• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse NOW on web - end of the year for 3DS

Bumhead

Banned
Considering Miiverse had a bit more going than just a "glorified webapp" (such as doodle comments and screencapping), it would make sense that the Miiverse would integrate with the 3DS at an OS level. They would have to make it so you can screencap your games and post them on the Miiverse with relative ease. (Most likely the Miiverse would appear along the row of icons where Game Notes and Friends List are.)

Don't forget that with the Miiverse, things would be now tied to your NNID, which means they would have to overhaul how the entire Friend Code system works to accomodate NNID screennames instead.

Hopefully. Would be good for the friends system and Swapnote to be integrated on 3DS.

Just to clarify, me saying "glorified web app" wasn't a slur against Miiverse. I was just under the impression that all they had planned for 3DS was access to Miiverse via the existing web browser, rather than an actual OS level app.

Dantis

I've never understood the point of Miiverse, though it seems cool that people can get their doodles and screens from the web now.

Is it that significant though? Nintendo seem to want to push it as one of their innovations, and it just seems like a message board to me...

Robin64

Is it that significant though? Nintendo seem to want to push it as one of their innovations, and it just seems like a message board to me...

It is "just a message board", but no other message board in the world integrates with Wii U games. You won't see GAF posts while playing New Super Mario Bros U. Moreover, this is now a super easy way to get screenshots of things, rather than pointing your iPhone at the telly.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've never understood the point of Miiverse, though it seems cool that people can get their doodles and screens from the web now.

You can share funny doodles, and it can be integrated in games. Beat a level in a record time? You can post about it and share a screenshot. Fall in a bottomless pit? You can read the angry/desperate messages of other people who did.

Robin64

Wahahaha!

Oh my god, this is horrifically CUTE

screenshot

Erethian

They gave a talk at GDC about their future plans for Miiverse, which included things like launching a game at a certain point directly from a post, using the impending sub-communities feature to run tournaments for game titles that support it, and a bunch of other stuff.

And because a lot of this is implemented outside of the framework of Wii U firmware it's easy to modify, all it takes is for games to support the expanded API.

Robin64

Let's not forget the Virtual Console ones ;)

AAUAABAQeQAxaeBTA3
AAUAABAQjAAJgdzH4J
AAUAABARmwAghCxm5q
AAUAABAQiQAb-yGc_P

Or these misc ones:

AAUAABATIQAK6zryCZ
AAUAABAQLwABccByV2
AAUAABAQWgAl9chgaX
zlCfzQ7SyUYbenu6P1
zlCfzQ5O8l0EDDEktl
zlCfzQ7S0aAWcOG6Lt

Can't see a way to view other region communities on the web app, mind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bug/feature report:

Miiverse online uses whatever language your device is set to and does not give you the option to switch languages on the fly.

In case someone is going to reply with "den y u set ur device like that", you obviously don't live in a bilingual household. The standard way of doing things for a multilingual website is to guess a user's language from their system language, but to allow a manual switch; and best practice would also have a user level option that upon login, a user can specify a default language for future sessions.

wrowa

Only being able to see a selected few highlights of the Miiverse without owning a Wii U kinda defeats the point of the webapp, doesn't it? Of course, you can now interact easier and on the go, but most of the content is still being locked away from the public.

I like the idea of the Miiverse, but social media is an important marketing tool. You should want as many people as possible seeing the cool things people discover in your games, so that they want to get their hands on the console too, but instead Nintendo locks away the appeal in some kind of vacuum exclusive to the few Wii U owners. They're taking way too long for the 3DS Miiverse too...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Here's what I can fit in a reply:
"Bug/feature report: Miiverse online does not have a language switch option, so if you are in a bilin"

You can switch language on the login screen. Pretty stupid it's not anywhere else though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here's what I can fit in a reply:
"Bug/feature report: Miiverse online does not have a language switch option, so if you are in a bilin"

Yeah, that 100 character limit can be a pain, though I suppose if you plan it out you can cut your message up and paste it quickly in parts.

rpmurphy

Only being able to see a selected few highlights of the Miiverse without owning a Wii U kinda defeats the point of the webapp, doesn't it? Of course, you can now interact easier and on the go, but most of the content is still being locked away from the public.

