• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos' "Bad And Boujee" Hits #1 On Billboard Hot 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Migos greatest weapon are the ad libs they put on each track. Shit has me dying

But yea the beat ain't even that great metro going to get to that overexposed to the point of parody level soon
The ad libs on Sloppy Toppy are hilarious.

And nah, Metro will be fine. I mean, he's been doing his thing for 3ish years now. He knows how to cook up something appropriate for the artists he works with, whether its a great beat or not. That's why Savage Mode is as great as it is.

I thought they'd disappear after Versace.
Me too, still never heard a project from them, but I'll always catch on to their songs after-the-fact. Just started getting into Fight Night a few months ago.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I like this song for maybe twenty seconds and then I turn it off because it's just awful. I really don't see what people like with these clowns.

Also thot is misogynistic as fuck and is a terrible word.
Was boujee an actual word before this song or are people just making up words these days?
I was the same way. Never heard it before. Weird lingo these days.

I like this song for maybe twenty seconds and then I turn it off because it's just awful. I really don't see what people like with these clowns.

On a base level within specific contexts, I can understand why people enjoy it. On an intellectual level, knowing and understanding the history of American culture; there's no denying there isn't an element of minstrelsy involved.

LOL It's not weird lingo these days, it's old African American slang surfacing to the top (mainstream) and being noticed by people who otherwise never knew about it so make assumptions that it must be new.... as has been the history of a significant part of African American culture.

NandoGip

Haha I backed out of this thread 5 pages ago. Glad to see it's still a bunch of dudes "promoting a discussion" with 5 word posts about how the song is shit.

On a base level within specific contexts, I can understand why people enjoy it. On an intellectual level, knowing and understanding the history of American culture; there's no denying there isn't an element of minstrelsy involved.

That's the catch, isn't it? A rapper will tell you that they're simply speaking their truth, but at the end of the day you're reiterating and exaggerating certain themes for a reason. The Hood Conan image sells

Not anywhere near new, chances are you're just not black so you've never heard it.

That's the catch, isn't it? A rapper will tell you that they're simply speaking their truth, but at the end of the day you're reiterating and exaggerating certain themes for a reason. The Hood Conan image sells

Yeah, there's a good argument it started to creep into hip hop during the gangsta rap era.

Dali

A lot of you must not watch black TV shows and movies if you didn't know what boujee was.
White folk been rapping lyrics without knowing wtf they were really saying since Dr Dre and the chronic. They probably heard the word before but just went with it/ignored it. I'm fairly sure it was said on fresh prince at least once (iirc tyra banks called will boujee) and that show had plenty of crossover appeal.

I'm still waiting for the triplet cadence fad to die out. Banking on the 808s + triplet-beat rapping formula is starting to sound super stale.

Migos greatest weapon are the ad libs they put on each track. Shit has me dying

But yea the beat ain't even that great metro going to get to that overexposed to the point of parody level soon

Nah, Metro is going on 5 years now. He's definitely not Lex Luger (which is kinda sad since Lex is actually REALLY versatile).

collige

Banned
Happened to Mustard pretty quick
Mustard intentionally parodied himself though. Metro has way more versatility and variety. Just compare Boujee or No Heart to something like I Serve The Base.
Nah, Metro is going on 5 years now. He's definitely not Lex Luger (which is kinda sad since Lex is actually REALLY versatile).

The Lex Luger beats on the new Chief Keef tape are actually really good if you haven't heard it yet. In fact, the entire tape is pretty fire.

White folk been rapping lyrics without knowing wtf they were really saying since Dr Dre and the chronic. They probably heard the word before but just went with it/ignored it. I'm fairly sure it was said on fresh prince at least once (iirc tyra banks called will boujee) and that show had plenty of crossover appeal.

I don't remember that but I do know there was an episode called "Bourgie Sings the Blues". we've been using the word for forever.

The Lex Luger beats on the new Chief Keef tape are actually really good if you haven't heard it yet. In fact, the entire tape is pretty fire.

Bet, I'll have to check it out.

LionPride

Banned
What's justice when this mess hits the tops when A Trible Called Quest was all but ignored?

Hip hop needs an enema.
They weren't ignored but keep yelling old man

Thot is a really unisex word tho. Boujee isn't weird lingo, just because you ain't black doesn't mean it's weird.

CoolOff

So, how much hip-hop do I have to listen to on a regular basis to be allowed to call this song fucking garbage? It's such a boring beat coming from Metro.

Seems off to me to call out people for not knowing what bougee means when people would not know what T Jones means without being from the DFW area or looking it up on Urban Dictionary.

Boujee prob more mainstream.

Much of this thread:

I9kBeHd.jpg

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
thot is unisex. have you ever heard of the thot haircut?
Uh Thirsty Hoe Over There is clearly gendered towards female. I almost never hear of a guy being called a hoe.
They weren't ignored but keep yelling old man

Thot is a really unisex word tho. Boujee isn't weird lingo, just because you ain't black doesn't mean it's weird.
I think it's weird more because bourgeoisie isn't a common word, so a black shortened version of it is kind of weird.
Much of this thread:

I9kBeHd.jpg
I wouldn't know that mainly because I didn't live through the 90's and I am not required to know every pop culture song for that decade. I do like Dr. Dre though and gangsta rap.
you guys dont know about the bourgeoisie ??
Well obviously most people know about bourgeoisie, it's just an uncommon word. I mean I would only use it when discussing Marxism. Having slang for is just odd.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm still trying to figure out if people know that bourgeois is a real word, and from what boujee is derived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom