• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loved the first. Solid enough reviews already to lock it in as a purchase with my Scorpio.

butman

I have too many good games in my backlog as to risk playing this "blockbuster" with a bland and boring open world.
With the first one I had enough.

GavinUK86

Hmm, yeah, sounds like a pass for me then. The first game had so many problems and it seems they still exist for this one. Good job there are, hopefully, better games coming out very soon.

takriel

UAm6SXk.png

The last negative sounds far more impactful than the 3 positives.

I'm sorry but what the fuck are these last two positives?

PS, this is $35 for PC over on CDKeys. Was kind of waiting to see what reviews look like before committing. I enjoyed the first enough.

Wait for a few more impressions before jumping in I think.

thekeats

Neo Member
Because, publishers. Unfortunately there's some tone deaf folk at the top of some of these companies / investors / shareholders who will apply a lot of pressure to introduce these kind of things when time and time again they prove just how profitable they are. It's okay us complaining about it, but at the end of the day people spend hundreds on this crap.

It was kind off a rhetorical question.

For me this is just one more reason to wait for a sale. I enjoyed the first, but never completed it. Got bored in the second half. The story mods (second ring of power, the nazgul stuff and sexy shelob) the miss communication of the charity DLC and then the loot boxes just reinforced that this may not be the sequel i wanted.

When I read that the game world is bleak and bland that doesn't really make me all that happy. The world wasn't all that in the first one and I hoped they had improved on this for the sequel at least.

Wasn't hyped one bit for this anyway. Have they at least worked on combating the repetitive nature of the quests?

Interesting to see how reviews cover this games content. Some vaguely talk about the game structure toward the end and just gloss over it. polygon though goes in great detail on the post game and how that is when loot boxes come into play. I feel many other reviews are missing information, I love reviews that cover all aspects of the game. Maybe it's a spoiler to some to know about really really late game optional activities but I like to be informed.

(gamespot covers this too but says it never needed loot boxes.)

deadfolk

When I read that the game world is bleak and bland that doesn't really make me all that happy. The world wasn't all that in the first one and I hoped they had improved on this for the sequel at least.

Yeah, that was my main complaint with the first one. They didn't worry about lore when they sexed-up Shelob, so a bit of variety in the landscape wouldn't have hurt.

Weebos

Banned
Glad to see it turned out well. I loved the first game.

I unfortunately don't have any room in my schedule for this game this year. Maybe if there is a strong Black Friday sale.

Looking forward to playing it, hopefully early next year.

GAF's narrative of the game is built around loot boxes and microtransactions. Reality is a bit different.
It's honestly pretty dumb. I understand being bothered by them if they're in your face or if the game seems to force you to get them to have a good experience. Nobody wants to wait to see how it plays out lol.

Lucifon

So basically any game out there with them.

Not true actually. There's games which get the balance right, turning loot boxes into something which can actually be a pretty fun addition. Then there's those which go too far and make non-payers feel unrewarded. From what reviewers have said about Shadow of War the game gives you plenty of currency to get things by playing and actually never seems necessary or even tempting to pay for anything. I'd argue there's some very popular games with positive consensuses here on GAF which have pretty shitty lootbox practices that damage the enjoyment of the game for those which don't pay.

Wow polygon appear to have marked it down cos of microtransactions interesting .....I like it.

It's a shame they haven't marked down the many games before it which (from what I can tell) have significantly worse practices.

benzopil

It's honestly pretty dumb. I understand being bothered by them if they're in your face or if the game seems to force you to get them to have a good experience. Nobody wants to wait to see how it plays out lol.
Nobody had to wait. Devs said that they tested the balance while turning off lootboxes and MTs. But nobody cared, people know better.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Remember when reviewers used to dock points from games for not having an online mode which then forced lots of devs start adding online to their games? Why don't they dock points for loot boxes and so help reduce this terrible practice?

Shari

There's fun to be had in conquering fortresses, but it does also feel a little like managing a small business.

How to try to put one positive and one negative in a single sentence and ending up with two positives in my book.

I DO want that management part, I DO want to manage my army and I DO want to be the owner of a small army in the middle earth.

Please and thank you.

