• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 has gone gold. Confirmed release date of June 21 (3DS/PSV later date)

dity

They explained the 2.5D part WAY before the Kickstarter ended. People had way too much time to withdraw their backing.

It wasn't information that was available at the most important phase of funding (the first 24 hours). It also doesn't account for people who set a reminder and didn't receive campaign updates who put in money within the last 48 hours.

Crocodile

It wasn't information that was available at the most important phase of funding (the first 24 hours). It also doesn't account for people who set a reminder and didn't receive campaign updates who put in money within the last 48 hours.

If people can't be bothered to read a Kickstarter before donating to it then *shrug*

Keby

I hope there is some kind of postmortem on this game after it comes out, because this whole dev time must have been a cluster fuck.

Hesh

The ride is finally coming to an end

...and I'm still not going to have my goddamned Double Fine Adventure Boxed Set by the time I get Mighty No. 9.

Teknoman

Good. Now gimme my Famicom style backer box.

EDIT: And yes I like the base gameplay and the soundtrack from that early demo. He's got some pretty cool reflex actions.

@MUWANdo

Banned
*redesigning

Dude came into the project later.

No, he absolutely, unquestionably designed characters from scratch from the first game onwards.

Even the big shocking reveal that's supposed to prove that he's a hack--namely that he didn't direct the first two games and that he was only partially responsible for Mega Man's visual design--is something he freely admitted and the only reason so many people know about it is because he talked about it.

dity

No, he absolutely, unquestionably designed characters from scratch from the first game onwards.

Even the big shocking reveal that's supposed to prove that he's a hack--namely that he didn't direct the first two games and that he was only partially responsible for Mega Man's visual design--is something he freely admitted and the only reason so many people know about it is because he talked about it.

I don't think the dude is a hack, but I think he's given way more credit than is due. It's just when it comes down to "the only source is Inafune" there's not much room to move and you have no idea if it's dicky success-got-to-his-head Inafune finally trying to be humble after he realises he can't move mountains, or if it's just him trying to potentially pass blame for past misgivings.

I know he came into the project late. I know he's not the creator of Mega Man. I'm fairly certain he didn't get that "we'll just do what Inafune says" company culture until much later. He had a lot of rejected original designs. He didn't get things half his way until MMX, and totally his way until MMZ.

I don't believe Inafune is "just a business man", but I think he's a lot less better at what he does than people give him credit for. Not a hack, but just not great.

SalvaPot

3DS at a later date...?

QzPxCct.gif

Dremark

Banned
I mean if IGA can use his name to fund Bloodstained (and I think he has that right) and Sakamoto gets lots of praise for Super Metroid, I don't think Inafune using his name to fund MN9 is wrong.

I don't have an issue with Inafune, IGA or even Sakamoto using thier name to get backing on a project if they choose to.

The big difference is Inafune is often billed as the creator of the series where IGA and Sakamoto very rarely are and when they are this is generally corrected by people.

I'm not blaming Inafune for this either, it's a big misconception and I'm not sure if he fed into it or not.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah I'm a bit bummed out because of that mind boggling decision.

In late 2017 when this game is going to be released (at the earliest) the Vita and especially the WiiU will be dead in the water. I don't understand why even bother.

The two platforms were both stillborn anyway and everyone knew it when the kickstarter was done. People like the platforms and want to play games on it.

They have a separate developer working on those versions, received enough backing for them and the game doesn't exactly seem to be pushing the tech to a point where those platforms aren't viable. I don't really see an issue here.

I'll be happy when I'm actually playing the game, until then... I won't listen to anymore announcements or news updates. This has been going on for too long.

Onemic

I'll wait for reviews before I buy.

I havent seen any screens of the game. Is it close to the awesome concept art that was on their KS page? Please say yes....

Dremark

Banned
I'll wait for reviews before I buy.

I havent seen any screens of the game. Is it close to the awesome concept art that was on their KS page? Please say yes....

It's even better!

By better I mean no where near as good though.

vala

Dremark

Banned
For many years he called himself "the creator of Megaman" (literally) and he never mentioned the name of the actual creator, Akira Kitamura.

Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6AfvujrTE&t=11

BTW, if you want to know more about the creation of Megaman, read this interview with Kitamura.
http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

I wasn't aware and didn't want the blame the guy without being sure. I appreciate the clarification.

Shmuplations is such an awesome site BTW.

After these 3 years with delays, what little hype I had for
this game is about gone. Honestly until I see the game case on the
shelf for preorder, I don't believe this "set in stone" release date.

Top Bottom