• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennial Average Median Income Per State

lawnchair

Banned
especially if part time workers, making tips to minimum wage are included.

I don't feel good about this at all.

why shouldn't part time workers be included? tons of places in the service industry where many millenials work make it hard to get full time hours these days. i think putting part-timers in there makes the picture more accurate. people might have more jobs than ever but they're not necessarily good/high paying/benefits/full time situations. i dunno, maybe i misunderstand what you're saying..

TrounceX

So what does a young person do for a livable wage? I'm not even talking about 60-70k, even 40k would be amazing. Enough for a small apartment and drinking money.

It seems that without connections, the only reliable routes are CS, nursing, and trades. I'm rubbish at math, dislike hospitals, and I can barely hold a screwdriver correctly.

I'd love to get my master's degree in museum studies, but lord knows there are too many of those walking around.

Get into IT.

You don't have to be smart, you don't have to be good at math, and you don't need a compsci degree. This industry is easy.

I'm 26, have an A.A.S in computer networking, and make 4x the median wage in Texas.

Also, this data seems ridiculous. Either that or I live in one hell of a bubble.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nothing wrong with living with your parents. As long as you aren't just sitting on your ass.

I would have loved to save on west Los Angeles rent and lived with my parents when I first started working but the commute would have killed me. Saving on meals too.

lawnchair

Banned
Nothing wrong with living with your parents. As long as you aren't just sitting on your ass.

I would have loved to save on west Los Angeles rent and lived with my parents when I first started working but the commute would have killed me. Saving on meals too.

i don't think it's wrong at all, i just think it's kind of shocking. i fit on the older end of the millenial spectrum. i grew up in MT (the lowest money state on this graph) and back then nobody lived with their parents. the first job i got (which was a full time service industry job) paid enough money for me to live on my own. very few of my peers lived with their parents past 20. seems like it's the opposite now.

Just roughly $2000 above the median for my state(CT)...it's cool at the moment since I have a really affordable place I'm renting.

Dafuq is going on in D.C.? I'm assuming it's government jobs and what not?

Apharmd

wtf

i thought i was pretty poor making 30k in texas

Get into IT.

You don't have to be smart, you don't have to be good at math, and you don't need a compsci degree. This industry is easy.

I'm 26, have an A.A.S in computer networking, and make 4x the median wage in Texas.

Also, this data seems ridiculous. Either that or I live in one hell of a bubble.

big dawg what must i do to break in to IT?

Millennial war cry:
tumblr_inline_ol1biwl7td1qbltux_500.gif

Opto

Banned
This makes me feel worse than I already do. I'm nowhere near 20,000 even on a good year. I feel so sad and desperate now being jobless off and on. I'm just tired of playing this game hoping that someone will call me for an interview and if they accept me. Sometimes I cry because I feel like I'm never going to amount to shit.

Don't write yourself off, even in a bad situation. I'm not going to give you any bullshit, things are fucked in this country. I don't even want to know what I'm trying to say, but I felt like I had to let you know someone out here has heard you and is listening? That you're not just crying into the void. Sorry if this is weird or doesn't help.

Foffy

Banned
Actually I was assuming that. I also imagine that with the widespread adoption of automation in all industries, the value of human labor will be close to zero in our time. I'd actually expect the Millennial's median income to decrease as time goes on.

Perhaps, but even if we don't hit zero, we're seeing a "Great Decoupling" where even human capital itself is being cut from productivity.

And we have an entire generation in power who have never lived in a world where this was normal for their peer group. It gives me great fear to believe the people in office, close to being the age of senior citizens, will really have the answers we need.

Instead we have the Mark Zuckerberg's talking about this, but to them, he's a Communist by even suggesting things like UBI...

emag

Just roughly $2000 above the median for my state(CT)...it's cool at the moment since I have a really affordable place I'm renting.

Dafuq is going on in D.C.? I'm assuming it's government jobs and what not?

DC is a city; its median wages aren't dragged down by rural areas. If other major cities were separated from the rest of their states, you'd likely see something similar.

Google

I'm in a total bubble. I'm in Vancouver (which obviously isnt featured here) but cannot fathom how people are living on such wages.

Foffy

Banned
I'm in a total bubble. I'm in Vancouver (which obviously isnt featured here) but cannot fathom how people are living on such wages.

They're not, especially if you are looking to the ideas of the previous generation.

Living with family or roommates, which is frowned upon for many at the age they are now because it's such a jump from the Boomers able to go out and get anything by themselves.

Google

They're not, especially if you are looking to the ideas of the previous generation.

Living with family or roommates, which is frowned upon for many at the age they are now because it's such a jump from the Boomers able to go out and get anything by themselves.

What? When was that a thing?

My parents didnt own their own home (which was a 2 bedroom flat outside of London) until they were into their 30's and they worked their asses off for it with multiple jobs while raising me.

Havok1313

How in the fuck is the median income for millennials a whopping $43,000 in D.C.?!

As said, D.C. is all urban. There are no rural areas to bring the median down. If you were to look at NYC or San Francisco by themselves you would probably see similar numbers. Also 43k is shit in D.C. you aren't getting anywhere with that.

Weevilone

Tangent, but man did some of the baby boomers make out.

Pensions in the private sector are basically a thing of the past, but hey we got 401k's at least. I know a lot of boomers that got the pension, the 401k, the still solvent Social Security, and the company they retired from is subsidizing their healthcare. I have friends in this situation, many of whom retired and got the pension check started up circa 2000 or so and have been double dipping the 6 figure salaries since then. And they still bitch!

I'm stuck in the middle, so not screwed as bad as the youngsters (in some ways), but nowhere near the good fortune of those just before me. Those folks got a whole different set of rules.

How in the fuck is the median income for millennials a whopping $43,000 in D.C.?!

100% urban population means it's going to skew a bit compared to the other 50 states.

Tangent, but man did some of the baby boomers make out.

Pensions in the private sector are basically a thing of the past, but hey we got 401k's at least. I know a lot of boomers that got the pension, the 401k, the still solvent Social Security, and the company they retired from is subsidizing their healthcare. I have friends in this situation, many of whom retired and got the pension check started up circa 2000 or so and have been double dipping the 6 figure salaries since then. And they still bitch!

I'm stuck in the middle, so not screwed as bad as the youngsters (in some ways), but nowhere near the good fortune of those just before me. Those folks got a whole different set of rules.

They'll feel it when their millennial kids can't pay for their nursing homes. What goes around comes around.

100% urban population means it's going to skew a bit compared to the other 50 states.

They'll feel it when their millennial kids can't pay for their nursing homes. What goes around comes around.

And the Millennials will feel it doubly worse when they can't even afford to get a colonoscopy or go to a doctor for even a routine screening and they die of something as treatable as colon cancer before they turn 50. Meanwhile their baby boomer parents die in a hospital nursing ward instead of a nursing home while they go senile; blissfully unaware they are each bleeding the hospital's finances dry. Yeah they sure are going to get their comeuppance.

G.ZZZ

This is all propaganda. Our market is freer than ever before, and as such, economist tell us that we must be richer than ever.

#freemarket #capitalism #personalresponsibility #corporationsarepeople

Theonik

That's kind depressing. I was making more than that in university and I thought I was getting screwed over.

G.ZZZ

It just goes to show you just how out of touch people are. I just don't get how any of you can disbelieve this.

Social forums have always been bubbles. GAF skew more well-off, liberal dudes. Just look how white the gaming community is (except for the figthing one), for example.

The angry youtube comments are the real people out there. GAF is fake.

That's more in line of what I expected. I nearly developed a skewed view on what was the widespread regular income in the world (or states) because there seemingly are a lot of very wealthy people posting on GAF throwing numbers around most people (me included) can only dream of and making them look like regular basic income that everyone should have.

I guess the cost of living is way higher in the US because those numbers seem pretty good to me.

For reference the median salary for people under 25 is roughly $7.5k in France.

Foffy

Banned
I guess the cost of living is way higher in the US because those numbers seem pretty good to me.

Nearly 40% of Americans make less than $24,000 a year. 37% if you want to be specific.

That's a huge number of people who are crazy poor in the wealthiest nation in the history of the human species.

Xando

That seems very low (From german point of view). I was making 10-20k when i was in university. Now at 24 i'm at 43k + bonus at the end of the year.

Cipherr

Holy shit at 23k ish. Yeah, no wonder millennials are raging. It would be difficult to live comfortably on that low of a salary in even the most inexpensive states when SINGLE with no freaking kids.

G.ZZZ

Americans pay in the thousands to the tens of thousands each year for health insurance, which is free in the EU. Childcare i know is also crazy expensive compared to the EU. College is a huge cost and most young workers have to pay debts. EU citizens rarely have debt, and if they do, they're usually in deep shit.

Life is more or less expensive depending on where you live, obviously.

And yeah, Italy has a similar number, like 6k € an year median for under 30s. For people who work. With 40% unemployment. But then you have free healthcare, lots of unemployement benefit, and up to 2-3k extra an year from various welfare measures (housing, family, childcare etc...)

Nearly 40% of Americans make less than $24,000 a year. 37% if you want to be specific.

That's a huge number of people who are crazy poor in the wealthiest nation in the history of the human species.

To be able to make 24k in France you'll most likely need at least a bachelor degree, and even then you can libe in most city with maybe as low as 18k a month. That's why I say that the cost of living must be higher.

That seems very low (From german point of view). I was making 10-20k when i was in university. Now at 24 i'm at 43k + bonus at the end of the year.

It's the median salary for everyone between 16 and 25. Since its not very common to work in high school the numbers are a bit skewed. Add to that the fact that a lot of young people only work during the summer or part time, the number end up being pretty low.

