• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Kinect is not always on either. Just because its connected doesnt mean it's on. If the government wants to spy they have much better avenues with a smartphone(gps, mics, cameras, text history, call history) and laptop(cameras, mics, chat and search history, emails) than they ever would with kinect.

think about how you use those devices

and even if there's 'better' ways it doesn't negate the fact this is still bs

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That's rich, MS.

I cannot wait for cable news to get ahold of a Kinect story come launch time.

pixlexic

Banned
Yes it is. It's even on when you turn off the console so that you can use voice commands to turn it on

your xbox / ps3 has just enough power on to detect you turning on the console via your controller. doesn't mean it has power going to everything.w

PSGames

If it isn't always on how does it know when someone says Xbox on?

Yes it is. It's even on when you turn off the console so that you can use voice commands to turn it on

As has been said multiple times in this thread that feature can be turned off if youre that paranoid. But guess what unless youre also powering down your cellphone or any other listening device that could be tapped into what is the point? Kinect should be the last of your worries.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Verizon Google Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any govt attempt to access information.

A statement worth the paper it's printed on. In this case, no paper.

pixlexic

Banned
It's about the possibility to do so - I like to feel comfortable in my home, thank you.

Don't have a "pc cam" nor a 3ds.
My mobile device cam is facing the inside of my pocket 99% of the time. Kinect is facing your living room 100% of the time.

Furthermore my mobile phone uses an open system, I can check power usage of the components as well as network usage. Somebody remotely filming me would raise several flags - I made sure of that.
With Xbox One your are completely at the mercy of Mircosoft. Best hope would be to check your router for unusual data streams - this wouldn't help with metadata gathered by kinect though...

Lastly - even if I am open to one or more vectors of attack already - there's no sane reason to open another one just because Microsoft thinks kinect should be plugged in mandatorily...

Who said you had to face toward your living room?

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
some of you..

tinfoil.jpg

Seriously? You know this is a real thing. Even if nothing happens to you because of PRISM, the fact that the government disregards privacy rights should be worrisome to even the most spotlessly clean person out there.

Lasdrub

Sounds good to me. I always thought it was crazy to think the Kinect would be used that way. Microsoft did a lot of stupid things, but this isn't an issue.

As has been said multiple times in this thread that feature can be turned off if youre that paranoid. But guess what unless youre also powering down your cellphone or any other listening device that could be tapped into what is the point? Kinect should be the last of your worries.
I thought the camera always had power.

markot

Banned
yknow, microsoft and apple write your computer OSs, im sure they can turn on any camera at any time if they wanted to.

People can hack into stuff to do it.

But it being designed to be on all the time is different.

Theres no case of microsoft or another company hacking into a computer for a government. Kinect could be essentially a security camera into a persons house, recording both what is said, and what is happening. Just by giving 'access'.

There is a huge difference.

pixlexic

Banned
Seriously? You know this is a real thing. Even if nothing happens to you because of PRISM, the fact that the government disregards privacy rights should be worrisome to even the most spotlessly clean person out there.

the conspiracy is that they would be watching everyone at all times and that MS is siting is bunker somewhere with them scheming about spying on everybody.

Its just silly.

eznark

Banned

If true then why can't I just unplug it?

And I accept the risk with a phone because the trade off is worth it. For a shitty gimmick peripheral? Not so much.

TheContact

My dad is so paranoid: I used his laptop the other day to fix something for him and he had a piece of duck tape over the camera .. Lol

Within five feet of everyone posting in this thread lies a smartphone with a camera on the front, a camera on the back, a microphone and a high likelihood of being connected to wifi or a cellular network (or both). Keep Microsoft hating.

Sounds good to me. I always thought it was crazy to think the Kinect would be used that way. Microsoft did a lot of stupid things, but this isn't an issue.

They just admitted its possible and they have no choice but to provide the data.

What part of this sounds good?

markot

Banned
Within five feet of everyone posting in this thread lies a smartphone with a camera on the front, a camera on the back, a microphone and a high likelihood of being connected to wifi or a cellular network (or both). Keep Microsoft hating.

If you cant see the difference I feel sorry for you son.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So basically Microsoft is contesting all the publicly leaked documents that were acquired separately by a bunch of major news outlets. Must be some crazy ass conspiracy that all of the outlets received information from their sources that are pretty much exactly the same.

Freki

the conspiracy is that they would be watching everyone at all times and that MS is siting is bunker somewhere with them scheming about spying on everybody.

Its just silly.

All the time - no - sometimes - yes...

Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of "cuts" that were available on each operator's computer.

