• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos' "Bad And Boujee" Hits #1 On Billboard Hot 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
The song's okay. Truth be told, I don't know how THIS song, in particular, became so popular when it's just an okay trap song. Metro's beat isn't that great, Uzi's verse is sooooooo trash, and the chorus is aight. Honestly, I haven't listened to enough of Migos' discography to tell whether or not they deserve this huge come-up, but I admire the change from one-hit wonders to "these guys might be more than that" in terms of public awareness.

Honestly, "T-Shirt" is way better and I dig the beat on "Call Casting", so here's hoping "Culture" does well for them.

Bougie being a word people don't know is weird to me. I understand if you aren't American, but otherwise wow.
Like I know there is a culture gap between urban and suburban culture (or black/white if you really want to boil it down like that) but holy crap. Bougie has been a word since as long as I can remember, and I'm 27.

Either way this song is great. Perfect Rap Car music, it doesn't get any better.

Yes they do, but making a slang word for an uncommon word is kind of why people are confused.

It's cultural. White Americans didn't really have a use for the term because they were the bourgeoisie. African Americans, by comparison, were at the bottom of the social and economic class and also had to deal with their own issues of identity and assimilation. So an African American who appeared and/or spoke more assimilated to the bourgeoisie and/or who's tastes correlated with them could come across as being better (higher class) than everybody else of that lower class and the response being, "Damn, you bougie as hell".

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The song's okay. Truth be told, I don't know how THIS song, in particular, became so popular when it's just an okay trap song. Metro's beat isn't that great, Uzi's verse is sooooooo trash, and the chorus is aight. Honestly, I haven't listened to enough of Migos' discography to tell whether or not they deserve this huge come-up, but I admire the change from one-hit wonders to "these guys might be more than that" in terms of public awareness.

Honestly, "T-Shirt" is way better and I dig the beat on "Call Casting", so here's hoping "Culture" does well for them.
They are probably a one hit wonder. They got popular through a meme, same way "Black Beatles," got popular through the manniquin challenge. It's all random.

Bougie being a word people don't know is weird to me. I understand if you aren't American, but otherwise wow.
Like I know there is a culture gap between urban and suburban culture (or black/white if you really want to boil it down like that) but holy crap. Bougie has been a word since as long as I can remember, and I'm 27.

Either way this song is great. Perfect Rap Car music, it doesn't get any better.
It's definitely a cultural divide.

It's cultural. White Americans didn't really have a use for the term because they were the bourgeoisie. African Americans, by comparison, were at the bottom of the social and economic class and also had to deal with their own issues of identity and assimilation. So an African American who appeared and/or spoke more assimilated to the bourgeoisie and/or who's tastes correlated with them could come across as being better (higher class) than everybody else of that lower class and the response being, "Damn, you bougie as hell".
That does make sense in that context. However the way you phrased it made it seem like bougie is an insult. I think that's kind of odd considering most people would love to be bourgeois.

That does make sense in that context. However the way you phrased it made it seem like bougie is an insult. I think that's kind of odd considering most people would love to be bourgeois.

Bougie kind of is an insult. It implies someone is stuck-up, picky, or loves the smell of their own farts. But here in this song the implication is that Migos have so much money and status that the bougie girls want to talk to them.

They are probably a one hit wonder. They got popular through a meme, same way "Black Beatles," got popular through the manniquin challenge. It's all random.
I wouldn't bet on that. That's the same thing people said about Migos when Versace blew up. Since then, it's apparent they really leveled up. "Bad and Boujee" is leagues ahead of that and didn't even need a Drake co-sign to blow up. More importantly, the other two singles are just as good, if not better.

But, I think you're talking about it in terms of Billboard #1 Hits and you're likely right. As artists though, they're way better than other "one hit wonders."

Yes, bougie could be used as an insult and most of the times it was. Obviously, with any word over the course of time, it could be used the opposite way as well and bougie being used as a compliment, particularly towards African American women. Especially as you have more African Americans families in the middle class and above.

Also, why do you think it is odd, that the victims of oppression didn't want to be like their oppressors and instead valued their own identity they created after it being completely ripped from them and forcibly replaced?

Bougie kind of is an insult. It implies someone is stuck-up, picky, or loves the smell of their own farts. But here in this song the implication is that Migos have so much money and status that the bougie girls want to talk to them.

Pretty much this.

In the Rap scene Migos have already solidified themselves as hit makers. This isn't their first hit in the circles that would care about them.

