• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Will Not Release In 2015 (According to GameInformer)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I like the sentiment but ti's not a business problem. It's a technical one. The guys doing Open FL (the engine my game ultimately runs on top of) are working on a console export but I wouldn't make promises until I see it all working in the end.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

I know my laptop can run it, I just prefer to game on my consoles. But if it doesn't end up on them, I'll have to make due. Can't pass up a love letter to Super Metroid.

Like I said, you should try to visit past MN9 and see what it was before demanding people that don't go inmediatly to the hate train to have self control.

Just like SFV threads where people shitpost about the Xbone version never coming. Just like most Capcom threads filled with "crapcom". Just like Nintendo threads where people call it kiddie.

I mean, have you tried asking them nicely? That could work.

Anyway, if it is delayed, I'd love to see some retooling of the level design. Enemies felt more "there" and as part of the dash mechanic than both that and smart placement.

To this day, I'm still blown away people backed this project. Capcom is in this sad state because of Inafune. All the shitty decisions, and out sourcing games to Western developers was the work of Inafune. I laughed when I saw the kickstarter thinking people would turn away from it. Turns out I was wrong, and it got funded.

Never mind Capcom still made shitty decisions after Inafune departure. Never mind you are a mean spirited jerk by "I laughted when I saw this"...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The saga continues. Will Inafune ever gain back the good will he's lost over the past year?
MN9 and Red Ash would have to be utterly mindblowing in order to wash the stink away.

Compare how mighty no. 9 looks to the upcoming Jetpack Squad which is being made by 2 dudes.

NaughtyFixedKakarikis.gif
Just looked up video for this and holy shit! The gif was already cool, but it didn't really do it justice.

Both the visuals and gameplay look fantastic! Everything just pops. And only done by two guys. MN9 looks embarrassing in comparison.

Vire

The saga continues. Will Inafune ever gain back the good will he's lost over the past year?
MN9 and Red Ash would have to be utterly mindblowing in order to wash the stink away.

Just looked up video for this and holy shit! The gif was already cool, but it didn't really do it justice.

Both the visuals and gameplay look fantastic! Everything just pops. And only done by two guys. MN9 looks embarrassing in comparison.

The controls and gameplay look phenomenal but I'm not a fan of the main character design at all.

Oh, its from the developers of intrusion 2. That game was pretty good, should pick it up and finish it.

Why doesn't this surprise me, like at all...
I've w8ed long enough for this game but I guess I don't really care anymore, the game probably looks even more bland than it did before.

Neither does the reasoning behind this game's delays. More money please!

Well, because THERE IS JUST SPECULATION.

1- Is a buggy mess

2.- Not enough money to finish it at time.

In any case, the cheaper option is released whaetever actual state is (if it was actually delayed).

faridmon

If they delay the game based on feedback and overall to make it a better game, then I am all for it.
A delayed game > Bad game released now

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, you should try to visit past MN9 and see what it was before demanding people that don't go inmediatly to the hate train to have self control.

The criticisms of Inafune and his projects are perfectly valid. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't give you the right to shout down everyone who does.

And I follow Sonic threads, so I know a thing or two about drive-by shitposting.

The criticisms of Inafune and his projects are perfectly valid. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't give you the right to shout down everyone who does.

And I follow Sonic threads, so I know a thing or two about drive-by shitposting.

Well, thats why I don't follow Sonic threads...

FatalT

Banned
Well, because THERE IS JUST SPECULATION.

1- Is a buggy mess

2.- Not enough money to finish it at time.

In any case, the cheaper option is released whaetever actual state is (if it was actually delayed).

That may be true but a little transparency would be nice when you've already taken loads of money from people and not given them anything in return.

That may be true but a little transparency would be nice when you've already taken loads of money from people and not given them anything in return.

If it's being delayed, I imagine the reason they're not telling backers because they feel it will reflect poorly on Red Ash.

But that boat has sailed, abandoned, and set on fire at this point.

faridmon

Holy shit this game looks amazing. How come I hear about it now?

Jetpack Squad looks like what 1993 me thought games would look like in the 2000s and beyond. That would have been a killer graphical style to go with for something that is fairly dependent on nostalgia for games from that era.

MrBadger

To this day, I'm still blown away people backed this project. Capcom is in this sad state because of Inafune. All the shitty decisions, and out sourcing games to Western developers was the work of Inafune. I laughed when I saw the kickstarter thinking people would turn away from it. Turns out I was wrong, and it got funded.

To most people, the scenario was "Capcom no longer make Megaman, one of the original creators of Megaman is making a successor". It's no big surprise it got funded because of anti-capcom memes.

faridmon

Jetpack Squad looks like what 1993 me thought games would look like in the 2000s and beyond. That would have been a killer graphical style to go with for something that is fairly dependent on nostalgia for games from that era.

I don't have any nostalgia from any of those eras and I think it looks amazing. Great artstyle and animated objects that actually pops out while also blend together with its soft colour style and wonderful animation.

Kusagari

People also seem to ignore the fact that it was Inafune who pushed for Dead Rising and Lost Planet at the beginning of the generation, which led to praise heaped on Capcom for being the one Japanese company that got next gen.

Crocodile

If it's being delayed, I imagine the reason they're not telling backers because they feel it will reflect poorly on Red Ash.

The kicker is that IF there is a delay and IF there is a good reason for said delay I would like to think that being honest about it, being explicit on why there is a delay and if its to improve the game be every explicit in how they intend to do so could have earned them a lot of good will as people who "listen to criticism" or "care about our backers", etc. It might have alleviated the "we got tricked" sentiment some have with MN9. It think this is a case where silence (again ASSUMING this game is delayed and ASSUMING they aren't being clear about it because of Red Ash) is doing nobody any good.

I'm still willing to assume this is more the folly of Kickstarters giving estimated release dates - a ridiculous idea 100% of the time for games - than the project going to hell, but even then, it's hard to not get a little worried.

Having a projected release date is a necessary evil despite the problems that can arise from it. Asking people to drop potential hundreds on something that doesn't exist yet is already difficult, and I guess they feel like it adds to the legitimacy of their pitch. Hopefully they come out and say why the game was delayed, though. I didn't back it, but I'm interested in trying the full game out.

The stages do indeed look cool, I'm not a big fan of the character and enemies design though. Also, the game doesn't even play like a Megaman title so I really fail to see how an argument like "hey, this game looks pretty cool therefore MN9 is a scam" can be made. Sure, nobody said "scam" but outside of GAF that argument is pretty common. Even worse is the fact that people act as if the game has already been released and it was a terrible title even though the media agrees that it is a solid game based on the build shown during the past E3.

Maybe they mean the physical versions? It is seemingly GameStop who is passing this info down, really the only versions they would really care about.

From the other delay thread a week ago.

"Hey guys! Just received word from Nick that it's a mistake. Looks like there was just some miscommunication, no need to worry. The release date is the same!"

15/9/2015 for US and 18/9/2015 for rest of the world!

I like to think a producer will not lie when the release date is so close, and we will find out he lie.

We will see how it ends.

Yeah, this is more or less the kind of response I had in mind.

I admit I was caught up in the MN9 hype because I was in full "fuck Capcom" mode. But things have really changed over time.
No joke, that was exactly the first post I made when the KS launched.

I too am dissapointed on how Inafune chosen to go about both his KS, especially having squandered the last of the goodwill on MML's successor. But I still have faith that MN9 will turn out decent at the very least, and will hold my full judgement until it's released.

I'm surprised at the vitrolic response this delay has recieved however:

"Game looks shit. Glad I didn't back this"

*game is delayed*

"FUCK YOU INAFUNE Never trusting him again!!"

...leaves me scratching my head. Sure you have to wait longer, but delays usually indicate an increase in quality. Would people rather a shitty looking game get released now, versus a delay that may improve it? Makes me feel like there a bit of bandwagin hate.

Nydius

From the other delay thread a week ago.

"Hey guys! Just received word from Nick that it's a mistake. Looks like there was just some miscommunication, no need to worry. The release date is the same!"

15/9/2015 for US and 18/9/2015 for rest of the world!

I like to think a producer will not lie when the release date is so close, and we will find out he lie.

We will see how it ends.

Astroturf Weekly - (WINNER) Most Supportive Non-Employee, July 2015

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087029

Too soon?

MrHoot

Having played the betas several time, the last being at Japan Expo in Paris, i'm still satisfied by the game myself. Gameplay wise, it's what I wanted.

Presentation wise....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. It's clearly not as pretty as I envisionned but it's far from the worse honestly. It's fun to play, it's inoffensive to the eyes, it's slightly too campy sometimes but honestly, it's passable. On the other hand it felt tight as hell. Extremely precise.

This is maybe a game that will fit more on my handheld. Something that's not blowing me away visually but will be EXTREMELY fun to have on the go.

As far as Inafune himself, i'm really sad and disappointed that his good creative senses are withering. He had a pretty shitty way of marketing himself recently. Most of all the Red Ash thing was a disaster, PR wise. I guess I won't be backing any of his future projects (although shame, I fucking adore Soul Sacrifice Delta from Comcept)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is why I've never back a VG kickstarter. This game looks terrible, and I was a pretty big MM fan as a kid.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I want each and every GOTY 2015 awards that the award-winning Mighty No. 9 won to be stripped from it and given to the rightful owner---Codename S.T.E.A.M!

KingBroly

Banned

I feel like they're on the same boat at this point. Mighty No 9 is why they did the Red Ash kickstarter prematurely, and because of its' lack of success is probably why they had to get external funding to do it and/or polish up Mighty No 9.

The issue with Mighty No 9 is that they tried to put more stuff into the game that people simply had no desire for them to do, like voice acting, an in-depth (?) story; you know, things people don't associate with, want or need out of a Mega Man game.

The focus on branching the IP out before the game even shipped just made everything Inafune has touched worse as time has gone on.

I mean, if that gaffer made game captures the feeling of a 2d platformer better than MN9, than there's no foul there.

While admitting that there is a difference between 3D models and 2D. Not mention it was not even a MegaMan clone but for some reason we need to compare to shit in Inafune while we call others users astrosurfers.

That sounds fair to you?

What about this game could possibly explain the amount of development time it's taken? Mega Man clone. Cool. I thought this was a solved problem at this point.

Totally hope I'm eating crow when this comes out and it's like a super polished Mega Man Metroidvania or something.

finalflame

First game I backed, too. So fucking bitter. What the fuck is taking so long? The game is a goddamn side scroller. Fuck.

Top Bottom