"Hey, check this out," Faulk says he would be told, "there's good phone sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would say, 'Wow, this was crazy'," Faulk told ABC News.
source

I agree that what Microsoft is saying is bullshit, because when push comes to shove in any case they will have no choice but to balk with their challenge. However, there is a very twisted image of the results of the data collection, including but not limited to how the data is screened, analyzed, and resulting action. This isn't anything like the device in The Dark Knight or Person of Interest, nor is it someone being able to hit a couple of keys and access your Skype video or key into your party chat on a whim or over a couple of words hit on a screening of the data.

(There have been wiretaps in place, but over the years things have become far more focused on thinning out the data rather than mere interceptions, as demonstrated in the fantastic article from Freki. Wiretaps and signal interceptions are typically further down the line, though as always individuals within a system can and will abuse it if they are that type of individual without the proper oversight.)

If, and it is possible given what we saw with the TSA employees, a person does somehow circumvent all the red tape to spy on a random individual, that is the issue of the individual, not the overall system in place.

Not trying to offend anyone or support the NSA (Too poor of an execution to do both in clarity by all definitions and the execution of the system), but it's hard for us to be seen as having legitimate complaints when their directed towards a fantasy image rather than the far more boring reality of a bunch of servers and paperwork.

Finally, yes, it does set a bad precedent with no positives in sight given how there haven't been any public (if any) claims on the system in place preventing or following up successfully on a threat to the U.S. or their environment of laws. Not going to argue there. Just wish that people would focus more on the direct issues with the system rather than focusing on the more fantastical/improbable/outlier elements.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Have we gotten a decent explanation as to why the Kinect is required for me to use an Xbone? 360 was probably on its way to become my favorite console of all time until they introduced the Kinect.

It seems like ever since the Kinect was released, 1st party content has become lackluster as has the overall lineup of exclusives. Why not give gamers a choice of $399 Kinect-less Xbone, or $499 mandatory Kinect? I know its been argued at naseum but I still don't understand their reasoning.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This would imply it is mandatory to connect a webcam for these OSes to work - hint: it isn't...

buying a laptop that doesn't come with a camera with a camera is pretty hard these days. but you could always use tape i guess.

Why is it that giant corporations can hold the government to ransom on any every issue except this? These companies ship entire manufacturing bases abroad, dodge taxes and do any number of shady things to stick it to the government, yet they HAVE to do this?

FireVoa

I thought the new policies you have to agree with their console meant you couldn't take them to court? So why would they fight on behalf for your rights regarding video/audio surveillance?

Freki

buying a laptop that doesn't come with a camera with a camera is pretty hard these days. but you could always use tape i guess.
Fun fact - my gf does exactly that...
And if you wanted you could unplug the connector for the webcam physically - your notebook would still work.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Have we gotten a decent explanation as to why the Kinect is required for me to use an Xbone? 360 was probably on its way to become my favorite console of all time until they introduced the Kinect.

It seems like ever since the Kinect was released, 1st party content has become lackluster as has the overall lineup of exclusives. Why not give gamers a choice of $399 Kinect-less Xbone, or $499 mandatory Kinect? I know its been argued at naseum but I still don't understand their reasoning.

This is the main issue most are arriving at.

What exactly, is the point? The devs already know that each system will come packed with one--so they can create content accordingly. Do they also have to know that we always have it connected?

Can we not be trusted to re-connect the Kinect when it's needed?

I certainly know how to turn on my controller when it's needed.

Shahadan

I don't understand how it is debatable. Microsoft will have a device capable of listening and seeing everything in the room. Do you seriously believe they would not use those informations? With all the benefits involved?

It's like if you had a device that, as a bonus feature, can make any girl wanting to fuck you, and then tell your girlfriend you won't use it because it's wrong/not allowed.
Even if you really wanted not to, guess what would happen eventually?

kuroshiki

no. Your system manager will tell you if camera is on or not.

hell you can even disable driver manually from device manager. On laptop it is non-issue.

The_Lump

Banned
Given the accidental security breaches/hacks/leaks this gen I can only imagine the horrors of a next gen accidental security breach/hack/leak; this time aided by a camera connected to the internet, staring into my very soul 24/7.

They've created Sauron, haven't they?

I kid I kid, it'll be fine. It's all going to be fine.

markot

Banned

There is a reason microsoft has patents for disabling videos if it detects too many people in the room.

Its the future for them. Its also a good source of 'metrics' and shit for advertisers and companies, how many people in the room when x is played? When this app is being used?

erzrb3zr

Banned
And how would it determine you said "Xbox on" without listening to everything and picking out that phrase?

Ever stop and think that maybe it has an extremely small cache of memory set aside for that? That it maybe...just maybe...only store voice commands in small phrases?

Top Bottom