• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

Drewfonse

I will play this eventualy. I don't really give a shit about the "true ending", as long as the readily accessible one gives you some sense of closure. Do the loot boxes affect the game significantly, apart from the extra post game true ending?

My copy showed up today, and so far I'm enjoying it. It doesn't seem like a crazy departure from the original, yet there is definitely a lot of new stuff mixed in.

Playing on PS4 Pro BTW. There are options for performance vs. resolution. I have it set to resolution and it looks nice in 4k/HDR. Not sure what the actual resolution is though (doesn't look native).

Is anyone else playing this yet?

My copy showed up today, and so far I'm enjoying it. It doesn't seem like a crazy departure from the original, yet there is definitely a lot of new stuff mixed in.

Playing on PS4 Pro BTW. There are options for performance vs. resolution. I have it set to resolution and it looks nice in 4k/HDR. Not sure what the actual resolution is though (doesn't look native).

Yea, got it myself today as well.

Only hang up is the utterly stupid design choice of holding X to run again. Why they insist on this is beyond me.

Apart from that, it’s ok. Nothing special, just more of the first with a bigger focus on the Nemesis System, which isn’t exactly great in my eyes but I’ll complete it and trade it in.

Yea, got it myself today as well.

Only hang up is the utterly stupid design choice of holding X to run again. Why they insist on this is beyond me.

Apart from that, it’s ok. Nothing special, just more of the first with a bigger focus on the Nemesis System, which isn’t exactly great in my eyes but I’ll complete it and trade it in.

its dumb but in the first i was sneaking everywhere so it never affected me unless I was escaping.

Hamoody

UAm6SXk.png

The last negative sounds far more impactful than the 3 positives.

I was afraid this was going to happen.

Verder

Well shit I knew it was gonna be a repeat of 1

Great nemesis system but shitty story and ugly world :/

Damn it'll have to be a sale

DrBo42

Replacing an enemy fortress' warchiefs with your spies is pretty cool. Although I kinda wish I didn't do that for my first one, was super easy.

Edit: Now that I'm a little further in I can speak a bit more of the game as a whole. It feels like going from Assassin's Creed II to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Not huge changes but solid and build upon the original. I do wish the world looked a little better and was more interesting but it's more of what I wanted from the first game. Highly recommend you switch to Nemesis difficulty when you've got a decent gear setup and your core skills.

Ashtar

I was gonna save this for later in the year but I ended up having the week off from work for other reasons and it's part of gcu so fork it I'm getting it Tuesday morning
I liked the first one but found it pretty easy

All this shit locked behind loot boxes and it still gets these high grades from the gaming media? Fuck off already. Not touching this game with a 50-foot pole until I can get it for $10.

All this shit locked behind loot boxes and it still gets these high grades from the gaming media? Fuck off already. Not touching this game with a 50-foot pole until I can get it for $10.

the major gaming media aren't going to risk pissing off publishers by releasing a negative review. It's sad, really.

nothing is locked behind lootboxes though

this bad meme needs to go away lol

the major gaming media aren't going to risk pissing off publishers by releasing a negative review. It's sad, really.
Yup, this is correct. I used to work on a gaming website (neither big or small in terms of reach) on my country and we pissed off Activision when we gave COD Ghosts a 7/10. They blacklisted us immediately and we never received an invitation or a review copy ever again.

MUnited83

For you.

There is nothing locked behind lootboxes. And most reviewers didn't feel like the game balance was affected by the existence of them.

Not only this but Eurogamer did an entire video about how they aren't needed at all. That the game throws enough of everything at you.

True.

Reading through this thread over the past few days has turned over my view for this game completely.

Initially, I had zero interest in the game but now the game is pre-loaded on my PC and ready to be unpacked.

But honestly, I have nothing to play before Assassin's Creed Origins which is still quite far away at the end of the month.

Anyway, do I need to play Mordor before jumping into this? Is there a video recap of the story or something like that out there?

True.

Reading through this thread over the past few days has turned over my view for this game completely.

Initially, I had zero interest in the game but now the game is pre-loaded on my PC and ready to be unpacked.

But honestly, I have nothing to play before Assassin's Creed Origins which is still quite far away at the end of the month.

Anyway, do I need to play Mordor before jumping into this? Is there a video recap of the story or something like that out there?

No, the story is pretty bad, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's a great game though, worth a play through.

Lucreto

Nothing it locked behind loot boxes, everything can be gotten in game but getting it through boxes if faster.

It also possible the game is good so the media gave it a good score and everyone outside of GAF don't care about loot boxes.

It already ahead in terms of preorders. It's outselling the first game and Batman Arkham knight.

Pheace

Anyone playing already know what kind of rewards you can get for social mode multiplayer and how it compares to ranked? (and does ranked influence social mode somehow?)

ps: Do you need "friends" who have the game to play social mode?

Lucifon

Was actually about to ask about this. Does it let you switch difficulty on the fly? You're not locked into whatever you start with, right?
It lets you switch on the fly. If you played the first game I recommend Nemesis difficulty from the outset. It doesn't feel that tough, more like the way you're meant to play.

Honestly Shadow of War / Middle Earth never really punishes you very hard for dying. If you're in the open world you just respawn and time moves on. In shadow of war death creates a revenge mission which often can have decent loot - it's almost a good thing to die. Not only do you experience more of the intricacies of the nemesis system but you get more loot to boot, and have your own little personal stories.

If you haven't played the first though it's probably best to stick to normal then bump it up once you get your bearings. It's not great at explaining some mechanics.

Rozart

Will probably pass this. The weak story criticism is a real downer. I'm slogging through Andromeda right now and am pretty sure that I'm close to the end but I don't think I can stomach another game with a bland/dull/just plain bad story.

Also, is it just me or is there barely any buzz surrounding this game? Especially seeing how well-received the original Mordor game was.

No, the story is pretty bad, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's a great game though, worth a play through.

I'm not really a fan of the combat. From what I've seen, it's pretty simple, even braindead.

Will probably pass this. The weak story criticism is a real downer. I'm slogging through Andromeda right now and am pretty sure that I'm close to the end but I don't think I can stomach another game with a bland/dull/just plain bad story.

Also, is it just me or is there barely any buzz surrounding this game? Especially seeing how well-received the original Mordor game was.

There's definitely buzz, but most of them are of negative tone.

Yukinari

I legit wonder how bad the multiplayer ranked siege mode will get when people stop playing it and move onto the next triple A game.

Its gonna be like Let it Die where whales have the best shit in the game thus making anybody who doesnt spend money hit a brick wall.

Kard8p3

Don't know when I'll get around to picking this up, but I have a question about the PC version; will I be able to use PS4 button prompts?

Don't know when I'll get around to picking this up, but I have a question about the PC version; will I be able to use PS4 button prompts?

I assume yeah since most steam games from AAA publishers are starting to enable PS4 prompts from connecting a PS4 controller

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't want to buy this game, but for some reason I really want to hear the in-game story/conclusion for Shelob, lol, considering the thing that they pulled off in here.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member

Is the the open world any bigger?

Maximus P

There are people in this thread that have early copies and are enjoying it throughly. One of our mods reviewed it with a high score and said that loot boxes can be easily ignored.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that everyone is a shill.

Foxxsoxx

Yup, this is correct. I used to work on a gaming website (neither big or small in terms of reach) on my country and we pissed off Activision when we gave COD Ghosts a 7/10. They blacklisted us immediately and we never received an invitation or a review copy ever again.

._.

No wonder every COD scores above a 7 on all the sites.

shimon

Over a 7/10 huh? Classy as always Activision.

I wonder if they have a note sent to all reviewers saying: "less than 9/10 and you're done".

I'm not really a fan of the combat. From what I've seen, it's pretty simple, even braindead.

There's definitely buzz, but most of them are of negative tone.

Depends what you mean. Yeah, you can spam a few moves to get through it or you can get creative. The combat is quite sand boxy. It's loads of fun to fuck around with.

Shari

Idk. Im waiting for the OT to see if anyone who actually knows about that to clue me in lol

whitewolf20 1 point 6 hours ago
I live in New Zealand, for us the steam store says our release date is 11th of October (as of posting this 1 day and 14 hours) so it links up to the same time as the rest of the world.

I think the dream is dead.

FiraB

Banned
I just got given an early copy out of "friends and family" benefits.

Guess I'm playing shadow of war for the rest of the week.

Majukun

well,looking at the threads on gaf, gamers are not bothered by lootboxes, why should reviewers?

benzopil

So sad. Thankfully they were brave enought with Andromeda, Mafia 3 and lots of other games!

Did they also blacklist Joystiq, Eurogamer, VideoGamer, Edge, Push Square, GameWatcher, PC Gamer, Impulsegamer, AtomicGamer, PCGamesN and a couple of others because of low scores?

Top Bottom