• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennial Average Median Income Per State

Kieli

Here's a version you can actually read:
millennial-median-income-state-map.png

Thanks. The other one was made for ants.

Shauni

Don't worry guys. Just stay the course. Appeal to old suburban republicans in 2018. Young people don't vote and don't matter. They are totally fine and just a bunch of lazy fucks. It's not like they have been justifiably disallusioned and need some sort of ray of hope or anything. They just suck and eat too much avacado toast. Get and line and vote D regardless of whatever corrupt shit heads the party puts out. Please be excited.

sdey.gif

It's bad and getting worse. I know people with 4 year college degrees that are currently working at Domino's

Automation will only leave less and less jobs over the next decade.

Yeah, I am going to Korea next month to be an ESL teacher, but starting pay is about 23k, which is still kind of low. There is room for advancement at least, or supposed to. The same was said at my current job and that just got the big yank around in the end lol

Shadybiz

I mean, at this point, what even are options for high paying work? It feels like there's almost no real opportunities unless you're in engineering or IT or something like that

Medical field is a good way to go, especially with boomers getting much older and needing health care.

The trades are another good way to go. However, kids these days are brought up to believe that if they don't go to college, they'll never make it in life.

Those numbers are incredibly low. How is our consumerist culture supposed to sustain itself if no one can afford to buy anything?

Add crushing student loan debt on top of that and we've got problems.

tokkun

You say it's just a cell phone, but it's more than that. It's the connectivity, the communication, sharing of information, literally how children now perceive the world versus others. Kennedy didn't cause that. Vietnam didn't either. I think that is a very understated effect on the Millennial generation. What a generation was exposed to as they came of age is very important.

I really think you're underestimating what the cell phone and always connected life did for growing up.

Ubiquitous connectivity was a gradual thing, though. Prior to kids getting cell phones, there were already new communication options available via PCs - messengers, chat rooms, etc. And even once they got cell phones, the ability to communicate has greatly evolved from simple phone calls and SMS with barely usable keypads to being able to stream live video today. There is no before / after point in the generation. Saying it divides a generation in half is a false dichotomy.

I mean, at this point, what even are options for high paying work? It feels like there's almost no real opportunities unless you're in engineering or IT or something like that

It's getting to that point.

I see others getting around that by being in a relationship and having two incomes instead of one.

It's sad.

Lower than I would have expected, but then again the entire generation hasn't entered the professional workforce yet. In 5 years this data will likely look very different as millennials become the prime working age of 27 - 42.

Fucking idiot baby boomers ruined everything

Basically there are few good jobs anymore especially for the entry level worker. Almost all the good ones require advanced degrees that are expensive and hard to get.

If I ever have to switch careers I'm entering a skilled trade.

Jesus. Is there a break down on industries and degrees? And look, not to be "that guy" but things have drastically changed from my parents generation: one of my managers is a VP and has a degree in fashion and I am in tech...if you dont have a desirable degree that is also a factor in employment and economics (like my cousin who has an art history degree...though now he is getting his CPA).

RDreamer

Ubiquitous connectivity was a gradual thing, though. Prior to kids getting cell phones, there were already new communication options available via PCs - messengers, chat rooms, etc. And even once they got cell phones, the ability to communicate has greatly evolved from simple phone calls and SMS with barely usable keypads to being able to stream live video today. There is no before / after point in the generation. Saying it divides a generation in half is a false dichotomy.

Yeah there's some gradation there. There's always going to be a bit of gradation. Even with the Vietnam example there's going to be some years where more of the generation is being sent off and more people have more friends and family leaving, etc. Nothing's perfect.

That said, I still think there's still a big separation between very very sporadic connection, if any throughout life until high school and being connected almost every minute of every day like kids now.

That and the 08 crash also really affected things in a big way. Not Vietnam levels, but I think it further separated a difference.

Shauni

Medical field is a good way to go, especially with boomers getting much older and needing health care.

The trades are another good way to go. However, kids these days are brought up to believe that if they don't go to college, they'll never make it in life.

Any in particular you have in mind?

About three times the WV average. Still feel barely above water sometimes.

There are some community colleges that offer two year programs in process tech and instrumentation/process engineering that offer jobs around 75-100k/year. It's what I'm back in school for.

So you would say someone born in 1983-90 has the same type of immersion in digital life and communication and upbringing as someone born in 2000? 2005? 2010? I just don't see that. The internet was a massive paradigm shift likely on the level and even above the telephone or car. PCs are massive too, but in the 1980s, they weren't exactly widespread. Sure families had them, but I'm unconvinced they redefined basic upbringing and how people interacted with each other. They certainly laid the foundation for the current state, now. According to this, even in 1997, 35% was the number pegged as computer home ownership. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcomputer_revolution. Let alone throwing kids on them from infant and toddler age on up.

Of course overall the progression was and is gradual, but there are some massive differences between those years that I'm not sure you always saw previously. But none of this is an exact science I guess.

Shadybiz

Welding was mentioned in here, which is a good way to go.

Personally, if I had to, I would go either the plumber or electrician route, simply because, MOST LIKELY, those jobs won't be taken over by robots before I'm ready to retire. Also, those 2 are something that people will ALWAYS need, whether or not new homes are being built. People will always have blown circuits, will always have the occasional leak in the pipe or a clogged sewer pipe, etc.

HVAC is not a bad way to go either. Furnaces and air conditioners will always need replacing and/or maintenance.

Nydius

This is the kind of chart that illustrates why I eye roll every time I read articles complaining that Millennials aren't buying houses or aren't buying cars or aren't buying a bunch of big ticket appliances.

Well no shit Millennials aren't buying houses or three-thousand dollar "smart" refrigerators. They're too busy wondering how the hell they're going to get by on such an abysmally low wage while saddled with student loan debt and outrageous medical premiums (assuming they even can afford them).

I wonder how much of that 25K median level is skewed by the prevalence of Armed Forces here in VA.

Jpm989

Neo Member
Surprisingly certain blue collar jobs pay very well. I have a friend who makes 70K a year doing welding, he's not even in a union.

After 10 years of being an automotive tech I got my salary up to 82k last year. If you can afford the initial fees of buying tools and gradually building up your tool box and getting certified, it can be very lucrative. You have to be able to move and in my case not take very many breaks lol.

Personally, if I had to, I would go either the plumber or electrician route, simply because, MOST LIKELY, those jobs won't be taken over by robots before I'm ready to retire. Also, those 2 are something that people will ALWAYS need, whether or not new homes are being built. People will always have blown circuits, will always have the occasional leak in the pipe or a clogged sewer pipe, etc.

HVAC is not a bad way to go either. Furnaces and air conditioners will always need replacing and/or maintenance.

I agree.

If I couldn't hack it in STEM after I got out of the military, my plan b was to become an electrician or plumber.

Izayoi

Banned
WOAH.

How are they sourcing this information?

That seems incredibly low... I am doing way too good in comparison. I had no idea it was this bad.

I mean, I knew that it was bad, but this is bad.

Society is so fucked. I don't know what the breaking point is when this all falls apart. Student debt, low wages, high housing costs... there's literally no way out of it.

Good to know everyone is up shit creek.

Now I don't feel so bad for working pizza delivery for the past 13 years.

No wait, I still feel like garbage.

Shauni

There are some community colleges that offer two year programs in process tech and instrumentation/process engineering that offer jobs around 75-100k/year. It's what I'm back in school for.

Interesting, didn't know they paid nearly that much. I may have to look into that at some point if teaching doesn't go anywhere. And it probably won't

Not directly relevant, but saw some complaining about the study skewing across too large a wage group for a good read on median earnings. Here's a great study from the UK on their 08/09 graduate cohort five years after graduation, with annual median earnings sorted into quintiles by degree (though not by university, which is probably as important). For every degree except Computer Science, Architecture, Maths, Engineering, Economics, Veterinary Medicine & Medicine the 75th percentile was not more than £30000 (okay, Law, Business Studies and Nursing have the 75th percentile's median basically dead on £30k).

What's really interesting is the spread - Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are the "sure bets" to a good wage but the top percentiles aren't much higher than their degree's average, while there's a massive spread for Economics, Business and Law. Pretty large spread for Maths, CompSci & Engineering too.

Of course, when the whole workforce including non-graduates are taken into account, millennial earnings are down "generation on generation" in the UK too: see. Rents are crazy in London and the South East where most of the good jobs are, too, compounding matters. Men's earnings, gen-on-gen, have seen a particularly large fall (so much so that full time women in their 20s now outearn full time men).

Kill3r7

Being a plumber, electrician and welder are all lucrative trades. Lots of politics involved but if you become a licensed electrician you are practically guaranteed a 6 figure job. I know master plumbers, running their own business, who make more than doctors and lawyers.

Hexa

$21,000 in California is terribad. Any smart Millennial would be living with their parents in this day and age to save up some money.

Can confirm. Make above median in my state. Am still living with parents to save money.

Gorillaz

that's almost unbelievable levels of "low"

assuming they are counting 19, 20 year olds or others who might have little to none experience in the working world

Mihos

Gold Member
Jesus. Is there a break down on industries and degrees? And look, not to be "that guy" but things have drastically changed from my parents generation: one of my managers is a VP and has a degree in fashion and I am in tech...if you dont have a desirable degree that is also a factor in employment and economics (like my cousin who has an art history degree...though now he is getting his CPA).

Honestly, the degree only gets you an interview. Experience is still king. From the interviews I do for engineer candidates, colleges are straight up lying to kids these days on what to expect or what the value of their degree actually is. For techs, we usually try to get kids working their way through school, ex military, or trade schools.

Top Bottom