• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

I don't think the latter half of your post sufficiently answers my critique, unless you are arguing against yourself. You claim that the real question is "how bad" the grind is, but I don't think that's the question. I think the real question is whether the grind was changed in any way to increase average purchasing behavior. Whether you personally find it tolerable is not the question to me.

I think if the content locked behind massive grinding or loot boxes is substantive it's a much bigger problem than if the content ends up being something like a cut scene or some brief coda.

Don't get me wrong, I think loot boxes in general are annoying as hell but I'm not going to let the end of this game deter me from playing the rest of it, which by most accounts is very good.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Who cares. Don't like the loot box aspect, don't buy it?
No need to be so dismissive.

The loot box issue is one that many share concern about and many are curious about the impact of their inclusion. I know for one Gamespot’s review mentioned it briefly in a negative tone but other than that I haven’t seen too much about it.

No need to be so dismissive.

The loot box issue is one that many share concern about and many are curious about the impact of their inclusion. I know for one Gamespot’s review mentioned it briefly in a negative tone but other than that I haven’t seen too much about it.

Every review I read mentioned it.

DrBo42

Will say just how important gear is here. Can add some unique effects and offer builds. It's a good change. And damn does the Numenorian stuff look good.

kc44135

Nice reviews. Still not touching this game with a 10-foot pole. Maybe I'll check out the GOTY Edition in a year or two when it's used, but these Devs will never see a cent from me.

Syriel

WorthPlaying - 8.5/10

On the other hand, Shadow of War does a pretty good job of negating the need for loot boxes. Unless you're terrible at subduing orcs, the ones you get from the loot boxes aren't normally as powerful as the ones found in the wild. The same goes for gear, as you'll be fine with the constant flow of gear from killing foes. The bigger factor against purchasing these boxes is the nature of fortress defense. While winning an online fortress battle generates loot, losing a battle doesn't affect you in any way. No items or gold are lost, and your orcs remain alive and well no matter how many battles take place. As a result, there's no pressing need to use real cash to buy a loot box.

Nameless

Even if I had room for this I'd wait for a BF or Xmas sale. The only saving grace of the first game was running around the bland ass open world button mashing Orcs while dicking around with photo mode and the nemesis system. In short bursts it sorta scratched that itch old school beat'em ups used to. Everything else -- story, characters, quest design, was quite bad. Plus I get nostalgic for LOTR and Tolkien lore around the holidays.

Mostly positive reviews so far and probably good enough to make me pick up the game next week since I did enjoy the first one due to the great Arkham combat. I do find the addition of microtransactions annoying but hopefully it won't hinder my enjoyment of the game too much.

Raptor

Will say just how important gear is here. Can add some unique effects and offer builds. It's a good change. And damn does the Numenorian stuff look good.

Does the combat feel the same still? as in visceral batman countering ballet of badass combat but with a sword?

I loved the combat of the first for reference.

They've straight up said that any orcs that die while assaulting an online fortress battle die permanently.

Unless the context of "losing" that you are referring too is someone else assaulting your fortress and you losing (aka them winning).

It's not very clear in your review.

I'm pretty sure that's only for the ranked option

From Eurogamer

There are two different ways to take on a fortress in Social Conquest: Friendly conquests allow players to mount an assault without risk to their followers. In ranked mode, players will earn a better assault rating with each successful conquest, with that rating dropping in the event of a failed attempt. Vitally, ranked mode is also different in that the attacking player's followers are at risk - if a captain dies during an assault, it's dead for real. Think of it like dying in the matrix, only for orcs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-07-shadow-of-war-has-a-ranked-online-mode

Syriel

They've straight up said that any orcs that die while assaulting an online fortress battle die permanently.

Unless the context of "losing" that you are referring too is someone else assaulting your fortress and you losing (aka them winning).

It's not very clear in your review.

I didn't write that review. Haven't played the game yet myself, so can't comment either way.

looking forward to this but does anyone know if the game will load up my mordor save file for the nemesis system? or do i need to reinstall mordor and do it from there

DrBo42

Does the combat feel the same still? as in visceral batman countering ballet of badass combat but with a sword?

Yeah but more options. For example you can have your counters give an extra timing element or perfect timing and have it give you elf shot. Or you can have it instantly kill grunts. All the main skills have build options like that.

And now enemies can adapt if you constantly use the same move like vaulting. It's cool.

Rowsdower

So, I'put in around six hours so far and I'm absolutely in love with this game. If this keeps up, clear GOTY contender for me. Will post extensive impressions on sunday.

Maledict

I just don’t get this. Combat in the first game was broken, it was impossible to lose if you just mashed dodge. There’s a video out there of a guy beating hundreds of orcs by button mash8ng without looking at the screen or keyboard as he does it.

It looked amazing at first, but fairly soon you realise it’s completely hollow. There’s no depth to it like the batman games had, and it’s so absurdly easy.

I'm pretty sure that's only for the ranked option

From Eurogamer

There are two different ways to take on a fortress in Social Conquest: Friendly conquests allow players to mount an assault without risk to their followers. In ranked mode, players will earn a better assault rating with each successful conquest, with that rating dropping in the event of a failed attempt. Vitally, ranked mode is also different in that the attacking player's followers are at risk - if a captain dies during an assault, it's dead for real. Think of it like dying in the matrix, only for orcs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-07-shadow-of-war-has-a-ranked-online-mode
Well, the review doesn't mention it either so hence the confusion.
I didn't write that review. Haven't played the game yet myself, so can't comment either way.
Sorry, my mistake.

It's hard to really take any talk about Lootboxes to any degree until the game is it, they could have made the lootboxes "Sweeter" at first, and the moment they roll out the update that allows you to buy them with money on launch day make all boxes have less rewarding payouts. It's a wait-and-see in that regard (For some maybe even all the way to the Complete edition next year).

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Samey problems as the first (particularly meh story and bland ugly world), which in spite of having owned for a year+ I still can't get myself to play when looking at my backlog or games I'd rather replay through...

Gonna be a hard pass until maybe 2018 Black Friday on a $15 Walmart bin deal ... probably.
This is the same with me.

hydruxo

Glad to see that this got good reviews (also somewhat surprised tbh). This fall is a little too crowded for me to pick this up now but I'll definitely play it later on down the line.

DrBo42

Should also talk about how bad the load times are on X1. It's 20+ seconds to restart a mission or load into a separate activity like an Online Vendetta.

Should also talk about how bad the load times are on X1. It's 20+ seconds to restart a mission or load into a separate activity like an Online Vendetta.

Is it that bad? I don't remember the reviewers mentioning it but I'm damn glad I'm picking up an x at launch if it's that sodding slow. That's almost as bad as just cause 3 at launch.

I wish I liked this series. I bought the original years ago on GAF recommendation and I thought it was bland and uninspiring. Traded it in the next day. I was genuinely shocked by how much I didn't like it because I'm not a super harsh critic or anything.

Falchion

It seems like it's an awesome game that just has some puzzling microtransaction issues. I'll for sure be playing it and maybe this time I'll actually do a lot of the side content to make the game easier on myself unlike when I played through Shadow of Mordor.

Zimmy68

looking forward to this but does anyone know if the game will load up my mordor save file for the nemesis system? or do i need to reinstall mordor and do it from there

I'm pretty sure you have to load the game and go to the Nemesis play mode (which is new).
You then have to select the guys you want to bring over to War.

DrBo42

It seems like it's an awesome game that just has some puzzling microtransaction issues. I'll for sure be playing it and maybe this time I'll actually do a lot of the side content to make the game easier on myself unlike when I played through Shadow of Mordor.

Really liked the first, having a blast with Shadow of War. It just gets better as you get more skills to develop a build. I don't even have the ability to build an army yet and I'm having a lot of fun.

carlsojo

Really liked the first, having a blast with Shadow of War. It just gets better as you get more skills to develop a build. I don't even have the ability to build an army yet and I'm having a lot of fun.

