not "willingly" give information to the NSA' or something to that effect.

casmith07

PlayStation fanboys and Nintendo fanboys can label whoever they want as the worst fanboys, but there will never be a worse fanboy than the fanboy who is going to defense mode a company admitting a product can spy on you, then having a recorded history of allowing the government to spy on you, and then trying to play it off like it's no big.

Handing over data following a request isn't "spying" but you're right on the money with everything else.

MormaPope

Banned
You will understand the context of my post if you backtrack some in this thread.

If anything, a majority of GAF are blind fanboys to everything positive about Microsoft. The Sony Defense Force runs heavy in GAF.

You joined this forum last month, sweeping generalizations and straight up asinine arguments are doing you no favors whatsoever. You need better assertions, based on actual evidence and merit. Instead of roaming in threads where Microsoft fucks something up and then label people Sony fanboys for saying criticism.

Massa

I don't know how much you know about American culture, but giving up your freedom and privacy is a huge part of it.

And mandatory Kinect that must be plugged in for the system to work is the fucking dead giveaway.

As for others saying that other devices are spying on them. Bullshit. Most of that stuff can be turned off or bypassed one way or the other.

MS and the U.S. government have been exposed as partners in spying on citizens. Why anyone would support MS at this point is beyond me.

Don't come at me with "I've got nothing to hide so it won't bother me!" argument. Be afraid of what they're NOT TELLING YOU they do behind the scenes. That shouldn't bother you either then, right?

I WANT the Kinect to be mandatory and plugged in at all times. That's what will get developers to truly utilize it in the future. Plus, the console is simply better for having it. In a years time, half of the people complaining about the Kinect always being plugged in will be loving what you can do with it.

Everything you do online is stored in a data center somewhere. You might be surprised how much I could learn about you just with Google Analytics.

Microsoft was one of many companies that complied with the NSA requests. So did Google, Apple, Facebook, Yahoo!, and AOL. If you're online, assume everything you do and say is public.

I'm not afraid of what they're doing behind the scenes. I don't believe the NSA has any malicious intent.

Top Bottom