I like the idea of the Miiverse, but social media is an important marketing tool. You should want as many people as possible seeing the cool things people discover in your games, so that they want to get their hands on the console too, but instead Nintendo locks away the appeal in some kind of vacuum exclusive to the few Wii U owners. They're taking way too long for the 3DS Miiverse too...
Yeah, but it could be that for the moment they're reducing stress on the servers by restricting access for non-registered users. Not sure if that'll change eventually, but hopefully.

Robin64

Some official dev Miis, complete with various expressions which are called normal, happy, like, surprised, frustrated and puzzled. And once you know that, it's easy to find the expressions even if they've never used them.

Satoru Iwata
371dg1sfyyg2x_normal_face.png
371dg1sfyyg2x_happy_face.png
371dg1sfyyg2x_like_face.png
371dg1sfyyg2x_surprised_face.png
371dg1sfyyg2x_frustrated_face.png
371dg1sfyyg2x_puzzled_face.png

Shigeru Miyamoto
3m7xl8wswa6xc_normal_face.png
3m7xl8wswa6xc_happy_face.png
3m7xl8wswa6xc_like_face.png
3m7xl8wswa6xc_surprised_face.png
3m7xl8wswa6xc_frustrated_face.png
3m7xl8wswa6xc_puzzled_face.png

Eiji Aonuma
3tv6y4ibxyjc3_normal_face.png
3tv6y4ibxyjc3_happy_face.png
3tv6y4ibxyjc3_like_face.png
3tv6y4ibxyjc3_surprised_face.png
3tv6y4ibxyjc3_frustrated_face.png
3tv6y4ibxyjc3_puzzled_face.png

Masataka Takemoto
26ujmsow4zido_normal_face.png
26ujmsow4zido_happy_face.png
26ujmsow4zido_like_face.png
26ujmsow4zido_surprised_face.png
26ujmsow4zido_frustrated_face.png
26ujmsow4zido_puzzled_face.png

JavyOO7

Hmm. I like this except for one exception... I really wish the Wii U's OS music was playing as I'm browsing Miiverse through the web...

From the login page:

At this time must mean they are planning to let users create their NNID from somewhere else in the future.

Or perhaps they aren't, since all it says is "at this time" which simply means "at this time" and there is nothing saying "we will later allow NNID creation from other devices."

But 3DS is likely.

zroid

Banned
Some official dev Miis, complete with various expressions which are called normal, happy, like, surprised, frustrated and puzzled. And once you know that, it's easy to find the expressions even if they've never used them.

Haha neat

jKRjainqcjOdB.png

Oddduck

Satoru Iwata

Shigeru Miyamoto

Eiji Aonuma

Masataka Takemoto

Haha that's pretty cool.

Maybe the reason the 3DS version is taking so long is because they're releasing it simultaneously with a massive eShop update that unifies your Wii U account with your 3DS one. I can dream....

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have a feeling that they might try to integrate it with Swapnote in some way.

That makes too much sense, so it won't happen.

Satoru Iwata

Shigeru Miyamoto

Eiji Aonuma

Masataka Takemoto

*Laughs*

Nemesis_

I wish you could post to the Miiverse through this interface?

Right now I have no reason to even turn my Wii U on >_>

celebi23

Satoru Iwata

Shigeru Miyamoto

Eiji Aonuma

Masataka Takemoto

Here's Shigesato Itoi
mgnkxn3l9c1u_normal_face.png
mgnkxn3l9c1u_happy_face.png
mgnkxn3l9c1u_like_face.png
mgnkxn3l9c1u_surprised_face.png
mgnkxn3l9c1u_frustrated_face.png
mgnkxn3l9c1u_puzzled_face.png

Really wish I could make a Nintendo ID online as I don't have a WiiU yet :/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I thought hey great, now I can check my notifications without turning on the Wii U.

uBEbh63.png

Just my luck.

Top Bottom