Ivan 3414

Song is so damn basic.

That's why yall plebes love it.

image.php

Edit beaten =/

Zekes!

People have never heard the term bougie?

I live in a pretty White Canadian city and bougie definitely ain't a foreign word.

Most of my family is Black tho

lol bougie is almost always an insult. it meant pretentious, gentrified, and having a stick up your ass at any moment.

lol bougie is almost always an insult. it meant pretentious, gentrified, and having a stick up your ass at any moment.

For added context, Jasmine Guy's character of Whitley Gilbert on the 80's show "A Different World" was bougie as hell. Same as the character Hillary Banks in the 90's on "Fresh Prince of Bel Air".

However, it can be perceived as a compliment from a Black male perspective, in regards to a Black woman, and being able to pull a woman out of his league.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Okay that makes the song much better.
I wouldn't bet on that. That's the same thing people said about Migos when Versace blew up. Since then, it's apparent they really leveled up. "Bad and Boujee" is leagues ahead of that and didn't even need a Drake co-sign to blow up. More importantly, the other two singles are just as good, if not better.

But, I think you're talking about it in terms of Billboard #1 Hits and you're likely right. As artists though, they're way better than other "one hit wonders."
Hmm I kind of disagree. But we will see with time.
Yes, bougie could be used as an insult and most of the times it was. Obviously, with any word over the course of time, it could be used the opposite way as well and bougie being used as a compliment, particularly towards African American women. Especially as you have more African Americans families in the middle class and above.

Also, why do you think it is odd, that the victims of oppression didn't want to be like their oppressors and instead valued their own identity they created after it being completely ripped from them and forcibly replaced?

Pretty much this.
Okay that makes sense in the context of oppression. Very understandable.
People have never heard the term bougie?

I live in a pretty White Canadian city and bougie definitely ain't a foreign word.

Most of my family is Black tho
Very cultural lol. My whole family is white except my sisters kids. And I live in rural Illinois. Then again Twitter was just getting big when I graduated high school and I didn't really use it so very few conversations with blacks people until I was probably 20.

LionPride

Banned
Versace came out in 2013 and needed a rub from Drake to be big
Bad and Boujee comes out and they give a rub to Uzi with his terrible verse, but a rub nonetheless

I think they good

Atlanta has been great for hip-hop

Although Memphis should really be a hub for southern hip-hop...we had 8ball and MJG damn it

JayDub

Did a search in this thread and a search on google and no one has mentioned that this is a straight up boot leg of Panda?

Deepwater

It's definitely a cultural divide.

lol. Because this is the first hit that Migos has ever had, ever before. Yup.

ThisGuy

I mean, if you ignore trailer parks. White people use bougie, and have used bougie. This is news to me that its uncommon.

I really like this song. Don't get the hate.

Glass Rebel

They had a bunch of decent singles back in 2014/2015 but it wasn't until late 2016 when they got back into their groove. Listen to No Label II and the 3 Way EP, rest is kinda forgettable tbh.

I mean, if you ignore trailer parks. White people use bougie, and have used bougie. This is news to me that its uncommon.

LOL @ ignore trailer parks. Y'know, what I meant. White people do not use bougie to the extent that they use other African American slang, which is why you have some White people in here who've never heard it.

Also for further context, here's an excerpt from the book Slang: The People's Poetry

As John and Russell Rickford explain in their excellent book, Spoken Soul: The Story of Black English:

One of the many fascinating features of Black vocabulary is how sharply it can divide Blacks and Whites, and how solidly it can connect Blacks from different social classes. In 1992, sociologist Teresa Labov published a study that examined the extent to which adolescents used and understood eighty-nine slang terms. Of all the social variables she considered, race turned out to be the most significant factor, with Blacks much more familiar with terms like bougie ('an uppity-acting African American'), busting out ('looking good'), and fresh (for 'cool'), and Whites much more familiar with terms like schlep (for 'to drag along'), and bombed or smashed (as a synonym for 'drunk'). That the Black respondents knew the Black terms is significant: they were college students at predominately White institutions.

Other social variables were also important, of course: the students were not merely White or merely Black, but belonged to several intersecting social groups at once. That's exactly why the preeminence of racial identity here is so arresting.

this thread., this thread.

wow.

i can't tell what's real and what's sarcasm.

The thread in summary:

https://youtu.be/TMwjmHYqOZo?t=171

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom