• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 has gone gold. Confirmed release date of June 21 (3DS/PSV later date)

Dremark

Banned
While its true he didn't straight up make Megaman, and I feel he's sufficiently walked that back and clarified that point in recent years, I feel you are still downplaying his contributions. The man had a big gameplay and narrative role on the series for most of its existence.

If I'm under playing his contributions it's not intentional. Later games he was a producer and had more impact on but the earlier games he was an artist. He didn't create the series/character or "make him big" but he had a role early on which grew over time.

Happy you are looking forward to the game :D! I hope the game ends up being a good time in the end.

The point you bolded is important because is shows Inafune cares more about making a series rather then making a great game. But I could be dead wrong here and will gladly eat my words when the game comes out to a success.

Infaune had a big role making Mega Man and his legacy should be noted, but like Naka's role with Sonic Team, it wasn't just him making the games that we all loved. Major plays at both Capcom and Sonic Team made what we love the most about the games (gameplay, music, level design, combat systems).

Inafune's role with Mega Man shouldn't be downplayed but he wasn't the only man behind the Blue Bomber, as was Naka being the only father of Sonic.

He actually had less of a role then even Naka. A lot of his actual role is hyperbole. Heck his biggest involvement was the Zero games.

tkscz

Will-Ferrell-I-dont-believe-you.gif

Came to post this

dity

And yet none of those are new games :p
And yet all of those are things being done with Mega Man, the character people are convinced is not being utilised but is ironically being utilised more than his successor who is supposed to fill the gap from Mega not being utilised

lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder if it will release on 360/PS3 or not. I especially wonder whether Bloodstained, slated for next year but likely to release 2018, will release on 360/PS3 or not.

He did neither of these things, and I am on Capcoms side 100% of any issue between the two.

You realize that aside from the sprite art for Mega Man himself, basically the entire look of the original game, both concept art and their eventual in-game graphics, was all Inafune?

Menitta

Part of me wonders, how would the development of this game gone if it didn't reach about $4 million. Would it have come out back in September (or even earlier) or would it have been cancelled?

dity

You realize that aside from the sprite art for Mega Man himself, basically the entire look of the original game, both concept art and their eventual in-game graphics, was all Inafune?
And yet Mega Man 2 is the titular title of the Classic series.

Uh huh. Sure, it will be released in June.

...is this the "Eventually" stage or the "Uh..." stage of broken promises? I lost count.

Can't wait until people finally get their hands on the game, declare it as mediocre, and Inafune/Comcept's only response is:

tumblr_mdxeklrcnQ1qj8u1do1_250.png

Dremark

Banned
I wonder if it will release on 360/PS3 or not. I especially wonder whether Bloodstained, slated for next year but likely to release 2018, will release on 360/PS3 or not.

It would take 9 months of delays to push Bloodstained back that far.

Also PS3/360 versions were never stated as being planned for it to the best of my knowledge.

And yet Mega Man 2 is the titular title of the Classic series.

Well, he was the lead character designer in that game too, so...?

Oh, I guess there was the fact that the Robot Masters starting from MM2 were pulled from fan art design contests, but he still took those characters, redesigned them in his own style, then brought them into the game.

Dremark

Banned

They usually call that being a character designer, not being the creator of the game.

Quonny

Well it certainly seems a ton of people want this game to fail. You, included.

If the game is bad I want it to fail because it should be a lesson.

If the game is good I'll play it and enjoy it, and that'll be that.

I never want a good game to fail unless they're doing something ethically wrong, so please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

nynt9

Wasn't the reason for one of the delays that they wanted to launch all platforms at the same time and each needed different fixes? I guess they gave up on that?

ArjanN

You know how Mega Man has immaculate level design, curated so that you are challenged but yet are able to apply corrections to your mistakes and get better with every playthrough? How you can feel that every enemy placement or jump has a reasoning or purpose?

That's not Mighty No. 9.

Eh, I've replayed the ones in the MM Legacy Collection recently and while they hold up better than most things from that era honestly they all have some pretty rough spots.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That's a badly written PR. Lots of redundies. I also don't think 3 different forms of apologies will make up for frustrations over the delays. The only thing that will make up for it is for the game to be really good. Scratch that, the network mode being good and worthy is what might justify it.

If that's the case, then good on Inafune. If not, and that's my gut feeling, then I don't see him capable of persuading anymore big crowdfunded projects. And rightfully so.

Eh, I've replayed the ones in the MM Legacy Collection recently and while they hold up better than most things from that era honestly they all have some pretty rough spots.

No game is perfect, and memorization is a little on the explicit side, but it doesn't feel as haphazard as Mighty No.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think this game will fail miserably both in ratings/reviews and commercially...
Hopfully not. I like 8-4 team.

Maybe it's because I didn't put money into this, but I just don't get the level of vitriol aimed at this game. Sure development took longer but that seems to happen a lot with games in general and especially with Kickstarter games, it seems. Like just how many platforms were they simultaneously developing this for? Each one will have its own quirks to work out and certification process to go through.

I seem to recall backing Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero at about the same time, instead of Mighty No. 9, and that game still isn't out. I don't recall seeing the same kind of gnashing of teeth over that.

Dremark

Banned
Yes.

Ah, not sure why I had thought that was one that was cross-gen! Thanks.

9 months is a lot of delay for someone who used to crank these out yearly while working on other projects. I guess we'll see what happens though, and it's not like you're going to be disappointed if it ships earlier.

Most of the projects like this seem to be crossgen though, I can't really blame you for thinking this was too.

Lothars

Maybe it's because I didn't put money into this, but I just don't get the level of vitriol aimed at this game. Sure development took longer but that seems to happen a lot with games in general and especially with Kickstarter games, it seems. Like just how many platforms were they simultaneously developing this for? Each one will have its own quirks to work out and certification process to go through.

I seem to recall backing Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero at about the same time, instead of Mighty No. 9, and that game still isn't out. I don't recall seeing the same kind of gnashing of teeth over that.
Yes that's why, This game that was playable so far wasn't that good, It 's been just a constant stream of dissapointment especially with all the delays.

maybe the game will be great but it's more of wait and see. I would have got a refund if I could have. I don't care about this game anymore.

What does it even mean to "go gold" in this day and age? If it's done, just flip the switch on Steam. I guess some platforms need time to pass validation, but there's not a damned thing stopping them from just dropping the PC version immediately.

Top Bottom