• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 has gone gold. Confirmed release date of June 21 (3DS/PSV later date)

People forget the engine test also existed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M

Granted, it's a tech demo, but when you see, "placeholder assets," you don't expect the final game to look drastically worse. Between the concept art and engine test, they painted expectations for what the art style of the game would roughly resemble. The final game does not even resemble that. Fair game if people want to feel burned.

Lol I actually just rewatched the PS4 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkosvmZfqw

Like what happened.

drotahorror

I had never seen that trailer before a few posts above but it does look pretty good to me gameplay wise. The artstyle is just so bad, it's so unappealing. I do think it'll be a fun game though.

khaaan

People forget the engine test also existed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M

Granted, it's a tech demo, but when you see, "placeholder assets," you don't expect the final game to look drastically worse. Between the concept art and engine test, they painted expectations for what the art style of the game would roughly resemble. The final game does not even resemble that. Fair game if people want to feel burned.

Heh. "Total Dev Time: 7 Days"

I'm not upset that I backed the game, that it took so long, that the handheld versions (the one I picked) are coming later, or that it looks the way it does. From what I've played, it's a fun game that would have probably done quite well as a budget digital release ala Strider. What I would love to get more insight into is what exactly happened during the development process.

I mean if you want to ignore the old school Mega Man games, Inafune still took a producer role for many other games (like Battle Network or Onimusha) and those were being popped out at a yearly basis. The history of the development teams involved (Comcept and Inti Creates) have proven their competency in being able to develop a game of this nature.

One explanation I've seen repeated is that the inclusion of the handheld meant that they had to refactor their original vision to include the lowest common denominator. That might explain why the game looks the way it does but I still don't buy it as an explanation for why it took as long as it did. Even if Inafune himself was off making deals for Red Ash, ReCore and random Mighty No. 9 media tie ins it wouldn't have impacted the development work needed for Mighty No. 9, would it? I don't know what happened but it would be interesting to get a clearer picture.

MrBadger

Lol I actually just rewatched the PS4 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkosvmZfqw

Like what happened.

I feel like ending this trailer with "so what are you waiting for?" is just asking for snarky comments

Yeah...usually when someone says something to the tune of "THE GAME WILL NOT NECESSARILY LOOK LIKE THIS VIDEO, MOVE LIKE THIS VIDEO, OR ACT LIKE THIS VIDEO -- THIS IS A COMPLETELY ROUGH TEST ONLY, MADE IN LITERALLY ONE WEEK, USING ALL PLACEHOLDER ASSETS AND ANIMATION", they're not telling you to curb your expectations

bryt

I backed it 3 years ago for $20 and it says it's for a digital copy of the game, will I get to choose what version of the game I want? I want the PS4 version.

malfcn

Is it really gold? Day one patches?

I know day one patches are normal now, but they have had enough time to iron the title.

Steel

Banned
Honestly, the turn around time on this game is pretty reasonable when you think about it. Less than 3 years from concept art and almost nothing else to release.

Part of this reminds me of when Watch Dogs was delayed. At the time, I didn't have a PS4 or Xbone, so I would've gotten it on Wii U.

I really wanted to play this on vita. Guess not anymore. The Vita version (and possibly 3DS version) is gonna bomb.

Hilarious to think that 3 years ago, the Vita was quite a bit better off, so the prospect of it having MM9 made sense.....

:(

jackdoe

Even after all those delays, they still couldn't simultaneous release the handheld versions. Which is surprising because I thought those versions of the game were one of the main reasons for the numerous delays.

synce

Seeing as it's been 3 years in development I'm curious how long it'll take most people to beat. Wouldn't be shocked to see a wave of complaints

Qwark

They sent the survey out for that last year.

I'm pretty sure they've said they're going to do another survey since there were so many delays and a lot of people (myself included) never got the original survey to begin with.

I honestly can't remember which platform I chose when I backed this, so I don't know if I'm disappointed or not. This game is definitely the Kickstarter I've been the least excited about receiving.

spookyfish

q0J1D.gif

Perfect use of this.

The next-best use: "NX will launch worldwide in March 2017."

Luckydog

Even after all those delays, they still couldn't simultaneous release the handheld versions. Which is surprising because I thought those versions of the game were one of the main reasons for the numerous delays.

I thought I had read the main reason for the delay was multiplayer.

They felt they needed to make the game for every platform in the planet, so obviously they had to create a graphical standard that could be easily translated to every platform in the planet.

That test UE3 demo wasn't going to run on a vita or a PS3 for that matter.
And people didn't understand why some people were pissed at the prospect of Wii U/Vita versions of Bloodstained
Seeing as it's been 3 years in development I'm curious how long it'll take most people to beat. Wouldn't be shocked to see a wave of complaints
It's a Megaman spiritual sucessor, I think anyone expecting much more than a couple hours long campaign is gonna be pissed.

chrono01

Add me to the list of people who can't remember which platform they chose for their survey. I want to say I went with the PS4, but I'm not entirely sure. I hope they send out another one, since that's the console I'd prefer.

Yes, I'm still upset that I'm getting a digital copy with "physical" boxes from my pledge. We were told at the time that no physical copies would be made, so I went with all of the physical items I could to get as close of an experience to a physical copy as I could (so box, manual, even the damned USB key things!). Of course it was announced afterwards that a physical copy WAS coming after all, with no way to alter our pledges to switch from digital to physical. Thanks, ComCept! Oh well, at least I'll get that exclusive Beck transformation, that's...something?

I hope I get news soon of the rest of my rewards shipping out (art book, signed sketch, physical boxes/manuals/USB's, etc.). I spent a nice amount of money on this ($600+, what was I thinking?), and have only received two t-shirts, a poster, and a plushie so far. :/

Honestly, my excitement for the game has decreased quite a bit. I guess the constant delays and the overall aesthetic of the game (it doesn't have to look exactly like the concept art for me, but the game as it is just looks so...sterile) have changed my opinion on it. I'll still play it, since I've already made the purchase, but if I didn't I doubt I would have bought this at/near release.

And people didn't understand why some people were pissed at the prospect of Wii U/Vita versions of Bloodstained
Yeah I'm a bit bummed out because of that mind boggling decision.

In late 2017 when this game is going to be released (at the earliest) the Vita and especially the WiiU will be dead in the water. I don't understand why even bother.

One explanation I've seen repeated is that the inclusion of the handheld meant that they had to refactor their original vision to include the lowest common denominator. That might explain why the game looks the way it does but I still don't buy it as an explanation for why it took as long as it did. Even if Inafune himself was off making deals for Red Ash, ReCore and random Mighty No. 9 media tie ins it wouldn't have impacted the development work needed for Mighty No. 9, would it? I don't know what happened but it would be interesting to get a clearer picture.

I think for me the explanation is that the original Might No. 9 was a huge success on KS and Inafune's imagination went wild with the ideas of creating a very prolific studio and as a result got very much ahead of himself. He tried taking leaps on establishing brands and launching IPs much faster than anyone was ready for, and the rushed nature of the reveals put people off as it came off as trying to milk properties for all they were worth before a single game from Comcept even released.

Ravidrath

Doesn't matter, all the media attention is gonna be on NMS that week. Hard.

I'd be surprised if it's only a week.

After 1-2 of hard weeks of non-stop coverage, I'd imagine we're going to still see "Someone found this in NMS!" articles for a while, like the endless "Someone built <thing> in Minecraft!" articles.

It's a Megaman spiritual sucessor, I think anyone expecting much more than a couple hours long campaign is gonna be pissed.

Unless it's somehow significantly shorter than your standard Mega Man game, I'd be surprised if there was much of this, just because the people that backed it would have actually played Mega Man games before and understand how long they are.

khaaan

I think for me the explanation is that the original Might No. 9 was a huge success on KS and Inafune's imagination went wild with the ideas of creating a very prolific studio and as a result got very much ahead of himself. He tried taking leaps on establishing brands and launching IPs much faster than anyone was ready for, and the rushed nature of the reveals put people off as it came off as trying to milk properties for all they were worth before a single game from Comcept even released.

It did look like he was trying to pull another Mega Man NT Warrior (simultaneous game/anime/manga/etc. combo) but couldn't for one reason or another. It's unfortunate that this is how it's played out. Inafune's reputation took a huge hit but I also think that because of it, people are intent on being overly critical of the game even though (from the little I've played) the game is a perfectly fine not-Mega Man.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Just goes to show that sticking to the format of an NES game designed in the 80s isn't really necessary. Even when you're making a so-called spiritual successor. It wasn't really okay when actual Mega Man games kept doing it either.
I'm not saying a game like that has no right to exist, but the expectations evolve.

And as for putting it on every platform under the sun, well, then it should've been designed with that in mind on the visual level as well. Shantae atPC anyone?

Just goes to show that sticking to the format of an NES game designed in the 80s isn't really necessary. Even when you're making a so-called spiritual successor. It wasn't really okay when actual Mega Man games kept doing it either.
I'm not saying a game like that has no right to exist, but the expectations evolve.
Expectations evolve when the genre changes. How many modern arcadey-stage-based platformers last much longer than that?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Expectations evolve when the genre changes. How many modern arcadey-stage-based platformers last much longer than that?

The two new Rayman games were much bigger than that. The third Shantae and Shovel Knight wasn't but they're budget titles and the latter fixes that with alternative campaigns... in theory anyways. I wanna say that even Sonic Generations lasted longer than 2 hours. And if we include 3D you get Mario Galaxy from the get go.

The two new Rayman games were much bigger than that. The third Shantae and Shovel Knight wasn't but they're budget titles and the latter fixes that with alternative campaigns... in theory anyways. I wanna say that even Sonic Generations lasted longer than 2 hours. And if we include 3D you get Mario Galaxy from the get go.
So is this game.

Kid Ying

Yeah I'm a bit bummed out because of that mind boggling decision.

In late 2017 when this game is going to be released (at the earliest) the Vita and especially the WiiU will be dead in the water. I don't understand why even bother.
The situations are not comparable. In mn9 some mighy say the last gen version are holding the game back. In bloodstained, the game is being made by the best engine possible and being ported by another dev.

dity

Not really. Concept Art typically fleshes out characters and environments but is never meant to replicate actual gameplay.
Concept art isn't for gameplay. It's for visuals.

Also, they didn't even really explain that it'd be 2.5D. It's a complete bait and switch. You don't need a 2D gameplay artwork to show that's it's a sidescrolling Mega Man. Lotsa people who backed in the first 7 days probably didn't come back till after it was done too.

Ishida

Banned
Concept art isn't for gameplay. It's for visuals.

Also, they didn't even really explain that it'd be 2.5D. It's a complete bait and switch. You don't need a 2D gameplay artwork to show that's it's a sidescrolling Mega Man. Lotsa people who backed in the first 7 days probably didn't come back till after it was done too.

They explained the 2.5D part WAY before the Kickstarter ended. People had way too much time to withdraw their backing.

*Announces that the game went gold, releases it about seven weeks later*

Yeah, this still sounds like the game is delayed until summer to me. This is just a nicer way of telling us that.

Top Bottom