• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos' "Bad And Boujee" Hits #1 On Billboard Hot 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Rebel

So, what, you're obliged to love every new thing in the rap scene or you're wack? C'mon son.

wIac3VT.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know a song is lit when both the the shit talking at the start and the beat drop are of A+ quality.

As soon as you hear that RAIN DROPS

raw

Dude seriously. It's sad. A bunch of losers jump into these threads to circle jerk about their hatred of what's current in rap music. It's like they're proud of being fucking wack

If you dont like it, just dont post. Dont even open the thread. Just go home or something

damn, why you so mad that not everyone loves this dumb as fuck song?

NandoGip

Actually they do. All you have to do is visit pop-gaf to find out. It's the same thing over there when they see someone like Beiber shoot up the charts. And yes, it is alright to be upset at Migos for continuing the hook rap trend as some people are. It's not about shit posting but having a decent discussion about why this happened. What's 'wack'(who even says this word anymore) is having a sneaker-head style mentality about rap like you're having now. Gotta bump that new radio hit and download a trash artist's mixtape in order to feel cool and fit in, right?

Where I'm from people say wack all the time

My point is: not liking Migos isn't what's lame. Dislike whatever you want. I think J. Cole sucks, even though objectively he is very talented. I'm not saying that you are lame for disliking Migos.

My point is: shitposting how the music sucks every single thread is fucking lame

damn, why you so mad that not everyone loves this dumb as fuck song?

It's the internet, I'm not really that mad. I'm bored at work right now and this is a nice distraction

PixelatedBookake

I don't really get the hype behind this track. It bumps in the car and shit but it's nothing I'd listen to on purpose. Good for clubs, but I'm not too big on it.

Ivan 3414

I don't want people to misunderstand, I don't hate mumble rap nor hook rap

Why do you keep bringing up "mumble-rap/hook-rap" when Migos are neither of those types of artists

They don't mumble and the flow they have in their actual verses, not their hooks, literally changed how people rap in today's landscape

What are you even talking about

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you keep bringing up "mumble-rap/hook-rap" when Migos are neither of those types of artists

They don't mumble and the flow they have in their actual verses, not their hooks, literally changed how people rap in today's landscape

What are you even talking about

Migos is hook rap. Look at most of the comments about the song, it's about the hook. Ask someone you know who listens to this song what the lyrics are past the hook. Hell, ask them if they think the song is actually called 'Rain drop, drop top' and not Bad and Boujee. It was the same story with their last hit song too. I'm not saying they don't have flow, but they are the definition of hook rap.

Dude seriously. It's sad. A bunch of losers jump into these threads to circle jerk about their hatred of what's current in rap music. It's like they're proud of being fucking wack

If you dont like it, just dont post. Dont even open the thread. Just go home or something

This post is wack

zon

Dude this isnt a hip hop thread, its a thread about migos. If you dont like them kick rocks. If I posted a thread about how Captain America hit the top of the movies chart and literally 80% of the thread was lames posting 5 word comments about how garbage they thought it was, the thread would be deleted.

If you don't like it, I really don't care. It's the fact that theres no where to discuss this type of music on the internet without 90% of the topic being dudes circle jerking about their hatred towards Atlanta hip hop.

I don't mind migos, good on them for being successful. But it sounds more like you want an echo chamber and not any kind of discussion if you get upset whenever some people don't like them and say so in a thread about them.

Actually they do. All you have to do is visit pop-gaf to find out. It's the same thing over there when they see someone like Beiber shoot up the charts. And yes, it is alright to be upset at Migos for continuing the hook rap trend as some people are. It's not about shit posting but having a decent discussion about why this happened. What's 'wack'(who even says this word anymore) is having a sneaker-head style mentality about rap like you're having now. Gotta bump that new radio hit and download a trash artist's mixtape in order to feel cool and fit in, right?

Just seems like a really remedial reason to be upset. Like if you don't like it...don't listen to it? I hate deathmetal music but I'm not angry at it's existence, I simply don't listen to it.

Novel idea sure, but it's worth trying.

I grew up on Chicago artists like Kanye and Common mid to late 2000s. They made me also discover bone thugs, then tupac, then nas, then drake, Kendrick, chance, etc. I fell in love with good lyrics and more soulful sounds. I didn't really feel that south influence/drill music growing up until I heard Chief Keef rise in popularity. And compared to the path of music I went down you can see why I would think an artist like Chief Keef is trash(with one or two decent hits).

