• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

Crayolan

This is the game that is going to make people wary of Kickstarters for good

More like the game that gets teams serious about Kickstarter to up the quality of their initial campaign and be more transparent with their backers. Games like Shovel Knight and Undertale were kickstarters and they turned out wildly successful.

jmaine_ph

Eurogamer
A tribute to and evolution of Keiji Infaune's Mega Man, Mighty No. 9's moments of brilliance are tempered by its preposterous challenge.

Money doesn't buy quality. There's been games that cost more that review just as badly if not worse. Annoying seeing the price tag constantly thrown around.

I know that I'm talking about all the people burned by backing this game and them getting burned on it.

It seems to me that this game was kickstarted by people on a nostalgia trip, but they ended up making what feels like a bad kids game for 10-year-olds. Have no idea what they were thinking.

Mattenth

If anyone's interested, here's the graph of a couple hundred score predictions (read: total guesses) on OpenCritic prior to the embargo:

Zxvl1xT.png

Surprised it's not even making 60 though...

Reviews weren't as savage as expected... I'm still looking forward to playing the game, I enjoyed the PC "beta" released last year, and do want to play more. Pity that any chance of a decent new Mega Man styled series is probably dead in the water now, I'd be somewhat surprised if this gets a sequel.

chrono01

It seems to me that this game was kickstarted by people on a nostalgia trip, but they ended up making what feels like a bad kids game for 10-year-olds. Have no idea what they were thinking.
At least Iga is making a true "Igavania" with Bloodstained (judging from the demo videos), and not the bastardization of Mega Man Inafune came up with for MN9.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I can speak from total experience but from what I've heard and the ones I've been part of, good communication is always one of the best signs for a kickstarter probably being successful.(For those wondering about Shenmue/Bloodstained)

woopWOOP

Game looks average
5/6 out of 10 is a pretty average score
Sounds about right

I'm not as angry about the 4 million dollars, but it's a bit disappointing how it turned out.
Maybe it'll really be like Mega Man and the team will go up and beyond for MN9-2, but good luck getting that project funded ;D

Wagram

Just an example of what happens when you torture people endlessly with a product only for it to release and be nothing other than mediocre.

Will this happen again this year? Time will tell.

kurahador

Really should have cut out that multiplayer mode, and not using Unity.

Also...were there any kickstarter games from japanese developers that deliver?

chrono01

I know it was concept art, but god damn.

gsfnfzl.jpg

I wish this game had turned out well.
It's not even the concept art, look at this demo video released by Inti Creates during the Kickstarter. It took them seven days to complete.

D48ZJXE.gif

I have a feeling Inti Creates wanted to stick close to the gameplay present in the above .gif, but Inafune wanted to mix things about (with the dashing, score system, etc.), hence the monstrosity we received. Of course we'll likely never know exactly what went wrong with MN9...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have a feeling Inti Creates wanted to stick close to the gameplay present in the above .gif, but Inafune wanted to mix things about (with the dashing, score system, etc.), hence the monstrosity we received. Of course we'll likely never know exactly what went wrong with MN9...

It'll sure be interesting to see the rest of the documentary!

It's not even the concept art, look at this demo video released by Inti Creates during the Kickstarter. It took them seven days to complete.

D48ZJXE.gif

How does this look twice as good as the final product

they really ruined this game by making it for every platform in existence

Maxinas

This is the game that is going to make people wary of Kickstarters for good

With kickstarter, it's really 50/50. Though i agree that this will hopefully make people wary that you shouldn't put all your trust into even the most well known developers. This will be a blow to Inafunes credibility.

Top Bottom