I was trying to finish Shadow of Mordor last night but instead I spent 3 hours messing with the captains. If Shadow of War is just the Nemesis system x 1000 then I'm all fucking in.

Can you mark orcs from. The beginning but not build an army or do you have to wait to brand like in the first game?

Servbot24

Banned
I wish reviews would cover the poor gameplay as much as the loot boxes. That is far more important imo.

Not that I care if this game in particular is maligned for it, I just wish the conversations around games these days were more focused on the core of the games.

DrBo42

I was trying to finish Shadow of Mordor last night but instead I spent 3 hours messing with the captains. If Shadow of War is just the Nemesis system x 1000 then I'm all fucking in.
Yeah the nemesis system is way more active. Just running around the world I get ambushed or fallen enemies come back with stories more than the first. But not at a level that becomes annoying or repetitive (so far). Said this earlier in the thread but yesterday I was getting revenge on an orc and just about to kill him with a charged bow shot when a captain ambushed me saying I should be aware of my surroundings and not to only focus on him (my target), pretty as he is. As a result my target escaped and the ambusher had to pay. Cool stuff like that just happens. And a random Gondorian soldier saved my life after all my last chances were up in Minas Ithil, lol.

Can you mark orcs from. The beginning but not build an army or do you have to wait to brand like in the first game?
You have to wait.

I wish reviews would cover the poor gameplay as much as the loot boxes. That is far more important imo.

Not that I care if this game in particular is maligned for it, I just wish the conversations around games these days were more focused on the core of the games.
Can only really speak for the combat and gear systems right now but the combat is more in-depth than the first. Elemental additions add to considerations you need to make against tough captains and they can learn now in the course of a fight. If you spam vault, they can adapt and knock you back when you try. Same as if you spam the throwing dagger etc. On top of all that you need to also consider your level compared to the enemy captain. It's way better IMO.

Yeah the nemesis system is way more active. Just running around the world I get ambushed or fallen enemies come back with stories more than the first. But not at a level that becomes annoying or repetitive (so far). Said this earlier in the thread but yesterday I was getting revenge on an orc and just about to kill him with a charged bow shot when a captain ambushed me saying I should be aware of my surroundings and not to only focus on him (my target), pretty as he is. As a result my target escaped and the ambusher had to pay. Cool stuff like that just happens. And a random Gondorian soldier saved my life after all my last chances were up in Minas Ithil, lol.

You have to wait.

Is it half the game like the first one? You can pm me the details if you would like to avoid even remote spoilers in the thread.

DrBo42

Is it half the game like the first one? You can pm me the details if you would like to avoid even remote spoilers in the thread.

Is the nemesis system half the game? I mean, it's a core element of it. Drives most of the activities but obviously there's a campaign here as well. Outside of lore activities for other characters pretty much everything involves the nemesis system. So I guess the answer is yes but it's way more visible and interactive this time.

Is the nemesis system half the game? I mean, it's a core element of it. Drives most of the activities but obviously there's a campaign here as well. Outside of lore activities for other characters pretty much everything involves the nemesis system. So I guess the answer is yes but it's way more visible and interactive this time.

No no i meant the time it takes to get the ability to do the branding. In shadows of mordor it takes half of the story missions and into the second zone before you can actually start branding them

DrBo42

No no i meant the time it takes to get the ability to do the branding. In shadows of mordor it takes half of the story missions and into the second zone before you can actually start branding them

Oh, I see. Unknown at the moment but I don't think so.

I miss from software.

They are simply, the best. Announcements next year!

034-480x319.jpg

carlsojo

You have to wait.

Can only really speak for the combat and gear systems right now but the combat is more in-depth than the first. Elemental additions add to considerations you need to make against tough captains and they can learn now in the course of a fight. If you spam vault, they can adapt and knock you back when you try. Same as if you spam the throwing dagger etc. On top of all that you need to also consider your level compared to the enemy captain. It's way better IMO.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds great.

Top Bottom