No doubt, I think the main thing is to look at these guys through the lens of doing a regional sound that has become mainstream. I think the only reason i can appreciate them is due to the cultural context of Atlanta's club/strip club and dance scene of the 90's, 00's, 10's. I thought Jeezy, and Gucci Mane was wack as fuck when they started buzzing in Atlanta, but you go out enough, drinking, getting lit, dancing with women to these songs; sooner or later they start becoming your jams. LOL

However if you're only engaging this music through your headsets, then you're definitely not going to get much out of it as you would from listening to a J.Cole, Kendrick, or Kanye.

To me these guys are the Miami Bass/Atlanta Booty Shake rappers of the late 80's/90's. Whereas Atlanta Booty Shake music was thought to have died, but didn't and got mixed with the themes of gangsta rap and east coast materialism and evolved to crunk, snap, and trap.

lol @ bougie being anything new. Seriously, some of you never heard of anything being called bougie at all? Bourgeoisie?

Anyway, song is dope/catchy. If you want lyricism, there's plenty of that out there.

Nah, if you're White i can definitely understand if you never heard of Bougie. It is indeed a variation of the word Bourgeoisie just with the African American vernacular pronunciation of it, where it has become it's own term with unique meaning within African American culture.

It's kinda similar to Hoe which really isn't a variation of the term but a straight up African American vernacular pronunciation of the word Whore, which gained its frequency of use in Black communities through the 70's urban pimps and Blaxploitation movies, but look how popular the term Hoe has become and is used now in the Mainstream, instead of Whore.

Offset is the Star of the song, I don't know why everyone keeps saying Quavo is...

"Still be playin with pots and pans, call me Quavo Ratatouille" makes the song though

Migos is hook rap. Look at most of the comments about the song, it's about the hook. Ask someone you know who listens to this song what the lyrics are past the hook. Hell, ask them if they think the song is actually called 'Rain drop, drop top' and not Bad and Boujee. It was the same story with their last hit song too. I'm not saying they don't have flow, but they are the definition of hook rap.

Yeah they're hook based because they emphasize flow over lyrics. For such technical skill they tend to fall back on bland trap rap lyrics when they should be searching for more stand out funny lines

NandoGip

I don't mind migos, good on them for being successful. But it sounds more like you want an echo chamber and not any kind of discussion if you get upset whenever some people don't like them and say so in a thread about them.

scroll up and you can see my response, feel free to say I'm upset but my posts aren't any worse than useless comments like "Just unlistenable."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Exactly

Offset's verse single-handedly shows why there's no need for Quavo to go solo
They should stay as a group, but Quavo has been murdering verses this year and could definitely pursue a solo career if he wanted to.

F Cancer
Champions
Minnesota
Pick Up The Phone
Castro

The Castro verse is damn near hypnotic and stuck in my head right now.

Quavo, Huncho
My life like Paaaaablo
Cuban hoes fall in love with a nigga
They'll treat me like Faaaaabio
Off white like sheeeeell toes
Stick to the money, veeeeelcro
Standin' on the top ropes
Then I jump down, hit you with the eeeeelbow
Why do the birds need a plane if they can fly?
I be standin' in the field with the fire
So many onions in the trap, make me cry
My styrofoam got more oil than Dubai

tumblr_mrqyptGuHE1spxy9bo1_500.gif

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Just seems like a really remedial reason to be upset. Like if you don't like it...don't listen to it? I hate deathmetal music but I'm not angry at it's existence, I simply don't listen to it.

Novel idea sure, but it's worth trying.

Not sure if you noticed but I already accomplished your idea. I never stated in the thread that I hate the song nor am I myself angry at it. It's catchy and forgettable. It's also debatable that it should be number 1. I was arguing more for the others in this thread who disliked this song.

No doubt, I think the main thing is to look at these guys through the lens of doing a regional sound that has become mainstream. I think the only reason i can appreciate them is due to the cultural context of Atlanta's club/strip club and dance scene of the 90's, 00's, 10's. I thought Jeezy, and Gucci Mane was wack as fuck when they started buzzing in Atlanta, but you go out enough, drinking, getting lit, dancing with women to these songs; sooner or later they start becoming your jams. LOL

However if you're only engaging this music through your headsets, then you're definitely not going to get much out of it as you would from listening to a J.Cole, Kendrick, or Kanye.

To me these guys are the Miami Bass/Atlanta Booty Shake rappers of the late 80's/90's. Whereas Atlanta Booty Shake music was thought to have died, but didn't and got mixed with the themes of gangsta rap and evolved to crunk, snap, and trap.

I see where you're coming from and I respect your perspective on how they became your jams. To me, Ludacris and Outkast were the peak of what you are describing mixed with what I enjoyed out of rap. I liked that the southern style blew up but I guess I got off the train once the style changed to what it is now. It is at least enjoyable for me in those environments.

Barzul

Quavo is the best out of Migos, no doubt. He holds the group together. I mean just listen to his verses on Call Casting and T-shirt. Pure fire.

Fjordson

Song is undeniably dope. Quavo comes through as usual, but Offset really steals the track for his own imo.

Uzi Vert's verse is a big dropoff after Quavo, but it's not bad enough to ruin the song.

Ivan 3414

Of course the hook is the most quoted part of the song; that's what hooks are designed to be. Been that way for the lyrical mainstream artists, been that way in the 90s. This is nothing new. But that doesn't mean no one cares about verses.

If you look throughout this topic, on Twitter, etc, you'll see tons of praise for Offset's verse, and tons of people shitting on Lil Uzi Vert's verse. People have been saying in this very topic that everyone in the club have been singing along with the verses for this song. Hell, check the YouTube comments for this song and you'll likely find a joke about Uzi's verse within the first five top comments. If the verses weren't important to people, we wouldn't hear people praising or shitting on them. This ain't "hook rap".

And again, how can you call Migos hook rap when they've been credited for a rapping flow that nearly every mainstream rapper has bit? That alone defies that label. They aren't getting praise for changing hooks; they've been getting praise for changing verses.

Kaizer

Banned
Quavo is the best out of Migos, no doubt. He holds the group together. I mean just listen to his verses on Call Casting and T-shirt. Pure fire.

Dude has the Midas Touch, I don't want Migos to break up, but wouldn't mind a Quavo solo project.

mlclmtckr

Banned
'Bougie' is not some obscure AAVE thing. Actually I don't think it originated in the black community at all. IDK where people have been.

I liked the ladies in the video... No dancing or posing or anything, just steely-eyed glares.

Song is ok.

rambis

Banned

The hell? We're posting on a gaming forum where dudes don't understand or pickup on 75% of the lingo they use. Of course you're gonna pick up on the hook. But even then people had to have "boujee" explained to them.

People who actually understand what they are talking about usually pick up on the verses.

'Bougie' is not some obscure AAVE thing. Actually I don't think it originated in the black community at all. IDK where people have been.

I liked the ladies in the video... No dancing or posing or anything, just steely-eyed glares.

Song is ok.

It really did originate in the Black community; what are you talking about.

As been mentioned it's an offshoot of the term Bourgeoisie.

As somebody who studies African American culture, but more importantly actually lives it; let me help you out with a source.

http://www.pdx.edu/multicultural-to...ders/african-american-vernacular-english-aave
Lexical Differences
To a great extent, AAVE (African American Vernacular English) shares a common lexicon with SAE (Southern American English) particularly vocabulary from informal and southern dialects. However, AAVE varies from SAE more than any other dialect spoken in North America. Over the years many AAVE words have become commonly used by many SAE speakers. Examples include: dig (meaning ”to understand/appreciate"), jazz, tote, chill out (meaning to relax, calm down), main squeeze (referring to one's significant other), soul (referring to African American food and music), funky, and threads (meaning ”clothes"), def (meaning ”excellent"), phat (meaning ”extremely good-looking, tasty, nice), diss (meaning ”disrespect"), and jive (meaning to speak in a dishonest or misleading manner).

AAVE also has words that either are not part of SAE, or have completely different meanings from their usage in SAE. Examples include; kitchen (refers to the curly hair at the nape of the neck), ashy (meaning ”dry skin"), siditty (meaning snobbish or bourgeois), and bougie (meaning ”an elitist African American").

CDV13

I like T-Shirt better, the other one that dropped today is cool too, but 3rd so far single wise.

Can't deny the fact that everyone goes off when this comes on. It's dope to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom