• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Remmy2112

My frustration is growing with this game and it isn't coming from the supposed grind of the Shadow Wars, as there are ways to overcome that. It is with the damn jankiness I am running into repeatedly.

Just finished Shadow Wars stage 2, was trying to kill the legendary Orc for the item he'd drop, but while he was on the ground it flipped him to retreating. Since he was the last one alive it auto-won the mission for me, shifting me back to the main fortress overlook. He was still in the area but retreating and by the time I got over there the game had despawned him.

Earlier I also had an issue where the game was placing a random enemy warchief in fortress slots of things I owned and the mission it wanted me to do wouldn't actually spawn in the objectives. I had ti infiltrate a spy and was about to infiltrate a second one for a betrayal mission when it flipped the mission to something that would spawn in.

Maximus P

This could be quite possibly my GOTY.

I'm at the end of Act 2 and I'm nearly level 40,but I hardly touch the story. I'm having a blast just recruiting new captains, levelling them up and taking down online fortresses.

No other game is getting any playtime at all right now.

I'm kinda hoping the last act is a grind like some reviews mentioned.

My frustration is growing with this game and it isn't coming from the supposed grind of the Shadow Wars, as there are ways to overcome that. It is with the damn jankiness I am running into repeatedly.

Just finished Shadow Wars stage 2, was trying to kill the legendary Orc for the item he'd drop, but while he was on the ground it flipped him to retreating. Since he was the last one alive it auto-won the mission for me, shifting me back to the main fortress overlook. He was still in the area but retreating and by the time I got over there the game had despawned him.

Earlier I also had an issue where the game was placing a random enemy warchief in fortress slots of things I owned and the mission it wanted me to do wouldn't actually spawn in the objectives. I had ti infiltrate a spy and was about to infiltrate a second one for a betrayal mission when it flipped the mission to something that would spawn in.

I still have dead enemy warchiefs in a fortress I captured and can't replace. Just corpses laying there and the slot not letting me replace anything.

See I killed those warchiefs and the missions were like "kill 10 enemy hunters" or whatever, but because the fortress was already friendly, yeah..

There are definitely some bugs and jank that need to get ironed out.

Done game

Chapter 4 too long

Boxes not really help with grind cuz the grind is the defences themselves and a box won't play the defence for you

No need to grind xp or soldiers, just recruit what you can when you can and so far as I can tell you'll never run out of bad dudez

I thought it was okay

7.2/10 GOTY would not play again but will probably buy the expansion pass when it hits $5 bargain bin prices in two years
I still have dead enemy warchiefs in a fortress I captured and can't replace. Just corpses laying there and the slot not letting me replace anything.

Are they non-replaceable both from the army screen, as well as the manage siege defenses screen?

Are they non-replaceable both from the army screen, as well as the manage siege defenses screen?

Yes. On the siege upgrade screen there is an empty slot that says "Replace" but when I press A it fills up the purchasing bar as if I am unlocking it for the first time and nothing happens. It just lets me purchase it again. Oh, and if I add an orc from a a spoils of war chest to that slot the orc just disappears.

Its annoying but whatever.

It happened when I retook the fortress from Bruz, so it must have broke some sequence in there somewhere.

bugulu

Yes. On the siege upgrade screen there is an empty slot that says "Replace" but when I press A it fills up the purchasing bar as if I am unlocking it for the first time and nothing happens. It just lets me purchase it again.

It happened when I retook the fortress from Bruz, so it must have broke some sequence in there somewhere.

This happened to me too. Think I managed to purchase the slot four times until I realized it was using my currency without unlocking it. I did an Online Vendetta, and when I finished it, the slot was open once again.

This happened to me too. Think I managed to purchase the slot four times until I realized it was using my currency without unlocking it. I did an Online Vendetta, and when I finished it, the slot was open once again.

Thanks, friend. I'll give it a go.

Yes. On the siege upgrade screen there is an empty slot that says "Replace" but when I press A it fills up the purchasing bar as if I am unlocking it for the first time and nothing happens. It just lets me purchase it again. Oh, and if I add an orc from a a spoils of war chest to that slot the orc just disappears.

Yeah I think something like this happened to me as well? I commanded someone into the slot though, and they overwrote the dead enemy. I've also had enemy warlords in forts I control. It's weird.

DrBo42

Act 3 was a thing of beauty. Too bad it's about 30 minutes long, but they can't all be winners.

Yeah I would have paced the game way differently now that I know what Act 3 and 4 are. Should have just went balls to the wall after a couple of hours. Only real bad thing for me (End game spoilers warning)
is that they didn't do any voice work for the Dark Talion domination or new lines when referring to him. He just grunts at people and you're still called The Bright Lord.

Yeah I would have paced the game way differently now that I know what Act 3 and 4 are. Should have just went balls to the wall after a couple of hours. Only real bad thing for me (End game spoilers warning)
is that they didn't do any voice work for the Dark Talion domination or new lines when referring to him. He just grunts at people and you're still called The Bright Lord.

More end game spoilers:
Not entirely true. Fortress sieges will reference you having retaken Minas Morgul, and one orc told me that I'd screwed everything up - kicking them out of minas morgul, but also reawakening Sauron, whose eye now watched them constantly. He told me everything was better before I came along.

Pheace

Yay, I got a second 'of the Spiders' captain, I was afraid to use the first as a bodyguard for fear of betrayal :D

bugulu

should i not be executing dudes if i want to hear last words? A lot of orcs are just... getting their heads chopped off

I don't think it matters whether you execute them by chopping off their heads or if you just stab them through the head or gut, sometimes they'll do their little speech and other times, they won't.

I had a couple of hours when I was just slaughtering orcs without anyone coming back for me, nor any last words, then suddenly they started to come in hordes. I posted a screenshot of a guy who I decapitated twice already, and yet the came back. I didn't see him again, so I presume he's dead for good now.

Maffis

Seriously, you can lock on to targets??? I played through the whole game getting frustrated because Talion would dive the wrong target and fuck up my assassinations. I had no idea.

Megasoum

Banned
What do you guys do with your money?

I started by unlocking all my gem slots but now that it's done I'm up to like 6k and nothing to spend it on except loot boxes?

What do you guys do with your money?

I started by unlocking all my gem slots but now that it's done I'm up to like 6k and nothing to spend it on except loot boxes?

Hold onto it for now, friend.

When you start capping fortresses the defense upgrades can get pricey, You can easily spend 6+K on getting upgrades.

The peak "Christopher Tolkien ragestroke moment" has to be (Carnan spoilers)
the Balrog vs. Super Ent WWE match.

Is there sone kinda trick to the fight pits? My level 10 and then level 15 Epic captain got destroyed in the first round.

Be sure to check the level and traits of the opponent before you assign a follower. I think the first fight pit opponents are lvl 20 or so.

KingV

Anyone?

My nephew is going nuts, and because it's digital he can't return it easily.

It’s probably in the market.

I don’t have the gold edition, but I had some preorder loot crates or something in there.

Edit: most of it is season pass related. Sometimes on Xbox shit is weird and the season pass is a separate download. So the gold edition ends up being a key for the game and a key for the season pass. There’s a chance that the main game preloaded but you have to DL the season pass separately it will just say you already own it. I would also check for that.

So there's no stealthy way to kill Ologs, right? Pretty much have to engage in combat/take advantage of traps and explosions to get rid of them

Calderc

The peak "Christopher Tolkien ragestroke moment" has to be (Carnan spoilers)
the Balrog vs. Super Ent WWE match.

Be sure to check the level and traits of the opponent before you assign a follower. I think the first fight pit opponents are lvl 20 or so.

What would be the best way to level my captains if they're all under 20?

So I did all three fighter pit challenges to unlock the fortress upgrades and then... Nothing happened. No extra missions, no way I can see of purchasing anything. How am I supposed to upgrade my fort?

I'm still early in the game (just killed the first Warchief), but I assume there's a mission that goes over recruiting captains somewhere along the line?

semiconscious

Gold Member
So I did all three fighter pit challenges to unlock the fortress upgrades and then... Nothing happened. No extra missions, no way I can see of purchasing anything. How am I supposed to upgrade my fort?

confused me, too. when in the menu, hit r1 (ps4). the column on the left is your attack forces, the column on the right your fortress upgrades :) ...

I'm still early in the game (just killed the first Warchief), but I assume there's a mission that goes over recruiting captains somewhere along the line?
It's available once you get to Act 2 and do the first few missions for that Act. I really would advise rushing the main story to get to that point, cause that's when the game really opens up.

Staf

Bruuuuuuuuz!
:(

CmjZjs9.gif

bugulu

This guy just came back for me, Ar-Benu the Stitch. I have lopped off his head twice already yet he's still somehow alive. Now his head is on a spike, best of luck coming back from that.

He just managed to come back once again. I'm quite certain this is the last time he returns as he was part of the
necromancer end quest
but still. Enough is enough, stay dead, you bastard!

Top Bottom