• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 : First Screens (from Alpha Build]

Card Boy

Banned
...how did people not know this was 3D?

because its not mentioned unless you click on this out of a 5000+ word document.?

jNr3A.png

tbm24

because its not mentioned unless you click on this out of a 5000+ word document.?

jNr3A.png

Well, if you're planning on backing a project with your own money, you should read everything. 5000 words is not a lot to read. No one has a right to complain for their own ignorance in backing this project if they didn't even care to fully read what they were backing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Or how about you just scroll down a little bit?

Did people think this game was seriously going to be 2D sprites in the final game?

Yeah, I really don't get it.

Did people expect the concept art to have 3D models or something to clarify the look they were going for?

News flash. All concept art is 2D. When you see environmental concept art for Uncharted, do you assume that game is in 2D unless someone tells you otherwise? The campaign was during pre-alpha.

Mzo

They said it was a polygonal 2.5D game from day one.

People came to GAF posting the concept art of a screenshot and they were corrected way back then.

I thought they made it pretty clear.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Woah, so many backer feel betrayed and raged.

Rules of investment. You read the whole proposal, including FAQ, and any tiny bits of info you can gather, before you put the money in the table. It's already mentioned, and reading the whole proposal is expected.

Inafune is a great game designer, but please read whatever proposal he gave. It's benefficial, not only for yourself, but also so that you can give input to the production team as well if there's thing that you think need to be fixed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ugh. Not at the screens (looks good, esp for an alpha), but at 90% of the kneejerk posts in here.
It's why I've barely been following this game after how much I posted in the KS thread. Most of the backers have left a bad taste in my mouth that I'm thinking of ignoring everything about this game until I get what I paid for.

Chev

There's a 3D animation sample in the original pitch video. Even if you don't like to read the description of what you're funding you should've caught that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The concept art to crap 3d models process has been one of my bug bears for pretty much all 3D game generations up til now where the tech and shaders and fidelity are just there to execute on any vision whatsoever as long as you've got the talent in play. Entire asset teams failing to realise the importance of colour design has certainly been a core issue to that.

That concept art of the totally sweet ass 2D Mega-Man successor up there that people deride as "oh well of course it wasn't gonna look like that, you shoulda known it would automatically be like 50% near to that if that" should also know, its totally achievable with cel-shaded graphics and taking the route to achieving that vision 100% seriously.

People kept raising Guilty Gear Xrd in the last topic this all shaked out in as a sign of where cel-shading graphics can go and its gotten mentioned again, and thats because thats where they were aiming right from the start. That was their visual target, to get as close to the 2D sprites possible, and move from there.

If a team couldnt achieve that in 3D, then its time to have the "so we're going 2D" conversation, and since its IntiCreates, I have to assume the artists pumping out quality 2D concept art can mysteriously animate those motherfuckers too. Who made the 4 frame prototypes of Mighty #9? Lock that guy/gal away for 2 years and I assume he'll have some gosh darn finished sprites by deadline. We don't live in an age where your 2D art has to be hand-fed back into pixels by a convoluted process, that shit just goes right in. A fan hurled this out in the duration of the campaign:
ari_mightyno9_zps14172b3c.gif

Executed on the concept, just like that. Bam. For free.

Thats why I feel okay with commenting on an alpha and that it just don't look like the successor it was hyped up to be, and indeed heavily promoted by through key imagery. I'm sure the game will look tightened up and a little more bright around the edges and so forth, but getting anywhere near the ultra-toony concept art? Thats out, thats not happening. I've been following the videogame development process from alpha to final for christ, 14 years now if we're going by the advent of my heavy internet usage and constantly peering back into old game prototypes. I know what a smiling "this is what our game looks like and will look like!" producer image means when released alongside checkerboard test area shots, and thats the game I don't really like the look of. People might as well have gone nuts for Explodemon really.

Wensih

I know the concept art was never an indication of the final product, but I prefered the Rayman Origins/Legends/Wario Land Shake It! Style better.

Ok, after seeing Infaune actually play the alpha build, I am just not worried about it anymore. I can admit, I honestly wanted what the target 2d render above but, after seeing the gameplay, I don't really care about the actual fidelity, game looks so solid.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Ha, I love how quickly he absorbed the enemy with his dash. That's all a very good start. It's good that it already has a rhythm that makes me want to pick up the controller and play.

I know the concept art was never an indication of the final product, but I prefered the Rayman Origins/Legends/Wario Land Shake It! Style better.

Wario Land got Production I.G. to animate it's characters for them... I often wonder why more games don't employ professional animation houses for character animation. I can understand why a game like this doesn't, as it never intended to be produced with such a huge budget...

It'll be nice to see how this game ends up looking once they actually start getting to the graphic refinement steps, however. If it's as successful as they'd like, perhaps a sequel can start to be the blatantly, unreasonably expensive 2D dream game everyone would want it to be.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Looking good. Dudes made some of the best Megamans out there so I expect awesomeness out of this game.

Anyone who hasn't backed this and likes 2D games should do so immediately.

BearPawB

Banned
What I don't get is: Why release screenshots like the ones in the OP if they've already had this kinda stuff in September? It feels like a step back and it's not gonna get people excited.

i don't understand why people were expecting 2d?
This has always been a 3d based game

I always find bosses watching employees from a screen in their office to be creepy.

That little security system? That's nothing. I'm an auditor, so I travel around to different offices on a regular basis. One place that I work at every few years has one of the most absurd surveillance systems I've ever seen. And the manager of the place LOVES to show it off. If you go into his office, he'll have you sit down and take a look at his Orwellian toy. He'll show you views of almost every room that he manages in offices spanning several cities. He has the ability to zoom in to the point that you can read an employee's monitor. I really think the guy gets some sort of voyeuristic enjoyment out of it.

As long as the final build has the bloom turned down, and I'm sure it will have, I have nothing to complain about. The rest looks perfectly fine.

Top Bottom