• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

bugulu

Haha, so did you kill or shame him?

DMcZDDQXkAETCAl.jpg
Decided to shame this guy, and instead of reducing his level, he embraced the mark I set upon him and jumped from level 16 to 50. And on top of that, he decided to get a whole bunch of piercings that must have hurt.

He looks like the type of a guy that'll betray you, and I don't look forward fighting him with that "No Chance" trait. Perhaps recruiting him was a mistake and I should have just killed him.

Whats the best way to level up captains? Mine are getting destroyed in thr fight pits.

*cough* *cough* Lootboxes *cough* *cough* War Training Orders *cough* *cough* give WB more monies for the product you already paid $60-$99 for *cough* *cough*

Or you could grind out missions for them and insure they win so they level up 1 level at a time...

Those War Training Orders you get from the loot boxes, upgrades them 5 levels at a time by the way. And the microtransactions don't affect the base game they cried. You don't have to buy them they cried. They are purely optional they cried.

I'm enjoying how the game kind of is kicking my ass on Nemesis difficulty.

I know it's silly to pick on how it's butchering lore, but this sort of stuck out to me; if Minas Ithil is still inhabitated, why is Osgiliath, the city that connects Minas Ithil to Minas Tirith, already a ruin? In the actual canon Osgiliath fell into several centuries after Minas Ithil was taken. Now the orcs somehow destroy Osgiliath while completely bypassing ithil?

MUnited83

For you.
*cough* *cough* Lootboxes *cough* *cough* War Training Orders *cough* *cough* give WB more monies for the product you already paid $60-$99 for *cough* *cough*

Or you could grind out missions for them and insure they win so they level up 1 level at a time...

Those War Training Orders you get from the loot boxes, upgrades them 5 levels at a time by the way. And the microtransactions don't affect the base game they cried. You don't have to buy them they cried. They are purely optional they cried.
The game literally showers you in Mirian, so no, you don't have to buy them, they are indeed purely optional and no, they don't affect the base game.

Remmy2112

Or you could, I don't know, have them fighting in the pits where they'll gain 2-6 levels per engagement if they survive, and if they don't you get to recruit the person that killed them.

Or you could unlock the fighting pits-champions, send a sacrificial low level against the automatically generated champion level guy and then recruit him after the fight.

Or you could shun a dude from your army, let him kill you for a massive level boost, then recruit him.

Or, or, or... you get the idea.

it's pretty crappy that there's no effective way to train orcs w/o going online though.

What the fuck are you two even talking about? If I complete a mission, my follower gets literally 8-9 levels. If I send them to the fight pits against a low level enemy they're guaranteed to beat in 20 seconds, they get 4 levels always all the way up to level 58 (my level).

Quit spreading lies. You clearly have not played the game. Seriously. Leave this thread.

What the fuck are you two even talking about? If I complete a mission, my follower gets literally 8-9 levels. If I send them to the fight pits against a low level enemy they're guaranteed to beat in 20 seconds, they get 4 levels always all the way up to level 58 (my level).

Quit spreading lies. You clearly have not played the game. Seriously. Leave this thread.
Yeah it's super effective to spend my time playing the game clicking menus a dozen times for each follower to fight a single fight in the pits. Not including demoting first so you can even order some of them to do anything.

If you aren't dying or doing side missions time doesn't even advance. It takes 3 advance time events for every single mission and that time doesn't pass organically.

Lastly chill.

I'm at a loss in this Overlord fight.

The Overlord is a Legendary Olog-Hai who can almost instantly regenerate all of his health, and whose only weakness is stealth (which is disabled in Overlord fights). His attacks do 90% of my health, and if I fight his adds for more than a second he heals back up to max health.

This feels broken. I don't think it's possible to kill him.

The Overlord is a Legendary Olog-Hai who can almost instantly regenerate all of his health, and whose only weakness is stealth (which is disabled in Overlord fights). His attacks do 90% of my health, and if I fight his adds for more than a second he heals back up to max health.

sorry, man. i can't tell if the enemy generation is purely rgn, which might mean it could, in rare instances, produce unbeatable enemies. just curious: where are you, story/level-wise?...

regenerating health enemies are definitely the worst...

sorry, man. i can't tell if the enemy generation is purely rgn, which might mean it could, in rare instances, produce unbeatable enemies. just curious: where are you, story/level-wise?...

regenerating health enemies are definitely the worst...

Second Fort, so not especially far in.

He's immune to ranged, he adapted to executions, he can't be vaulted over, and Shadow Strike + normal attacks do no damage to him.

The only thing that comes close to working is using the AoE move to clear his adds and do some minor poison damage to him, then counter him to build meter until I can repeat it again. This could probably beat him if I time his stun animations correctly, so that he never has time to regen, but this definitely feels like a poor idea for a fight.

Sup. Is he fire/poison/curse/arrow proof? It may not be possible but Elven Light's main use for me in the story is applying an elemental effect I may nt otherwise have a way of getting on there.

Do you have shadow brand yet? I had a particularly unassailable overlord I had to kill last night, and my solution ended up being chain shadow branding every single orc in the room.

but this definitely feels like a poor idea for a fight.

Yeah there's no fun in that scenario. I definitely recommend trying out chain consume if you don't have shadow brand though. Get a handful of orcs on your side and you may just find it makes a pretty big difference. Also, your summons should still work in that room.

DrBo42

Sup. Is he fire/poison/curse/arrow proof? It may not be possible but Elven Light's main use for me in the story is applying an elemental effect I may nt otherwise have a way of getting on there.

Do you have shadow brand yet? I had a particularly unassailable overlord I had to kill last night, and my solution ended up being chain shadow branding every single orc in the room.

Yeah there's no fun in that scenario. I definitely recommend trying out chain consume if you don't have shadow brand though. Get a handful of orcs on your side and you may just find it makes a pretty big difference. Also, your summons should still work in that room.

You can't shadow brand right?

Sorry, I meant chain it.

Oh, no. Not mechanically. But if you have a high enough ammo weapon (10 arrows is 5 shadow brands) then there's nothing to stop you from just doing it over and over. Turn on wraith vision to tell the friendly orcs from the targets and turn the room blue. Arrows in there infinitely respawn after all.

LOL, thanks. To be honest I tuned out most of the menus

yw!

DrBo42

Oh, no. Not mechanically. But if you have a high enough ammo weapon (10 arrows is 5 shadow brands) then there's nothing to stop you from just doing it over and over. Turn on wraith vision to tell the friendly orcs from the targets and turn the room blue. Arrows in there infinitely respawn after all.

yw!

I tend to just throw on the pull talent and fight the overlord in the rafters away from all the bs. As long as he isn't arrow-proof.

Slayven

Still in the second area. But I was fighting an epic level dude and frankly getting my ass beat. Was about to get killed and one of those soldier grunts just appears and once shots the dude and tell me "Get gud". LOL

smurfx

get some go again
I tend to just throw on the pull talent and fight the overlord in the rafters away from all the bs. As long as he isn't arrow-proof.
yeah i started doing that too. putting them up high also means if they try to escape they will have to climb down and you can then jump on them or just shadow strike them.

Joeku

So the
Shadow Wars
are how many stages? Are you fucking kidding me? Got into
stage 4
and I was curious and looked it up.

Lmao. That is a million years away from worth it. Fuck this, I'm out, gonna Youtube it.
The whole Fourth Act should have been left for the third game. They should have let that crazy fanfiction ending stand as a cliffhanger and closed it out on Necro-Talion calmly walking into Minas Morgul with a ghost army.

Fake Edit:
Boy I would have been pissed if that's what I'd played for another couple dozen hours to see. I wonder what a third Mordor game will be at this point.

Fake Edit:
Boy I would have been pissed if that's what I'd played for another couple dozen hours to see. I wonder what a third Mordor game will be at this point.

It should be something in Middle Earth's long past. Though I don't know if they even have the license to make that work.

Joeku

It should be something in Middle Earth's long past. Though I don't know if they even have the license to make that work.

After the first ending,
I would have thought that an Eltariel-led sequel where Talion was the bad guy was the setup
but boy that sure isn't the setup now.

And they literally don't have the license to make ancient Middle Earth work, unless it's focused on some background element mentioned in the movies.

bugulu

Whats the best way to level up captains? Mine are getting destroyed in thr fight pits.

Don't bother listening to the nay-sayers.

The best way to level up your captains is to equip a wealth gem (preferably your highest level), into your ring slot. Assign the captain as your bodyguard and summon him, proceed to shun him from your army. Track him down, either dominate him again for a level boost, or you could let him kill you. He will gain a considerable level boost if you are much higher level than him. Then you just dominate him again, and he'll gain more levels.

People who complain about microtransactions have probably never even played the game and just heard it from a trustworthy "source," or don't know the Nemesis system.
This process takes literally five minutes for each captain to do. And if people consider that grinding, then I don't know what to say to that then.

bugulu

Is he a beast slayer? If not, get a few levels and invest in the "pet" skill tree. Get yourself a nice little Graug. Crush that overlord.
I wasn't aware that you were able to summon Graugs first against Overlords, but I wanted to try it out. And to my surprise, he came to my side.

I have also found the "Mighty Shot" skill to work wonders. It's a great add killer, and since you're able to alternate between fire and poison, you'll most likely be able to get something that the orc you're fighting isn't immune too.

Best of luck!

Ombra

Don't bother listening to the nay-sayers.

The best way to level up your captains is to equip a wealth gem (preferably your highest level), into your ring slot. Assign the captain as your bodyguard and summon him, proceed to shun him from your army. Track him down, either dominate him again for a level boost, or you could let him kill you. He will gain a considerable level boost if you are much higher level than him. Then you just dominate him again, and he'll gain more levels.

People who complain about microtransactions have probably never even played the game and just heard it from a trustworthy "source," or don't know the Nemesis system.
This process takes literally five minutes for each captain to do. And if people consider that grinding, then I don't know what to say to that then.
What you're saying needs to be done sounds tedious on its own, the fact they took away the ability to earn experience from grunts and having to game the system multiple times in a row should tell you they built that part with micro transactions in mind.

I just did my first defense mission and can't see shadow wars being any fun if i have to do that 20 times. I'm tapping out since I feel like i've seen everything the nemesis system has to offer and I forgot this game even had a story outside of nemesis stuff!

bugulu

What you're saying needs to be done sounds tedious on its own, the fact they took away the ability to earn experience from grunts and having to game the system multiple times in a row should tell you they built that part with micro transactions in mind.

I just did my first defense mission and can't see shadow wars being any fun if i have to do that 20 times. I'm tapping out since I feel like i've seen everything the nemesis system has to offer and I forgot this game even had a story outside of nemesis stuff!

That's the whole point of the nemesis system though.
The first, and this game, have three main driving points. The combat, the nemesis system and that you're able to slaughter endless hordes of orcs. The story in this game is sub-par at best, and it's fan-fiction and has absolutely nothing going for it compared to Tolkien's work.

If people don't enjoy the nemesis system, and the search for getting a great orc chieftain by your side with amazing traits, which the whole first game was about when the story was over, then I honestly don't know what else they expected.

And if they designed the nemesis system with microtransactions in mind, they sure did make a mistake by letting them get such a huge level boost. I exchanged whole my fort garrison in Nurnen, from level 30-ish orcs to level 50+ by doing this once for every orc. It took me 20-25 minutes to do it. I don't consider that tedious, and I had fun doing it as I enjoy collecting orcs and see what kind of traits they'll end up getting.

I bought a couple Tostino's Party Pizzas for the first time in a really, really long time and they're even more gross than I remember. Worse the stupid codes are only usable on XBox One or Windows Store versions of the game. So since I can't use them...

Quote the post if you can use the codes, they're for 50 gold coins each.

I finished Act 3 and was completely burnt out on the game with no interest in doing any of Act 4. Spoiled myself on youtube and uninstalled.
The secret ending is cool, ties it back into the films and gives a fine ending to Talion. I guess they have no interest in doing a third game, which is probably for the best

Act 3 was a thing of beauty. Too bad it's about 30 minutes long, but they can't all be winners.

I only liked it because Celebrimbor's dumbfuck ass ended up losing, but it was generally a really stupid climax with no ideas in its head at all.

I bought a couple Tostino's Party Pizzas for the first time in a really, really long time and they're even more gross than I remember. Worse the stupid codes are only usable on XBox One or Windows Store versions of the game. So since I can't use them...

Quote the post if you can use the codes, they're for 50 gold coins each.

1:

2:

Marketing deals at work I guess. Thank you though, I used them.

Pheace

I was suiciding on an Orc to see how it affects their traits and the third time when he was about to kill me some friendly captain shows up out of nowhere and kills him... then i suddenly get an achievement 'Blood on Blood'. His own blood brother killed him...

Pheace

Remember that Determination (the healing) is an interruptible skill, painful as that fight still sounds

Yeeesh Shadow Strike Pull is so nasty. I put off buying it because I figured there’s no way they’d let me grab a Captain and pull him up to an effectively 1v1 fight, but it does and it is fuckin great.

Honestly I feel weaker in group fights in this game than I did in the first one, so picking off from a distance is just the way to go.

Tizoc

How am I suspposed to deal with crowd control? Getting sick and tired of all these shielded grunts ganging around me while archers and spear hurlers fling their crap at me while I am trying to get a combo going.

Haha, so did you kill or shame him?

I shamed then wasted him :p

Yeeesh Shadow Strike Pull is so nasty. I put off buying it because I figured there’s no way they’d let me grab a Captain and pull him up to an effectively 1v1 fight, but it does and it is fuckin great.

Honestly I feel weaker in group fights in this game than I did in the first one, so picking off from a distance is just the way to go.

The "Wraith Counter while ground executing" skill is a gamechanger for group combat since it makes grunts and savages a lot easier to handle. Especially since I think only 1 enemy at a time attacks you while you're finishing somebody off.

That's the whole point of the nemesis system though.
The first, and this game, have three main driving points. The combat, the nemesis system and that you're able to slaughter endless hordes of orcs. The story in this game is sub-par at best, and it's fan-fiction and has absolutely nothing going for it compared to Tolkien's work.

If people don't enjoy the nemesis system, and the search for getting a great orc chieftain by your side with amazing traits, which the whole first game was about when the story was over, then I honestly don't know what else they expected.

And if they designed the nemesis system with microtransactions in mind, they sure did make a mistake by letting them get such a huge level boost. I exchanged whole my fort garrison in Nurnen, from level 30-ish orcs to level 50+ by doing this once for every orc. It took me 20-25 minutes to do it. I don't consider that tedious, and I had fun doing it as I enjoy collecting orcs and see what kind of traits they'll end up getting.

Exactly. I was playing nemesis forge for kicks in the original. The main draw of this game is the nemesis system. It’s like Pokémon, but with orcs. I certainly couldn’t imagine buying this for the story or the awful missions.

Yeah, I had everything mastered with a dance-like flow in the first, but I feel much less capable in those regards now. I’m sure I still may have to buy some skills here and there though.

How am I suspposed to deal with crowd control? Getting sick and tired of all these shielded grunts ganging around me while archers and spear hurlers fling their crap at me while I am trying to get a combo going.

Run away. Higher ground tends to work well.

Hitting the ranged mobs in the eye with an arrow also works.

If just a truckload of melee, the AoE execution tends to do the job.

The "Wraith Counter while ground executing" skill is a gamechanger for group combat since it makes grunts and savages a lot easier to handle. Especially since I think only 1 enemy at a time attacks you while you're finishing somebody off.

Yeah, I had everything mastered with a dance-like flow in the first, but I feel much less capable in those regards now. I’m sure I still may have to buy some skills here and there though.

Wraith counter on ground executions def helps, but there’s something about the flow of executions that I haven’t quite wrapped my head around. I’ve got the add on skills that basically turn it into the first game where you gain a ton of might on hits but lose it all when you get hit, but even then, it feels arbitrary when I can go on an execution spree. I even got the overcharged might bar and the ads on that makes might moves not cost the whole bar, but all this does is add to the imprecise nature - I can’t really tell when or how much punishment I can dish.

First game was numerically set - after x kills of not getting hit, I’m gonna murder yo ass. Now in Shadow of War, it’s a bit of a gamble.

Top Bottom