Remember when reviewers used to dock points from games for not having an online mode which then forced lots of devs start adding online to their games? Why don't they dock points for loot boxes and so help reduce this terrible practice?

Cause while not having online mode on a game that screams for one is detrimental, having loot boxes on a game that doesn't need them to get all the fun or make the game good it's pretty much harmless, letting aside forum warriors who would bash a game for having an optional microtransaction that impacts in no meaningful way the game.

mazillion

Well i'm glad it's being received positively.

I preordered on impulse when I saw it for $30, seems like it'll be worth it at that price.

...some have? Are people actually looking at these reviews?

The first was a decent game released in a terrible year which made it look a lot better.

This one isn't worth my time with the games coming out this year...

Reviewers ain't our friends. They forget about those loot boxes the moment their free press kits arrive.

I read the IGN and Game Informer reviews and they way they just hand-wave it is depressing. The very fact a free-to-play money-grabbing gambling scheme exists in a $60 game is reason enough to get upset, but they're perfectly fine waving the "optional" flag. This is how this garbage gets normalized.

I read the IGN and Game Informer reviews and they way they just hand-wave it is depressing. The very fact a free-to-play money-grabbing gambling scheme exists in a $60 game is reason enough to get upset, but they're perfectly fine waving the "optional" flag. This is how this garbage gets normalized.
It gets normalized because the majority of gamers don't care or buy into it. Myself included lol

Shari

Pre ordered but wont play til scorpio :D

Not to judge your decision-making but why would anyone nowadays but a game on release when you have no intention to play immediately? In the age of games that drop HARD after the firsts week/s it makes no sense to buy something you are not going to play immediately.

It gets normalized because the majority of gamers don't care or buy into it. Myself included lol

Right in the money.

Stygr

Banned
How's the PC version?

I'll wait for the complete edition, not gonna give to WB money at day one after MK X and BAK on PC.

VSG

Neo Member
Consensus on loot boxes lies on "You don't need to buy it, but the game will remind you to buy them."

This is possibly even more annoying to me. Is it at least restricted to the game menu, any idea?

Also curious on how the PC port is, although Shadow of Mordor was really good, and this has NVIDIA helping out (good and bad) as well.

benzopil

Because some people like them? I like lootboxes but never buy them

Tovarisc

This is possibly even more annoying to me. Is it at least restricted to the game menu, any idea?

Also curious on how the PC port is, although Shadow of Mordor was really good, and this has NVIDIA helping out (good and bad) as well.

Same helpers who put out all pure bullshit videos from Arkham Knigh and were not even in same star system in representing what PC port was like at release.

Peroroncino

Big sites like these are too scared to piss off the publisher and rant about micrtotransactions, it's the main reason why I no longer even give them a click or am interested in their 'professional' opinion.

Lootboxes are getting worse with each year, and big sites ignoring that isn't helping one bit.

danowat

Banned
Because some people like them? I like lootboxes but never buy them

Some people like lots of things they shouldn't, doesn't make them right.

I just wonder how far they need to push before they are universally derided, I get that some people like them, or aren't bothered by them, but I don't think the devs are going to stop pushing until 'we' start pushing back.

How to try to put one positive and one negative in a single sentence and ending up with two positives in my book.

I DO want that management part, I DO want to manage my army and I DO want to be the owner of a small army in the middle earth.

Please and thank you.

My exact thought reading that excerpt lol. I fucking looooove the sound of it.

Shock32

Wasn't hyped one bit for this anyway. Have they at least worked on combating the repetitive nature of the quests?

I thought the same thing about the game world. And it might just be me but I swear all the trailers I've seen so far, the game world doesn't look bland or bleak. This was my number one complaint from the first game. Between this and the loot boxes it's going to be a pass.

VSG

Neo Member

Aaaaaand there goes my interest in the game at launch. Maybe later in the discount bin.

Same helpers who put out all pure bullshit videos from Arkham Knigh and were not even in same star system in representing what PC port was like at release.

Yeah, there are definitely bad examples but there are some good examples too- Project Cars 2 from 2 weeks ago, for example. The loot box bugging caused my interest to drop anyway, so I care less now.

Top Bottom