• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos' "Bad And Boujee" Hits #1 On Billboard Hot 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnchair

Banned
It was always used as a negative in my experience. Basically trying to appear wealthier/classier than you actually are.

But after this song and seeing what people think on urban dictionary, seems to have a positive spin now.

the evolution of language is beautiful

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
damn, why you so mad that not everyone loves this dumb as fuck song?

Music gets the people going.

I'll never understand why it's completely fine to say that you're not into a new style of media for everything else but music. If you don't like a new sound of music cropping up, then you're an old man whose states suck and you're out of touch.

I don't understand how people on gaf can hate on Lil Uzi. He's bringing anime avatars back for all!

His name, his music and anime are enough to think the dude is garbage.

Migos aren't much better. Thank god RTJ3 is the greatest thing ever because damn near everything else is fucking awful these days.

Can't hate on this song.

Definitely a banger in the whip. Fuck all the haters. I love hip hop but can't deny fire when I hear it.

Yeah, man. Not everything has to be all deep and thought provoking (took me a while to finally get what the fuck pink and white and black and yellow in frank's blonde meant). If everything was like that, itd be boring. There needs to be tunes that are just catchy and get to the point.

Good doesnt equal complex.

Awesome song. Goes in hard.

Music gets the people going.

I'll never understand why it's completely fine to say that you're not into a new style of media for everything else but music. If you don't like a new sound of music cropping up, then you're an old man whose states suck and you're out of touch.

comes down to how you say it, nothing wrong if it doesn't suit your style

calling it dumb as fuck and saying this is basically why trump won will upset people

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RTJ is like Eminem for nerds, from what I've seen recently
This is a good comparison. It's just a safe, slightly blacker version of Eminem standom, while still having a white MC in the mix.

Alternatively, RTJ is basically MF DOOM for a new generation. Something people say they listen to to get some rap cred, but is in actuality pretty uneven in quality, and sometimes straight up bad and grating. But yo, they're such good rappers, right?

NandoGip

This is a good comparison. It's just a safe, slightly blacker version of Eminem standom, while still having a white MC in the mix.

Alternatively, RTJ is basically MF DOOM for a new generation. Something people say they listen to to get some rap cred, but is in actuality pretty uneven in quality, and sometimes straight up bad and grating. But yo, they're such good rappers, right?

I feel like RTJ is rap music for people who don't really like rap that much and prefer a fairly uninspired version of it.

Not saying they're bad, but if you showed a RTJ fan any sort of experimental rap they'd say it's trash or not hip hop or whatever they're saying nowadays.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I don't wanna roast RTJ, but they're getting pretty close to being in the same category as Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne, and Hopsin.

eminem was eminem for nerds tbf

RTJ are fine, but yeah this obsession with them among white people is pretty annoying.

So the color of someone's skin is annoying you? I don't get how this works. Do all "hardcore hip hop heads" hate Wu-Tang as well because some white people like them? Maybe I'll stick to metal threads on GAF from now on, this shit is fucking bizzarro world.

So the color of someone's skin is annoying you? I don't get how this works. Do all "hardcore hip hop heads" hate Wu-Tang as well because some white people like them? Maybe I'll stick to metal threads on GAF from now on, this shit is fucking bizzarro world.

hates rap but thinks metal is music worth listening too

bizzaro world indeed

Uh oh, the RTJ anti-bandwagon has begun in full. It was only a matter of time.

This songs aight. I don't see what separates it from a thousand other songs in the same style though. It barely has a hook and it's not like the beat really stands out. It's aight though. Uzi's got a lot of personality even if he definitely ain't a lyricist

Are you crawling in your skin? Will the wounds not heal?

50e293d8ea77bde907ee2a3854a4bfbd.gif

mlclmtckr

Banned
It really did originate in the Black community; what are you talking about.

As been mentioned it's an offshoot of the term Bourgeoisie.

As somebody who studies African American culture, but more importantly actually lives it; let me help you out with a source.

http://www.pdx.edu/multicultural-to...ders/african-american-vernacular-english-aave

IDK why you linked me to a definition of AAVE when I already used the term in my post

But my point is that anarchists and Communists have been using the term for decades... I don't think this particular term originated in the AA community. Although I could be wrong. But your source doesn't speak to that one way or the other.

Edit- not trying to be combative or prescriptive or anything... a bit drunk so my post might come off as rude. Not my intention at all I just thought this particular term had a different provenance. Always interested in etymology and the reach of AAVE.

Helmholtz

Great track, one of the best hooks I've heard in a while, and the beat is fantastic. I kind of liked Migos before, but mainly when they did features. As someone who likes Uzi, I don't know what to make of his verse here. It's kind of trash but kind of great at the same time.

IDK why you linked me to a definition of AAVE when I already used the term in my post

But my point is that anarchists and Communists have been using the term for decades... I don't think this particular term originated in the AA community. Although I could be wrong. But your source doesn't speak to that one way or the other.

Edit- not trying to be combative or prescriptive or anything... a bit drunk so my post might come off as rude. Not my intention at all I just thought this particular term had a different provenance. Always interested in etymology and the reach of AAVE.

You're referring to the French term bourgeois or bourgeoisie, not bougie. Bougie is an offshoot of that term, and it has it's own specific use, meaning, and significance within African American culture.

It's like you arguing disrespect originated elsewhere, but the term dis is an offshoot of that term, and has its own specific use, meaning, and significance within African American culture.

LionPride

Banned
I feel like RTJ is rap music for people who don't really like rap that much and prefer a fairly uninspired version of it.

Not saying they're bad, but if you showed a RTJ fan any sort of experimental rap they'd say it's trash or not hip hop or whatever they're saying nowadays.
Don't generalize nigga. Just don't.

mlclmtckr

Banned
You're referring to the French term bourgeois or bourgeoisie, not bougie. Bougie is an offshoot of that term, and it has it's own specific use, meaning, and significance within African American culture.

It's like you arguing disrespect originated elsewhere, but the term dis is an offshoot of that term, and has its own specific use, meaning, and significance within African American culture.

True. Makes sense. I guess I'm just used to hearing white punk kids using it so I assumed it originated in that subculture.

Which is kind of the story of American culture in general now that I think about it.

True. Makes sense. I guess I'm just used to hearing white punk kids using it so I assumed it originated in that subculture.

Which is kind of the story of American culture in general now that I think about it.

Of course it is, because otherwise they'd be using bourgeois or bourgeoisie.

the_knick_the_story_of_the_negro_in_america_is_the_by_digi_matrix-d9o4bth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom