• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Wouldn't accessing your kinect to gather information from you have a huge negative effect on your internet bandwidth? I doubt Microsoft or the NSA have servers recording everything that is going on at every possible connection 24/7 and that they are making you pay bandwidth for it. I thought they needed a court order or something of the sort to be able to listen to you?

Question. For people whose only barrier at the moment to purchasing an XB1 is the fact that Kinect must be plugged in for functionality, and plan to purchase a Playstation 4 but are bothered by the fact that the light bar cannot be turned off, why is putting tape on the light bar an acceptable means of rectifying the issue but applying the same logic to the XB1's Kinect an insurmountable obstacle?
Tape is a bullshit answer to any of these issues.

I think all of these cameras and mics need physical enclosures, covers or separate power switches. You can't fully trust any internet enabled software.

Wouldn't accessing your kinect to gather information from you have a huge negative effect on your internet bandwidth? I doubt Microsoft or the NSA have servers recording everything that is going on at every possible connection 24/7 and that they are making you pay bandwidth for it. I thought they needed a court order or something of the sort to be able to listen to you?
They don't necessarily need to stream audio or video if they have text transcripts and biometrics including spatial positioning data. That'd be tiny in comparison.

medze

That's so they can drive up the price, notice how there's no variation with bundles or models. Kinect 2.0 probably doesn't cost that much to manufacture, its a easy justification on Microsoft's part of why the console costs $499. Hell, making it required means consumers have to dish out cash for a Kinect just so the Xbone can work, its price hiking or gouging on a new level.

The Prism stuff and data collecting is a side pot, not necessarily the main reason behind Kinect 2.0 being required.

I'm sure it also has a lot to do with advertising and collection of information for advertisers to "tailor your online experience" so to speak. Nothing new but still pretty disgusting. Consumer culture at its worst.

KidBeta

Depends on the bandwidth that kinect can record voice at, it could be as low as 64kb/s like Skype.

Question. For people whose only barrier at the moment to purchasing an XB1 is the fact that Kinect must be plugged in for functionality, and plan to purchase a Playstation 4 but are bothered by the fact that the light bar cannot be turned off, why is putting tape on the light bar an acceptable means of rectifying the issue but applying the same logic to the XB1's Kinect an insurmountable obstacle? I mean, if you really want an XB1 and your only issue at this point is the Kinect requirement, but you firmly believe that Microsoft is lying when it says that A) the Kinect will not be spying on you and B) the Kinect can be turned off through the software, why not simply put the Kinect in a position where it cannot do so? It's definitely an inconvenience, but like the Playstation 4 controller fix, it's a one time inconvenience.

I suppose I can understand principle, although it's a bit misguided in this capacity considering the government mandate, but if you truly want to play the XB1's games, I don't understand the logic in not purchasing it for such an easily fixed reason.

how do I cover its ears? ; )

eznark

Banned
Question. For people whose only barrier at the moment to purchasing an XB1 is the fact that Kinect must be plugged in for functionality, and plan to purchase a Playstation 4 but are bothered by the fact that the light bar cannot be turned off, why is putting tape on the light bar an acceptable means of rectifying the issue but applying the same logic to the XB1's Kinect an insurmountable obstacle? I mean, if you really want an XB1 and your only issue at this point is the Kinect requirement, but you firmly believe that Microsoft is lying when it says that A) the Kinect will not be spying on you and B) the Kinect can be turned off through the software, why not simply put the Kinect in a position where it cannot do so? It's definitely an inconvenience, but like the Playstation 4 controller fix, it's a one time inconvenience.

I suppose I can understand principle, although it's a bit misguided in this capacity considering the government mandate, but if you truly want to play the XB1's games, I don't understand the logic in not purchasing it for such an easily fixed reason.

Send me soundproofing tape and I guess I'd consider it?

Are you talking to anyone in particular with those stances on the lightbar and Kinect?

So I guess we got Google glass, cell phones, the PS4 eye and now the PS4 lightbar in the fray as well.

MormaPope

Banned
This will probably open up possibilities for new videogame peripherals.

"MadCatz proudly presents the Privaorb, a orbital box that fits over the Kinect for maxinum privacy. Blocks visual and auditory signals along with blocking the Kinect from seeing you."

I'm sure it also has a lot to do with advertising and collection of information for advertisers to "tailor your online experience" so to speak. Nothing new but still pretty disgusting. Consumer culture at its worst.

I'm sure this is also the case. Microsoft realized the Kinect wasn't going to be beneficial in the future and decided to make it a piggy bank.

Black-Box

Yes which is why saying they are using it to spy is pointless. if millions of people had it and they were spying the ISP would freak out because it is using up all the resources they have.

People will find out easily

pixlexic

Banned
You are either incredibly dense or trolling. Which is it?

the article even said you needed a trojan on your pc. :/

Its funny though I imaging you guys sitting around in dr frankenfurter talking about taken down the government. lol

if someone happen to somehow get past my fire wall and put a trojan on my mac.. all they would see is my face for an hour talking to my dog. lol

FINALBOSS

Banned
Yes which is why saying they are using it to spy is pointless. if millions of people had it and they were spying the ISP would freak out because it is using up all the resources they have.

Yes because people found out about Skype almost instantaneously.

MercuryLS

Banned

It's reprehensible shit like this that will make me stay away from Xbox One. The possibility of spying with Kinect just adds to it.

bengay.jpg

Fuckin' lol. I didn't know their advertising on Xbox 360 was this bad.

Ed Fries must be shaking his head at all of this.

medze

Except the goal isn't to record all people at all times. The goal is to be able to access the camera/mic once a person is identified as a threat/terrorist/criminal/etc.

However, if they wanted to record voice from every Xbox1 owner, it would use a negligible amount of bandwidth that really wouldn't be noticeable.

KidBeta

It would probably use less bandwidth then web browsing.

It's reprehensible shit like this that will make me stay away from Xbox One. The possibility of spying with Kinect just adds to it.

bengay.jpg

Wow, that's some shit.

Xenon

Wow the system wars used to be so simple stuff like graphics and games. Now it's about civil liberties and moral conviction. It about standing up to the tyranny of the cooperation, fighting for what we believe. We will will not tread lightly on this digital battlefield. We will no close our eyes to the greedy shadowy tentacles that surround us and try to prey on our indifference. Vigilance is no longer just a word we read in things happening in the "real world" It is our duty to remain strong! We will not be tempted by DLC trinkets! We will not be swayed by temporary exclusivity! We will not invite the ememy to view us in our homes! NO! WE WILL MAKE M$ SEE RED! THEIR BALANCE SHEETS WILL BE PAINTED WITH CRIMSON FAILURE! PPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS4444444444444444444444444444444444!ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Black-Box

bengay.jpg

If they have a contest to win something it shouldn't be that bad.

pixlexic

Banned
Yes and at this point you are a good match. He's a crazy guy wearing a tin foil hat and you're a crazy guy covering your ears singing "Oh Microsoft, you can do no wrong, my darling fair!"

Huh? the ps4 has a mic built right into the controller. I am defending it as well as the wii U, vita, 3ds... ect

eznark

Banned
Wow the system wars used to be so simple stuff like graphics and games. Now it's about civil liberties and moral conviction. It about standing up to the tyranny of the cooperation, fighting for what we believe. We will will not tread lightly on this digital battlefield. We will no close our eyes to the greedy shadowy tentacles that surround us and try to prey on our indifference. Vigilance is no longer just a word we read in things happening in the "real world" It is our duty to remain strong! We will not be tempted by DLC trinkets! We will not be swayed by temporary exclusivity! We will not invite the ememy to view us in our homes! NO! WE WILL MAKE M$ SEE RED! THEIR BALANCE SHEETS WILL BE PAINTED WITH CRIMSON FAILURE! PPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS4444444444444444444444444444444444!ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Do straw men bleed?

Freki

Wow the system wars used to be so simple stuff like graphics and games. Now it's about civil liberties and moral conviction. It about standing up to the tyranny of the cooperation, fighting for what we believe. We will will not tread lightly on this digital battlefield. We will no close our eyes to the greedy shadowy tentacles that surround us and try to prey on our indifference. Vigilance is no longer just a word we read in things happening in the "real world" It is our duty to remain strong! We will not be tempted by DLC trinkets! We will not be swayed by temporary exclusivity! We will not invite the ememy to view us in our homes! NO! WE WILL MAKE M$ SEE RED! THEIR BALANCE SHEETS WILL PAINTEDWITH CRIMSON FAILURE! PPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS4444444444444444444444444444444444!ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Is there a point you want to make or are you just trying to shit this thread up?

Oersted

Please forgive me YouEnjoyMySelf.

Wow, that's some shit.

glaurung

I suppose "aggressively challenge" = "present with an itemized bill".

Lies and smoke through the PR, sad truths behind closed doors.

Deitus

I find it interesting that they rejected the notion that Government agencies could force them to collect data, but said nothing about willing doing it. So when they inevitably hand over personal data again, they technically didn't lie.

Ever stop and think that maybe it has an extremely small cache of memory set aside for that? That it maybe...just maybe...only store voice commands in small phrases?
Ever stop to think that it doesn't?

Regardless, it has to listen to whatever you say, determine whether or not what you say is "Xbox on," and then keep on listening if what you say is not, in case you say the magic phrase later. This means that it's constantly listening, regardless whether it not it understands what you're saying.
No answer, then?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
How do we draw the line - draw the line between protection of national security, obviously the government's need to obtain intelligence data, and the protection of civil liberties, particularly the sanctity of my home?

You've got no right to come into my home!

Ushae

Banned
The hell is wrong with people? Smartphones, laptops, mics and headsets all have these very same functions and your all worried about 'spying' now, 10 years later? Hypocrisy. Those crying wolf aren't even buying the device (Sony fanboys) and voicing concern for something they don't even want in the first place? Hypocrisy. If MS uses the device in the manner suggested they'll get sued to kingdom come. They have huge departments just to prevent this kind of thing. It's all opt in data, nothing the consumer is committed to.

To be honest you guys should be more worried about Sony (and any other major company) protecting you data on their 'secure' servers than something like this. Yeah, there's a real valid concern based actual history.

Patryn

Couple things: The NSA has admitted that they look into not just terrorist suspects, but also people up to 3 degrees removed from the suspects. That means they look into anybody who associates with anybody who associates with anybody who associates with a suspect.

For the record, a recent study showed that every single person on the internet is removed from any other person by 4.73 degrees.

Secondly, they talk about "absent a new law". Well, guess what FISA is doing? Basically creating new laws. It's totally conceivable that the NSA may interpret a law in such a way that would allow this, and FISA would rubber stamp this.

By the way, as far as Microsoft aggressively challenging this, they can't. Only the government gets to testify and present a case to the FISA court. All Microsoft would get is the court order to turn over what they have.

fleck0

This will probably open up possibilities for new videogame peripherals.

"MadCatz proudly presents the Privaorb, a orbital box that fits over the Kinect for maxinum privacy. Blocks visual and auditory signals along with blocking the Kinect from seeing you."

Leaked prototype?

XpBJkqd.jpg

BWJinxing

K2 cant spy on you...as been said, but if government tried to use k2 to spy on you, we will wage war in court against it.

So...what is it MS?

Is it not capable of spying because *blah blah, safeguards, blah blah. Full stop.
-OR -
Only in certain "instances" after court battles, it can spy.

This is the mixed message they are sending me.

eznark

Banned
The hell is wrong with people? Smartphones, laptops, mics and headsets all have these very same functions and your all worried about 'spying' now, 10 years later? Hypocrisy. Those crying wolf aren't even buying the device (Sony fanboys) and voicing concern for something they don't even want in the first place? Hypocrisy. If MS uses the device in the manner suggested they'll get sued to kingdom come. They have huge departments just to prevent this kind of thing. It's all opt in data, nothing the consumer is committed to.

Those departments take the week off when the Skype data was provided?

Top Bottom