• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

shandy706

If the US government went after any companies data, they would most likely get.

The Microsoft witch hunt is irritating. I didn't abandon Sony over the 77 million accounts that were compromised.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Microsoft say there is no backdoor though.

They also promised there was no backdoor capability with Skype.

Technically true of course, they just added one on request after making that statement.

markot

Banned
Why do we need our console looking at us all the time again >_<?

Its just stupid... its the most stupid since stupidity.

Id never buy a console that mandated that, cause it freaks me out. Call me old fashioned. It isnt even that the government could use it, its just that its watching......

Freki

Did I say unplug or disconnect? http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/privacy

You can turn off those voice features. Not only that, but going offline renders data transfer impossible.

If you are taking your console offline forever I agree.
But why would you trust Microsoft in saying that you are able to completely disable Kinect although you cannot unplug it?

As you are surely aware of the Xbox One is a completely closed system - there is literally no way to know if the toggle in the GUI "Kinect off" is really doing what it
says it's doing in the first place. Even if this setting would work as described there is know way to know if it is possible to remotely and secretly override this setting - from a technical point of view this would be no problem at all.

I cannot fathom the level of trust some people place in Microsoft although they have proven numerous times already that privacy means nothing to them.

The Microsoft witch hunt is irritating. I didn't abandon Sony over the 77 million accounts that were compromised.

Don't think that was comparable. The latter was a stupid mistake on Sony's part and they paid for it. Microsoft is a huge participate in the Prism scandal.

Freki

some of you..

tinfoil.jpg

Snowdens revaltions are surely a product of our imagination... right?
Microsoft openly admitting that it's possible to use kinect as a tool to spy on people isn't worrying at all... right?

some of you...

It still listens for "xbox on" "xbox off".

Do you think Kinect is sitting there going "lalala" and blocking its ears until it hears those specific commands.
You can turn that feature off in software.

But as long as the thing has power there's no way to be sure whether its listening or not.

Personally I would be less concerned with MS giving out that information and more concerned about hackers targeting the system just to prove a point.

shandy706

Except in this case we know for a fact that Microsoft is a witch.

I disagree 100%

Sorry

I wanted an all digital system. The 24 hour thing was the one thing I didn't like. I also love Kinect for my family. I'm putting $740 into the X1 day one along side my PS4.

Every positive story I've seen in the last week has been berated..constantly. Any response to change or encourage, attacked.

PSGames

that's what I got from this story. It's unbelievable that this is even a thing.

Microsoft want people to buy a mic and cam that's connected 24/7 and they promise not abuse it... unless they have to? fuck. that.

You might aswell throwaway your smartphone, tablet and laptop while you're at it! They have always connected cameras and microphones! Come on people.

markot

Banned
You might aswell throwaway your smartphone, tablet and laptop while you're at it! They have always connected cameras and microphones! Come on people.

Um... those cameras arent always on when you use those devices >.> a little light also turns up to show you its on.

eznark

Banned
I'm glad they finally admitted its possible. I find it hilarious that they claim they could keep it from happening.

KoopaTheCasual

I think that's another reason why people are laughing at this comment so much. With a mandatory comply notice from the government, how will this aggressive challenge amount to anything? They shouldn't have commented on this, because all it did was entertain people's wild suspicions that it actually IS possibly for the government to access the Kinect.

They need to do some serious downsizing in their PR department ( -_(\ )

Ploid 3.0

Personally I would be less concerned with MS giving out that information and more concerned about hackers targeting the system just to prove a point.

If hackers could hack into xbox one's that would be the holy grail of trolling or ratting, well if they can actually troll the people they hack. If they can't cause the xbox to go to websites (the websites that have shocking animated gifs or such. Stuff like 2 girls 1 cup), or control the xbox and watch the reactions of the people they won't want to do it much at least.

pixlexic

Banned
Snowdens revaltions are surely a product of our imagination... right?
Microsoft openly admitting that it's possible to use kinect as a tool to spy on people isn't worrying at all... right?

some of you...

You guys make it out to be like they are constantly watching everybody.. if they would have to do that they would def have a good reason to spy on you not just randomly picking portals and checking.

also if they can do it through kinect they can do it through your pc cam.. 3ds's cam.. vita's cam.. your mobile device cam is probably the best to hit.

Freki

So it's ok for Microsoft to do it because others are doing it as well? smh...
Of course it's a problem with all US based companies - but this thread is about Microsofts valiant pledge to protect it's customers privacy... Skype, outlook.com and Skydrive say hello...

Massa

Let's say the government "suspects" you have ties to a terrorist organization. Now they find out you have an Xbox One and you utilize skype - which also uses Kinect. We already know the government spies on people using skype. Or let's say they believe this guy is a terrorist and want to check if, at least, there is anything suspicious going on in the room where the console is set up. The odds are they'd turn it on and see some people fucking or jerking off or something, which is creepy enough. But they could do it if they feel it might lead to some new evidence.

There's a billion ways small and large such a thing could be used against the populace. And we've already seen such things over and over, endlessly. Why anyone would trust that this would be different is beyond me. Then again, the same contingent of people who refuse to admit Microsoft fucked up near endlessly with the Xbox One are probably also coming into this topic to refuse to admit this is a fuck up too (hey erzrb3zr!).

They'll also have a list of people the "suspect" interacted with on Xbox Live, so for example if you randomly played a multiplayer match with one such person then the government will certainly want to know what you were doing and talking about on Xbox Live and possibly elsewhere.

Usobuko

Banned
The government in question here is the US government. Maybe some of the citizens here don't mind since it's their country but what if it is China for example? Are you still comfortable with a foreign country collecting data of you and your family?

Part of me want to see how the Europe and Asia respond to Xbox One with regards to this.'The government' is not our government, not that this has any justification for them to do so to begin with.

kuroshiki

For the stuff that is battery powered and usually (most of the time) sit on people's pocket, yeah. You know how much battery is consumed when your smartphone send stuff over wifi? Crazy a lot.

Seems like they can collect voice and video data afterall.
In that case. Microsoft "challenging" the government is quite worthless. If the US goverment wants that data. They will get it.

markot

Banned
You guys make it out to be like they are constantly watching everybody.. if they would have to do that they would def have a good reason to spy on you not just randomly picking portals and checking.

also if they can do it through kinect they can do it through your pc cam.. 3ds's cam.. vita's cam.. your mobile device cam is problem the best to hit.

No they cant.

So the tinfoil hat stuff that you have a problem with is purely the stuff that exists in your own imagination?

Who has brought up the NSA constantly watching everybody at random besides you?

that's what I got from this story. It's unbelievable that this is even a thing.

Microsoft want people to buy a mic and cam that's connected 24/7 and they promise not abuse it... unless they have to? fuck. that.

Actually, if they mention it's based around Skype functionality then they just confirmed it can be done through Vita as well. And since AT&T are also on PRISM then the Vita's 4G is completely vulnerable as well.

Bet the NSA are just salivating getting all that data from all those Vita owners!

Skype is an actual conversation between people where terrorist intelligence can be gathered. A lot of international communication goes through skype because it's cheaper. Kinect is just reading your body movements for games. In what way would that be useful to the NSA?

You've never used Kinect have you? I chat to my parents back in the UK every week through Kinect chat.

AkIRA_22

Until the government say "because law" if you put that thing in your living room you're asking for a world of hurt. Even if the government doesn't get the OK they may just do it anyway.

PSGames

Um... those cameras arent always on when you use those devices >.> a little light also turns up to show you its on.

Kinect is not always on either. Just because its connected doesnt mean it's on. If the government wants to spy they have much better avenues with a smartphone(gps, mics, cameras, text history, call history) and laptop(cameras, mics, chat and search history, emails) than they ever would with kinect.

Alvarez

Banned
Posting just to highlight this:

"And we'd aggressively challenge in court any attempts to try and force us to do so."

Microsoft, Google, etc. were not forced to cooperate with NSA/PRISM. They did it voluntarily.

Microsoft will cooperate voluntarily again because there's money in it for them. There won't be any "forcing" going on. This is a smart, sneaky sentence on Microsoft's part.

Werhil

This seems like BS from Microsoft, but to be fair, is there really any big company on the people's side for this type of issue?

There basically is no legal hurdle the government can't overcome at this point. They get their warrants through secret courts which approve requests at a rate far in excess of 99%. If by some miracle they are denied, the government can still appeal.

So when MS or anyone else gets ordered to to hand things over, challenging that is difficult since all the relevant facts are secret. I'd like to add for the record, this is a great thing, because the NSA is protecting us from terrorism. I appreciate and approve of all their actions.

eznark

Banned
Kinect is not always on either. Just because its connected doesnt mean it's on. If the government wants to spy they have much better avenues with a smartphone(gps, mics, cameras, text history, call history) and laptop(cameras, mics, chat and search history, emails) than they ever would with kinect.

If it isn't always on how does it know when someone says Xbox on?

Freki

It's about the possibility to do so - I like to feel comfortable in my home, thank you.

also if they can do it through kinect they can do it through your pc cam.. 3ds's cam.. vita's cam.. your mobile device cam is problem the best to hit.

Don't have a "pc cam" nor a 3ds.
My mobile device cam is facing the inside of my pocket 99% of the time. Kinect is facing your living room 100% of the time.

Furthermore my mobile phone uses an open system, I can check power usage of the components as well as network usage. Somebody remotely filming me would raise several flags - I made sure of that.
With Xbox One your are completely at the mercy of Mircosoft. Best hope would be to check your router for unusual data streams - this wouldn't help with metadata gathered by kinect though...

Lastly - even if I am open to one or more vectors of attack already - there's no sane reason to open another one just because Microsoft thinks kinect should be plugged in mandatorily...

markot

Banned
They cant just spy on you with a camera... the kinect camera is designed to be on all the time. Theres a difference.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
They cant just spy on you with a camera... the kinect camera is designed to be on all the time. Theres a difference.

yknow, microsoft and apple write your computer OSs, im sure they can turn on any camera at any time if they wanted to.

Top Bottom