Americans pay in the thousands to the tens of thousands each year for health insurance, which is free in the EU. Childcare i know is also crazy expensive compared to the EU. College is a huge cost and most young workers have to pay debts. EU citizens rarely have debt, and if they do, they're usually in deep shit.

Life is more or less expensive depending on where you live, obviously.

And yeah, Italy has a similar number, like 6k € an year median for under 30s. For people who work. With 40% unemployment. But then you have free healthcare, lots of unemployement benefit, and up to 2-3k extra an year from various welfare measures (housing, family, childcare etc...)

Yeah but I really didn't expect that to affect them so much so that they need 3 times the salary we "need".

Foffy

Banned
To be able to make 24k in France you'll most likely need at least a bachelor degree, and even then you can libe in most city with maybe as low as 18k a month. That's why I say that the cost of living must be higher.

Costs have been decoupled from income in America since the 1970s.

Look at the American income as what happens when it's decoupled from productivity and the fact at least half the people making that much money have debt to their eyeballs.

This generation doesn't own property or even cars for a reason, and it's not being renunciates.

If people got degrees and jobs that really required that degree in America, I can easily state that the numbers you see for each state should at least double. That's been cut, too.

This makes me feel worse than I already do. I'm nowhere near 20,000 even on a good year. I feel so sad and desperate now being jobless off and on. I'm just tired of playing this game hoping that someone will call me for an interview and if they accept me. Sometimes I cry because I feel like I'm never going to amount to shit.
Stop using NipplesAndToes23@hotmail.com as your contact email

But srs hope thing go well for ya soon :(

G.ZZZ

Yeah but I really didn't expect that to affect them so much so that they need 3 times the salary we "need".

My bro went to San Fran last year, and he make 150k $ an year. He is worse off now than when he lived in Milan making 25k € an year. Especially since the rent that get paid on his second house here in italy was a significant help when he was making 25k € an year (he got like 8k € an year from renting it), but it's irrilevant compared to its 150k $ salary.

maxcriden

College age kids make up a very low percentage of millennials at this point, though. The years they're using are kids born from 1981-1997, i.e.people aged 20-36. The overwhelming majority of those people are out of college and in the workforce.

This is the info I was looking to find. Thank you. That is absolutely insane. Does the data show what the averages would be if adjusted for only those with at least a bachelor's degree? Is so, are they much higher?

kabel

How the fuck do people get by on that amount of money?

I don't know about the US but I'm making 12k€/year net and living just fine here in Berlin.
For reference I pay 420€/month rent for an 52m²(560 sqft) apartment

I guess you all have to pay huge amounts for insurance/health care?

It all looks very sensational, but it includes part-timers which a large number of the people in their range are still going to be because of school. I don't think this data provides anything useful with that included. If they could show the average of full-time millennial workers, then we'd know something worthwhile (especially if it compared far below what the earlier generation got).

For the numbers as they are, if these are after taxes, it's really not all that surprising, even for California. My first full time job in LA netted barely 24k, and I was a college educated (with work experience) 27 year old (back in 2007). And you can live in the city on that on your own (your own place, no roommates) if you're frugal and don't buy into the "I need this, this, and this," mentality. Still lower than it should be, though.

Dyle

Thinking about this again, it really shows how much trouble we're in. I make just above the average before tax, working two jobs, 44 hours a week. The one job is one I love doing that is, in terms of the work I'm doing, a dream job, but the pay is only $15/hr for 20hr a week. The other is an easy but unfufilling customer service job at $8.25/hr (was $7.25/hr until a couple weeks ago). I'm making it work, but really only because my parents cover my health insurance, car insurance, phone, etc. If I had to pay for that stuff it would basically wipe out the amount I'm saving every month, even though I'm living as frugally as possible; I spend about half my monthly income on rent, power, internet, and gas to commute to my jobs, so the rest is all I have to live on. I'm hoping to move up or be promoted to full time next year, but still it's more difficult than I expected, even though I knew that entering a field dominated by non-profits would not be a financial gold mine.

Hopefully things look up for me eventually, but it'll take a while to get there

As someone who makes considerably more than the median yet is still somewhat struggling in California, I'm wondering how people even make it here. Hopefully the minimum wage changes to reflect the high cost of living here.

molotrok

I don't know about the US but I'm making 12k€/year net and living just fine here in Berlin.
For reference I pay 420€/month rent for an 52m²(560 sqft) apartment

I guess you all have to pay huge amounts for insurance/health care?
I make 32k a year in Florida and I still live with my parents. I pay all the utilities, which are around 500 a month. If I tried to live on my own I would have to spend at least 800 for a 1 bedroom apt. Plus car payment ( you need a reliable car since you everything is so far apart), and insurance is another 600 a month. I don't even have health insurance since it would be a considerably large extra bill.

Im not scraping by by any means, but its not exactly easy on 32k I cant imagine getting by on 20k or less.

I apparently make above the median for Maine. It sure doesn't feel like it and I don't know how that makes me feel.

I guess that explains why everyone leaves the state.

Top Bottom