• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 has gone gold. Confirmed release date of June 21 (3DS/PSV later date)

Finally.
It feels like it's been ages since the Kickstarter finished.

Ishida said:
YES!!

Fuck the hate this game gets on GAF. I'm so looking forward to play this! If Capcom is not giving me Mega Man, then I will take a spiritual successor from the guy who nurtured the series since the beginning.
I'm with you there.
And not only with the hate on GAF but on the whole world. For some reason, people don't like the idea of the guy, who created Megaman (or at least made him big), creating a substitute game because the original company, who owns the IP, does fuck all with him.

Quonny

And not only with the hate on GAF but on the whole world. For some reason, people don't like the idea of the guy, who created Megaman (or at least made him big), creating a substitute game because the original company, who owns the IP, does fuck all with him.

You're delusional if you think this is the reason people are rolling their eyes.

TimmiT

I was incredibly excited for Mighty No. 9 until I actually got to play it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

For some reason backers are angry at a kickstarter campaign that does not value communication with its backers. Also lackluster demo and Red Ash, etc.

Next time don't tell fantasy stories and actually follow the issues.

dity

Finally.

I'm with you there.

We're getting a 2017 MM cartoon, he's in Smash, and we got the first six games on Steam in amazing quality.

RK128

Finally.

I'm with you there.

Its not because Inafune is making a successor to Mega Man, but all the stuff OUTSIDE of the game dragging it across the mud.

-Consistent delays
-Multi-media ventures announced well before the game launched (TV Show, Movie)
-Another kickstarter by same producer (Red Ash) announced BEFORE MN9 even released

Those above factors gave the game a toxic branding and I hope when it releases finally, that is removed if the game is good.

We're getting a 2017 MM cartoon, he's in Smash, and we got the first six games on Steam in amazing quality.

and PS4, Xbox One and 3DS. Though I don't think a collection of 6 games inferior to a PS2 collection with 7 games + extras is much to boast about.

Krammy

For some reason, people don't like the idea of the guy, who created Megaman (or at least made him big), creating a substitute game because the original company, who owns the IP, does fuck all with him.

Yes, some reason.

It's definitely not that the graphics seem to have been held back for no other reason than aiming for the lowest common denominator, or the fact that he launched an animated series before finishing the game, or that it was delayed to high heaven after being announced that the project was at it's end, or the fact that Inafune launched two more Kickstarter projects before giving people what they paid for on the first one, or the fact that he waited until the last minute to announce that he didn't actually need funding for the later project.

I mean, surely there has to be some reason people are mad?

EDIT: And that's not even going into the gameplay itself, which most people don't even seem to enjoy either.

Dremark

Banned
I'm with you there.

He didn't really create Megaman, he adapted an existing in game design into an illustration. He didn't really "make him big" either, he was an artist and eventually did some game planning. After that he became a suit who would offer some direction to the product.

This isn't to downplay or overplay his contributions. The guy isn't a game designer and he didn't really design the character either, but he has his place in the series history before becoming an executive. This seems to be a major point of confusion in general.

Steel

Banned
Gave $5 to the kickstarter cause I appreciated Soul Sacrifice but didn't actually have any interest in the project itself. Interested to see how it turns out.

me0wish

You know how Mega Man has immaculate level design, curated so that you are challenged but yet are able to apply corrections to your mistakes and get better with every playthrough? How you can feel that every enemy placement or jump has a reasoning or purpose?

That's not Mighty No. 9.

You mean MN9 is like most of Inti-Crates games?

Quality over quantity. MMAC was a hobbled together mess, like the MMXC.

True but I hope we can expect more from Mega Man than another compilation of older games. At the very least 9 and 10 should be rebundled. I'm hopeful that this is the year a Mega Man game will make it to E3.

TimmiT

He didn't really create Megaman, he adapted an existing in game design into an illustration. He didn't really "make him big" either, he was an artist and eventually did some game planning. After that he became a suit who would offer some direction to the product.

This isn't to downplay or overplay his contributions. The guy isn't a game designer and he didn't really design the character either, but he has his place in the series history before becoming an executive. This seems to be a major point of confusion in general.

Yeah, I don't really get why Inafune is so often called the creator Mega Man. Aside from the games being group efforts and not the creation of one single person, it's not like he had much of a hand in the level design and such. The main thing he did was character design.

yoshiunity

vzAivYB.gif

It's been so long that I've actually forgotten which platform I said I wanted it for.

And here's to hoping they actually ship rewards. My faith in them is pretty much nothing, at this point.

dity

True but I hope we can expect more from Mega Man than another compilation of older games. At the very least 9 and 10 should be rebundled. I'm hopefully that this is the year a Mega Man game will make it to E3.
It'd be nice if the cartoon graces us with a new game in some form, and maybe some revived interest in the franchise.

Krammy

And here's to hoping they actually ship rewards. My faith in them is pretty much nothing, at this point.

Some rewards have already been shipped out. I have a couple packages that I have yet to open, but I think it's a plush toy and some posters or something. Still waiting on that drawing I paid $300 for. RIP.

RK128

True but I hope we can expect more from Mega Man than another compilation of older games. At the very least 9 and 10 should be rebundled. I'm hopefully that this is the year a Mega Man game will make it to E3.

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom announces a new Mega Man game or at least teases a reboot-series coming next year. I really feel they will start the series fresh again with Classic as a base and the new game pulling from every incarnation of the Blue Bomber (X Series with his moveset, Battle Network series with custom chip system, Classic series with level structure, Legends series with core 3D mechanics, ect).

But I think we will see another collection with Mega Man announced (Mega Man X Legacy Collection) and the first glimpse at the upcoming TV show.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Finally. I stopped believing I would have this game by this decade.

With all the delays, I hope they have improved the graphics and animations... I don't buy the initial reasons for delay (online mode bugs) one bit. The game was probably not in a good state by the original release date of Sept. 2015. There was a lot promotion, online and offline, for the September release to just to delayed it for online mode bugs. A patch down the line could've fixed that.

Yeah, I don't really get why Inafune is so often called the creator Mega Man. Aside from the games being group efforts and not the creation of one single person, it's not like he had much of a hand in the level design and such. The main thing he did was character design.

Well, I mean, giving actual form to the characters is a pretty major contribution. He did create all the MM1 masters on his own, and the basic enemies are more or less all his design.

And then there's the fact that he took a much more direct overseer role after Akira Kitamura, the original Mega Man project lead, left after a couple of games.

Someone else may have technically "created" Mega Man, but much like Yuji Naka with Sonic, Inafune took the reins of the horse and turned it into what we know and love today.

Qwark

It's been so long that I've actually forgotten which platform I said I wanted it for.

They're going to redo the platform survey, right? I never got my first survey at all, and I would really like to get a PS4 code instead of PC.

Dremark

Banned

He's called the creator because he kind of sort of designed the character and he gets the credit for the series because he's the visible one.

For example Yuji Naka generally gets credited as the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog because he was the leader of the project. Naoto Oshima designed the character and Hirokazu Yasuhara designed the gameplay and levels.

So is Naka the creator? Depends how you want to look at it. It takes a lot of twisted logic to credit Inafune though.

Phamit

Seriously how many times was this delayed?

About 3 times

The original estimation was April 2015, in April 2015 they announced they would work with Deep Silver and Release the game in September. End of Juli / August they delayed the game to feb 2016, in January they announced another delay to spring 2016

The second delay was problematic, because they didn't announced it because of the Red Ash Kickstarter

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
When they announced the last delay, they said they wanted to make a new survey closer to release

Well that's good. I remember getting a survey for Half-Genie Hero and I can even dig up a "Backerkit" link in my e-mail that shows I'm getting it for the Wii U and will eventually be provided with a link to the soundtrack.

But for Mighty No. 9 I never remember receiving a platform survey. Mighty No. 9 is listed on my Humble Bundle purchases page I assume that's where download links for the soundtrack and manual will eventually go up, but there's nothing there signifying what platform I'll be receiving it on.

I can't help but feel like the default code you'll get if you didn't receive the survey will be for Steam/PC, but that does me absolutely no good as I don't have a Gaming PC.

Here's hoping that new survey does eventually go out.

Ishida

Banned
Well, I mean, giving actual form to the characters is a pretty major contribution. He did create all the MM1 masters on his own, and the basic enemies are more or less all his design.

And then there's the fact that he took a much more direct overseer role after Akira Kitamura, the original Mega Man project lead, left after a couple of games.

Someone else may have technically "created" Mega Man, but much like Yuji Naka with Sonic, Inafune took the reins of the horse and turned it into what we know and love today.

Well said. Not even GAF can change my opinion on the guy.

Crocodile

So it technically did get delayed to Summer LOL

Looking forward to this :)

And yet none of those are new games :p

Its not because Inafune is making a successor to Mega Man, but all the stuff OUTSIDE of the game dragging it across the mud.

-Consistent delays
-Multi-media ventures announced well before the game launched (TV Show, Movie)
-Another kickstarter by same producer (Red Ash) announced BEFORE MN9 even released

Those above factors gave the game a toxic branding and I hope when it releases finally, that is removed if the game is good.

One day I'll figure out why anyone cares about the bolded. It's not like it took any money or resources from the actual creation of the game. You can argue whether it was smart from a branding/IP vantage point but I care about the game - to which such ventures are irrelevant.

While its true he didn't straight up make Megaman, and I feel he's sufficiently walked that back and clarified that point in recent years, I feel you are still downplaying his contributions. The man had a big gameplay and narrative role on the series for most of its existence.

Hmmm...when they asked way back when, I told them that I wanted the Wii U version (best controller + off TV play). Then I started thinking I should have gone for PS4 (best visuals)...but lately I've been playing Vita more than anything...I wonder if it's worth holding out to see how that version turns out?

Some rewards have already been shipped out. I have a couple packages that I have yet to open, but I think it's a plush toy and some posters or something. Still waiting on that drawing I paid $300 for. RIP.

I went for the physical boxed copy. Makes sense that I wouldn't have received it yet, I guess.

Dremark

Banned

His role in the series is a lot closer to what IGA is to Castlevania or more accurately Sakamoto is to Metroid where the worked on the series and ended up calling the shots on it after a while.

It's difficult to really communicate that without a huge explanation though.

mrmickfran

Fucking finally.

That's an ugly time to release it though.

In June I got Odin Sphere, Guilty Gear, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Zero Escape 3.

Damn what a crowded month.

Luckydog

Fucking finally.

That's an ugly time to release it though.

In June I got Odin Sphere, Guilty Gear, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Zero Escape 3.

Damn what a crowded month.

At least they finally got it out. I'm sure people who actually backed it would be pissed if it was delayed more just for a better time slot.....

Finally.

I'm with you there.

You can't be serious. The announcement of this game was met with rapturous responses. People only turned on it after the target renders were revealed to be a total lie and the game was delayed countless times while they kept asking for more and more money with little to show for it.

As an original backer, I've been on board for the whole ride. I barely even care anymore.

RK128

So it technically did get delayed to Summer LOL

Looking forward to this :)

One day I'll figure out why anyone cares about the bolded. It's not like it took any money or resources from the actual creation of the game. You can argue whether it was smart from a branding/IP vantage point but I care about the game - to which such ventures are irrelevant.

While its true he didn't straight up make Megaman, and I feel he's sufficiently walked that back and clarified that point in recent years, I feel you are still downplaying his contributions. The man had a big gameplay and narrative role on the series for most of its existence.

Happy you are looking forward to the game :D! I hope the game ends up being a good time in the end.

The point you bolded is important because is shows Inafune cares more about making a series rather then making a great game. But I could be dead wrong here and will gladly eat my words when the game comes out to a success.

Infaune had a big role making Mega Man and his legacy should be noted, but like Naka's role with Sonic Team, it wasn't just him making the games that we all loved. Major plays at both Capcom and Sonic Team made what we love the most about the games (gameplay, music, level design, combat systems).

Inafune's role with Mega Man shouldn't be downplayed but he wasn't the only man behind the Blue Bomber, as was Naka being the only father of Sonic.

Kneefoil

I'm probably more interested in seeing how the game will be received after all of these delays than I am in actually playing the game. I'm expecting to see a lot of shit flinging at the game, though I personally thought the one beta I played was alright. The reviews are likely going to be mixed.

Anyway, having a concrete release date at least made me look forward to playing the full game again. I'm probably never going to back anything by Inafune/Comcept ever again, though. >_>

Top Bottom