• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is Play Anywhere (XB1/Win10)

Yes and no, but are you going to tell me that fairly essential components of PC games such as options screens that console titles eschew are autogenerated by UWA?

Because I'm not going to believe that.
Are you saying that the settings screens warrants a different new build?

Composable UI is a thing you know (a thing that ms pushes a lot with uwp actually).

Well, not a single of those are UWPs on Xbox, so can you point the part you have issue with?

Mind you, UWP games were only announced to be on Xbox this year.
Actually a few of them are. Ms later responded to win central and said that some games were already uwp on xbone and the announcement was more like letting everyone know than just start doing it.

Some play anywhere games already have adaptive ui. Gigantic for instance, if you have a chatpad or a keyboard you can use it for shortcuts and the ui show the keys instead of buttons.

Ushay

I wonder the % of people that actually use this feature extensively. But hey, still neat.
Ever the MS optimist eh :)

OT - I guess I got another reason to build a PC. Would be interesting to see how many publishers are on board by years end.

Colbert

Banned
Yes and no, but are you going to tell me that fairly essential components of PC games such as options screens that console titles eschew are autogenerated by UWA?

Because I'm not going to believe that.

They are not auto generated but you can include different implementations for different device types in the same code base as the updated Windows APIs support calls that identify the device for you in runtime. Thats quite different from the old way of doing it to recompile the code with different compiler directives. For some applications in the Windows Store it is even supported that different binaries and resource files are provided depending on the device that wants to download an application or game. If you use an engine like Unreal or Unity I assume those runtime functions are available too to the developer.

Ushay

I'm a little bit behind on xbox news. What is play anywhere.

What is project scorpio?
Play Anywhere - Buy the game digitally and own a copy for both Xbox and Windows 10, saves usually sync across devices.

Project Scorpio - Microsoft's next console coming end of this year. All we know is it offers 6TF and 320 GB/s bandwidth.

I wonder the % of people that actually use this feature extensively. But hey, still neat.

close to 10% played the gears 4 tech test on PC
the number for games like Forza Horizon 3 are higher for obvious reasons

extra tibit for FH3
china is the second biggest market for the PC version

Lazaro

Since it's a third-party XPA title I'm guessing you won't be able to share the game simultaneously.

Other third-party Win10 games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dead Rising 4 etc. don't allow simultaneous sharing like first-party XPA games.

Synth

Since it's a third-party XPA title I'm guessing you won't be able to share the game simultaneously.

Other third-party Win10 games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dead Rising 4 etc. don't allow simultaneous sharing like first-party XPA games.

You won't be able to do the whole "10 different people playing on 10 different devices" silliness, that previous games allowed.

You can still have 2 people playing the game simultaneously on different PC, with one being set as the home PC. You can also have another person playing simultaneously on a home Xbox making it 3 users at once.

Lazaro

You won't be able to do the whole "10 different people playing on 10 different devices" silliness, that previous games allowed.

You can still have 2 people playing the game simultaneously on different PC, with one being set as the home PC. You can also have another person playing simultaneously on a home Xbox making it 3 users at once.

I know that, but do third-party WinStore games take advantage of this?
I've only seen first-party Win10 games that allow simultaneous logins with different XBL accounts and 1 license.

Weird statement. Isn't every XB1 game "available for Project Scorpio" anyway? Maybe they're referring to the game being specifically "optimized for Scorpio", but that'd still be the same game/sku.

They make it sound as if there will be dedicated Scorpio versions of games which - as things stand now - won't be the case.

You don't know any of that to be true secondly if it was just the Xbox version being optimized for Scorpio I don't think they would mention it as a separate sku as worded In the press release.

Definitely an interesting twist, I really look forward to hearing more about the Scorpio at E3. If more third party games are published that be cross buy and cross play (saves) I might even change my primary console from PS4 Pro to Scorpio.

While I haven't really done much cross play stuff even though I have a beefy PC, its nice knowing I can boot up FH3 or GOW4 whenever I wanna play on the PC, just that feeling of comfort makes me much more satisfied with buying the games. Its weird, and all psychological, but hey whatever works.

Colbert

Banned
Seems MS has the marketing for the game too as Aaron Greenberg just confirmed on twitter:

rssEV5i.png

Top Bottom